Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What is a Howdah RIFLE?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
What is a Howdah RIFLE?
      #378294 - 03/08/23 05:30 AM

I've been reading the various threads on Howdah pistols and see mentioned Howdah rifles. The concept of the Howdah pistol I'm quite familiar with but am not when the term Howdah is applied to a rifle.

I'd THINK that such a gun would be a double rifle of large bore with VERY short barrels say, 12 or 16 inches or something of that sort but it appears that is not the case.

So what makes a Howdah RIFLE as opposed to a simple large bore double rifle?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #378296 - 03/08/23 05:38 AM

A rifle that was cut down to produce a Howdah pistol perhaps?????

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: 93x64mm]
      #378298 - 03/08/23 05:48 AM

No, they had a couple pictures but they appeared to me to simply be rifled bore guns. Maybe barrels in the 24 or 26" range but not super short as I'd expect them to be.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #378302 - 03/08/23 05:56 AM

I only know the term Howdah pistol.

I don't know that someone used a specific weapon for shooting from a Howdah. Imho the usual weapons were used, rifles that were otherwise used for hunting big game and especially tigers in India.

By the way, up until the twenties of the last century, preference was given to the DR caliber 500 BPE. In Africa, BP was no longer used much earlier.

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #378311 - 03/08/23 09:15 AM

This is probably a Howdah rifle from India

by R B Rodda, Calcutta for the Duke of Edinburgh 1880ish

in .577/500 No.2

barrels are 19"

weight 8 1/2 lbs

A very handy rifle

The only reference in any shooting books (of the time)I have seen for either Howdah pistol or rifle was a 12 bore with round ball in one barrel and SG (0 Buck) in the other kept in the Howdah

A more detailed post is here somewhere

TH44

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: TH44]
      #378312 - 03/08/23 12:18 PM

This is a Howdah Rifle.

I bought this Double Rifle 10 years ago. Its a Westley Richards .375 x 2½" Nitro Express with 16" barrels. It tips the scales at a stout 8 pounds 10 ounces, and has an overall length of 32-7/8". That's 1-3/8" shorter than a Winchester Model 94 Trapper model with the same 16" barrel length.

It has a large Butt Plate and stock with a 14-1/2" LOP. This was an upgrade over a Howdah Pistol. When used from the Howdah atop an elephant, this would have been much more controllable than a pistol, and a lot less cumbersome than a full length rifle in the confined space of the Howdah.

It has many very interesting features: Horn Forearm Tip, Horn Grip Cap, and Horn Butt Plate with the Westley Richards Logo. Super condition wood. Sling Eyes. One standing and 4 folding leaf rear sight, 50/100/150/200/300. Lots of original Case Color in protected areas, and a Bore as sharp and bright as any I've seen. Overall finish of the metal is a superb original "purplish-brown" that shows its character from use years ago. Nice overall Engraving with a "Buck Deer" on the bottom of the action, a "Crouching Tiger" on the bottom of the trigger guard, and a "Saber-Tooth Deer" on the back of the Lever.

It was shipped to BomBay, India in 1927.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: TH44]
      #378313 - 03/08/23 12:19 PM

@TH44 That's a dandy!!!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: buckstix]
      #378314 - 03/08/23 12:46 PM

Quote:

This is a Howdah Rifle.

I bought this Double Rifle 10 years ago. Its a Westley Richards .375 x 2½" Nitro Express with 16" barrels. It tips the scales at a stout 8 pounds 10 ounces, and has an overall length of 32-7/8". That's 1-3/8" shorter than a Winchester Model 94 Trapper model with the same 16" barrel length.

It has a large Butt Plate and stock with a 14-1/2" LOP. This was an upgrade over a Howdah Pistol. When used from the Howdah atop an elephant, this would have been much more controllable than a pistol, and a lot less cumbersome than a full length rifle in the confined space of the Howdah.

It has many very interesting features: Horn Forearm Tip, Horn Grip Cap, and Horn Butt Plate with the Westley Richards Logo. Super condition wood. Sling Eyes. One standing and 4 folding leaf rear sight, 50/100/150/200/300. Lots of original Case Color in protected areas, and a Bore as sharp and bright as any I've seen. Overall finish of the metal is a superb original "purplish-brown" that shows its character from use years ago. Nice overall Engraving with a "Buck Deer" on the bottom of the action, a "Crouching Tiger" on the bottom of the trigger guard, and a "Saber-Tooth Deer" on the back of the Lever. It was shipped to BomBay, India.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Very impressive!!

That makes a lot of sense, too. I've one I call L'il Stubby, a CZ550 9.3x62 w/ 16 1/4" barrel. My hound chasing bear gun.

