Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: smicha6551]
      #92889 - 29/12/07 12:29 PM

Quote:

It seems that most of the Krieghoff double rifles in the Big Five range are in .470 Nitro, but I understand that .458 Win Mag is also offered. I'm looking to buy one after going down to the NRA convention, and my thoughts were that one in .458 would be somewhat easier on the shoulder, and as the cost of ammunition would be so much less I'd actually be able to practice shooting it a bit. I realize that .470 offers a bit more punch, but also has a rim, while the .458 only has a belt. Does anyone know of any issues with the rifles in .458 that would dissuade you? I intend on bringing this rifle to Africa for lion and buff.

Well, smicha6551, you have been given both sides of this issue, and I’m not sure you are going to like either of them 100 %!

Unlike Steve (Shakari) I can live with the de-cocking system of the Krieghoff double rifle, but like him I prefer the old safety system. What I can’t abide is the Krieghoff rifle it’s self. It doesn’t fit me, and IMO, handles like a well-made fence post, but not much like a well-made double rifle!

I do think the de-cocking system of the Krieghoff rifle is very safe, and works similar to an exposed hammer double rifle, that is only cocked when you are ready to shoot, not carried that way. It is true that the hammerless double rifle of conventional design, if carried loaded, depends on a safety to avoid an accidental discharge. The rifle looks safe because you don’t see the hammers cocked, because they are hidden within the action, but the little safety button is all that keeps the rifle from firing if a trigger is touched.

The Krieghoff system is far better than the Blazer system, which most think is the same, but it isn’t. The Blazer is automatically placed on DE-COCK every time the rifle is broken open to re-load. This is not the case with the Krieghoff, as it re-cocks the rifle on breaking open for a re-load, so the rifle is ready for the next two shot, without having the manually re-cocking the rifle. The Blazer is like having an automatic safety that can’t be disengaged, and must be remembered each time the rifle is broken open to re-load. Forget it, and you get run down by a big Buffalo, while pulling desperately on a trigger!

Next is the use of rimless, and/or belted rimless cartridges in a double rifle. Almost any maker will chamber these in their double rifles on request, and a few are made for the off the shelf makers as regular stock. First it is not the best idea anyone ever had, and was done first because the availability of the classic NE flanged rounds got scarce, and the 458 Win Mag had vied to take the place of them in bolt rifles, and was the only regular supply of large cartridge available. 400 Nitro Express gave you the reasons this type of cartridge is not the best choice for a double rifle, and he is 100 % correct in his opinion. There is one other reason the 458 Win Mag is not the best idea, in MY opinion. That has two sides! One is the fact that the 458 Win Mag is a very high-pressure cartridge, and the other is, that the 458 Win Mag had some issues of it’s own, even in bolt rifles. Some will tell you this is not the case, and they are right today, but they also deny the fact that the 458 win Mag ever had issues. That is a little like the Prez of Iran denying the holocaust took place, and is a little like sticking one’s head in the sand so the lions can’t see them. The 458 Win Mag had some very serious malfunctions in the field back in the 50s, and early 60s. Some that could have gotten some people killed. Because of the powders that were available in the early days of the 458 win Mag’s existence, the powder was compressed, and over a short time would become caked, and cause either misfires, or hang fires, neither of which are desirable when standing a charge of a serious BITE-BACK! Winchester had the 375 H&H length action in their Mod 70, and all that was needed was to open the 375 case up to 458. There would have never been a problem, even with the powders of that day, if they had. What they would have had would have been the 458 LOTT, what the 458 Win Mag should have been in the first place. It would have worked fine in the mod 70, and would have made a real impression on the PHs of Africa, and I think would still be the darling of African PHs. That fact is made by the number of PHs today who use the 458 LOTT.

