Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #35528 - 07/08/05 03:18 AM

Bill

I am sure that when I checked out the Baikal site in Russia in the past they were available in 9.3x74R. But since the Spartan deal they only list .30-06 and .45/70.

I think that maybe the expected demand for the "Spartan" will use or over-stretch their manufacturing limits and maybe they have cut back on the other Baikal offerings as a result.

500grains

From photos only the side-by-side sure looks nicer than the under-and-over, at least the 'lines'. Maybe that is why there is a lot more interest in the SbyS.

Michael

I think the Baikal will be a great fun double if it shoots well enough. Especially at the price.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: NitroX]
      #35557 - 07/08/05 06:24 PM

I checked with my local gunshop a few days ago and he told me that they are only available for the U.S market for the first production run ,then they might see what happens later. If anyone can get a shipment organised to OZ ,I will still be interested. As a cose range pig stopper which you dont mind getting wet ,sandy or muddy ,I dont think anything else offers better value.

Michael
.275 member

Reged: 28/07/05
Loc: Darwin, Northern Territory
Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: cr500]
      #35559 - 07/08/05 06:46 PM

Hi Guys,

From my last inspection of the Baikal website the 9.3x74R is offered in their U/O double only. With the expected delay in getting the SxS into Australia I am thinking about ordering one of these to tie me over.

Nitro you are right the SxS has it all over the U/O in aesthetic appeal and also for me, the SxS is THE double rifle. Maybe if I own and shoot a U/O my opinion may change but I doubt it, I even prefer SXS in shotguns although I own both configurations.

The Baikal's seem to have a innovative regulation system whereby one barrel is fixed and the other adjustable so it can be regulated for different loads. I don't know if this system works but I haven't heard anything to the contrary and I am sure it would have been extensively tested before it was adopted. If there are any members who have personal experience with the Baikal double rifle regulation system I am eager to hear from them.

9.3x74R is a sweet round and one that has proven itself over a long period of time, if the rifle regulates well then I think that the U/O should be a winner as well.

AR2201
.275 member

Reged: 31/08/05
Loc: Oz
Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: NitroX]
      #36678 - 31/08/05 11:28 PM

How is this developing?

I am definitely up for giving a Oz$1,500 SxS in 9.3x74R a blast.

But, our only option appears to be 45/70.

All is not lost.

The fad for "Cowboy Action" shooting has brand new 45/90 ammo being produced by PMC (500gn slug at 1250fps) and by someone else whose name escapes me. Cheap brass must be in there somewhere.

I note that 45/90 chamber reamers are advertised at US$99. The only difference between 45/70 and 90 cases is 0.3 inches extra case. Apparently, this change is so minimal that one posting (on the site flogging the reamers mind you) says it could be done by hand, whatever that means.

My handy ballistics program tells me that if you load the 45/90 to just under Malin lever action presure levels you should be able get a 400 gn SN Woodleigh moving at 2,000fps easy (Barnes has listed a 400gn Solid)

This gives 3" high at 100yds and 4.5" low at 200yds, not bad.

Depending on the freebore you have to play with and what the action handling a 30-06 actually means (load it right up to Marlin lever action levels?), 2,150fps with the 400gn may be entirely realistic, this would give you the classic NE trajectory 3" high at 100yds 3" low at 200yds.

That's aiming and punching almost (leaving sectional density aside, a big leave) like the real thing. At the very least it has thin skined DG written all over it.

A 500gn slug starting out at 1700fps giving 3" high at 100yds and 3" low at 175yds is not to be dissmissed lightly.

And you can tinker with the regulation yourself, the merits of this rifles system, dubious or otherwise, remain to be seen.

Looks like I'm trying real hard to talk myself into this, consider me officially interested.

You thoughts

AR2201
.275 member

Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: AR2201]
      #36712 - 01/09/05 06:39 PM

Further to our wish for a Spartan in 9.3x74R

worldlinks@baikalinc.ru

This is Baikal's contact email, I sent them the following mesage:

MP-221 "ARTEMIDA"

Could you please consider chambering the MP-221 "ARTEMIDA" SxS double rifle in 9.3x74R

I wish you every success.

Let Baikal know your interest in the MP-221 ARTEMIDA (labelled Spartan by Remington) cambered in 9.3x74R directly.

