Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing
      #383725 - 29/03/24 10:48 AM

Shifted this from my Custom Howdah thread. I don't want that thread going of course with this Sabatti muzzle grinding discussion.

Quote:

I would think thats possible, either with shims or by grinding at the muzzle....

As I recall Sabatti regulates their DRs by "grinding" the rifiling at the muzzle. I had a 9.3x74R Sabatti that shot fine. I never noticed anything unusual

You mean cheap arse Sabatti TRIED to somehow affect the flight of the bullets by a dodgy grinding of the muzzles. One of the most ridiculous BS ideas of heard about. And never heard of any of the muzzle ground Sabattis shooting worth a damn.

Once the word spread, Sabatti seems to have resorted to real regulation again. Later DRs seem to shoot better.

I wouldn't touch a Sabatti with a ground muzzle with a barge pole.

Threads discuss these crap muzzle ground Sabattis on these forums. No need to discuss it here. Edit: O h well, shifted this whole post and replies instead.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (30/03/24 05:00 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: NitroX]
      #383760 - 30/03/24 04:30 AM

Actually, Colt did just that, filing the muzzles for regulation back in the 1800's
with their double rifles and it did work to some extent.
Maybe it only works with muzzleloaders?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by NitroX (30/03/24 05:03 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: DarylS]
      #383763 - 30/03/24 05:04 AM

Seeing there are going to be posts on this, I've shifted it OFF my custom Howdah thread completely.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #383773 - 30/03/24 10:26 AM

The reason Sabatti resorted to drastic measures was because at that time they had a large contract to deliver double rifles to Cabellas and they were threatened with massive panalties if they did not meet the time dead line. I'm not agreeing with their methods, just pointing out the reason. They never did it before or after that one time. Several guys have Sabatti doubles in the club and all are very happy with them and they shoot well. These ones have been regulated normally.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #383777 - 30/03/24 12:53 PM

Quote:

Several guys have Sabatti doubles in the club and all are very happy with them and they shoot well. These ones have been regulated normally.

Yes.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383792 - 31/03/24 07:55 AM

I used the Dremel reference somewhat tongue in cheek. A backyard "gunsmith" I once visited used a Dremel for his work. He claimed no one admits to using them, but "everyone does"!

Myself having zero skills I might too. I've got a Dremel, but it's still in the box.

Regarding Sabattis as Matt and others have said, they do seem to work. And are relatively cheap. I would consider buying one if it was the right chambering and something I felt I needed. BUT NOT A MUZZLE BUTCHERED SABATTI.

Regarding gunmakers reputations they are easy to damage. Rigby for example desiring maintaining a good reputation stopped taking orders for their at the time new Riding Bite action double rifles, when they reached thirty orders. I believe they considered that three years of work. They didn't want customers having to wait years and become impatient. As Colin/Ahmed might tell you three years is a short time to wait from the likes of Purdey, Boss, H&H and other quality British gunmakers. Verney-Carron, Heym etc might take a year or two (?) to fulfill an order.

Regulation of a new set of barrels is a lengthy time consuming task. There aren't any short except for self adjustable separated barrels. Those self regulation double rifles are cheaper.

It's not really an excuse to take a large order, one that isn't possible to fulfill. And then take shoddy shortcuts such as grinding the muzzles to attempt some sort of matching the point of impact from each barrel. Which from the many dissatisfied buyers reports simply did not work. How aweful to outlay several thousand dollars for one of these and end up with a worthless expensive wall decoration. Or pass it on to another sucker.

If the grinding of the muzzles worked I'm still to see it reported, and not by some one trying to sell that rifle.

Yes hopefully Sabatti now produces double rifles without any other shortcuts. Reputation takes a long time to build, evaporates very quickly.

Those guys with a working properly regulated Sabatti, good luck to them. If it works, it works. I'd want to see a test target for one I'd buy and preferably test shoot it myself. Same as many a double rifle. The higher the price, more reason to test shoot it. Or on the basis of reputation. A high quality brand expensive rifle could have the barrels properly reregulated if changing loads doesn't work well enough. But not worth it for a "cheapie". Many old vintage rifles can suffer from this.