Yours is.......awesome!!

--------------------

Nemo
.224 member

Reged: 16/06/23
Loc: Wisconsin
      #378315 - 03/08/23 01:49 PM

Very Cool! Love the "saber-tooth deer". Quite pleistocene looking.

I have one of those 94 trappers mentioned in 44 magnum.
Taken deer with it. Very handy to lug around. The recoil is much greater than it's 30-30 kin.
Prefer however the 92 action for the revolver cartridges. Much slicker and more solid.

In my mind I have designed a modern version of your gun to be a little brother to my 60cm. 444 Rizzini DR.
It would be 16 or 17" (to make sure the game warden knows it's not less than 16") and chambered in 445 Supermag.
Longer barrels are not really needed anyway with the revolver cartridges.
Plenty powerful enough for anything around here.
I have done a lot of load development over the years for the 44 supermag.
I was an early adopter in the days when we cut down 30-40 and/or 303 brass and stuffed 44 bullets in.
Then Starline stepped in and made brass although no guns are currently available off the shelf.
What I have in mind is a double barrel version of this (but without the full-bull barrel):

Does it qualify as a Howdah rifle?

--------------------
Nemo -- Everything 44

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: Nemo]
      #378316 - 03/08/23 05:08 PM

Interesting topic !

In the meantime, I have researched further and also found a few things about so called Howdah rifles in various caliber.

The word Howdah rifle seems to have been used less, I did not find it in any book about hunting in India in the past, but some hunters had DR made with shorter barrels than usual, which seems logical when you need a handy weapon to shoot at close range from elephant's back. The majority of the DR of the time, especially the much loved DR caliber 500 Express, were very often supplied with 28"barrels.

It is not clear whether there were many such rifles, because the hunt from the Howdah, compared to other types of tiger hunting, was done less common.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: grandveneur]
      #378317 - 03/08/23 08:19 PM

Its been mentioned the shorter barrels for the " confined space" of an elephants Howdah saddle.

It's actually the opposite, one's well out in the open. Obviously there's different kinds of saddles and platforms. One I remember using was a highly polished wooden bench seat. One was in danger of sliding off. I forget the other two. I think one was a sort of basket one knelt in. I remember being in a howdah looking straight down in the eyes of a growling tiger under a bush. With the naked eye the tiger was well viewable. All the twigs, leaves, branches of the bush prevented anything like decent focussing of my video camera. Limited time permitted only.

Looking at Howdah hunting photos many are an open framed platform basket or box. The occupants kneeling or standing inside. The typical long arm was normal length barrel rifle or smoothbore.

The Howdah pistol was IMO from reading, I wasn't there , a last ditch close quarters defence weapon against a tiger which has lept onto the back, head, neck of a elephant. Very close. A 28" barrel might have been too long or unwieldy to bring to bear. The Howdah pistol, was it used only for defence, or also for hunting? Probably, but I can't imagine a Howdah style handgun is very accurate at even short handgun distances.

Some of the long arms, particularly older paIntings, show very long muzzle loaders. Typical of the time. This also illustrates another reason for the Howdah pistol. The time to reload a muzzle loading firearm. Having a short barrelled ML pistol at hand when the long arm was expended, a tiger jumps in the elephant would have been very useful. I immediately think of how pirates were said to carry say seven ML pistols on their person. Multiple shots then possible.

Short barrelled long arms? Firstly because a double rifle doesn't have an action length aft of the barrel chambers, a DR is already quite a short and handy long arm.

But for sure some hunters may have had shorter barrel "long arms" made for use on a Howdah platform or a hunting tower. We've seen two or three on NE in the past and again on this thread.

Shorter barrel long arms are of course also handy for hunting on foot in a thickly obstructed jungle environment. Where we see such shorter long arms used a lot today.

Interesting to see these shorter barrel doubles rifles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (03/08/23 10:36 PM)

jgrabow
.300 member

Reged: 22/12/08
Loc: Winter Wisconsin
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: NitroX]
      #378320 - 03/08/23 10:00 PM

Here's another example. Watch the video.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....e=1&fpart=1

--------------------
Jim

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: jgrabow]
      #378322 - 03/08/23 10:39 PM

Quote:

Here's another example. Watch the video.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....e=1&fpart=1

Copied here:

I bought this gun a year ago and just fired it for the first time this week.

Oh, but I saved the best for last. I told you I shot it earlier this week. I made a video of my first two rounds through it. I promise you will enjoy it. Watch it here:

Greener 10b Ball Gun - First Two Shots by Me.