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
      #36818 - 03/09/05 05:01 PM

AR2201 you are quite right that the 45-90 can be very powerful, there was an article in one of our American periodicals about converting a Lee Enfield for this and some very heavy near .458WCF loads were used. But for us in the US there is such a variety of heavy power commercial .45-70 loads available that only the inveterate experimenter will bother with rechambering his new Spartan.

Michael
.275 member

Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: vigillinus]
      #36822 - 03/09/05 09:37 PM

AR2201 & Virgillinus,

Please excuse my ignorance but how does the 45/90 and the heavy commercial 45/70 loads compare with the old time Nitro loads.

I understand that they will come nowhere near the power of the 470 or higher but what about the 400, 450BPE etc. Just trying to get a visualisation in how the power measures up with genuine Nitro cartridges.

Would you have any idea about the Taylor KO vaue or recoil velocity that these cartridges would generate?

I undersatnd that it is all hypothetical until we can actually get our hands on these firearms but would like to know anyway.

By the way does anybody know whether they have been retailing in the US yet? If so have we received any reports on the quality and performance of the firearm especially the unorthodox regulation system? Any feedback from our US brothers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: Michael]
      #36823 - 03/09/05 10:14 PM

Michael,

If you get hold of a copy of Cartridges of the World
it has most of the information to do a comparison
in there.

You can then work out Taylor's KO
values using the information.

500 Nitro

AR2201
.275 member

#36858 - 04/09/05 06:57 PM

Baikal's response below

Dear Sir,

Next year this SbS rifle will be quantity-produced,
at this time we'll try to take into account
all tastes of our customers.
Regards,
Baikal-IMZ, Russia

Not without hope!

AR2201
.275 member

Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: vigillinus]
      #36860 - 04/09/05 08:10 PM

Virgillinus

Availability of suitable ammo over the couter is an important consideration when obtaining any gun.

Among the attractions of the 45/90 rechambering is the alteration is so minimal you could still fire 45/70 ammo in the rechambered gun with confidence.

So what do you hazard? perhaps too much freebore may bother some of the stumpier projectiles, perhaps not, many of the bigger NE camberings have very long throats, this was supposed to flatten out the pressure spike.

What caught my eye was the inconsistency of an action that on the one hand is available chambered for the 30-06 (SAAMI pressure 50,000 CUP), but, on the other specifically noted as being held to SAAMI for the 45/70 ie. trapdoor springfield levels (28,000 CUP).

Are they just big girl's blouses covering their arses or is there something behind it?

If there is then having the extra powder capacity of the 45/90 would mean you could match the full potential of the 45/70 without popping any rivets.

If there isn't, then you have a 45/90 to load up to 1895 Marlin levels and still be leaving yourself a chunky 10+% margin from the 30-06 intensity which they are backing in the self same action.

AR2201

PS. I am an inverterate tinkerer, being able to re-regulate to suit differing loads is a definite plus.

I note that, elsewhere on this forum, the Tikka while being bagged for being an U/O is most definitely not bagged in regard its regulation system and accuracy.

That's a point how many doubles are available with inbuilt re-regulation mechanisms?

The Tikka/Vamet and now the Artemida, what others?

AR2201
.275 member

#36861 - 05/09/05 12:34 AM

Michael

Kynoch currently offer the 450/400 3 1/4" as a 41 cal 400gn projectile doing 2,150fps for 4,105 ftlbs ME. This was considered an all rounder ie. enough for DG and is a classic Nitro Express cartridge.

Hence, assuming we can load the 45/90 to 1895 Marlin levels (which is what Pedersoli backs its Kodiak Mk IV 45/70 double to handle) my ballistics program tells me we could match the 450/400 ie, 400gn bullet at 2,150.

Given the above, energy and momentum(kick) the 45/90 may match a classic NE loading (even the trajectory isn't that far off). So it would definitely deliver a "feels like a", "trajectory like a" classic NE cartridge and all in a "points like a" double rifle package.

Hence my comment "almost like the real thing", but, there is more to it than mere energy.

Energy is a measure of the total destructive potential of a cartridge and many spectacular things can be done with high energy projectiles in fact so much so that there are those blind to all else (not those who gather here), but, that energy must first be delivered before it can have any effect.