Just my thoughts.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
      #383794 - 31/03/24 10:41 AM

Waiting time for a new Heym is now in the order of 4 years due to a large order from a South African retailer.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: jvw]
      #383795 - 31/03/24 11:27 AM

I bought a Sabitti 9.3x74R in 2012 The price was $3000 back then, the larger calibers were $5K. It was my first DR. I was pretty happy with it. It was a serious Hog slayer as I was getting ready to go to Afrika. Id still have it if I hadnt traded it for a 577.

Yes It might have been regulated by the Dremel method; but it was cheap enough to make DRs available to "working guys". Now I have $$$ DRs; but I hesitate to take them to the field in adverse conditions. Id buy another if Cabella's still carried them.

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #383796 - 31/03/24 01:02 PM

Quote:

Yes It might have been regulated by the Dremel method; but ....

But was it? Were the muzzles ground? Or a muzzle ground? Did you take any pictures of the muzzles? And how did it actually shoot? Two rounds fired from each barrel, left and right and at what distance? What were the resultant groups and how did they I,pact to each other?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: jvw]
      #383797 - 31/03/24 01:03 PM

Quote:

Waiting time for a new Heym is now in the order of 4 years due to a large order from a South African retailer.

I'm interested in what constitutes a large order and who in South Africa is capable of a large order? Just out of interest.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383803 - 01/04/24 01:08 AM

No I never photographed the muzzles. I had no reason to ever investigate how it was regulated or really how the muzzles looked. What I can tell you is the gun "looked" and shot fine. The longest hunting shot I ever took was maybe 35 yards. That was on a Boar that had taken a particular dislike to me because I kept advancing on him, until he decided to charge.

I hit him in the left side of his chest and found the bullet in the right ham. Im not sure if that was a tribute to the rifle, the cartridge, or me; but the "me part" was probably the least important.

I get the desire for traditional regulation methods and a particular dislike for "Dremel Engineering"; but I also "get" the cost saving nature and the resultant ability to put DRs the price range of working budgets. Think of it like this, the NEW Colt Pythons, have only increased the value of the OLD Pythons. Dremeled Sabattis made DRs available to working class hunters, then those guys wanted better DRs. Thats what led me to Merkles and K-guns and now Im inpursuit of a H&H. I may never get a H&H but I did fondle one with lust, the last time I was in London

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #383804 - 01/04/24 01:36 AM

Quote:

I……... if I hadnt traded it for a 577.

Pictures or it didn't happen…..
- mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

3DogMike
.400 member

#383805 - 01/04/24 01:37 AM

Quote:

No I never photographed the muzzles. I had no reason to ever investigate how it was regulated or really how the muzzles looked. What I can tell you is the gun "looked" and shot fine. The longest hunting shot I ever took was maybe 35 yards. That was on a Boar that had taken a particular dislike to me because I kept advancing on him, until he decided to charge.

I hit him in the left side of his chest and found the bullet in the right ham. Im not sure if that was a tribute to the rifle, the cartridge, or me; but the "me part" was probably the least important.

I get the desire for traditional regulation methods and a particular dislike for "Dremel Engineering"; but I also "get" the cost saving nature and the resultant ability to put DRs the price range of working budgets. Think of it like this, the NEW Colt Pythons, have only increased the value of the OLD Pythons. Dremeled Sabattis made DRs available to working class hunters, then those guys wanted better DRs. Thats what led me to Merkles and K-guns and now Im inpursuit of a H&H. I may never get a H&H but I did fondle one with lust, the last time I was in London

Pictures or it didn't happen…….
- Mike

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: 3DogMike]
      #383808 - 01/04/24 01:54 AM

Sorry that one is gone too. It was a Ruger No.1 converted to .577 by JD Jones (the guy that made Hand Cannons on Contender frames). I had to have it then just couldnt get past the spring recoil pad and the Cutts style compensator carved into the barrel.

It was a cool gun and I told myself Id like it buuuut it went to pay for a divorce.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383825 - 01/04/24 07:32 PM

Quote:

I get the desire for traditional regulation methods and a particular dislike for "Dremel Engineering"; but I also "get" the cost saving nature and the resultant ability to put DRs the price range of working budgets. Think of it like this, .. the NEW Colt Pythons, have only increased the value of the OLD Pythons. Dremeled Sabattis made DRs available to working class hunters, then those guys wanted better DRs. Thats what led me to Merkles and K-guns and now Im inpursuit of a H&H. I may never get a H&H but I did fondle one with lust, the last time I was in London

I think you don't get it at all. The grinding of the muzzles, per a great many reports, resulted in many dissatisfied owners, with largely worthless rifles. Not "cheaper double rifles in the price range for the common working man". They created very expensive worthless rifles. Whether $3000 or $300,000, a double rifle with two greatly varying points of impacts is an annoying rifle with two sets of barrels, At best one barrel would only work at quite close ranges, The other barrel might be sighted in for longer ranges. A single shot might be a better rifle.

