Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle
      #372922 - 07/01/23 02:26 AM

This one will get some comments!

Quote:

After showing you no. 1 of our first-pair of .416 Rigby No. 2 rifles, we can’t wait to introduce you to no. 2, the “Buffalo” rifle. The rifle features deluxe grade Turkish walnut, with a leaf carving pattern covering all metal parts, with a buffalo discreetly blended into the pattern on the underside of the action and a gold inlaid Rigby ‘double R’ logo, Rigby name and serial number. Looking down upon the rifle, one of its most striking elements is the 3D carved buffalo horns on the fences, with the skull running down the top lever. If you look carefully, you’ll also spy the African continent outline on the right side of the top lever. #RIGBY #RISINGBITE #DOUBLERIFLE #GUNMAKING #416RIGBYNO2

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #372924 - 07/01/23 04:34 AM

Interesting "treatment/engraving-finish" on the metal, but too weird for me. Nice plank, though. The horns are really weird.
Must be from a Congo Pigmi Buff.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #372926 - 07/01/23 04:52 AM

Undoubtedly fine craftsmanship but you have to wonder at the wisdom of the grappling hooks on the fences/ chambers’, they are going to snag pretty much everything other than in a gun safe perhaps

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #372933 - 07/01/23 06:43 AM

Certainly a testament to the Rigby gunmakers and engravers skills, but the whole thing leaves me cold and even a bit nauseous.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: 3DogMike]
      #372940 - 07/01/23 10:37 AM

Nothing a few minutes with an angle-grinder wouldn't fix.
Always respected Rigby for not sacrificing functionality on their best guns, but perhaps those days are over.

Apologies for the negativity, but as stated above those grappling hooks are definitely stupid.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

prairie_ghost
.300 member

Reged: 19/07/08
Loc: casper, wy
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #372941 - 07/01/23 11:47 AM

Finally achieved absurdity- for a price of course. Hope the new owner is elated- and up on a tetanus shot.

mauserand9mm
.375 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #372943 - 07/01/23 12:36 PM

Quote:

LOL.

Maybe Rigby are soon going to be offering a line of hand tools including angle grinders?

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #372946 - 07/01/23 01:06 PM

Simply stunning!

I'm stunned that Rigby would produce such an idiotic example of their gunmakers' skills.
I don't know who, exactly, they are catering to with this one.

During it's conception, I hope the most uttered phrase in the shop was "no thank you"

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

FlatTop45
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/16
Loc: South Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #372947 - 07/01/23 01:10 PM

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, many double guns both past and present had/have exposed hammers and lots of people like them. (I know I do!) Over the years, plenty of game has been bagged with them and many dangerous animals have been dealt with. Sure, the protruding hammers caused some issues and while I agree, they are not as practical as more modern designs, they have served, and continue to serve, hunters well...

Of course, this gun does not have exposed hammers. The "buffalo horns" on this rifle are a little farther forward and protrude out the sides a good bit more that the hammers on a typical double gun. I agree that they will most likely increase their "hooking" ability and while well executed, I personally feel they detract from the overall lines of the gun. I mean, we've all seen rifles encrusted with gold and engraving and what-have-you. Their beauty is in the eye of the beholder and may or not be to our individual taste. However, with the addition of extensive, heavy engraving and those horns on top of the receiver, this particular rifle reminds me of those overly ornate flintlocks and wheel-locks used by long-dead, European noblemen for the grand driven-hunts of the past. You know, the ones with sculpted stocks and metal work with hammers and trigger guards shaped like medieval dragons and dolphins and griffons ("Oh My!"). They were never made to be practical, only to show status and wealth.

Beautiful works of art, maybe... Guns to take hunting, no.

Also, I wish they had provided a photo of the sight picture because it appears to me the opening slot between the horns is a good bit narrower than the width of the rib and the express sights. So, I'm wondering what those horns do to the sight picture. Maybe they are lower than they appear and far enough back so they do not interfere with it, but I don't think so. I think it's just a wider and fancier version of "Buckhorn Sights", the type developed during the 1800's and used on muzzleloaders and other rifles like the Henry and Winchester lever guns. Supposedly, they were designed to increase accuracy by bracketing the target. However, the biggest complaint about those sights is that the "ears" (horns) on the the rear assembly covers too much of the target and restricts the field of view. I wonder how much is obscured by the setup on this Rigby and how strange it appears...

Maybe like trying to sight through a slingshot (catapult or peashooter)???

Doesn't really matter though as I don't expect this rifle will ever see Africa or any of the lands where dangerous game still roams free...

It'll probably spend it's days in the dark, in a vault, safely ensconced on it's throne, as befitting a "Safe Queen".

J

FlatTop45
.300 member

Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: FlatTop45]
      #372948 - 07/01/23 01:16 PM

And if I might add, she'll fit in quite nicely with the owner's gold plated AK-47...

J

Edited by FlatTop45 (07/01/23 01:19 PM)

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: FlatTop45]
      #372949 - 07/01/23 02:51 PM

Oh dear! Dear oh dear!

A gold plated AK47 would show this abomination up.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: Rockdoc]
      #372965 - 08/01/23 07:22 PM

My comments on Rigby creations are usually positive and also admiring. Same for artistic reactions from various makers. Can be unusual and different. If excellently executed but the gun should also should be functional.

In my opinion those fape buffalo horns are dangerous on a double rifle. Could snag of hook on straps, clothing, brush, whatever. Worse than external hammers imo. Hammers form a function however.

I was a little harsh on the IMO aweful engraving saying it looked like it was done with a Dremel ....