Delivery = Penetration.

This is where the 45/90 starts to fall behind, penetration must be a function of momentum brought to bear on an area ie. weight times velocity divided by area of impact or gnsfps/sqin.

The 450/400 41 cal 400gn projectile at 2,150fps gives 6,482,237gnsfps/sqin, whereas the 45/90 46 cal 400gn at 2,150fps gives 5,220,085gnsfps/sqin ie. the 450/400 has 25% more go forward than the 45/90 to deliver the same energy.

Interestingly, this measure of penetration potential places the 458 Win (500gn 2,150fps)on a par with the 450/400 both of which lagg behind the 375 H&H Magnum(300gn 2,550fps) by about 7%. The 375 H&H is supposed to have taken the "best all rounder" crown from the 450/400.

It is well worth noting that the 9.3x74R scores well on this measure especially with the 320gn projectile (up there with the 375 H&H). Perhaps this is the substance behind this cartridge's robust reputation ie. what it has it can deliver. Artemida/Spartan in 9.3x74R please.

Taylor index leans towards the bigger bores so

TI
450/400 = 50
45/90 = 56
375H&H = 41

You see the weakness of the TI, 45/90 better than a 375H&H, and by a wide margin, I find that hard to credit.

Recoil! 7.5lbs is light, it would kick like a bastard, more than twice a 303, only 20% less than a 458Win in fact. The 9.3x74R appears to offer more penetration potential for 3/4 the kick, Artemida/Spartan in 9.3x74R please. But, extra weight installed into the buttstock and a good butt pad could tone that down. The 450/400 was considered mild, but that was typically in 10lb+ guns.

All said, a 45/90 delivering a 46 cal 400gn projectile at 2,150fps is an awful lot of point and shoot (too much from a 7.5lb gun?). The achievable option is a NT Buff shoot. Is this going to do it?

Having exactly nil Buffalo shooting experience I would be confident that my putting the bullet where it can do its business would be a much more significant question.

AR2201

Michael
.275 member

#36918 - 05/09/05 04:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys,

AR2201 the 45/90 sounds great! Especially in comparison to other bona fide big-game cartridges. The gun is looking sweeter by the second not that I needed any further justification for the investment.

Although the question still remains has anybody on this forum or otherwise actually purchased an example of this gun? I thought that it would have retailed already in the US under the Spartan label but the lack of feedback suggests that it hasn't been released yet, when is this due for release in the US?

A review on this gun and how it shoots would be great also if it is available then a importation into Australia may be on the cards.

Thanks,

Michael.

AR2201
.275 member

#36919 - 05/09/05 06:49 PM

Michael

NB. the gun comes as a 45/70, this would first need to be rechambered to 45/90. It's a project, but, what a project, the pieces want to fit.

I can't help but second the "has anybody purchased an example" as being the first purchaser of the first run is leap of faith stuff and I am not even slightly religious, especially where my toy budget is concerned.

AR2201

PS. if they produce it in 9.3x74R then damn the consequences, pick me first, a 9.3x74R SxS double which I could regulate to suit myself would be sweet.

iwantadouble
.300 member

Reged: 06/06/05
Loc: Gallatin County, Montana
      #37080 - 09/09/05 12:26 PM

I keep looking at the rifle and wondering if it is possible to cut it open for one of the .450's. Given the low pressure and case configuration of the .450 #2, it would be my personal choice to try to fit into the rifle. The only problem I can really see with the rechambering would be the extra length of the .450 #2 over the .45-70, and running out of chamber meat. I am not a fan of the .45-70 by any stretch of the imagination. Now if they would release it in either the .375 Belted or Flanged, or the 9.3X74R, I would instantly jump up and buy one sight unseen.

Being that its a new firearm and I've not had any experience with, or read anything regarding its adjustable regulation setup, I am a little leary of it. That aside, if it does show to be a usable setup along with a better selection of chamberings offered, I would purchase one.

--------------------
500 is a nice round number, either followed by "Nitro Express" or by "cubic inch displacement".

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: iwantadouble]
      #37095 - 09/09/05 03:27 PM

iwantadouble

Chamber it for a 375 Flanged Magnum and it will be off the face
in 25 shots and probably the same with 375 Belted.