It isnt the "traditional" method of regulation. It IS the way a double rifle is regulated. The gunmaker temporary fixes the barrels and test shoots it, adjusting the angles of the barrels to each other, at the rear and at the muzzles. Until the two points of impact are parallel at the chosen distance. Then the barrels are affixed, soldered etc. A rib fitted.

The Heym regulator gunmaker told me they use a seven second delay between each shot. The heat of the barrels and expansion and contraction, affects the point of impacts.

My Tikka under and over is a self regulating double rifle. The barrels are separated. There is a wedge towards the rear of the barrels which affects the vertical point of impact. There is another at the muzzles affecting horizontal POI.

For a side by side, the rear affects horizontal movement. The muzzle verticle POI movement.

I've never had to adjust the muzzle wedge, I did adjust the rear wedge. From memory The locking screw is loosened. The wedge is moved forwards or backwards using a screw, from memory. Very small movements. Increasing or decreasing the angle between the barrels. When I had it at 25 mm at 90 metres (or 30 mm at 100 m, I forget), two small two shot groups, an inch apart. I locked the wedge in place. The muzzles are roughly 30 mm apart.

Btw I've never test shot it at 200 m to see how shoots. I should do so. I might this year. I should know how well both barrels shoot at longer ranges. And if needed how well one barrel, the top barrel shoots at all reasonable ranges.

Back to grinding the muzzles. I asked so many questions for clarity. In order to understand factually if this example of presumably ground muzzles worked or not. None of the questions were answered.

I'm not having a go at you, but NitroExpress.com is a forum for factual DR information. A good place for a factual discussion on the butchering/grindingbof muzzles.

As for affordable double rifles, proper regulation does cost money. One reason some brands are cheap is that they aren't regulated properly, test shot etc. Maybe the barrels set together using some predetermined formaula?

One way to get a less expensive double rifle is with the separated barrels self regulating DRs. They don't look as good but work.

I'm more than happy for experienced gunmakers to chime in, pro or con. Correcting me or supporting me.

But based on dissatisfied customer reports, many of them, the Dremel muzzle grinding does NOT work, If it does I'm assuming more arse luck than skill.

I'd like to see some images just how they grinded/ground the muzzles? I think I saw some photos years ago.

How does grinding of the rifling affect accuracy? Usually people advise protecting the muzzle crowns as it is claimed it has great influence on accuracy. Even cleaning of a rifled barrel from the muzzle is inadvisable when it can be avoided.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383835 - 02/04/24 12:31 AM

This is YOUR website so I will defer to you and as I think you are open to discussion, I will say that I have never thought of a DR as a long range weapon, (past 50m). I think of a DR as a rifle for up close against potentially dangerous animals, hence the need for a fast second shot, not a precise shot at 200m. IDK maybe Im wrong, maybe hunters do use a DR for long range shots; but not me.

Further my Merkel may be regulated in the traditional method; but the elevation is off. The 100m leaf must be used to make 50m shots. The same is true for two PHs I have hunted with for Lion. (Yes using the recommended load). I would add that NOTHING is dangerous past 50m unless its armed with a AK.

I honestly cant say how MY Sabatti was regulated; but I can say that I actually owned it and fired it and successfully hunted with it. It worked for me and it got me into DRs when the Merkels and K-Guns were out of the question.

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

#383884 - 04/04/24 01:35 AM

Quote:

…..(snip)….. shots. The same is true for two PHs I have hunted with for Lion. (Yes using the recommended load). I would add that NOTHING is dangerous past 50m unless its armed with a AK.………(snip)……..

