Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shooting doubles with two triggers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
Shooting doubles with two triggers
      #43178 - 06/12/05 06:06 AM

What is the proper way to shoot a double gun, with two triggers? I was bird hunting with a double shot gun and getting two shots off at a quail was tuff when using just one finger. And if I used two I doubled every time. This is a new side by side I just bought Sat. and went hunting Sun.

Colorado

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #43184 - 06/12/05 06:58 AM

Practise and practise and then you will not even think about it, but never use two fingers...

--------------------

Christer Hansson

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: cchunter]
      #43188 - 06/12/05 07:44 AM

As stated above:

"Practice, Practice and Practice. "
Front trigger then the rear trigger and only one finger.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #43190 - 06/12/05 07:48 AM

As the others said, it's a matter of practice. I use a double triggered SxS shotgun, and don't even notice that I move my finger for the second shot. It's become automatic.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #43192 - 06/12/05 07:59 AM

In reply to:

I was bird hunting with a double shot gun and getting two shots off at a quail was tuff when using just one finger. And if I used two I doubled every time.

I think that the best way to find out what a 470 feels like when it doubles is to put one finger on each trigger and then pull one.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: mickey]
      #43196 - 06/12/05 08:32 AM

I saw a dude do that once!

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: foxfire]
      #43220 - 06/12/05 01:16 PM

In reply to:

Front trigger then the rear trigger and only one finger.

The above applies to double rifles only! You pull the trigger that fires the choke you want for the shot you are takeing! I set my double trigger shotguns up if I have screw in chokes with the right barrel the tightest choke if I'm pass shooting, or shooting in-comeing birds, This way if a pair is coming in, I fire the tight barrel (RT barrel) at about 35 yds, and fire the more open barrel as the other bird slides in another 10 yds or so, before he can turn.

If I'm walking up birds that flush from the weeds, then I fire the open choke first, then the tighter barrel as the bird is getting farther out! Never us a double trigger shotgun, or rifle with a finger on both triggers!

the right barrel on most double shotguns is the tighter of the two, I like it that way, because it is the same as the order that is supposed to be used with a double rifle.

As others have told you, practice, practice, practice, and it will come!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

510Wells
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: Gold Bar, Wa.
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #43226 - 06/12/05 02:21 PM

WRONG! you just keep doing it that way, I ain't gonna!

On a heavy recoiling DR you should fire the left barrel (or rear trigger) FIRST. If you don't there is very likely a double discharge in your future. If you pull the front trigger first with heavy recoil, the finger can be pulled/bounced off and hit the rear (hot) trigger, and you get BANG BANG.

OUCH OUCH OUCH

--------------------
The only constant is change.

Member DRSS

Edited by 510Wells (08/12/05 03:19 PM)

wombat
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: 510Wells]
      #43236 - 06/12/05 06:27 PM

I went hunting,rather than paper punching,with my 500 nitro
for the first time recently-hot sweaty hands,gun covered
in sweat after a long stalk-guess what happened twice in the next 60 seconds-I am now a strong believer in using the rear trigger first on a heavy double.Once adopting this technique I had no further trouble-I am now a convert of "rear trigger first"

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: wombat]
      #43289 - 07/12/05 04:58 AM

It hasn't been a problem for me, yet. I shoot sxs shotguns alot and I can choose triggers, but generally shoot front first. Don't want to change the norm. It one thing to get lost in the triggers on a quail, or duck or goose, another on an elephant or cape buffalo.

FWIW, I believe my rifle was originally set up for rear first, since the front trigger pull was heavier than the rear. I had the front lightened to a bit less than the rear.

JPK

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: JPK]
      #43294 - 07/12/05 06:07 AM

See, this is great! I knew there was more to them than just pulling the triggers. I have a double bore gun with heavy recoil, and I never thought of shooting the rear/left first. Makes sense to me now. As for the shot gun, the recoil is very mild, so the other other statements make sense as well. I certainly agree with practice, but I don't think the wallet can handle much of that right now.

Great advice....are you listening Bonanza! <<--the brother who didn't tell me this.

Colorado

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #43301 - 07/12/05 08:13 AM

There is much debate on rear first or front first. If you listen to most of the men who have hunted safari, they will say you can't be thinking about which trigger to pull first, and as we tend to land on the front trigger naturally, it reasons that the order should be front then rear. I practice a lot with snaps caps and have never bumped the rear trigger when shooting. Both of my doubles have very heavy rear triggers. On my 470 however, I always bash my finger when I shoot the second barrel.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: 510Wells]
      #43305 - 07/12/05 09:30 AM

In reply to:

On a heavy recoiling DR you should fire the left barrel (or rear trigger) FIRST.

510wells, you may fire your double anyway you please, as can anyone who owns one! However,the proper sequince is RT, LFT, RT, LFT, on a double rifle regardless of how much it recoils. The reason for this is, the rifles are regulated that way at the maker's. If you will remember from fireing your double, the barrel being fired will instantly heat up as the bullet passes beneath your fingers through the barrel,It can be felt instantly. This sudden heat effects the steel, and because it is tied to the other barrel, it moves the cool barrel as it warps from steel expansion. This dirrectly effects the next shot from the other barrel. Since the barrels were regulated to account for this instant warpage, that is the way it should be fired. Sometimes you can get by with doing it backwards, but it isn't correct.

The fix for avoiding doubeling, is to learn how to shoot your rifle properly. I shoot double rifles with lots of recoil, and I don't double my rifles, and if done properly, you shouldn't either. The shotgun is a different story, unless the barrels are both the same choke, then it doesn't matter, as regulation on a shotgun is an accident at best, and is a very loosely "overlapping", of patterns. But if the chokes are different, then you fire the one first that has the choke you want.