If you want a 9.3 or 375 double, plenty are available on the market
so why not buy one of these.

By the time you frigg around playing with things most people wouldn't
know what they are playing with, you would probably have spent more time
than it's worth.

You are correct in running out of Chamber meat if trying to rechamber to 450 No 2.

Don't the designers design and make things for a reason, not so someone can then
stuff around with it - potentially dangerously so. And if and when one does go
"bang" in someones face from a rechamber, it will be the same story - Such and such
gun went "bang" in someones face, not "iwantadouble played around with his gun
and rechambered it and ...... you know the story.

Stop trying to make a Mercedes out of a Ford

500 Nitro

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #37101 - 09/09/05 08:17 PM

I think the Baikals before they were "re-badged" as a Spartan were advertsied as being available in 9.3x74R. From memory only. Maybe the expected demand has contracted the calibre choice.

I think 500Nitro is right in suggesting the chamberings not be played around with.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

AR2201
.275 member

#37102 - 09/09/05 08:37 PM

iwanadouble/500 Nitro

Precisely the point of going to the 45/90 WCF as you are not taking any chamber meat at all, nil, none, zip, the head and rim sizes are identical to the 45/70 you are literally just shaving 0.3" more length to the neck.

Compare the case dimensions. An important point is you can still fire 45/70 ammo as this part of the chamber remains untouched.

But, the extra case length is the lesser bonus, the big pay-off is it is in a double!

So what?

So the stupid OAL restrictions, (and flat nose slug requirement) that cripple the cartridge to feed it through a lever gun, are irrellevant.

You are free to relieve as much freebore as suits your whim.

Some of the bigger NE DRs came with a lot (0.75") of freebore, the thinking being it rounded the peak off the pressure profile.

So you can let it all hang out out front and, if the old timers knew their stuff, all for a lower peak to the pressure profile.

Relieving the throat makes for a whole different show.

You get more powder space for free. Your only question is what seating depth/crimp combo you require to hold the projectile under recoil?

Assume one diameter ie. 0.458", conservative?

Std 45/90 OAL 2.88" when using a 450gn Barnes Solid gives seating depth of 0.910" for OAL 2.880" with 53.6gns usable case capacity.

But with a throat relieved and a seating depth of 0.458 you get an OAL of 3.332" with 72.4gns of usable case capacity.

That is a big difference.

At 0.910" seating depth you are pushing the 450gn at 1,700fps, but, for the same pressure at 0.458" seating depth you are pushing the 450gn at 2000fps.

What pressure? SAAMI specification for the 0.444 Marlin (a modern straight wall cartridge for lever gun) is 42,000CUP, these numbers match to that (ignoring the long free bore = lower pressure claim) according to my you beaut ballistics program.

450gn at 2,000fps ............ and that is not pushing it (in fact deliberately and consistently erring on the side of caution).

450gn at 2,000fps ............ Buff?

Dream on.

AR2201
The sleep of reason breeds monsters

PS. this thing also comes in 30-06 SAAMI 50,000CUP, thats 19% more than the 42,000CUP for the 444 Marlin we are using as a reference.

AR2201
.275 member

#37108 - 09/09/05 10:59 PM

500 Nitro

"If you want a 9.3 or 375 double, plenty are available on the market so why not buy one of these".

Plenty?!

Earth to 500 Nitro, as far as I am aware there are only three offerings with some mechanism to regulate a load to your satisfaction (please let me know of others), otherwise it's just get what you are given and be grateful.

You have the:
. Tikka/Valmet (U/O);
. the Baikal (SxS) and
. the "Blaser" (SxS).

The Tikka suffers from the U/O "not quite the real thing" fashion crime, but, its accuracy and regulation mechanism are fair dinkum.

The "Blaser" is treated as some kind of joke on this forum, so forget it.

That leaves the Baikal, as yet, an unknown quantity.

So if I wish to load and regulate to my satisfaction, the option in 9.3x74R is a Tikka in U/O, that's it, only one option.

There are no SxS 9.3x74R options.

Leaving aside the 9.3x74R, in SxS I have the "as yet unknown" Baikal.

So the Baikal it is, my choice is 30-06 (wha? who cares) or 45/70 (well it is something, we can work with this).

