Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What is a Howdah RIFLE?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: Marrakai]
      #378463 - 07/08/23 12:12 PM

Quote:

An article on the Howdah Rifle that has resided in my gunsafe, can be found here:
TIGER TAMER: A 12-BORE HOWDAH DOUBLE.

It was published in our local Arms Collectors Club Journal way back in June 2008, and famously plagiarized by a "Walter Mitty" with the screen-name Monish over on African Hunting forums!

Still haven't fired that marvelous howdah rifle, but intended to make a handful of solid-web cartridges on the "12-bore from Hell" principle to provide strength at the breech.

Life's too short!

Thanks so much for posting this.

Very interesting.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: What is a Howdah RIFLE? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #378464 - 07/08/23 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

An article on the Howdah Rifle that has resided in my gunsafe, can be found here:
TIGER TAMER: A 12-BORE HOWDAH DOUBLE.

It was published in our local Arms Collectors Club Journal way back in June 2008, and famously plagiarized by a "Walter Mitty" with the screen-name Monish over on African Hunting forums!

Still haven't fired that marvelous howdah rifle, but intended to make a handful of solid-web cartridges on the "12-bore from Hell" principle to provide strength at the breech.

Life's too short!

Thanks so much for posting this.

Very interesting.

@Marrakai

This quote suggests a sort of definitive answer to my original question:

"Could this particular rifle have been intended for more general hunting than from a howdah? Most historical writings from Baker to Burrard would tend to indicate otherwise. Even at the beginning of the breech-loading era, the 3 dram charge and spherical ball was not considered particularly adequate for jungle shikar, and was probably rather light even as the primary arm in a howdah."

Big Bore + Light(-er) Powder Charge = Howdah Rifle.

Have you ever encountered a vintage double rifle with barrels less than, say, 18 inches in length?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2900

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com