Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
maral
.224 member

Reged: 17/05/11
Loc: Norway
Chapuis Brousse 470 NE
      #351547 - 20/03/21 02:42 AM

I got an offer from a friend to buy his Chapuis Brousse double rifle in 470 NE. I dont know much about Chapuis, and would like to hear if any of you experienced DR users could give me some input. I know the rifle has seen very little use, and to me, it looks to be in good shape. Any ideas of what make of ammunition Chapuis uses for regulating their 470 NE-rifles?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: maral]
      #351573 - 20/03/21 12:50 PM

How does it feel and point when you bring it up with your eyes closed? That's the first and most important criteria. You should open your eyes and be looking right down the sights.

Chapuis can tell you what ammo it was regulated for.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #351575 - 20/03/21 01:29 PM

First never owned one. I have visited the Chapuis factory in France. But reports indicate generally a good cheaper brand of double rifle. As usual some individuals have had problems. Generally positive reports.

I don't know what ammunition it was regulated with. Does the owner know?

When you know and can source some ammunition, I advise trying to get the friend to allow you to shoot it, and see how it performs, regulates etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

maral
.224 member

Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: NitroX]
      #351580 - 20/03/21 07:54 PM

The current owner inherited the rifle from his father. I talked to him last night, and he could tell that his father had been in contact with Chapuis before he passed away. We will probably find a solution on the ammo-issue. The rifle has some Woodleigh bullets, Norma cases, RCBS dies and som reloading data "in its kit". Leupold 1-4 scope in what looks like ERA G9 Scope mounts.. I have shot the rifle before, but will do a proper test shoot before deciding to buy it.

Edited by maral (20/03/21 08:05 PM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#351581 - 20/03/21 10:04 PM

Beautiful background/setting!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: CptCurl]
      #351586 - 21/03/21 01:04 AM

Quote:

Beautiful background/setting!

Curl

Beautiful indeed...

I too have read more favorable than none reports on them...

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: Ripp]
      #351588 - 21/03/21 05:02 AM

Yes indeed - beautiful. Very similar to a 'spring setting' just out of Hazelton, B.C. or closer to Terrace, B.C.
Our countries are beautiful.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: DarylS]
      #351598 - 21/03/21 07:59 AM

Looks an impressive piece of kit there maral!
I hope it works out for you mate.
I would get the serial Number & send off to them to verify details, it would be nice to have the original details from the ledger of the maker on hand.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #351600 - 21/03/21 09:42 AM

Maral,
good choice. Chapuis manufacture nice guns that are well made and reliable. They are by far the most popular brand of new double rifle at the BGRC with a number of members owning several. They seem to be well regulated and accurate. We have a number of double rifle events which get shot regularly so we fire a significant number of rounds each year and the Chapuis have proved to be excellent guns.
I have purchased a Chapuis myself in 9.3x74R which will be my first. Unfortunately due to Covid it has taken much longer to be made than normal but is supposed to arrive in April or may which will be over one year in the making. Apparently they have had several workers pass away due to Covid which has slowed production somewhat and the on again off again lockdowns hasn't helped. They are however contactable and as they are now owned by Beretta you can ask questions through them as well. I did and this worked fine at least for me.

Hope this helps, Matt.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #351602 - 21/03/21 10:51 AM

George Caswell of Champlin has nothing but good things to say about Chapuis. Pretty fair endorsement I'd say.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351603 - 21/03/21 11:28 AM

Quote:

A more than adequate elg/moose rifle!

What part of Norway is this lovely countryside?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #351607 - 21/03/21 11:53 AM

Looking at that photo makes me feel like going into debt...................

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: 500Boswell]
      #351615 - 21/03/21 05:19 PM

Quote:

Looking at that photo makes me feel like going into debt...................

Me too Bos - lovely piece to say the least!
I wonder if there are any agents here in Oz - or do we need to deal direct?

maral
.224 member

Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: 500Boswell]
      #351617 - 21/03/21 05:23 PM

Thanks for the input guys!
The photo was taken in my hunting terrain in Romsdalen, at a driven hunt. The current owner and his wife was visiting for a weekend of deerhunting. Romsdalen is in the northwestern part of Norway. About 25kms from the town Molde. Close to "trollveggen".

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #351622 - 21/03/21 10:42 PM

Quote:

Maral,
good choice. Chapuis manufacture nice guns that are well made and reliable. They are by far the most popular brand of new double rifle at the BGRC with a number of members owning several. They seem to be well regulated and accurate. We have a number of double rifle events which get shot regularly so we fire a significant number of rounds each year and the Chapuis have proved to be excellent guns.
I have purchased a Chapuis myself in 9.3x74R which will be my first. Unfortunately due to Covid it has taken much longer to be made than normal but is supposed to arrive in April or may which will be over one year in the making. Apparently they have had several workers pass away due to Covid which has slowed production somewhat and the on again off again lockdowns hasn't helped. They are however contactable and as they are now owned by Beretta you can ask questions through them as well. I did and this worked fine at least for me.