The 45/90 with 0.75" freebore SxS project is achievable.

Spartan in 9.3x74R please.

AR2201

By the way has anyone got their hands on one of these mythical bloody Spartans yet?

Is there any news?

Especially on the regulation mechanism, does it work?
Does it work for both windage and elevation?

500Nitro
.450 member

#37112 - 09/09/05 11:08 PM

Let me add.

I am not an English only double person - in fact I own
Merkels and Sarasquita's.

I LIKE the idea of low cost doubles and the Spartan / Baikal
sounds very good indeed and will allow people to get a first double.

Like the Beretta Silver and Gold Sables in 9.3 x 74R and lower cost
Baikal's currently on the market at the moment, they are great guns
for what they are and what you pay for them.

However they build and PROOF guns for a reason.

500 Nitro

PS - Lets hope China doesn't start building cheap Doubles !!!

AR2201
.275 member

Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: iwantadouble]
      #37183 - 10/09/05 07:50 PM

iwantadouble

The endpoint for reaming out the 45-70 is not the 45-90, it is the 45-120, these three share case head diameters.

The 45-120 is the 45/90 plus an extra 0.85" of case. These cases are available from Bell ~US$2.29 a shell (you even get to pay real NE prices for your shells).

Using the 450 No.2 NE 480gn projectile, seated to 0.458 gives 94gns of usable case capacity. With this you get to within 100fps of the 450 No.2 NE, at our Marlin lever gun intensity 42,000CUP limit.

You are way inside NE territory, you are there, no ifs, no buts.

Now I'm with 500 Nitro on expressing concern and counseling caution about reaming the 45-70 out to the 450 No.2 NE. I note that there is a distinct transition in reciever size across all manufacturers when you move head size from the lesser calibres (45-70 at 0.505" seems to mark the top end of these) to the 450 NE head size 0.545", let alone the 450 No.2 ~0.580".

To ream the 45-70 out to the 450 No.2 NE you must change the chamber from accepting 0.505" shells to 0.580" shells, thats hacking 75 thou from the very guts of a chamber, that's alot, as 500 Nitro rightly says that is eating into the meat, hairy stuff.

However, far be it from me to hasten you to your own destruction, but, I do understand you must if you must.

And if you must, compared to the 450 No.2 NE just how much metal would you be removing for a 45-120? Huge amounts less.

You aren't touching the chamber wall hardly at all are you, just extending the neck a bit, well more than a bit, oh OK alot, 1.15" past where you started and 0.8" past the longest chamber the manufacturers put in the gun.

NB. that this is 0.85" past where this urging bastard is prepared to go himself first off, don't listen to him, he just wants you to test the water with both of your (not his) feet.

Off the shelf components, readily available reamers, real NE DG power all in a package you can regulate to your own satisfaction. Sounds good, real good, almost too good.

If the above fantasy, reaming the 45-70 to 45-120 (not forgetting your freebore), works out and you succeed then congratulations you will have a real 450 in a 7.5lb gun ........ a raging pitiless recoil monster, make it weigh 11.0 lbs before you detonate it even once, repeat, even once.

AR2201

Ah but visions you will see

500Nitro
.450 member

#37197 - 11/09/05 01:30 AM

AR2201

Can you update your profile so we know which country you are from.

Re plenty of 9.3 x 74 doubles, I was thinking in general,
not "those with some mechanism to regulate a load to your satisfaction"

The "Blaser" is treated as some kind of joke on this forum, so forget it.
WHY Forget it ?
How many people here have actually handled one or shot one and secondly,
as much as I respect alot of the experienced people's views on this forum,
we don't know everything and this forum is not the be all and end all of knowledge.

As to buying a Spartan because it has "some mechanism to regulate a load to your satisfaction"
I thought people were liking the idea of a Spartan as a low cost double.
Why do you need to continually re regulate the double to your satisfaction".

What is wrong with the Straight out factory loads in 9.3 x 74R or any of the others
you want the manufacturer to chamber for ?

If I want to re regulate the double to your satisfaction, I just create a different load.
I have 2 or 3 doubles (375 and 9.3) that I can get different loads / bullet weights to
shoot to the same point of impact.

If it's velocity you want more of, velocity doesn't kill animals.