JPK has used the 458 Win Mag in his very fine double rifle without a problem so far. JPK,however, is smart enough to do a lot of shooting with that rifle, and experiment with a lot of hand loads to make sure they work flawlessly in his rifle. I understand his love for his rifle, because it hasn’t failed him in any way, and has given him some fine trophies in Africa, without a hick-cough! Like he says if his rifle screws up, all he will do is re-chamber it to 450NE 3 ¼” , and go on about his business. If not his rifle shoots fine the way it is. IOM, his experience is a fluke, and not one I’d want to spend $15K hoping I’d get the same fluke! I told JPK when he bought his rifle, if it had been me, I would not have even taken the rifle home till it had been re-chambered to 450NE 3 ¼”, or 450NE No 2. and if needed, re-regulated. As 400 says there is a reason 458 Win Mag double rifle are thousands less that a classically chambered double of the same quality. The belted rimless, high-pressure cartridge is the reason. I’m glad, however JPK had the luck he had with his rifle, but I don’t think his luck is representative of so chambered double rifles, much of the time.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #92904 - 29/12/07 05:14 PM

No worries about me ever getting the Blaser double rifle - why they designed it so it doesn't recock when reloaded is beyond me. The barrel overhang didn't sit well with me when I saw it.

One day I'll get by the SCI convention (due to some work and family issues it won't be this year) and I'll do a "feel off" though I'm not sure what's the difference in how they should feel. The only one's I've felt and decided that were just wrong for me were the Blaser and the Merkel - I didn't like the bit for the crossbolt sticking out.

Now that Hornady is loading .450/400 and .450, I can't see going to .458 any longer. Further, .450/400 sounds like a better load by my standards. No more rimless DR ideas from me.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
      #93063 - 31/12/07 04:06 PM

The point being you don't weight till the middle of a charge to take the safety off so why would you weight to cock your Krieghoff. The thing I like is it is absolutely safe when not cocked. You don’t have to recock it after a reload so it doesn’t slow you down that way. After you practice with the Krieghoff you will find the safety to be second nature as it should be and when you have game in your sights you won’t notice the slight increase in effort to move the safety lever.
Bill

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #93118 - 01/01/08 07:46 AM

Quote:

The point being you don't weight till the middle of a charge to take the safety off so why would you weight to cock your Krieghoff.

Sorry, but that's a particularly irresponsible statement, as what you describe is unsafe gun handling procedure. The safety is disengaged only when the rifle is mounted to shoot. If you've stopped, mounted the rifle and are waiting on the shot, fine, the safety can be off. At any other time, the safety of a rifle or shotgun should be "on". This is especially true when you're under stress and expecting the need for a snap shot any second - because people make mistakes under stress, and that's when failure to follow proper procedures are so potentially fatal. That's why safety procedures are drilled - so that you'll do what you trained under stress.

One of the most important aspects of good safety design is speed of use and, unfortunately, it's also the one most often ignored. With a long gun, if having the safety engaged makes ANY difference in the elapsed time between "Oh shit" and "bang", whether the shooter is expecting a snap shot or not, then there are only have two choices: 1) the shooter hasn't mastered the weapon well enough yet to be using it in the field, or 2) poor design - and this is more true with the double rifle than any other weapon. With a good design, and a competent shooter, there's zero incentive to punch off the safety until the instant the shot is wanted, as doing so offers zero speed advantage, and therefore, no incentive to violate safety procedure. Safety designs become inherently more dangerous as they become more cumbersome, because of the user's tendency to avoid the problem by punching the safety off prematurely. I was very nearly killed when another hunter did exactly what you described for exactly that reason, and have zero tolerance for such nonsense.

Quote:

The thing I like is it is absolutely safe when not cocked.

A safety that renders the weapon inert when on safe is fine, but it doesn't do a damn bit of good when it isn't engaged, and the K-gun design encourages that condition for too many.

Quote:

After you practice with the Krieghoff you will find the safety to be second nature as it should be and when you have game in your sights you won’t notice the slight increase in effort to move the safety lever.