Hope this helps, Matt.

Matt,

Does Chapuis make their rifles to your specified dimensions?

I think they are quite well-made factory rifles, but like one of the posters above, I have found them generally too high in the comb for me. I get that slap in the face.

I hope you are doing well. I would like to return to the Vic BGRC Little River range at some point. It was good seeing you there. Here I am in August 2018 trying to hear your range commands with my deaf ears!

Cheers Mate,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: CptCurl]
      #351640 - 23/03/21 12:17 AM

Nice looking rifle. I own several Chapuis Double Rifles (plus 2 SxS shotguns) and have never had a problem with any of them.
Robert

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351666 - 24/03/21 12:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input guys!
The photo was taken in my hunting terrain in Romsdalen, at a driven hunt. The current owner and his wife was visiting for a weekend of deerhunting. Romsdalen is in the northwestern part of Norway. About 25kms from the town Molde. Close to "trollveggen".

Thanks for the reply.

A lovely area of Norway. I looked it up on the map. Isee Molde is where that long high bridge is well spanning some islands.

Three times to Norway and never seen much except for Oslo and the area a little to the North inland where I hunted with Erik from these forums. Then over to Sweden for more hunting.

Was the wrong time of the year for a tourist holiday, and always planned to return in a better month with my wife to do a "cruise" up the coast on the ferries getting off and on as appropriate or desired. Haven't seen the fjords other than Oslo Fjord which doesn't really count! The cost of Scandinavia makes a tourist holiday a little more daunting, and a reason for the much delayed return. But one day really want to return and visit friends in Norway and Sweden and see tourist sites.

Really lovely countryside in your image, with the snowy mountains behind. Must be magnificent to hunt with that backdrop in sight much of the time. Thanks for posting that image.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#351667 - 24/03/21 12:12 AM

Maral,

I posted earlier, that generally reports of the Chapuis are good and owners have positve experiences using them.

"Generally". But be aware every now and again owners of brands MAY be dis-satisfied. Often excellent after sales services keeps customers happy. As long as the same rifle doesn't need multiple servicing! Not referring to Chapuis btw.

When I visited the Chapuis factory, one of our NE members was NOT happy with his and also seemed to be having service problems, getting any sort of acceptable response, not sure from the agent or the maker? Asked me to follow up for him. However never provided adequate details so I didn't do so when there in person.

I personally would consider a Chapuis double rifle. I don't particularly like their forends, a little too beavertail for my preference. And say 19/20, probably far less than that expect no problems, and if having a problem would expect quality after sales service.

My point is, I would have a good look at the specific second hand rifle, most definitely shoot it. If it regulates, has not been abused etc, is on face, have a look at fired brass, any issues etc etc. You have covered then many of potential problems a second hand rifle might have. I would see no problem with the rifle at the appropriate price.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

maral
.224 member

#351670 - 24/03/21 01:29 AM

A lovely area of Norway. I looked it up on the map. Isee Molde is where that long high bridge is well spanning some islands.

Three times to Norway and never seen much except for Oslo and the area a little to the North inland where I hunted with Erik from these forums. Then over to Sweden for more hunting.

Was the wrong time of the year for a tourist holiday, and always planned to return in a better month with my wife to do a "cruise" up the coast on the ferries getting off and on as appropriate or desired. Haven't seen the fjords other than Oslo Fjord which doesn't really count! The cost of Scandinavia makes a tourist holiday a little more daunting, and a reason for the much delayed return. But one day really want to return and visit friends in Norway and Sweden and see tourist sites.

Really lovely countryside in your image, with the snowy mountains behind. Must be magnificent to hunt with that backdrop in sight much of the time. Thanks for posting that image.

I live on the island that is connected to the mainland through that bridge To us locals, it is "just a normal view", but I can understand people seeing it for the first time, is getting a bit amazed

Thanks for your thoughts on the Chapuis rifle. I will probably get to do a testshoot during the Easter holyday. The price is quite acceptable, I think.. In the $4000 range, included scope, Rcbs dies, 50 Norma cases and 150 Woodleigh WC bullets.

DarylS
.700 member

#351676 - 24/03/21 03:48 AM

The only trouble with mountains is if you have to climb them.
Hunting the valleys is much more enjoyable.