Lion? Cool.
Let's see PICTURES! Surely you got pictures whether you bagged a lion or not?
Pictures of your Merkel? always adds to the forums when pictures are posted.
Pictures, or it didn't happen.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383888 - 04/04/24 04:25 AM

Not sure if this will post of not
Merkel 470
Kimberly SA

https://photos.google.com/u/2/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipP3mVxTYlA4vt3w1Mh8wj4MSxyNYGrG8fnWCJse

https://www.africahunting.com/attachments/g0019096-jpg.161240/

Edited by EDELWEISS (04/04/24 04:51 AM)

3DogMike
.400 member

#383897 - 04/04/24 08:25 AM

EDELWEISS
Hat's off to you, not everybody an go after a Lion…..
- Mike

Here you go:

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383898 - 04/04/24 12:23 PM

Edelweiss, lovely lioness. I hope to hunt lion before I die.

No offence, but "traditional" regulation? I'm waiting to hear from reputable gunmakers what other than the normal regulation methods exist and more importantly actually work.

I would guess some cheaper dr gun makers, ten barrel makers use a predetermined formula, lasets etc to set the barrels and any angle between them. I'm sure this is done for shotguns. Are shotgun barrels pre-shot before ribs are fixed? For rifle barrels more precision is needed than estimation/guesswork.

Cheaper drs such as Pedersolis, Baikals, are sometimes said to have regulation POI issues.

The Baikal dr in .45/70 has some sort of adjustable wedges as well. I've never checked mine out. I bought mine as an opportunistic buy at the right price at the right time. I'm thinking of incorporating it in my "Howdah" target shoot. I'm not sure what ammo it was regulated for, if any,

I read some Pedersolis aren't regulated at all? After a certain time, true? No idea. My ML BP .58 DR doesn't regulate with monies. But might do better with round balls. I'll have to use Daryl's data.

Absolutely NE is open to discussion, polite and constructive. As for me, I'm no expert. I'm "happy" to be proven wrong. Have been more than once.n:)

I'll start a new thread on DRs and how they can be used, hopefully others joining in. They are NOT necessary just short range rifles. Which is btw one reason good regulation is needed. Otherwise we might just as well use side by side smooth bores.

On some forums the biggest threads are usually argument, name calling negative threads, I remember an ArabReloading thread at 67 pages, a lot of it abuse. I'm happy we don't have those here, I don't allow it.

Again no problems with disagreement and polite constructive debates and discussions. They can be educational and illustrative. With open minds anyone can learn.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383899 - 04/04/24 12:33 PM

On regulation double rifles. It isn't rocket science. Beyond my meager skills though except for self regulating separated barrels rifles.

One of our members 4seventy, Alan Moon, regulating his own double rifles he built on shotgun actions, I think I remember his .470 was built on an UO shotgun action. He did the works including setting the barrels, test shooting, regulating then fixing, soldering the ribs in place, I think he also mentioned in the past dismantling a rifle not shooting to regulation and doing the above to fix it.

We have quite a few good gunmakers on here doing similar. It would be good for them to chime in. Even with they disagree with me.

It would be good to see Alan drop in again, He was a great regular. Running his own Far North Queensland scrub bull and boar hunting safaris in those days. Imwill give him an email.

Alex Beer?

Our USA gunmakers, there's a fair number of them.

Our French gunmakers members?

And UK gunmaker members?

I don't want to bother most of these people with an email, as they are often busy. They can chime in if they see it and choose to.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #383924 - 04/04/24 11:10 PM

Pretty sure that grinding technique was only done on guns that were for the Cabellas contract as they had a deadline time wise they couldn't meet. I saw a youtube clip once where the MD from memory was explaining what happened and appologising. Pretty sure too that the guns in question were more US orientated so 30-06 and 45-70. Our US friends can chime in if they know of more.
So it's unlikely that you would come across one of the Dremel guns here in Australia.

Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

sharps4590
.333 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #383932 - 05/04/24 04:16 AM

I can say beyond a shadow of doubt the Pedersoli, muzzleloading double rifle I had was not regulated in any way, shape or fashion. I got pretty good at regulating old doubles with load adjustments and thought I could eventually get the Pedersoli to shoot 'good enough'. That did not happen so it went down the road. Using two sights, one for each barrel, on a double is anathema to me..

Now, my Baestlein, (German), 56 cal., muzzleloading double rifle from the 1850's regulated with the second load I tried. It was supposed to be a summer long project but came to its milk rather quickly! 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 65 yards, composite groups.