As to 45/70 to 45/90, I was not arguing against that as it is mostly insignificant.

But go ahead. I'd like to see someone fire a 7.5lb 450.

IT ONLY HAS TO LET GO ONCE.
and a photo of someone's head splattered with pieces of chamber
and receiver would make an interesting memorial to the person.

Why not just get out and shoot hunt with what you've got and let the
bench rest boys do the endless tinkering.

500 Nitro

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #37202 - 11/09/05 04:49 AM

Hear! Hear!

500Nitro is right. Double rifles are not for experimentation, customization, and tinkering. Buy one you like, develop a REASONABLE load for which it regulates, and then shoot it until it feels just right in your hands.

If you want to fart around with custom chambers and wildcat loads, get a bench gun.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

AR2201
.275 member

#37243 - 12/09/05 12:26 AM

500 Nitro

The Blaser, I have been looking fairly hard, but, there is bugger all info, except for what is in this forum, so thats the only voice talking.

I have managed to track down witness from people who own and use Blaser bolt guns (accruatereloading forum). Which get a pretty good rap from them. The Blaser bolt gun's only real reported flaw is one it shares with the Canadian Ross rifle, another really good rifle, well, except for "that" flaw.

Though I'd like to see you try and convince a German engineer that tight tolerances can be bad. Engineers from Europe and Yankestan sometimes display a profound ignorance of dust and dust can and does do evil things to machinery.

As far as actual reports on the double, even any info, it is in very short supply (please help). The Blaser web site wastes lots more space on the trimmings (engraving etc.), which don't matter, than on the technical detail which does.

Pretty much all they say is their guns are real good and real pretty buy one real soon and the prettier the better. Yeah right, what else are they going to say? I note they seem to have that dickey cocking thingo Kreighoff seem so proud of. What is it with safeties? why all the buggerising around? give us a nice definite manual safety and have done.

"Why do you need to continually re regulate the double to your satisfaction"

Very good question.

First, we don't need to do any of this, we want to.

So, why do anything? The key word is satisfaction, what satisfaction do you derive from your chosen recreation, hunting.

Hunting is fun, pure and simple, what more needs be said or even can be said, if the phrase "hunting is fun" does not say it to you.

What do you hunt with? Knives and dogs? no, but you can. Bows and arrows? no, but you can. Guns? Pick me!

How do you hunt? This is DR territory, we stalk into the bush, get up close and personal and despatch the game (which can reciprocate, but, usually runs away) cleanly with the gun we trust to do it for us.

You clearly have a collection of guns which you have loaded up so they shoot. When you want to go hunting you take your choice, no criticism from my part, I know exactly where you are coming from.

In hunting if the game on the grass is the destination, what is the journey?

Now for me getting a gun so it shoots a load is just the beginng of getting to know the weapon. What else does it shoot, how does it shoot, what are its preferences, guns have distinct personalities.

Being stuck with one load is a bit of a pig in a poke (if you must be then thank Woodleigh for its many blessings), but, what about all those other fantastic projectile options out there?

If you only have the one choice and you have found it, well, boring toy time, stick it on the rack with all the others.

The more I put into the journey the more satisfaction I feel when I get to the destination. It pleases me to take game with the shells I have loaded myself, with the projectiles I have selected with a gun I have shaken down and sighted in (even more if I have selected the parts and had the weapon constructed according to my instructions).

Further, the more ground and game I cover with a weapon the more satisfaction I derive from it, the more confidence I develope with it. A virtuous circle.

"What is wrong with the Straight out factory loads in 9.3 x 74R or any of the others you want the manufacturer to chamber for ?"

Whoops, bad example, as it turns out lots (I will honor the intent of your question after the content).

Both, Norma and RWS KS 232 gns are unacceptable, these are designed for Euro driven game boar shooting. Irrelevant, I already own the ultimate pig rifle.

Norma 285gn Alaskans are likewise unacceptable.

Why?

Norma projectiles are 0.364" (nasty wrinkle, only found that out by chance), everyone else uses 0.366" (specifically Woodleigh), there are questions as to the reliability of Norma brass (case head separations reported after only two shots, ugly, nasty ugly) and these loads are already too damn hot.