--------------------
Daryl

maral
.224 member

#351684 - 24/03/21 05:32 AM

What we are missing in the norwegian mountains are wild sheep. Then climbing the steep mountains would be interesting!

Edited by maral (24/03/21 05:33 AM)

.375 member

Reged: 15/02/11
Loc: NT Australia
      #351703 - 24/03/21 09:15 PM

I have a chapius UGEX in 9.3x74 Great rifle and calibre Very light and handy Mine regulates well with woodleighs barnes and ACP's.
Great value for money.....

Edited by 264 (24/03/21 09:20 PM)

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: 264]
      #351723 - 25/03/21 06:40 AM

Great buff there Mick!
Maral, if you get the chance pop down here & give your beast a run on one of Mick's little beauties that he finds every now & then!

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: 93x64mm]
      #351829 - 29/03/21 02:05 AM

Beretta Holding SA acquired the majority of shares from the Chapuis company in 2019; this will probably make international sales much easier by using the well developed Beretta international network.

Maral, if you still need information about which .470 NE ammunition suits best to the Chapuis Brousse, I may ask the company through their website; just ask if required.

Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

maral
.224 member

Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: Louis]
      #352661 - 25/04/21 02:05 PM

Yesterday, I finally got around to testshoot the Chapuis. 4 shots at 50m clinched together at about 2". Did the same exercise twice, once with open sights and once with the scope. The Norma 500gr FMJ ammo gave velocities of 653ms/655ms from right/left barrels. I think me and the french girl will be good friends and go on great adventures together!

Testshoot

I might need some new glasses, though..

Edited by maral (25/04/21 02:11 PM)

maral
.224 member

#353523 - 18/05/21 05:01 AM

Today, the Chapuis is finally mine! The paperwork is done, and I got rid of some hard earned cash.

Since the french girl liked the Norma 500gr FMJ rounds, I will try to duplicate them. The Norma cartridges is loaded with 114gr of Norma MRP-2 powder. As the MRP-2 is not being sold anymore, I will try a load of 106gr MRP. Quickload predicts similar barrel time and pressure curve as the factory cartridges, giving the same velocity of 650-655ms. The first cartridges has been made, and I really can't wait to burn som powder at the range this Saturday!

Edited by maral (19/05/21 03:22 AM)

93x64mm
.416 member

#353527 - 18/05/21 06:16 AM

Well done mate, this one certainly is an heirloom piece to be handed down - nice control when firing too!
Will be great to see your results when you do your reloading tests, please don't forget to add details of your loads etc as this will be great data for the .470 to be saved for future shooters.
Can't wait to see how it all goes.

maral
.224 member

#353688 - 23/05/21 12:05 AM

Satisfaction!
Was at the range today, testing my handloads for the 470NE. I had played around in Quickload to try to find a load for 500gr Woodleigh FMJ and SP. With the FMJ-bullets, I found that 106gr Norma MRP gave a pressure curve and barrel time in the same range as my Norma ammo, loaded with 114gr MRP-2.

Changing to the Weldcore SP-bullets, I had to increase the load to 108gr MRP to get similar results. Both loads should give a velocity of 650m/s. At least in theory ;-)

After testing point of aim for both loads, and shooting over the chronograph, it looked very promising..

After giving the rifle a hour to cool down, while I had coffee with my fellow gunnuts, it was time for the final excam.. 2 softs and 2 solids, shot at 50m, using the 50m-sight.

I don't play golf, but this should be close to a hole in one...

Loads used:

Woodleigh 500gr FMJ, 106gr Norma MRP, Norma cases, Federal 215 primers. COL: 97.5mm Muzzle velocity 652m/s.

Woodleigh 500gr Weldcore SN, 108gr Norma MRP, Norma Cases, Federal 215 primers. COL 97.5mm Muzzle velocity 654m/s.

transvaal
.300 member

Reged: 19/01/13
Loc: South Carolina
      #353689 - 23/05/21 01:33 AM

Maral;

You have done excellent work in developing a load for your DR. Few people, even professionals can do as well as you have done.

I hope you are enjoying all the sunshine there.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Chapuis Brousse 470 NE [Re: transvaal]
      #353692 - 23/05/21 03:10 AM

Excellent indeed. Bit of windage correction is all.
Probably doesn't need it, but I would.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

#353702 - 23/05/21 09:04 PM

Wow that is amazing regulation work & load data there maral.
As far as 'golf' goes - you've made 4 holes in one!
Well done indeed!

maral
.224 member

#353709 - 24/05/21 05:06 AM

Ooops..I had a Zeiss V4 1-4x24 with illuminated reticle at the shelf, and after looking through my "bits and pieces-box" I found som parts to convert the 1" scope rings to 30mm. The Leupold that was on the rifle has gone back to the past owner, and the Zeiss has been mounted. Hopefully this will not affect the regulating of the rifle, but it do look like it belongs on the Chapuis. If everything works as planned, I will sight the scope at 100m, and let the 470 have a swing at som red deer and elg this fall.