I have a lot of time in with the Krieghoff, and find none of that statement to be true. The "increase in effort" certainly isn't "slight". I understand what Steve meant when he wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure there's a lot of folks out there who will disagree with me but I personally think that silly cocking lever/safety catch takes away all the advantages of having a double rifle. One of the main requirements of a Damgerous Game rifle is that you can get it into action very quickly.....

Gregor Woods tried one, and gave the same opinion of it in his book "Rifles for Africa". Like a lot of other folks, I couldn't agree more.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #93121 - 01/01/08 08:18 AM

Quote:

The thing I like is it is absolutely safe when not cocked.
Bill

Nope it isent. I dont care if its got decockers, not cockers, un-cockers, sear safetys, hammerblocks, inertia pins, accua triggers or anything else.

If it is loaded, it is deadly.

Too many people get killed in the most rediculious combinations of happenstance to be convinced outherwise.

Regards

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: Bramble]
      #93214 - 02/01/08 12:07 PM

Will,

Interesting point you've made. You aren't the only one to shoot the Kreighoff 470 at 2250fps and report good "regulation" and accuracy. PH Rich Tabor, who I've hunted with quite a bit, loads his 470 Kreighoff to 2250fps with Woodleigh solids and reports that it is holding up fine and shoots well too.

One thing about 458wm doubles is that, at least in my experience, powder choice lets you have several full bullet weight loads at varrying velocities which will all shoot to regulation. But given that you've got to get the rifle to shoot to the original regulation there is, again - at least in my rifle's case, a velocity peak well below what you could push a bolt rifle with the same barrel length (given, of course the same chamber dimensions, etc...), or you could reregulate I suppose. My rifle is maxed out on velocity which will shoot to regulation, so far as I've found, with a mild to midlin' load of AA 2230 at 2145fps at the muzzles. 26" barrels really help I think.

JPK

JPK
.375 member

#93216 - 02/01/08 12:20 PM

Quote:

The point being you don't weight till the middle of a charge to take the safety off so why would you weight to cock your Krieghoff. The thing I like is it is absolutely safe when not cocked. You don’t have to recock it after a reload so it doesn’t slow you down that way. After you practice with the Krieghoff you will find the safety to be second nature as it should be and when you have game in your sights you won’t notice the slight increase in effort to move the safety lever.
Bill

Bill,

I do wait, and, just like when shooting ducks or geese with a double - or any shotgun, disengage the safety as the gun is mounted. I can tell you that if I were to disengage the safety prior to that when shooting birds I'd be kicked out of my hunt clubs. A "click" in a blind or pit while birds are working never fails to raise an inquiry and a stern warning for the offender, as it should.
Beecause I disengage the safety on the mount when shooting skeet or clays or duck hunting or whenever, if I were to do differently with my DR's, even while being charged, I would run the risk of disturbing my mount, which, imo, is what a quick and accurate shooting, even with a DR rifle is founded on.

On the other hand, while I am not comfortable with the Kreighoff decocking system, I do value its safety and think that anyone who can walk and chew gum can become accustomed to it with practice and become as fast and smooth as a fellow accustomed to the typical safety slide.

JPK

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #93226 - 02/01/08 03:46 PM

Quote:

Bill

Charges can and do happen when you least expect it and although I do like the De cocking safty in rifles like my blaser, I prefer the standard safety in the big doubles as they are faster IMO.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: ozhunter]
      #93227 - 02/01/08 03:58 PM

Go one better.

I have any auto safety feature removed from all
but collector pieces and if I'm hunting in thick
stuff I don't have the safety on anyway.

3 days ago I took a full on charge from a scrub bull
from 30 feet or so and it was a classic case of why I
don't use safety's.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #93235 - 02/01/08 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The point being you don't weight till the middle of a charge to take the safety off so why would you weight to cock your Krieghoff.