Rigby describes both first two .416 no.2 Rising Bites somewhat as a pair? The first again has Arabic engraved scenes. If the same customer, perhaps to an ultra wealthy Arab? A hundred years ago and thereafter for decades, some of the most enthusiastic buyers buying masses of British high end firearms for their sporting armouries were the Indian princely Maharajahs and similar classes. Today it seems to be Arabs. A difference is probably the Maharajahs hunted ferociously and actively. The Arabs imo order gun rack often abominations probably never used. Maybe the odd annual safari with other guns.

Rigby will have to forgive me these comments. I wish the first two .416 no.2 rising bites were shining classics.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372966 - 08/01/23 07:32 PM

Quote:

Always respected Rigby for not sacrificing functionality on their best guns, but perhaps those days are over.

Apologies for the negativity, but as stated above those grappling hooks are definitely stupid.

A scrum cap buffalo might be created to make this rifle usable?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372973 - 08/01/23 08:22 PM

Quote:

A hundred years ago and thereafter for decades, some of the most enthusiastic buyers buying masses of British high end firearms for their sporting armouries were the Indian princely Maharajahs and similar classes. Today it seems to be Arabs.

I wonder what traditionalists said of the Maharajahs guns "back in the day"? No internet. No TV. Few colour photographs. Colour magazines rare. The guns exclusive to wealthy buyers only. Perhaps seen by few.

Were the Rajahs guns seen as over decorated, garish, over engraved with scroll engraving and what not?

Or hunting scenes?

My budget model WJ Jeffery almost certainly filled a Rajah's armoury, probably a loaner for guests. Plain with engraved outlined pictures of gaur bulls. I call them scratchings. With probably a 110 year old gun or so they are a bit worn. Some similar Jeffery drs in .400, like Marrakai owns I think have a leopard engraved instead. Again quite plain but very functional.

A lot of guns of the day were plain. Did these guys scoff at the what we think as beautifully engraved rifles and shotguns? I think "Yes", is the answer. "Those fancy pancy guns will never see a pheasant, the highlands, a buffalo, a swamp, the veldt or the terai ...."

I think a guest of a Rajah was very lucky to be handed a nice British double rifle on a Rajasthan Royal drive.

I remember the pleasure of being handed a WJ Jeffery 12-bore side by side by a Cornwall farmer as a paying guest at a driven pheasant shoot. Yes a plain shotgun, but a Jeffery.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #373050 - 12/01/23 01:28 AM

How about the wood to metal "fit" along the grip end of the trigger guard? Of course it pales in comparison the the rest of that mess.

And to think the guy who had Holland and Holland build that .700 years ago had a heck of a time getting them to do it. It turned out magnificent.

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: degoins]
      #373072 - 12/01/23 09:55 PM

To each their own, I dismiss it as a waste and unusable. Looking at the bottom of the action I see a Buffalo looking at you, shouldn't that have been the south end of the Buffalo going North? Maybe even a pile of BS. on the ground, at the buffs hind legs. Seems the BS would be appropriate.

LGF
.275 member

Reged: 27/04/05
Loc: Kenya/Berkeley, CA
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: LRF]
      #373178 - 16/01/23 10:14 AM

This was ordered by someone who has never carried a rifle in the bush.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: LGF]
      #373185 - 16/01/23 12:18 PM

I have nothing positive to say about this rifle. I just hope the person who ordered it is happy with it.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #373189 - 16/01/23 02:18 PM

I don't know why a company like Rigby would lower their standards to build such a monstrosity such as that thing. No matter how much money a potential client may have, a company like Rigby should tell them to take a hike if approached to build a shit piece like that.

I'm sure Corbett, Bell, Taylor, Selby and many others who used Rigby's in their career would be horrified if they laid eyes on that.

Bindi2
.275 member

Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: WA, Aust
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: eagle27]
      #373192 - 16/01/23 03:42 PM

There is one thing about the sights that maybe innovative with the horns giving a fairly precise range to the animal matching widths.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #373195 - 16/01/23 06:39 PM

Quote:

I have nothing positive to say about this rifle. I just hope the person who ordered it is happy with it.

I'm guessing Allahu Akbar.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: Bindi2]
      #373196 - 16/01/23 06:41 PM

The toplever concept is artistically interesting and innovative. The skull's nose extending down the top lever.

If the horns were worn off like a partial scrum cap, it would be usable as well as artistic. With those hooked horns rather ridiculous.

I really dislike that heavy gouged engraving.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

HeymSR20
.300 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: Scotland
      #373225 - 17/01/23 06:42 AM

No 1 rifle I liked. This one I can fully appreciate the workmanship and artistry etc, but from a utility perspective those horns are just going to irritate.

Now if you were wanting to build a big game rifle, what about using an external hammer, with hammers being the head of a Roan Antelope or similar?

FlatTop45
.300 member

Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: HeymSR20]
      #373256 - 18/01/23 09:25 AM

I was looking through the HeymUSA.com website just now, and under the "Rifles" tab, they show one of their Model 88B Double Rifles with the thumb latch machined with an elephant head; ears, tusks, trunk and all. However, the carving is considerably smaller than the buffalo skull on the Rigby. In this case, the elephant head is set in the middle of the latch and the trunk extends to the top of the thumb piece. The ears extend outward but stop well inside the sides of the action and should not touch the rear of the fence when opened. Also, the tips of the tusks come almost together on the trunk and the entire carving appears to set below the top of the rib. So, it should not interfere with the sight picture and the chance for it catching on clothing or whatever should be much lower.

Not to my personal taste, but it seems to be a much more practical approach if you want a such a carving on your double.

J

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Rigby .416 No.2 Buffalo double rifle [Re: 3DogMike]
      #373261 - 18/01/23 02:19 PM

Quote:

Certainly a testament to the Rigby gunmakers and engravers skills, but the whole thing leaves me cold and even a bit nauseous.
- Mike

I think I agree with this observation. High cool factor, low on practicality.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4261

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com