This isn't the case with a double rifle, they must regulate perfectly, and the sequince dirrectly effects that, in most cases, especially on shots over 100 yds! I will admit, at ten yds, on a chargeing Buffalo, it most likely doesn't matter, because this is a "POINT, AND SHOOT" sittuation, and aiming is, in most cases, not a factor, anyway. If you only intend useing your double only for stopping, then use the rear trigger first. If however, you use your rifle to hunt with, which is what it was made for, then doing it properly is a habit that one is well advised to learn!

I'll let the origenal poster of the question decide what he wants to do with "HIS" double rifle. After 48 years of building,hunting, and shooting with double rifles of every size from .22 hornet, to 577NE, I'll shoot mine RT,LFT, RT, LFT. Others may do as it suits them!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #43318 - 07/12/05 10:47 AM

The definitive answer Mac, as usual. Couldn't have said it better.

Actually, I personally have no idea how I trigger a double. When stalking in close on buffalo, or 'jumping' boars, I know I've shot only because cartridges are ejected when I open the gun, and the quarry is down! ...and that's how it should be.

The best way to practice double-triggers is to wander the rabbit-warrens with a 2-trigger SxS shotgun, keep shooting it till you are no longer aware of triggering.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #43324 - 07/12/05 11:35 AM

Mac is correct, for the reason given. Aside from intentionally reversing the order to check the effect on regulation (it usually has some, with a few rifles it's a lot), I always shoot R-L and have never had a double discharge.

When I switched to DRs long ago, they were my first double trigger guns. All my double shotguns at the time were single trigger. I kept trying to remind myself to switch triggers when hunting with the rifles. I always forgot, but never failed to switch anyway. I switch back and forth between ST shotguns and DT rifles and have never had a problem.
-------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: Marrakai]
      #43328 - 07/12/05 11:43 AM

I've used side by side shotguns only with twin triggers all my life - since I was eight - so that is 32 years and only twice have had a double discharge and that was a couple years ago shooting sporting clays.

I generally shoot my shotguns, front trigger first but often load different shells and also with different chokes, choose which barrel to let off first depending on the target.

With my .450 double as most would know I have had problems with double discharges but only when hunting water buffalo, never on targets. The last time I did it I definitely felt my finger slap the second trigger so guess it was just me.

Using the rear trigger solved that problem until I work out the problem one way or another.

The double discharges in the field never bothered me much, but if from a "bench" that would definitely be different!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

srose
.300 member

Reged: 30/09/05
Loc: North Carolina
      #43381 - 08/12/05 12:47 AM

Sounds like you guys need to learn to hold a double. Always shoot the front trigger first if you want to shoot a double fast and accurate. If you have problems with doubleing then start out with a snap cap in left barrel. An ejector gun will show you if you doubled or not. Non ejector you can put a piece of masking tape on snap cap to show if you doubled. Its very natural to flow from the front trigger to the back when you have shot enough to make it habit. I suggest you get a double shotgun to practice with a lot. No better training than this. Knock on wood I have never doubled a gun and have shot lots of big stuff. My 500 NE weighs 9 lbs 12 oz with no doubles. When I let someone shoot my doubles they only get one live round at a time. I have even seen someone double with a light recoiling gun like a 9.3. Its how you hold it!

Sam

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: srose]
      #43393 - 08/12/05 03:04 AM

Yes yes of course. For me it doesn't happen in practice sessions, just when I have 2000 pounds of buffalo 40 metres in front of me. Shooting the rear trigger first works very well 100% of the time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

srose
.300 member

Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: NitroX]
      #43411 - 08/12/05 06:08 AM

If you hit that buffalo at 40 meters with both barrels I bet it slowed him down.

Sam

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #43416 - 08/12/05 06:44 AM

srose

What I have found is that if a double rifle "doubles"
or the firer "doubles" it, the first "aimed" shot goes
where aimed but the second barrel that goes off does
not hit the target.

Even though it is only a split second there is obviously
enough time for the first bullet to leave the barrel and the
gun to be rising before the second barrel fires.

And now that the one gun that I did this with has been
fixed I can only do it by pulling both triggers and I', not doing that !!!

I think the only way to test Doubling a DR
would be on a large wall where you can see the impact
but I''ll levae that to someone else to test !!!

500 Nitro

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: 500Nitro]
      #43420 - 08/12/05 07:12 AM

I have tested (many years go) trying to get a double shot pattern by pressing both triggers together on an over/under 12 bore. The patterns were always separated by 1 to 3 feet at 30 yards. That was when trying to pull both at the same time, not just having one go accidently. It is rough on the rear trigger finger. I would expect a double rifle to separate the rounds even further. I held naturally, not too tightly.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

srose
.300 member

Re: Shooting doubles with two triggers [Re: 500Nitro]
      #43475 - 09/12/05 12:50 AM

500 Nitro,

You're right the second shot would go high. I was just kidding about hitting him with both barrels. I have seen several people double and their first shot usually hit where they were aiming. The second round was off in the wild blue yonder. I'm like you I want someone else to do the testing and I don't want my guns to be fired that way. I do like the surprize on their faces when it happens though. Most say the recoil really isn't much different as they are already in motion when it happens. If a person is prone to do this they probably should shoot the back trigger first. Mark Sullivan did this on one of his videos with his 600 NE. You can notice him trying to pull the second trigger but nothing happens. Not sure with video but its one of those very close buffalo charges.

Sam

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #43514 - 09/12/05 09:24 AM

Searcy tells a story of someone in Africa, who never fired a DR before that point, shot a .500 (or .470) by putting two fingers on both triggers and pulling them because that's what he thought he was suppose to do.

Numbnut.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6083

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com