Sorry, but that's a particularly irresponsible statement, as what you describe is unsafe gun handling procedure. The safety is disengaged only when the rifle is mounted to shoot. If you've stopped, mounted the rifle and are waiting on the shot, fine, the safety can be off. At any other time, the safety of a rifle or shotgun should be "on". This is especially true when you're under stress and expecting the need for a snap shot any second - because people make mistakes under stress, and that's when failure to follow proper procedures are so potentially fatal. That's why safety procedures are drilled - so that you'll do what you trained under stress.

I disagree it is a "irresponsible statement". When I start a stalk on dangerous game my rifle is (corrected from "un-cocked" to) safety off.. Indeed EVERY PH I have used would probably insist on it. What do you do, stalk up to a herd of cow elephants, step in front of one at 20 yards and THEN ONLY uncock your rifle as you mount the double rifle! Just adding another thing to possibly forget or go wrong in the heat of the moment.

I actually like the idea of a double rifle which can be uncocked like this but don't personally have one. As in a 'normal' double rifle one chambers the rounds usually during the whole hunt, and only unloads it when entering vehicles, buildings or when setting the rifle aside during a rest break. Otherwise the whole time one is relying on the safety mechanism, and on personal safety procedures such as pointing the rifle in a safe direction. How many hunting videos do we see where as the client works his way through bushes, crawling along etc, do we see the muzzle pointing directly at the cameraman! I could name a yearly set of videos and everyone would show this problem. While any mechanical device should be treated with caution, at least an uncocked double adds a margin. A bolt action rifle can have the magazine loaded ready to chamber a round, but to carry a double rifle with unloaded chambers when in the middle of a herd of buffalo or elephant isn't really an option.

I think the fact PHs often carry their rifles a lot and shoot little is why many like this feature. If they want a double in preference to a bolt, then it allows a certain compromise.

Quote:

Gregor Woods tried one, and gave the same opinion of it in his book "Rifles for Africa". Like a lot of other folks, I couldn't agree more.

A great thing about the world is lots of people have different opinions and experiences. Which is why manufacturers offer different features for the markets they are serving.

In Europe in particular, rightly or wrongly, it seems they are moving towards requiring rifles to be able to be decocked. Certainly we are seeing more and more rifles, including double rifles, drillings etc going to these sorts of designs. IMO this IS overkill. Certainly if shooting from a hochsitz or high seat, the rifle should not be loaded until one is in position. Then loaded with the safety on while waiting for a shot to be presented. Similarly with driven game hunts. There is no need to load the rifle until one is in the line in position and ready until the drive begins and the hunter is facing the right direction for safe shooting. The only advantages would be when stalking game with a break open style firearm.

One thing about this un-cocking vs safety mechanism debates is what about all the old vintage manually cocked double rifles and shotguns? Usually no safety at all. Here the hunter would need to carry the DR un-cocked until very close to the time of taking a shot. The speed of cocking these doubles too is much slower than slipping off a safety or using a modern un-cocking "safety". But I would still use an appropriate DR of one of these if I had one in a suitable calibre.

The old manual hammer models do show a decided disadvantage to more modern designs which is why they were superseded.

If we look at cold hard facts, how many PHs or clients have "failed" as a result of the use of one of these uncocking type safeties?

When it comes to a flanged cartridge vs an un-flanged cartridge I think a flanged cartridge is always preferential to a rimless one in a break open gun or rifle.

However it would not stop me from using say a .375 H&H Mag in a double on a DG hunt if that is what I wanted to use. an ejector model in one would be again preferential.

Personal choices, hey? Everyone lives by their own personal choices.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (03/01/08 02:53 AM)

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: NitroX]
      #93246 - 02/01/08 11:04 PM

I think I need to give the Krieghoff safety a try. The Blaser (R93) safety slide is a little slower for me to activate than other tang safeties I've used. I don't know if it would really make much of a difference in how quickly I personally could get a shot off. I don't like the idea of walking around with a cocked and locked gun, which is why I'm not a big 1911 fan. If the striking mechanisim isn't cocked, the gun isn't going off, and I like that. Of course, it's not a replacement for pointing the gun in a safe direction but things happen in the field, and guns get dropped, and I'd rather tilt the odds in my favor.