The Norma loads are rocking, full blast, surfing on maximum, which is OK for Autumn on the Arctic Circle, but, what happens when I pull the trigger in 47 degrees Celsius (with pitiful ejector toys and questionable brass) exactly? precisely? Do you want to voluteer? Bags I stand behind you.

The option is the RWS T Mantel 285gr load, this is a big 0.366" soft point that looks very close in profile to the Woodleigh 285gn and is loaded 5% back off maximum.

I had been searching for a double that is regulated to something useful which I could hope to reproduce with a Woodleigh and my option turned out to be the Pedersoli hammer gun which is regulated to the RWS 285gn T Mantel, luke warm on that one, but, an option and I am grateful for that.

Merkel regulate to Norma loads, not acceptable, in fact, I cannot exclude the possibility of them being actually dangerous. I have asked them about regulation to other loads but no response. Most of the Euro's (eg. chapuis) regulate their DR 9.3x74R for pig loads, which I don't care about.

But, this content illustrates the intent of your question, what is wrong with guns regulated to factory loads? Lots, you are stuck with what someone else wants. Stuck with the B grade option, stuck in the second rate seat, stuck with someone else telling you what you want, stuff that, I want what I want and what do they know? Really?

The Euros clearly know about ice and snow but don't know shit about heat and dust, if I didn't know better and stuck a Norma 285gn load in a Merkel out west in Summer there is a very real possibility, even a likelyhood, I could be stuck with a jammed gun or worse.

What do I want, well I think a 9.3x74R regulated to shoot 320gn Woodleighs loafing along at 2,150fps would be a thing of great beauty, they are clearly made for each other, wouldn't that be a sweet thing, do I need it, no, I want it.

No 9.3x74R gun comes regulated for that....awwwww

Now we get right down to it, and having a gun regulated to shoot 320gnrs is still not quite it, I think it would be great to work up a Buff load go and knock one over, but, then spin around to the other extreme and work up a 250gn load for Sambar and go and knock one of them over, its the journey (load development, range time, hunt organisation, etc), there is no journey without a destination, a DR you could regulate means more destinations means more journeys.

Sure, you could probably do both with the 285gn, but, it would be more fun for me in doing the Buff with the 320gn and then the Sambar with the 250gn.

Do you see what I am trying to say?

What I want is something I can make into what I want when I want it to take me where I want to go. Simple.

"If it's velocity you want more of, velocity doesn't kill animals."

I completely agree, it is the projectile/velocity/placement totality that kills animals, being able to choose your projectile adds to that happenning, especially if it is in something that handles as well as a double.

"But go ahead. I'd like to see someone fire a 7.5lb 450."

Not this little black duck, by my calculations a 500gn doing 2,150fps is going to punch 3.25 times harder than your standard shotgun shell for the same weight gun, most people struggle with shotguns (checked your flinch lately).

If a 9.3x74R doesn't materialise (my options list is very thin) and the 45-90 0.75" freebore project gets the nod then it will be weighing at least 10lbs before I pull any triggers. That should tone a 400gn doing 2,150 recoil down to 1.8 times a 7.5lb shottie.

I must admit it was fun watching the lads on Accuratereloading firing the Tyrannosaur, the thing is useless, but, funny to watch them harm themselves, silly buggers, boys will be boys. I'm all for putting it together and seeing what happens, but, how could such a thing be hunted with, its a gimmick. Still, if it wasn't for experimenting we would still be swinging from the trees.

"IT ONLY HAS TO LET GO ONCE.
and a photo of someone's head splattered with pieces of chamber and receiver would make an interesting memorial to the person."

Yes it would and I would like to examine the pieces to see exactly what happenned.

Oh you are shocked! The stuntman who got killed making Mad Max, his mates insisted the actual footage be left in the movie as precisely that.

Funny attitude to risk taking there 500 Nitro old mate.

DR = DG = Risk taking.

Its about getting out of your cotton wool lined artificial wombs and stalking into the bush where you could get stamped into a greasy patch by a Buffalo, its about stalking into the lignum where you could get cut up by a boar (even though you could drive through in the ute).

When you hear of a base jumper whose parachute didn't open and he fell to his death, what reaction do you have?

When you hear about those lone round the world sailors who get capsized, what reaction do you have?