Here's the target I shot in the video:

And here's a look at two loaded and four fired cases:

This gun is really bad-ass!

Curly

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (04/08/23 12:56 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378323 - 03/08/23 10:50 PM

In Maharajah Marrakai's youth riding elephants after Top End water buffalo, banteng, scrub bull, boar, Top End wild dogs, flat dogs, sambhur not to mention the odd tiger, his "Fat Lady" now Mick's would have made a dandy Howdah hunting long arm.

A .577 2 3/4" Light Nitro, 650 gr projectiles. Adequate for all the above species plus elephant itself. Or a tiger on one's (elephant's) back!

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=231050&an=&page=0&vc=1

Thought it was time I did a photo spread of the "Fat Lady" since my days as the 3rd and current owner are numbered.
Here are the details of this most interesting rifle:

W.W.Greener Double Barrel Express Rifle chambered for the .577 x 2 3/4 Light Nitro cartridge. This rifle was built on a 1928 Greener "Empire" (Grade E-17) 12-bore shotgun action by Melbourne gunsmith Rolph Bachnick, in the first year of the new millenium I believe. I have owned it since October 2003. Overall weight is 10 1/2 lbs and the balance point is 2 1/4 inches ahead of the hinge-pin, still well behind the forward hand. Barrels are 22 inches with British express sights including a faceted diamond front bead! Barrel engraving reads ".577 - 2 3/4 Case" and "65 Grain Cordite / 650 Grain Bullet". Rib is engine-turned with maker's name in a banner: "W.W.Greener Maker 40 Pall Mall London S.W. Works St Mary's Square Birmingham."

The action remains tight on the face and bores remain in excellent condition, appearing virtually as new. External rust-blueing of the barrels is very fine and still appearing virtually new. The non-automatic Greener side-safety is modified with a clever raised rib for positive non-slip operation. Stock finish shows a few minor dents and scratches commensurate with field carry, and some thinning of the oil finish at the front of the comb, however the stock still looks great and I never considered a refinish to be necessary.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

Rifle: Right Hand Side view:

Rifle: Left Hand Side with cartridge box:

Rifle: Left Hand Side viewed from above:

Barrel Rib with Express Sights:

Action: Right Hand Side:

Action: Top view:

Action: underside and Floor Plate:

Barrel and Rib Engraving:

Action Flats with Greener "Elephant" Trade Mark:

Barrel Flats with new Proof Marks:

Standing Breech showing the Breech Face:

Trigger Guard Tang showing E-17 Grade engraving:

Rear Express Sight viewed from above:

Single Standing Leaf Express Sight:

Faceted Diamond Front Sight Bead:

Front Sight showing Engine-Turned Base and Caterpillar Bead:

Buttstock: Right Hand Side view:

Last Bull taken with the Greener .577 double rifle:

Alas the "Fat Lady" never saw rifled service in India. Converted to a DR by Rolf Babnick in Melbourne.

But next to the perfect Howdah hunting tool.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378324 - 03/08/23 11:04 PM

But this one IMO is even more perfect. A combination .577 LNE and 12-bore shotgun.

W.W. Greener shotgun / rifle combo Cape Gun

WW Greener no. 70571 combo 12 bore shotgun by .577 rifle. Originally a 12 ga SxS shotgun, it has been
converted to a Cape gun and is in excellent rebuilt condition. Based on the Empire action with
a new mono block, the work was completed 2 years ago. With 24" barrels with 1 standing rear sight.
Restocked butt and forend with excellent wood.

Weight is 10 lbs, LOP is 14 ¾" over a Silver's pad. DAC is 1 1/8", DAH is 2".

Price US$4,900

These US prices really peeve me though

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6793&an=&page=0&vc=1

Ha ha, American prices back then. Now I wish.

Why a Cape gun? Because maybe you're shooting a pheasant, a wild cock, a peacock, a boar, deer or a tiger.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (03/08/23 11:52 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#378325 - 04/08/23 01:53 AM

Wow...

This thread keeps getting better and better!!

Something about the stubby barrels to me just makes the gun look "right" for self defence of all sorts, tiger, too! I do like carbines.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378346 - 04/08/23 10:06 PM

I've never shot a tiger, bear or lion at all. Let alone with a shotgun slug or ball.

But I think a 10-bore or 12-bore shotgun, in the short 16 to 20 inch "coach" gun pattern, preferably with hammers, loaded with ball, slug, brennecke etc perhaps with rifle sights(?), or sans a rear sight, flip (?), would make a good Howdah defensive long arm.

Why preferably with hammers? Any of these pistols, or long arms if continually having loaded chambers, it would be much safer with hammers decocked. A lot of modern doubles can benefit from a form of decocking hammers.

