Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A modern custom Howdah pistol

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: NitroX]
      #383464 - 17/03/24 05:47 PM

The "vintage" cartridge Howdah with hammers, bottom left, imagine how beautiful it would be with the same stock as the flintlock above.

What brainless ffffwittery led Pedersoli to choose that aweful stocking?

Slimmed forend and rounded pistol grip, so much nicer. So obvious.

I don't see how the difference in price is justified in the workmanship. However I hope they keep making, if they do, this hammer "vintage" model.

Imagine a brace of them, restocked of course. A tan leather cartridge belt with loops filled with brass .410 cartridges loaded with ball or conicals, or shot. Even better, criss crossed shoulder cartridge loop belts. Bandito time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383465 - 17/03/24 05:52 PM

Quote:

I think one of those percussion model muzzle loaders in .58 will be on the purchase list as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383466 - 17/03/24 06:09 PM

Quote:

Look at the locks on this real vintage Howdah pistol. How the action curves downwards allowing the proper pistol grip with decent trigger pull length.

Compare it to the Pedersolis where the triggers and guard are more on a horizontal plane with another horizontal plane behind the guard till the grip.

This real vintage Howdah pistol, already had the trigger guard in the curve of the grip.

It would be good to handle both at the same time and see how they feel differently.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (17/03/24 06:15 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: tinker]
      #383467 - 17/03/24 06:21 PM

Quote:

Although anything over the 50/500 caliber is regulated as "destructive device" for handguns here in the USA, if money wasn't a problem I'd go forward with a 20bore or 16bore using 70 or more grains Black or a nitro energy equivalent.
Excessive velocity will only give the hunter greater range. That's not needed for this kind of gun.

There are some handsome hammerless designs - but I'd want small curved back action or island locks with hammers.

A 16-bore hammer side by side shotgun could provide a cheap donor source for a smoothbore Howdah pistol.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #383468 - 17/03/24 09:48 PM

This has been a convoluted discussion, that's for sure!
...and very interesting indeed.

But at last:
Quote:

A 16-bore hammer side by side shotgun could provide a cheap donor source for a smoothbore Howdah pistol

Finally we have arrived at my own personal concept of a modern howdah pistol build, so its time to add my two cents worth. Except mine would definitely need rifling!

Several years ago I went down this rabbit-hole with a view to making a version of the SxS 16-bore hammergun that could be used in our Big Game Rifle competition for the Howdah Pistol event.
A couple of important pre-requisites were NO TOP-LEVER, and percussion-style fences. The problem with using a vintage 12-bore hammer-gun as a donor is that back-action locks cannot be contoured down into the pistol grip, as mentioned above: they are all too straight.
Unfortunately as the SxS shotgun evolved, the top-lever was universally adopted BEFORE the back-action lock was replaced by the bar-action lock, so finding a donor hammer-gun that had bar-action locks with either a Jones underlever or a side-lever was like looking for rocking-horse sh!t!

Anyway, long story short, I finally found one and made the acquisition. According to my gunsmith, I can do everything required except shortening the barrels. That requires changing the firearm class from A (shotgun) to H (handgun) in the NT, and this can only be done legally by a licenced armourer or gunsmith. Difficulties are predicted if I want it to remain an antique (pre-1900 manufactured action) as our Firearms Act technically allows. ...and I do!

The next problem is finding a donor barrel that I could get two short rifled 16-bore sleeves out of. New or vintage, don't really care, but the rifling would need to be "pukka", meaning wide grooves and relatively tall, narrow lands for round-ball, with a twist-rate in the order of 30 to 60 inches. In Australia! More rocking-horse sh!t needing to be sought!

Anyway, the donor hardware is in my gunsafe, so Step 1 is done. I have had the brass 16-bore cases forever, but not yet cut to 2 inches for the 16-bore short cartridge (to further circumvent Police accusations of a cut-down shotgun).
Anyway, this is already further than I manage to get on most of my conceptual projects!

Rest assured I'll post progress here if this project ever bubbles to the surface!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
      #383470 - 18/03/24 02:01 AM

I think "competition" is being used to accept lessor standards Perhaps we should take "competition" out of the discussion. Instead lets "go" with what we have.

Our options are original Howdahs. They are PRICEY and have limited availability
The Pedersoli Cap Lock a bit less pricey and LARGE caliber; but available
The Pedersoli 45/410 runs from $1500 to $2000+. The cartridge options are small by Original standards; but is a HOT 45Colt really anemic?