Mine is "so what", no tears for the tough guy, he took his chances and got it wrong.

Now, what about if you hear about a hunter who gets killed by DG? What reaction do you have?

No hypocrisy! No "what should my reaction be" bullshit.

Remember, that hunter's death validates the D in DG, so what is your reaction? really?

What attitude can you adopt to the essential something that makes DG what it is? Makes it the thing you think is excellent, eh?

"Why not just get out and shoot hunt with what you've got and let the bench rest boys do the endless tinkering."

They are toys, play with them. For the love of Pete I have to explain the joy of playing with your toys to you? You are missing out on fun.

What do you do on wet days stuck at home, apart for waste time on this forum, make moon calf eyes at your idle toys? Get stuck into a project in the shed!
Work towards your next trip.

AR2201

PS

Death of Hunter = Dangerous Game Hunting
Dangerous Game Hunting = Excellent
Death of Hunter = Excellent

Wipe the dust from the mirror
Look long, look hard
No wriggle room on that one

AR2201
.275 member

Re: Aussies - who is interested in a Spartan? [Re: CptCurl]
      #37244 - 12/09/05 12:50 AM

Curl

Yeah wildcats are a blast and I have had a most excellent selection, but, I have moved on. I still have some of my favourites, can't bring myself to part with them.

But, truth is they are collecting dust on the boring toy shelf, been there done that, such is life.

Now DRs they look like fun.

Whats your most recent hunt?

AR2201

500Nitro
.450 member

#37246 - 12/09/05 01:14 AM

Now for me getting a gun so it shoots a load is just the beginng of getting to know the
weapon. What else does it shoot, how does it shoot, what are its preferences,
"guns have distinct personalities."

You can say that again - and double rifles even more so !!! - Good and Bad.

"Merkel regulate to Norma loads, not acceptable, in fact, I cannot exclude the possibility
of them being actually dangerous. I have asked them about regulation to other loads but
no response. Most of the Euro's (eg. chapuis) regulate their DR 9.3x74R for pig loads,
which I don't care about."

Merkels would load / regulate with Woodleighs - 286 and 320gn
Chapuis also regulate with 286 and 320gn Woodleighs as a mate has one
and he shot buff with it.
And a mate has an O/U Beretta that also shoots 286 and 320gn Woodleighs.

You may not be aware but you can get doubles to regulate with lighter bullets
quite easily.
ie 500 Nitro / 570gn bullet is easy to get to regulate with 440gn BP Woodleighs.
Therefore IF a double in 9.3 x 74R is regulated for a 286gn whatever,
you should easily be able to get it to regulate with 320gns as we have proven in
3 different 9.3 doubles.
It all comes down to experience.

The same applies to 250gn 9.3 bullets.

I have 2 x 375 doubles and I can get 3 bullet weights to regulate so you can make
them into what you want.

Re "Funny attitude to risk taking there 500 Nitro old mate"
- after jumping out of perfectly good aeroplanes with a parachute and
done some of the other rather hairy activiities in the military, it takes a
fair bit to get me going / excited now - probably why I like to hunt
Dangerous game and in the future want to hunt animals that hunt back !!!

See people splattered does not worry me at all - as long as it's not a relative
of mine.

Re When you hear of a base jumper whose parachute didn't open and he fell to his death,
what reaction do you have?

When you hear about those lone round the world sailors who get capsized, what reaction
do you have?

None - it doesn't phase me at all as I am a firm believer in "You take responsibility for
your own actions".

IF you die in the process of doing something "out of your cotton wool lined artificial wombs"
as you say so well, then I get sick of people blaming everyone but themselves.

When I got charged this year by a Buff and all I had was a 338 with a 6x Scope, it was my fault
but as I had practised mentally what to do, I did it and came off OK - just - but it was still my
responsibility, no one else's.

As to
"Now, what about if you hear about a hunter who gets killed by DG?
What reaction do you have?

No hypocrisy! No "what should my reaction be" bullshit.

Remember, that hunter's death validates the D in DG, so what is your reaction? really?

Exactly as you say - D is for Dangerous. If you get kiled hunting DG, tough shit.
If you don't like the danger, don't hunt DG.

I think we are both on the same track !!!

500 Nitro

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16378

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com