The knockdown effect of a 10-bore 700 gr ball at very close range should in my armchair opinion dealnwith a tiger on one's elephant's back. Or a 583 gr 12-bore.

If a 12-bore with slugs can deal with brown bears, it will handle a tiger or lion.

With decent flip up rear sight, and decent ball regulation, might make a decent closer range medium game or big game hunting firearm. Certainly the 10-bore double rifle long arm fulfilled this hunting role.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#378349 - 04/08/23 10:23 PM

Quote:

I've never shot a tiger, bear or lion at all. Let alone with a shotgun slug or ball.

But I think a 10-bore or 12-bore shotgun, in the short 16 to 20 inch "coach" gun pattern, preferably with hammers, loaded with ball, slug, brennecke etc perhaps with rifle sights(?), or sans a rear sight, flip (?), would make a good Howdah defensive long arm.

Why preferably with hammers? Any of these pistols, or long arms if continually having loaded chambers, it would be much safer with hammers decocked. A lot of modern doubles can benefit from a form of decocking hammers.

The knockdown effect of a 10-bore 700 gr ball at very close range should in my armchair opinion dealnwith a tiger on one's elephant's back. Or a 583 gr 12-bore.

If a 12-bore with slugs can deal with brown bears, it will handle a tiger or lion.

With decent flip up rear sight, and decent ball regulation, might make a decent closer range medium game or big game hunting firearm. Certainly the 10-bore double rifle long arm fulfilled this hunting role.

John I was thinking similarly.

Even down say to 12 inch barrels for maximum maneuverability, as one being stuck in that Box, I'd think a gun useful almost as a pistol say leaning over the side without the butt applied to the shoulder would be distinct advantage.

And let's face it...a 10-bore hammer double w/ foot long barrels, sights (25 yard fixed, flip ups for 75 and 125), regulated at 50 yards and slinging that 700 grain projectile would widen eyes at the local gun range and would be handy as heck for getting the attention of a 2-legged "tiger" crawling thru your kitchen window at 2:30 in the morning, too...

--------------------

grandveneur
.400 member

#378350 - 04/08/23 10:35 PM

I also have never shot a lion or leopard in Africa either.

Many PH's in Africa are nowadays of the opinion that guns loaded with buckshot or even slugs are more than marginal for hunting big cats and above all for backup in case of an attack.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: grandveneur]
      #378354 - 04/08/23 11:49 PM

Quote:

I also have never shot a lion or leopard in Africa either.

Many PH's in Africa are nowadays of the opinion that guns loaded with buckshot or even slugs are more than marginal for hunting big cats and above all for backup in case of an attack.

My armchair knowledge agrees with that for buckshot.

My opinion has long been a big bore double rifle is better for leopard follow up and absolutely for lion follow up. The PHs using shotguns usually do not have or can not afford a proper double rifle.

You misunderstood my comments though. Not using a shotgun on foot, hunting from a lion or tiger charge. But if it works for this, IF in a howdah, defending against a tiger at extremely short range it might be adequate. ???

My comment on brown bears. If carrying a shotgun loaded with some form of slug or solid, is considered adequate defence, per real life experience, against grizzly or brownbear attack, then 8 can't see it not adequate for a tiger at very close range. ??? This is one question which can be answered from many hunters, trekkers, forest workers, even householders personal encounters.

Some of these beasts are still shot with shotguns or similar firearms. Around the world a shotgun. Is often a firearm a peasant or poor farmer might be allowed access to, or could afford.

It's very theoretical, as no one will be hunting tiger from a howdah in our modern age. We have seen videos of tigers leaping onto tourist or forest workers elephants backs however. So if one could be armed, a short barrelled shotgun might be acceptable.

From a historical viewpoint, these theoretical discussions might give an idea what else might have been used. In addition to these very cool double barrelled howdah tiger defence pistols which seem to have had a very specific purpose. Other more usual firearms used for the purpose might have faded into obscurity. The side by side breech loading howdah pistol IMO owes its origins to the earlier muzzle loading howdah pistols. Two barrels being better for tiger than one! With breech loading firearms, breech loading DRs, shotguns might have been used. I am pretty sure the British officers, colonial officials, and Indian gentlemen hunting might have used the very common .455 Webley revolvers as well. All of these common firearms if used as howdah defence weapons would have faded into historical obscurity.