Can two shots with a HOT 45 Colt stop a Tiger at bad breath range? I suspect we'll never know; but I wouldnt hesitate to use it on a charging pissed of Wild Boar at close range, (ask me how I know) OR for that matter a Black Bear climbing up to my tree stand. Im not into ballistics like some of you guys; but Im guessing a 3" Brass case 410 can be loaded pretty HOT.

So it seems the Pedesolis are the only real options. IF thats the case, then how can we make the best of what we have....modify the stock? rebore to 480 Ruger, possibly a 500 Special. (On that note a hot loaded 500S&W is a 10" Encore is quite a "handful". Adding the weight of second barrel might help IDK, using a lighter load would certaonly help and be more inkeeping with period loads.)

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Edited by EDELWEISS (18/03/24 02:06 AM)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #383471 - 18/03/24 02:31 AM

Smooth or Rifled? Im not convinced one is really better OR more correct than the other, especially if we leave any notion of competition in the dust

Yes Id prefer a side or underlever; but I wont rule out a top lever, if an appropriate donner ever becomes available. I suspect if in some alternative world we still had the "need" for Howdah guns, that a top lever or long/straight lock OR EVEN a Hammerless action (Heaven forbid) would be accepted if not embraced.

Here in the US larger than 50 caliber has some issues and shotguns being shortened to less than 18" barrels and OAL less than 26" can be done but it involves some paperwork, a tax of $200 and a 6 month delay. After all that, there are restrictions on moving it from state to state even for a short hunting trip. Soooo its do-able but os it worth the effort IDK

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #383475 - 18/03/24 04:15 AM

A ctg. version of a Howdah pistol really needs a back-action lock, like the one NitroX has posted above.
Pedersoli did a credible job on their flint and cap lock versions, but their ctg. guns are sickening.(almost make me barf)
The flintlock actually looks fairly good and in .58 or 20 bore, would be fun.
As to loading "up" the .410 brass shell, I suspect the limit might be in the 20,000, maybe 30,000 PSI range at the most.
The Casull range of pressures, ie: 57,000PSI are WAY too high. That's the same breech pressure as a 9.3x62.
In .45 Colt, if loaded the same as for a Ruger, Freedom Arms, or TC Contender, in the 29,000psi range, that would put a 300gr. bullet out at about 1,300fps.
So, yes, that would handle a tiger - if it was hit correctly.
Same with grizzly.
The question is, what is the pressure limit for that gun?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: DarylS]
      #383476 - 18/03/24 04:41 AM

Im not sure Im making my point. YES I totally agree the Pedersoli cartridge guns do NOT look like an Original; but again they are what we have-the only thing we have in a modern adaptation. My guess is that Pedersoli, chose the Ithaca Auto Burglar look because they figured the A/B would have a better sales potential, because its a more recognizable gun. I doubt anyone who hasnt dreamed of hunting India or Afrika, even knows what a Howdah pistol is or wants one.

That leaves us with the Pedersoli. Its NOT perfect. Its far from an Original Howdah; but it meets some of the design features of a Howdah (two barrels, large-ish cartridge), hammers (if you choose the Vintage model). Soooo again I suggest that short of actually needing to stop a Tiger climbing up the side of your elephant, that the Pedersoli does work for a pissed off Wild Boar or Bear and maybe angry four or two legged animals.

Its a modern COMPROMISE for a gun that has zero Original use today; but fills some modern rolls. Liken it to a 2024 Corvette compared to a 72 Stingray or a 63 Split Rear Window Corvette. They arent the same and I lust for a Split Rear Window; but until one is parked in my driveway Ill drive a Mustang in the summer and a Jeep in the winter.

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (18/03/24 04:42 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#383480 - 18/03/24 10:05 AM

Whatever floats your boat. As far as the pissed off boar or bear, if I could legally carry a handgun, it would be my 4" M29, thanks, loaded with 275gr. SWC and 22.5gr. H110 to the tune of 1,210fps.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383484 - 18/03/24 11:49 AM

Quote:

I think "competition" is being used to accept lessor standards Perhaps we should take "competition" out of the discussion.

Nope. Because that is what Marrakai and I are talking about

No one is shooting a tiger off an elephant's back anymore.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: Marrakai]
      #383487 - 18/03/24 06:44 PM

Quote:

But at last:
Quote:

A 16-bore hammer side by side shotgun could provide a cheap donor source for a smoothbore Howdah pistol

Finally we have arrived at my own personal concept of a modern howdah pistol build, so its time to add my two cents worth. Except mine would definitely need rifling!