JPK
.375 member

#93250 - 03/01/08 12:58 AM

Quote from Nitrox: "When I start a stalk on dangerous game my rifle is un-cocked. Indeed EVERY PH I have used would probably insist on it. What do you do, stalk up to a herd of cow elephants, step in front of one at 20 yards and THEN ONLY uncock your rifle as you mount the double rifle! Just adding another thing to possibly forget or go wrong in the heat of the moment."

By "uncock" I suppose you mean that you slide the safety to "fire" at some point during the approach and well prior to mounting the rifle. I don't think this is being reckless as others might but jeez, do I think it adds the opportunity to screw up the "first" mount. And yes, for me the safety is only flicked of when the rifle is mounted, no matter how close the ele is.

I think that the shooter should do the exact same, every time he mounts the gun. Since shooting ducks, geese, clays, quail, etc, is so much more common than shooting elephants, and you don't walk through the grouse woods or quail tangles or duck marshes with your safety on "fire" and don't slide the safety to "fire" until the mount, that this is what should be done every time. And if you continue this practice on the skeet fields and rifle ranges it just becomes second nature.

WRT eles, or buff, I don't flick the safety until I mount the rifle. This is in no way slower and in no way handicaps the shot. If you can do this and hit tight crossing clay target, a duck or goose moving 40 or 50 miles an hour, maybe more downwind, with a grouse that launches in the typical thick brush at your feet, with a covey of quail that erupts in front to the sides and behind you all at the same time, you can surely do this with any four legged creature.

JPK

JPK
.375 member

#93253 - 03/01/08 01:24 AM

Smitcha 6551,

Don't overlook a rifle with intercepting sears and a bolted saftey. (intercepting sears = a set of secondary sears which prevent a hammer from falling unless the appropriate trigger has been pulled; bolted safety = (for hammerless DG rifles) a swinging lever which blocks the safety from moving to fire unless it is disengaged.)

Disengaging both a bolted safety and the standard slide safety is slower than the rifle with the bolt already disengages and swung out of the way, but the option of how you carry the rifle at any given moment is entirely up to the shooter. With the bolt engaged, the system will be slower than the Kreighoff for sure, but then again, jow the rifle is carried at the moment is up to the shooter.

I carry my rifle with the bolt engaged when fast action seems unlikely, but as most know, action can occur at any moment. I had an opportunity to test how fast my use of the bolt was when while on ele tracks in Chewore South a cow came boiling out of the bush at us. The bolt was swung before the thought crossed my mind and the rifle was ready when needed. The charge was mock, but if it had gone the other way, I was ready.

Here are photos of my rifle with the bolted safety:

JPK

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: JPK]
      #93264 - 03/01/08 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote from Nitrox:
By "uncock" I suppose you mean that you slide the safety to "fire" at some point during the approach and well prior to mounting the rifle. I don't think this is being reckless as others might but jeez, do I think it adds the opportunity to screw up the "first" mount. And yes, for me the safety is only flicked of when the rifle is mounted, no matter how close the ele is.

Yes that was a typo ie the "uncock". I meant the safety taken off. Thinking about it again I probably take the safety off when about to shoulder a double or when getting into final position. It is instinctive so I after reading your post I had to think it over again and what I typed in the original post was not correct.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #93286 - 03/01/08 06:48 AM

Quote:

400NitroExpress wrote:

Sorry, but that's a particularly irresponsible statement, as what you describe is unsafe gun handling procedure. The safety is disengaged only when the rifle is mounted to shoot.

...That's why safety procedures are drilled - so that you'll do what you trained under stress.

