Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Red Dot Sights

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Red Dot Sights [Re: NitroX]
      #368919 - 03/09/22 02:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll try again. Anyone know of sights using a triangle or an open arrow/V . The movie "Outpost" shows the latter.

Trijicon

ACOG has that type of reticle
https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ta31f

Yes that's the sight and reticle on the M4s.

A triangle or v 's tip can be very sv0ccurate compared to a circle dot.

The 1MOA or 2.5MOA can actually be more accurate than one thinks as well.. When training with my retired military guys, they all have dots.. as I stated above.. smaller dots leads to very acceptable accuracy out to 100 yards with a handgun..

I see your point..(pun intended)... and agree, the triangle is very good ..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Red Dot Sights [Re: Ripp]
      #368933 - 03/09/22 08:40 AM

Also look at the Trijicon 1-4 one of their reticles is a picket post set up. The post is two thin lines, looks solid but isn't with a solid triangle on top is a different colour, reg or green or amber. Very quick to use and can be used for pinpoint shooting. Close and fast cover aiming point with the triangle, Pinpoint shooting use the top point of the triangle. Similar intent as the above.

Trijicon make scopes that are very rugged/strong and tend to be innovative.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Red Dot Sights [Re: Rule303]
      #368936 - 03/09/22 07:43 PM

Perhaps prompted by my mention of the "Outpost" military "red dot ∆" sight. Which turns out to be actually a 4x scope. I was meaning really 1x red dot or v dot sight not a scope. When getting to scopes all sorts of reticles, illuminated reticles are possible.

The Trijicon 1-4x reticle isn't bad. I don't know if I would choose that reticle or another.

At first thought Trijicon was still only those aweful accupoint scopes. Cheap looking, ugly. And the useless tritium and daylight unpowered illuminated scopes. "Automatic" light intensity setting which is dim in the dark, and washes out in daylight.

BUT due to better examples by other makers I see they now offer a battery accupower version. Which has some good points. Set your intensity. And each half setting is an off. Half a click to turn off or in, not 12 clicks! Excellent.

At US$700 for a 1-4x I might put one on my Valmet 12b/7x65R. Or .30-06 or 9.3x74R Valmet U/O barrels. But way too fugly for a good double rifle. But I would consider other reticles. For the Valmet combination shotgun rifle barrels in 12b and 7x65R or .223, the 1x scope reticle needs to work well for the shotgun. And on 1x or 4x work well for the rifle barrel. 4x is OK for the 7x65R. 8x is better for a .223.

A 1-4x scope is fine for a 9.3x74R U/O. OK for a .30-06 U/O as well.

For a side by side I would look more for a RMR type dot with a V dot. The RMR with the battery underneath is a huge negative. I believe Doktor or similar has the battery changeable from on top. Imagine having to unscrew from a dovetail to change the battery and then possibly have to resight it in again.

As I said why are only DOTs offered? An inverted V or triangle allows accurate aiming on the point.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Red Dot Sights [Re: Ripp]
      #368937 - 03/09/22 07:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll try again. Anyone know of sights using a triangle or an open arrow/V . The movie "Outpost" shows the latter.

Trijicon

ACOG has that type of reticle
https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ta31f

Yes that's the sight and reticle on the M4s.

A triangle or v 's tip can be very accurate compared to a circle dot.

The 1MOA or 2.5MOA can actually be more accurate than one thinks as well.. When training with my retired military guys, they all have dots.. as I stated above.. smaller dots leads to very acceptable accuracy out to 100 yards with a handgun..

I see your point..(pun intended)... and agree, the triangle is very good ..

The reason I said 3.5 MOA, even 6 MOA is better, V dot, use the tip for accuracy, is the 1 and 2 MOA are too small for good quick shooting. Especially shotgun. A 6 MOA is good for a shotgun but inaccurate for rifle shooting except close quick stuff. A compromise could be a 3.5 to 6 MOA V or ∆.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Red Dot Sights [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #369443 - 22/09/22 02:32 AM

Quote:

I have 2 of the Leopold models mounted on 2 different double rifles (a .303 and a 375 2 1/2”) plus a 416 Rigby bolt rifle. Inside 100 yards I actually like them better than a scope. JJ Perodeau made new rear sites for all of them with a small grove on the side. He drifted the original rear site out and reinstalled his rear site and then mounted the red dot. This keeps the rifle all original with no modifications, a very clean set up (and allows my old eyes to still enjoy my doubles).
Hope that helps,
Robert

Holland & Holland .30 Super, 4585

Thomas Bland .375 2 1/2”
Bland with red dot . 4549 4550

.303 Woodward Automatic
4546. 4547. 4548

416 Rigby with red dot .
4542. 4543

Apologies, I missed the emails when they came in.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#369447 - 22/09/22 03:14 AM

I like this set up. Remove vintage express sights. Keep on hand for authenticity. Buy new similar rear sight. Attach . Cut grove or what is required on new rear sight. Attach red dot sight. If light enough may not affect regulation. Preferably QD.

Now if the red dot does not "star" for me, even better.

Triangle big 3.5 MOA dot please!

A red dot sight should be faster shooting

--------------------
John aka NitroX

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
      #369457 - 22/09/22 09:52 AM

Thanks for posting for me John. I actually just picked up that Holland super .30 since the original posting. JJ made a replacement blank drifted it back in where the site was and put a grove in it then mounted the red dot (we were trying to get it as low as possible). The others we did a complete replacement site and then mounted the red dot. On the Rigby since it was a New Rigby and not a vintage he just cut a groove in the quarter rib. Even with my old eyes I can shoot with a red dot out to 125 yards or so with no problem. It’s a nice way to shoot the old guns and keep them original.
Robert
(And, I agree a triangle might be the ideal set up)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Red Dot Sights [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #374072 - 13/02/23 02:49 AM

I'm still looking.

Open style "dot" sight.

Arrow or upside down V sight. 3.5 moa. Battery. Battery can be swapped without removing from the rifle. Can be mounted on a groove or some suitable dr mounting. Low profile, not bulky. Must stand up to heavy recoil.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (13/02/23 03:53 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3938

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com