Several years ago I went down this rabbit-hole with a view to making a version of the SxS 16-bore hammergun that could be used in our Big Game Rifle competition for the Howdah Pistol event.
A couple of important pre-requisites were NO TOP-LEVER, and percussion-style fences. The problem with using a vintage 12-bore hammer-gun as a donor is that back-action locks cannot be contoured down into the pistol grip, as mentioned above: they are all too straight.
Unfortunately as the SxS shotgun evolved, the top-lever was universally adopted BEFORE the back-action lock was replaced by the bar-action lock, so finding a donor hammer-gun that had bar-action locks with either a Jones underlever or a side-lever was like looking for rocking-horse sh!t!

Anyway, long story short, I finally found one and made the acquisition. According to my gunsmith, I can do everything required except shortening the barrels. That requires changing the firearm class from A (shotgun) to H (handgun) in the NT, and this can only be done legally by a licenced armourer or gunsmith. Difficulties are predicted if I want it to remain an antique (pre-1900 manufactured action) as our Firearms Act technically allows. ...and I do!

The next problem is finding a donor barrel that I could get two short rifled 16-bore sleeves out of. New or vintage, don't really care, but the rifling would need to be "pukka", meaning wide grooves and relatively tall, narrow lands for round-ball, with a twist-rate in the order of 30 to 60 inches. In Australia! More rocking-horse sh!t needing to be sought!

Anyway, the donor hardware is in my gunsafe, so Step 1 is done.

I have had the brass 16-bore cases forever, but not yet cut to 2 inches for the 16-bore short cartridge (to further circumvent Police accusations of a cut-down shotgun).
Anyway, this is already further than I manage to get on most of my conceptual projects!

Rest assured I'll post progress here if this project ever bubbles to the surface!

Marrakais, so you have both the hens teeth 16-bore action and the two 16-bore rifled barrels to use. Wow.

Can you post photos of the 16-bore shotgun and action please? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383489 - 18/03/24 07:07 PM

I looked at a French 12-bore shotgun recently, and missed out on buying it. I asked for it to be kept aside but the gunshop ignored me. Kept the Cape one aside but not this one. No brand. Lovely engraved round action Hammerless. 65 mm chambers

But it had an unusual opening system. Extractors but a spring in the forend. A spur on the trigger guard when pushed, springs open the action.

I would have almost certainly kept it as a shotgun for use. No external hammers, but what a cool 12-bore Howdah it could have made.

I still have to post photos on the shotgun forum.

I'm almost more than a little annoyed at Fisher Firearms for not holding it for me for a whole four days .... Like the other shotgun I asked for both to be kept aside for me

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

#383490 - 18/03/24 08:13 PM

Sorry John, you misunderstand, I only have the 12-bore side-lever bar-action hammergun with percussion fences and damascus barrels,
ready to accept 10-inch 16-bore rifled inserts. If I already had the inserts, or the donor barrel from which to make them,
this project would definitely have moved from the back-burner to the front!

--------------------
Marrakai

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383492 - 19/03/24 12:09 AM

I "get" that there are better guns available today for whatever the Howdah can do. Hell there are better guns available for what a Double Rifle can do; but we still choose and covet a fine DR. The the Howdah has a certain mystique that calls to a few of us (just a few). Theres no good reason for it, we dont "need" it; but a few of us "want" it.

So its a case of we want what we cant have, or at least cant have exactly what we want. We can come close. We can search for and maybe find an original; but then what, or we can opt for a modern made muzzleloader which isnt a bad representation of an original, or chose the only cartridge version available, which admittedly has less visual connection to the original then we would want.

Im not sure there are any other options. My choice is to continue the search for an original, and enjoy the Pedersoli ML and 45/410 for what they are...

--------------------

Edited by EDELWEISS (19/03/24 12:11 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383495 - 19/03/24 03:24 AM

Quote:

I "get" that there are better guns available today for whatever the Howdah can do. Hell there are better guns available for what a Double Rifle can do;

Incorrect IMO.

Are you sure you're on the right forums?

Quote:

Im not sure there are any other options. My choice is to continue the search for an original, and enjoy the Pedersoli ML and 45/410 for what they are...

Yes. But there are also other optionz, all discussed probably several times.

Enjoy your existing Pedersolis. Start a new thread, show photos and maybe some videos of shooting them.