I'm not saying that I disagree with you when it comes to hunters in general, but I can guarantee you that very many soldiers worldwide have their safeties off when walking around with loaded rifles. The safety they use is the one between their ears, having their trigger finger alongside the trigger guard until ready to fire, and keeping their barrel pointed in as safe a direction as possible. Just like they've been drilled to do under stress.

And if a soldier is able to do so safely even when surrounded by team mates front and back in a CQB situation, why shouldn't a hunter? Providing he/she drills as much as they should of course.

Not that all hunters are able to reach that level of training (in fact I'd say the majority should definitely have the safety on until mounting their rifle/shotgun), but just pointing out that there are actually grey areas when it comes to what can be considered safe and un-safe gun handling procedures.

Just as JPK mentions though, I've never had trouble flicking off the safety on my shotgun when hunting birds, and do so when shooting clay pigeons too just for the practice/drill. Still, I find it most reassuring to keep my finger along the trigger guard until I shoot, regardless of which position the safety is in. I almost feel physically ill when I see some bozo with his finger inside the trigger guard while sneaking in on game, even if only on film...

Erik

JPK
.375 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: NitroX]
      #93287 - 03/01/08 06:49 AM

Nitrox,

Since it is instictive, you must do it the same every time and that was my point.

For me, it is when the decision to shoot is made and as the gun is being mounted. I only shoot shotguns with sliding tang safeties for this reason whether the gun is a pump or a double.

JPK

Edited by JPK (03/01/08 07:03 AM)

JPK
.375 member

#93288 - 03/01/08 06:53 AM

Eric D wrote, " Still, I find it most reassuring to keep my finger along the trigger guard until I shoot, regardless of which position the safety is in. I almost feel physically ill when I see some bozo with his finger inside the trigger guard while sneaking in on game, even if only on film..."

Ain't that the truth!

JPK

Bramble
.375 member

#93294 - 03/01/08 09:16 AM

Quote and you don't walk through the grouse woods or quail tangles or duck marshes with your safety on "fire" and don't slide the safety to "fire" until the mount Quote.

It is interesting how the norm differs from place to place and this is an observation not a criticism. Here, if shooting in company, one would not walk as described with the gun closed. Rather it would be loaded but not closed and if a bird broke cover the gun would be closed and mounted in one opperation.
Hence perhaps my earlier comment about safety catches et al. My shotguns and my double all have non automatic safeties. We were taught as children never ever to trust a safety catch of whatever design and not to close a loaded gun until about to shoot. Perhaps our driven shooting promotes this rather than walked up shooting.

JPK
.375 member

#93297 - 03/01/08 09:47 AM

Bramble,

Interesting note. We too are taught not to trust a mechanical safety and that the first rule of gun safety is to never point a gun at something you don't want to shoot or where you can't see what might get shot.

I suspect that the issue isn't walked up shooting but rather the prevelance of pumps and semi autos over here.

On the other hand, every photo that I have seen of guns on the line awaiting driven birds has featured the shooter with a closed double, obviously loaded as he stands looking for incoming birds. Other photos, where it is clear that the shooter is relaxed and not focussed to his front may show an open gun. Is this normal - the closed, unmounted but ready to mount gun in the hands of the shooter awaiting driven birds?

JPK

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #93299 - 03/01/08 10:52 AM

Bird-shooting with an open double-gun is not uncommon in my neck of the woods, mainly wing-shooting waterfowl under flight-paths. However, hunting DG on foot is an entirely different matter.

A single spear-grass seed or tiny twig on the flats of a properly-made DR may render it unable to be fully closed in an instant, or closed sufficiently to be safely fired. Indeed, the problem may not be immediately apparent and even if the shooter realises what has happened, the business of clearing the obstruction while facing down a DG charge could very easily be fatal.

What's more, the second barrel, the oft-touted raison d'etre of DRs for DG, would be equally unavailable.

