Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Test run

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
romojr
.224 member

Reged: 02/11/05
Loc: Louisiana
Test run
      #48707 - 31/01/06 01:55 PM

Great forum. I'm somewhat new to the forum but a long time observer. Anyhow, there's no doubt about it that there is something sexy about owning a double, however, my dream double, a Westley Richards .470NE or .500NE is not an affordable option at this time. A Searcy is within my budget and it appears to be a good option for a working gun, which I will likely purchase as part of my battery for a trip to Africa in '08 or '09. That being said, I've never shot a .470 or .500 and was curious about recoil.

Let me put a disclaimer on my big bore experience. I have never shot anything above a .375 H&H but I can shoot it reliaby with no problems. The recoil energy of a .375 H&H is about 36 foot lbs. For comparison, I can shoot a 12 bore 3 1/2" all day long. A 12 bore with 3" has a recoil energy of 54 foot lbs.

I know a .375 H&H and a 12 bore are in a different class than a .470 or .500. Can someone share with me what to expect relative to recoil? Further, if there is any member on this site in Louisiana with a .470 or .500, how about a test run? I'll pay for the ammo, all expenses for having to bring me to the hospital and beers to relieve the pain thereafter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Test run [Re: romojr]
      #48710 - 31/01/06 02:09 PM

A 470 is definately a step up from a 375. The 500 is even more. One thing you might consider is a Searcy Classic in 450/400 3".
I recommend you shoot a 470 or a 500 before you buy one.
But you will like a double for sure.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #48711 - 31/01/06 02:27 PM

romojr,

Welcome to the forum!

The problem with shotgun recoil comparisons and rifle recoil comparisons is that you shoot you 3 1/2" 12ga loads at moving targets with all of your concentration on the target. So you don't notice the recoil much.

You shoot a rifle at a stationary target with lots of concentration on the sights. So you notice recoil alot.

On game you don't notice the recoil of the rifle much. but to get good with the rifle you have to shoot alot of paper targets, thats when you notice the recoil most.

If your 3 1/2" shotgun can shoot slugs - mine can't with the regular shotgun barrel, so says the manufacterer - or with another shotgun, try shooting the fastest, heaviest slug from a bench, trying to line up the bead as a sight. Or buy a box of the 3 1/2" HeavyShot goose ammo and try it. You will be on the bottom end of the recoil sensation.

I find my 12ga pump set up with a rifled barrel and a scope pretty unpleasant to shoot off of a bench. I prefer my double rifle in 458wm from a standing position to my pump from a bench. Good news is that once you get your double shooting right you don't really have to go back to the bench. Also good news is that you can build a tolerance for recoil.

None of the nitro express cartridges are going to hurt you if your form is halfway passing and the gun comes close to fitting you. Guys have been shooting them for more than a century and if they were that bad they wouldn't be so popular or so effective.

Hope you find someone who will let you shoot their rifle. Unfortunately, I live in Maryland.

JPK

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #48716 - 31/01/06 03:27 PM

romojr

I am a little too far away to help.

When you do find someone to let you have a shot, don't shoot from a bench. Just hold it off-hand and have some shots that way.

I find my .450 hurts (cumulatively) when shooting using a standing rest (well I use a car bonnet so it is still too much bent over). By ten or so shots I am finished. I always try to take lighter recoiling rifle to shoot in between or afterwards. A .30-06 or .375 feels like nothing. But when shooting at game the recoil isn't really noticeable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

iwantadouble
.300 member

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Gallatin County, Montana
      #48829 - 01/02/06 10:26 PM

Another thought to consider is your own size in terms of how you feel recoil. A larger person is going to be more abused by the recoil of something large because subconciously they are used to being big and can take it, so they effectively do not roll with the punches persay. A smaller individual (I fit in this catagory at 5'9" and 175lbs) will be more apt to flow through the recoil than the big guy that does not move through the recoil as well. Of course, this is all from a standing position, and if you decided to shoot from a bench or prone (I've done that only once with a .375 and learned quickly why you don't do it), the size is going to be less of factor.

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

romojr
.224 member

Reged: 02/11/05
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Test run [Re: iwantadouble]
      #48843 - 01/02/06 11:56 PM

I'm 5'9", 170 lbs, so...but that is a great theory that I never thought about.

BTW, did I mention beers afterwards and I'll pay for the ammo for a test run.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #48852 - 02/02/06 01:22 AM

I do think that big guys can be pounded by recoil more than smaller guys. I don't think it is purely mental, I believe that physics has much to do with this. A big guy has more mass, thus inertia, and takes more to be moved. So the intial absorbtion of recoil to overcome the larger fellows' inertia is greater.

I don't find shooting a 375 prone to be an issue, maybe here a bigger guys greater mass helps absorb the recoil.

I'm 5'11" and if I'm really, really fit I'll go 215lbs. I'm still really fit at 225lbs.

JPK

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1930

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com