How well do they regulate? How accurate? At whatever range suitable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383511 - 19/03/24 10:18 AM

What other OPTIONS are there, because Ive read every post on every thread and every forum I could find

1. find an ORIGINAL
2. buy a Pedersoli cap or flint B/P gun
3. Have a CUSTOM gun made from scratch or from a DR shotgun
4. accept the Pedesoli 45/410 as they are
5. Modify the Pedosoli 45/410 stock and or caliber

What am I missing?

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383525 - 19/03/24 11:50 PM

No. 3 now mentioned. Make one from a DB shotgun.

1. Buy an original. Muzzle loader, cheaper Breech loader, more. A smooth bore can be cheap. I seriously looked at a smooth bore howdah pistol in Italy. $1000. But too much to get here.
2. But an original rifled Howdah pistol.
3. Modify a side by side shotgun into a smooth bore or rifled Howdah pistol.
4. Buy and modify a Pedersoli as required.

If Marrakai succeeds, we will see it, and be jealous.

As for what and why DRs are excellent and the best, in particular circumstances, as mentioned numerous times on these forums. DG, big bores, close up, quick follow up shots. Why every PH has one or wants one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (19/03/24 11:58 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383526 - 20/03/24 12:04 AM

Quote:

Sorry John, you misunderstand, I only have the 12-bore side-lever bar-action hammergun with percussion fences and damascus barrels,
ready to accept 10-inch 16-bore rifled inserts. If I already had the inserts, or the donor barrel from which to make them,
this project would definitely have moved from the back-burner to the front!

Thanks. A problem with a 12-bore as the base is the size of it. But if it works. And 16-bore in a 12, why not.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#383532 - 20/03/24 05:08 AM

16 bore rifled inserts sounds fine to me, too.

--------------------
Daryl

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: A modern custom Howdah pistol [Re: DarylS]
      #383539 - 20/03/24 12:23 PM

OK Im good with building. I talked to a Gunsmith today about restocking, He agreed in concept but wont commit till he sees the action. So now Im looking for donors.

I was toying with the idea of a 12ga, sleeved for 45-70? Its not my first choice but it is the most easily found parts. Im NOT fixated on 12ga or 45-70.

Ultimately I want either an under lever or a side lever.

--------------------

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#383540 - 20/03/24 12:31 PM

So, now that we are at this point, does it have to a back action? Or will a conventional (Im not sure what its call) hammer action work? I understand the points that youve made concerning trigger pull length and real pistol grip. Ive seen the stock work that this smith is capable of building, hes done amazing stuff.

What barrel length?

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

#383542 - 20/03/24 01:04 PM

Bar-action hammergun here. Easy to make a pistol-grip stock curving downwards behind the trigger-guard.

Back-action hammergun here. Virtually impossible to make a properly proportioned pistol grip behind those locks, and still reach the triggers with your finger!

So while a vintage original probably has to be back-actioned (with curved lock-plates) to look the part, a modern conversion of a hammer shotgun pretty-much cannot be back-actioned.

And I agree with other posters here that the saw-grip needed to prevent a top-lever from busting the web of your hand is ugly as a hat-full of Rsoles!

--------------------
Marrakai

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#383544 - 20/03/24 07:15 PM

Quote:

Bar-action hammergun here. Easy to make a pistol-grip stock curving downwards behind the trigger-guard.

Back-action hammergun here. Virtually impossible to make a properly proportioned pistol grip behind those locks, and still reach the triggers with your finger!

So while a vintage original probably has to be back-actioned (with curved lock-plates) to look the part, a modern conversion of a hammer shotgun pretty-much cannot be back-actioned.

Thanks for that. A dream of mine has always been to create a Nitro-Wiki with members creating posts, comments, illustrations and images, explaining terms and concepts, brands, techniques. Thought about it 18years ago, one can't proceed too quickly ...

The top lever on a Howdah pistol. Yes maybe that's acreadin for the "saw grip"? I've never shot a sawn off shotgun with a pistol grip. So don't know how much a top lever might be a problem?

I agree aside or bottom lever is so much more desirable.

BTW does anyone know anyone with a Pedersoli Howdah in Australia? Especially the breech loading versions. It would be great to handle one first, say at the International BG, BB Shoot in Darwin later in the year.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#383549 - 21/03/24 02:28 AM

Hadn't thought on this before, but properly bent back-action lock plates would have to be made, along with 'some' innards, I expect.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 125 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8323

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com