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: The Sabatti Dremel School of Gunsmithing [Re: sharps4590]
      #383981 - 07/04/24 09:22 AM

Im glad to see we are discussing this as opposed to arguing. I think we can agree Traditional regulation is best. The quest then becomes what other options are acceptable. I for one would rather have a dremeled regulation that works instead of a Biakal "jack screw"; but I suppose thats a personal question. Its all a matter of "if it works".

I had a Biakal. It worked but it just didnt feel right to me as I was wanting a traditional (read that as expensive) DR. Somehow I didnt mind the Valmet version, lets call that me being a gun snob. Honestly I was thrilled about the gap between the Valmet barrels; but I did note that Valmet made a "spacer" that filled the gap. More to the point I could never really love the Biakals. I always looked at them as a AK to be used in the worst conditions.

I cant say about shotgun regulation. I have had SxS's that shoot slugs almost to point of aim and a single shot that couldnt hit a target at 25 yards. I have a 20ga SxS that I jokingly refer to as a Paradox because its a spot on slug shooter out to 50m, even though its a smooth bore. I invested in two laser bore sighters to to adjust the express sights that I had a gunsmith add. Its a Hog Slayer for sure. No dougbt its a lucky fluke; but Im happy with the results.

Best

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383982 - 07/04/24 02:16 PM

Quote:

Im glad to see we are discussing this as opposed to arguing.

Yes. And NE requires it.

Quote:

I think we can agree (edit, remove: "Traditional") regulation is best.

I've corrected this statement. "A double rifle regulated is best".

Quote:

The quest then becomes what other options are acceptable.

I've asked experienced gun makers to comment. IMO It's pretty obvious. Two options exist. Fixed rib barrels, soldered after test shooting and aligning a good parallel POI at a given distance. Secondly a cheaper option is non fixed barrels with adjustable "wedges". Options such as a rubber "rib" can improve the appearance at a distance.

Quote:

I for one would rather have a dremeled regulation that works instead of a Biakal "jack screw"; but I suppose thats a personal question. Its all a matter of "if it works".

A muzzle butchered dr is a POS. You claimed you "never test shot yours to see if it even regulated".

It is a personal question, between functioning double rifles that fire reasonably regulated point of impacts. And cheap arse twin barrelled rifled shooting anywhere. Useless. And either are sold off to the next poor sod or someone goes to the expense of separating the barrels, test shooting until regulation POIs are achieved and then resoldering the rib.

Quote:

I had a Baikal. It worked but it just didnt feel right to me as I was wanting a traditional (read that as expensive) (EDIT: read as actually regulated) DR. Somehow I didnt mind the Valmet version, lets call that me being a gun snob. Honestly I was thrilled about the gap between the Valmet barrels; but I did note that Valmet made a "spacer" that filled the gap. More to the point I could never really love the Biakals. I always looked at them as a AK to be used in the worst conditions.

Baikals are quite aweful. But I still have one. Marrakai has one. Mine cost $800 second hand. Very hard to find any DR at any condition at that price. I imagined mine as some sort of "truck gun" when buying it. Not really possible in this over regulated times. And I don't have feral pigs or similar running around my farm. A truck gun here is a shotgun or .22.

The Valmets can do the job. There can be issues I'll detail in the "cheap or affordable dr" thread. Including the rubber "rubs". I've got a Tikka/Valmet as well.

Quote:

I cant say about shotgun regulation. I have had SxS's that shoot slugs almost to point of aim and a single shot that couldnt hit a target at 25 yards. I have a 20ga SxS that I jokingly refer to as a Paradox because its a spot on slug shooter out to 50m, even though its a smooth bore. I invested in two laser bore sighters to to adjust the express sights that I had a gunsmith add. Its a Hog Slayer for sure. No dougbt its a lucky fluke; but Im happy with the results.

So you did test shoot your shotguns for how slugs regulated for common POI.

It's good when things work.

We aren't going to agree. But this is a serious DR forum. In the absence of any verified evidence of the muzzle ground butchering working, we'll assume it doesn't. Or a reputable gunmakers/gunsmith responding to the contrary.

Traditional regulation of DR barrels we'll assume means a fixed rib after test shooting and adjusting the barrels for a common POI.

Non traditional regulation is the same method with self adjustable separated barrels.

Time to close off this thread, its going in repetitive circles.

Thanks for the discussion.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 128 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 785

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com