Double rifles simply must be closed when stalking dangerous game.

Other than that, I agree with the other posters above: flicking a tang-safety forward as you mount a DR should be so instinctive as to be a completely unconscious action. Extensive practice with automatic-safety double shot-guns is probably the least expensive way to achieve this.

Of course, the real trick is remembering to re-engage the safety immediately if for some reason the shot is not taken! ..and this applies to the Krieghoff decocker as well.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: Marrakai]
      #93303 - 03/01/08 11:32 AM

JPK

Yes that is about it. The closed gun waiting for birds with the muzzels pointing up is very common now. It seems to be more so as the O/U has become the gun of choice on all but the very best shoots. This is I think because the gape makes them slower to close and also that people are becoming more anxious to shoot their "share" of the bag as shooting becomes more expensive and people take less days each year. And also people use their guns less and are less familier with their handeling, it is concious thought and not second nature.
However unless rough shooting alone it would be very much frowned on to move through woods or cover with a closed gun.

Marrakai.

Yes indeed, I was discussing it in the shotgun context rather than the DR. The point about re-engaging the safety is well made, that is why I like non auto safeties as you never assume it is on unless you did so yourself.

Regards

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#93322 - 03/01/08 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, but that's a particularly irresponsible statement, as what you describe is unsafe gun handling procedure.

I disagree it is a "irresponsible statement".

John:

I must say that I'm amazed by this particular segment of this string. I'll say again, it was an irresponsible statement.

Quote:

When I start a stalk on dangerous game my rifle is (corrected from "un-cocked" to) safety off.. Indeed EVERY PH I have used would probably insist on it.

I really think that you've misunderstood them somehow. If not, let me know who you've hunted with, so that I don't make that mistake.

Quote:

What do you do, stalk up to a herd of cow elephants, step in front of one at 20 yards and THEN ONLY uncock your rifle as you mount the double rifle! Just adding another thing to possibly forget or go wrong in the heat of the moment.

I don't really know what to say, other than we are on totally different pages on this one. Your question leaves me stunned and rather speechless. If a pedestrian walked out onto the road 75 feet in front of you while you're driving along it at 70 MPH, would you forget to stand on the brake pedal or turn the wheel to try to miss him? How in the world could someone forget something as fundamental and reflexive as punching the safety off as they shoulder the rifle to shoot? If you have to "remember" to do it - if doing it requires any conscious thought at all - you're not familiar enough with the weapon to know how to use it safely in the field.

Quote:

While any mechanical device should be treated with caution, at least an uncocked double adds a margin.

It adds no safety margin whatsoever if you're stalking with it cocked!

Safe gun handling has many facets, and proper use of the safety is only one of them. But, NO safety can work if it isn't engaged. Gee, maybe Bramble is right, perhaps there ARE differences in how this is done around the world, although I find that impossible to credit. When you say;

Quote:

When I start a stalk on dangerous game, my rifle is (corrected from "un-cocked" to) safety off..

...you're saying that you actually HUNT (stalk, which means to me that you're walking forward on game, and not standing with the gun mounted waiting for a clear shot) with the safety OFF? I can guarantee you that anyone who would suggest that in conversation, let alone actually do it, would not be welcome to hunt with anyone I've ever hunted with in this country. If a hunting partner of mine caught me doing that, I'd be GONE, and would feel lucky not to be beaten senseless for it.

I once hunted with a guy who was having trouble getting the safety of his double gun off quickly enough to shoot before the pheasants we were walking up were out of range, so he decided to "stalk" with it off safe, figuring that he had his safety "between his ears" anyway. The first barrel of his accidental discharge missed me by inches. His second barrel (he actually managed to pull off both) hit another guy in the trouser cuff at maybe 10 feet range, without hitting meat. Needless to say, he was immediately disarmed, his kit packed for him, and escorted off the property poste haste. Had we known about what he was doing before the AD, the result would have been the same.