Lastly my personal interest other than historical fascination, personal desire for acquiring examples on the "never never", research for perhaps writing articles, is also I'd love to develop a "Howdah target shooting" competition. I've brainstormed it before. Build a Howdah basket or cage. Perhaps a bit wobbly. Maybe mountable on a trailer cage for elephant height. A charging tiger target, or flippable tiger target. A cool idea might be a shot or two at a running or charging tiger with a suitable long arm. Then a tiger target at extremely close range flips up. One has X seconds to draw the howdah pistol and fire one or two shots into the kill zone. Simulating a elephant back Tiger hunt. Shots a tiger in the jungle. A wounded tiger attacks the elephant or people on its back.

A Pedersoli .45 LC Howdah pistol might make a decent example for such a comp. Or some of these other firearms we've talked about.

Safety and how to ensure it would be an issue to ensure.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378355 - 05/08/23 12:01 AM

Quote:

From a historical viewpoint, these theoretical discussions might give an idea what else might have been used. In addition to these very cool double barrelled howdah tiger defence pistols which seem to have had a very specific purpose. Other more usual firearms used for the purpose might have faded into obscurity. The side by side breech loading howdah pistol IMO owes its origins to the earlier muzzle loading howdah pistols. Two barrels being better for tiger than one! With breech loading firearms, breech loading DRs, shotguns might have been used. I am pretty sure the British officers, colonial officials, and Indian gentlemen hunting might have used the very common .455 Webley revolvers as well. All of these common firearms if used as howdah defence weapons would have faded into historical obscurity.

A question, not wanting to go off topic. Remember to answer the original opening posts if you can.

Can anyone supply historical references to elephant howdah defense stories, books, articles? I'm sure I've read at least one. But I forget everything other than they squirmed backwards to escape the tigers slashing and grasping claws. I don't remember if the mahout survived unscathed, if a firearm was used etc. Very exciting and dramatic event no doubt.

How common were these instances? Rare or not?

A collection of historical references would be very cool and revealing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#378357 - 05/08/23 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A question, not wanting to go off topic. Remember to answer the original opening posts if you can.

Can anyone supply historical references to elephant howdah defense stories, books, articles? I'm sure I've read at least one. But I forget everything other than they squirmed backwards to escape the tigers slashing and grasping claws. I don't remember if the mahout survived unscathed, if a firearm was used etc. Very exciting and dramatic event no doubt.

How common were these instances? Rare or not?

A collection of historical references would be very cool and revealing.

John, it would not surprise me to find incidents occurring today as common as in the past, maybe more as due to the tourist industry and of course the size of India's human population.

A quick search on youtube brings up a number of attacks today, not necessarily tigers in-the-box but nevertheless, attacking or at least displaying in a manner that would have...in the past...earned them a barrel or two of lead.

These vids might be of service in setting up your Howdah competition!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-WdLv8Es6g

Driver gets mauled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRiyQuIUEXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UJ_RBTYK9g

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9hlWBu63hVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4mwuvdnxHs

"The truth is, less than 85 people are killed or injured - accidentally or otherwise - in a year by tigers here. Many times more die of snakebites or rabies."

But still, let's say, 80.... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-25755104

How many of those 80 might have been stopped by a charge of buckshot or a slug from a "Howdah" gun? Who knows.

I remember when doing wolf research for our government-to-government coordination work being surprised at how many wolf attacks against humans occur in India. Again, dense semi-rural human population and the close proximity to feline and canine predators plus the restrictions on gun ownership and use against them ensures repeated attacks.

"India has the most attacks on humans by tigers, leopards and wolves
People in low-income countries are frequently targeted when farming and fishing."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-25755104

--------------------

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #378417 - 06/08/23 09:32 AM

The saber tooth deer engraved on the OP's rifle are real animals they live in the mainland of China and are a protected species.

Nemo
.224 member

Reged: 16/06/23
Loc: Wisconsin
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: Vladymere]
      #378423 - 06/08/23 04:30 PM

Musk Deer are not real deer but the last surviving members of a 25 million year old family.
They are more closely related to cows than deer.
Very interesting animal and a living fossil.
Hunting them now is about as fashionable as hunting rhinos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musk_deer

--------------------
Nemo -- Everything 44

Edited by Nemo (06/08/23 04:40 PM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: Nemo]
      #378426 - 06/08/23 05:21 PM

An article on the Howdah Rifle that has resided in my gunsafe, can be found here:
TIGER TAMER: A 12-BORE HOWDAH DOUBLE.

It was published in our local Arms Collectors Club Journal way back in June 2008, and famously plagiarized by a "Walter Mitty" with the screen-name Monish over on African Hunting forums!

Still haven't fired that marvelous howdah rifle, but intended to make a handful of solid-web cartridges on the "12-bore from Hell" principle to provide strength at the breech.

Life's too short!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2902

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com