DarylS
.700 member

#353710 - 24/05/21 08:35 AM

Ahhh = Stags and Moose!

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#353715 - 24/05/21 02:27 PM

Assuming that is left barrel to the left and right barrel to the right, I wish my doubles had such clear regulation. Well done.

Hopefu;;y the heavier scope doesn't affect the regulation. As a guess, if it does, it might make the two barrels shoot slightly more apart. Speeding up the loads slightly might compensate. Or something else happen. Ha ha.

Once tested with the new scope and if it is regulating OK, I'd love to see a "regulation" target shot with NO scope in place. To see how in your rifle it might be different, or not.

The 1x lower variable setting should be excellent on a big nore rifle. Especially in the brush. And great for largest dangerous game.

Up to 4x excellent for longers, more precise shots, a nice red stag at a 120 metres maybe, that tiny roe buck about to get hit with a 500 gr Woodleigh!!! The moose running by the stand should crumple nicely with such a large projectile, indeed might zip straight through with little expansion.

What reticle does your new scope have?

Thanks for posting.

Quote:

Ooops..I had a Zeiss V4 1-4x24 with illuminated reticle at the shelf, and after looking through my "bits and pieces-box" I found som parts to convert the 1" scope rings to 30mm. The Leupold that was on the rifle has gone back to the past owner, and the Zeiss has been mounted. Hopefully this will not affect the regulating of the rifle, but it do look like it belongs on the Chapuis. If everything works as planned, I will sight the scope at 100m, and let the 470 have a swing at som red deer and elg this fall.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#353716 - 24/05/21 02:35 PM

BTW I am going to borrow this image, as provided for in our terms and conditions on NE (unless the member has asked for this not to be done), to display this wonderful image on the NE page and group on facebook. It is a lovely image, a nice rifle, a spectacular background.

An unusual choice for an elg, but African dangerous game rifles can and should be used sometimes at home, whether as an excellent choice for boar and running boar, medium game such as deer, moose or elg. And here in Oz on excellent practice on our ferals, pigs, goats, donkleys and more.

A lovely image worth using.

I hope this is OK with the member.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

maral
.224 member

#353717 - 24/05/21 02:41 PM

No problem ;-)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#353718 - 24/05/21 02:48 PM

Quote:

The price is quite acceptable, I think.. In the $4000 range, included scope, Rcbs dies, 50 Norma cases and 150 Woodleigh WC bullets.

BTW just looking back to your bridge image the link which has dropped off, that price, WOW! I would buy three at that price! Very well done. Usually second hand Chapuis here go for at least $7000. $8000 or a lot more. Very well done. And a "cheap" way to get into double rifle owning and shooting, with an extremely useful and valued chambering.

Your posts have perhaps made me consider one day a Chapuis in .375 as my future .375 double rifle, I have desired for many years. If scoped it performs like yours, it could become my main hunting rifle for anything medium game where a longer range shot may not be required.

One member on NE had unfortunate results with his Chapuis, same time I was in France. I forget the circumstances. But generally most people I know with them are happy. One or two have had negatives, but sometimes self caused, such as shooting unbanded mono metal solids through their rifles. But generally I think it is a cheaper DR brand which can be purchased with a fair amount of confidence, that it will do what it is supposed to do. I have been put off by the beavertail forend, but perhaps it can grow on me. I certainly will keep my eye out for a suitable pre-owned .375 H&H Mag or preferably a .375 "Mag" Flanged.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Nojden
.275 member

Reged: 07/01/15
Loc: Sweden
      #354720 - 30/06/21 02:00 AM

Beautiful rifle and very nice groupings! Sometimes load work obviously is straight forward....

I have a Chapuis orion O/U 8x57 IRS since about 5 years and feel happy with it. It took me some time to find a good load for both open sights and scope (regulated with norma oryx) but now it regulates with about 1"/50 m with open sights, slightly more with the scope attached. However- when I changed from a zeiss 1.25-4x24 to a Kaps 1-4x22 the regulation got worse and I had to work it out again.

Never had any issues with it and have used it quite a lot for driven hunts on moose, boar, fallow and roe. I believe the quality is close to e.g modern Merkels, albeit different style and feel. The wood work finish is pretty good as well. It's lightweight (3.2 kg) and very handy - whish the foreend was a bit thinner though, as I like tiny foreends, but that's possible to fix anyhow.

Edited by Nojden (30/06/21 02:18 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8283

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com