That the game may be dangerous makes no difference. There's no game animal as dangerous to the guys in your party as a rifle bullet or a CQ shotgun blast. Sure, we all try to be cognizant of gun safety at all times, but it's delusional to believe that you can ALWAYS control the muzzle and protect the trigger under ALL circumstances. Nobody can - and so the safety. When hunting (stalking) with the gun loaded and the safety off (gun cocked), you're a rodent burrow away from a dead man. What's so senseless about it is that there is ZERO reason to hazard the risk (which is usually to someone else, rather than yourself). With a rifle that the user is thoroughly familiar with, and which has a safety of good design, there's not a nanosecond of speed gained by stalking with it off safe in the first place. Learning to disengage it instantly and instinctively (so that you never have to "remember" it) as part of the mount, preferably when the butt touches the shoulder, is as inseparable a part of learning how to shoot it as is learning how to load it. It's the users responsibility to learn how to do that and, because it's so simple to learn given the choice of the right gun, there's simply no defense to stalking with the gun off safe. If something about a given long gun's operating system (Greener side safety, Krieghoff cocker, etc.), makes me think that having the safety on will have any effect on my speed in getting off a snapshot needed by complete surprise, I don't buy it, and I sure as hell don't hunt with it.

Sorry to rant John, and I don't mean to cause offense but, to me, this one is as basic as not driving drunk.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in .458 Win Mag [Re: EricD]
      #93328 - 03/01/08 04:13 PM

Quote:

I can guarantee you that very many soldiers worldwide have their safeties off when walking around with loaded rifles. The safety they use is the one between their ears, having their trigger finger alongside the trigger guard until ready to fire, and keeping their barrel pointed in as safe a direction as possible. Just like they've been drilled to do under stress.

And if a soldier is able to do so safely even when surrounded by team mates front and back in a CQB situation, why shouldn't a hunter? Providing he/she drills as much as they should of course.

Not that all hunters are able to reach that level of training (in fact I'd say the majority should definitely have the safety on until mounting their rifle/shotgun), but just pointing out that there are actually grey areas when it comes to what can be considered safe and un-safe gun handling procedures.

That's true Erik, but I think two differences remove the "grey areas" entirely. I don't think that the level of risk associated with weapons accidents acceptable in war, or in the training for it (and deaths from such accidents occur in both) is acceptable in sport hunting. Also the difference in duration and intensity of training...

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#93333 - 03/01/08 05:43 PM

I have often found that there are two distinct types of shooters or hunters and of course many of us are in between. Range shooters and field hunters. Both experienced groups can be very safe and never have an accident.

Range shooters often tend to follow established shooting range procedures to the nth degree, at least the more extreme examples. They argue with people who do not walk around in the forest with an open bolt. Or a break action shotgun or rifle with it broken open. Their opinion is that it is unsafe to walk even a couple of steps with the rifle closed. Maybe there is fair enough when shooting on a range with many people around and everyone wanting to be seen as being 100% safe.

The other group, I have termed field hunters, which I tend to belong to personally, never visits an established target range in their life. They might hunt with a closed shotgun for rabbits or a closed bolt for deer or pigs. I have yet to understand how someone can shoot a flushed quail, rabbit or pig in a split second with your rifle or shotgun open? They may use a safety, un-cocking device but they rely on the rule that you never point your rifle at a person and keep the muzzle pointing in a safe direction. The firearm is unloaded when no longer hunting, when entering a vehicle or building, climbing through a fence or the chamber is emptied when leaning the rifle against a tree during a break.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#93334 - 03/01/08 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

400NE,

Going back to this statement. Why is it irresponsible to say your rifle should not be uncocked until the hunter is in the middle of a charge?

Bill's full post is below:
Quote:

Bill

To me, he is saying virtually exactly the same thing as you are saying? Note the bold sentence.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13063

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com