Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
sourdoughsmitty
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/15
Loc: washington and alaska
pdersoli 45-70 thoughts?
      #338034 - 17/02/20 10:41 AM

I was snooping the auction sites and noticed more than a few pedersoli kodiaks in 45-70 ,just for the sake of curiousity anyone got any thoughts on these ?
thanks smitty

--------------------
n/a

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: sourdoughsmitty]
      #338038 - 17/02/20 12:19 PM

Quote:

I was snooping the auction sites and noticed more than a few pedersoli kodiaks in 45-70 ,just for the sake of curiousity anyone got any thoughts on these ?
thanks smitty

I don't but for a 45-7-, I find these guys interesting..
https://www.wildwestguns.com/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

sourdoughsmitty
.224 member

Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: Ripp]
      #338065 - 17/02/20 10:59 PM

ahh yes wild west guns I stopped in there years ago when they were making the first ever guide gun ,which marlin later took on ,I have a standard wood guide gun and it packs a punch especially in bear country where it is kept handy with buffalo style loads ,which in this shorty will wake you right up

--------------------
n/a

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #338075 - 18/02/20 03:05 AM

The ones that I have handled all had problems, also they didn't shoot to any sort of regulation.

I've heard of guys being happy with theirs - I just haven't seen one without issues.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: tinker]
      #338099 - 18/02/20 10:08 AM

I bought a Pedersoli six months ago. Sent it in for warranty work a month later and have not seen it since. Every time I contact them all I get is excuses. Steer clear.

sourdoughsmitty
.224 member

Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: Wayne59]
      #338104 - 18/02/20 11:46 AM

well there it is the type of dillegence I pursue answers too in my ball game 2 strikes and they are out so I will continue the search thanks again all of you for helping me with this
smitty

--------------------
n/a

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #338108 - 18/02/20 12:22 PM

Quote:

well there it is the type of dillegence I pursue answers too in my ball game 2 strikes and they are out so I will continue the search thanks again all of you for helping me with this
smitty

I talked to a good friend late yesterday --knew he had one at one time.. he was less than impressed..so think your thoughts are correct based on the other comments.. time is to precious to waste on less than desirable products.. IMHO..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: Ripp]
      #338137 - 19/02/20 06:03 AM

I have this Pedersoli. It's a beautifully made rifle. I haven't shot it yet, but my bro has.(I got it from him) The action is super smooth and it's stocked perfectly for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6zRLFY1HM

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: DarylS]
      #338251 - 22/02/20 11:28 PM

I wonder if that Pedersoli Winchester lever action is really made by Uberti? Like the way Taylor does and Colt once did. This gun could be the exception to rule?

I dont care for Pedersoli pretty much across the board. They do have some unique offerings and I may gamble from time to time. I consider it a poor odds crap shoot. The double 45/70 has two rear sights. In general there is some very low taste details on a Pedersoli. That combined with 50/50 at best odds some internal parts not up to par. I used customer service one time. I wont do that again. Buy the gun, take your chances.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: bigboar]
      #338261 - 23/02/20 05:09 AM

I do have a model 1876 in .50/95 that is a Uberti.
I can't post pictures any more.
Mine is virtually identical to this one, except the rear sight is a "proper" ladder sight made by Smith Engineering, in Oregon. This is a good shooting rifle.

https://www.uberti-usa.com/1876-centennial-rifle

--------------------
Daryl

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #338369 - 26/02/20 03:11 AM

Quote:

thanks smitty

I have the 43rd Pedersoli Kodiak 45-70 off the assembly line. When I got mine it would place two shots side by side on the target at 100 yds, using the same sight for both barrels. The loads I was using were hand loads I built for my RUGER NO 1 45-70.
In this case I should have left it alone as it came from the maker. However I didn't I had the chambers re-cut for the wild cat cartridge from RCBS " 458 RCBS" and now it wont keep two shots on the same target at 100 yds now.
Im going to have a pair of barrels mono-blocked in for the 450-400 NE and re-regulated.

My advice is, if you get one that shoots well leave it alone and just enjoy it~

...…...…...……...……...…......……………. duggaboy 1

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #338390 - 26/02/20 01:22 PM

I have owned two of the Pedersoli Kodiak Mk IV double rifles in .45/70. I shot both of them; the first one right much. I found them to be accurate, of good quality for the money, and well-built.

Many years ago I gave a detailed report of my experience with the rifle. Here's the thread:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=35243&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

You will have to scroll on down into the thread. My factual report is near the end. I say "factual" because my report is based on actual fact. It's not based on keyboard knowledge.

Mine had well-regulated barrels and one rear sight. I understand the earlier ones had a sight for each barrel. Not mine.

I still have photos of my first one here, if you want to see what it looked like: http://rbsiii.com/collection/rifles/pedersoli_45_70/

They are good rifles and worth what you pay for them. They are no Purdey or Holland & Holland.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

greenshoots
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
Loc: uk
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: CptCurl]
      #338412 - 27/02/20 02:35 AM

i had one found it a bit heavy for my liking apart from that everything was good after replacing one of the firing pins by pedersolia cmr services aka gloria

greenshoots

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: greenshoots]
      #338413 - 27/02/20 03:48 AM

CptCurl,
Nice looking rifle.
What ammo did you prefer?

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

DarylS
.700 member

Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: crshelton]
      #338414 - 27/02/20 03:59 AM

I agree it does look better than the 12 bores, that's for sure.

--------------------
Daryl

Rhodes
.275 member

Reged: 20/09/11
Loc: NQ, Australia
Re: pdersoli 45-70 thoughts? [Re: DarylS]
      #339274 - 22/03/20 05:57 PM

I've hunted with a Pedersoli Kodiak double chambered for 9.3x74R. It was regulated for the RWS 285gr T-Mantel load. This is a low pressure loading (meant to be 45,000 psi) which I think is sympathetic to the action on these rifles. With the 22" barrels it chronographed at 2220 fps over my chrony, which matched what Quickload predicted. As a comparison, the original 9.3x62 Mauser loading in Africa was 285gr @ 2175fps back in Taylor's time, which was popular for most game in Africa before the Germans stepped it up to 2350fps. So the Kodiak double in 9.3x74R is a bit better than the original 9.3x62 Mauser loading.

This rifle had 3 folding leaf sights for 100 / 200 / 300 yards, so one sight for both barrels. I only ever used the 100 yard sight. The spring wire that the folding leaf hinged on kept working loose and the leaf would fall off. I eventually lost the rear leaf.

The balance was wrong on this rifle in my opinion. The barrels were thick and it was barrel heavy making it uncomfortable to carry on a long hunt, as opposed to having the weight "between the hands" for quick handling and balance. The plus side of being barrel heavy was that it was rock solid while aiming. If you were fatigued from a long hunt or you had to chase and your heart was pounding and you were breathing heavy, the rifle would come to your shoulder and your eye's would be over the sights and it would sit on target until you squeezed off the shot, whether you had a stationary target or you were swing the barrels on running game.

I used it for stalking Wild Boar. The first and longest shot I ever took with it was a running Boar at 100 yards. The closest shot was at 10 yards after stalking through an acacia forest on my hands and knees. In that case the hammers were a bonus, when in position they allowed me to silently cock the double before firing. There were other times while stalking through thick stuff with both hammers back ready for a quick shot that the lack of safety bothered me a little.

It was always the first gun I reached for on a hunt. I will admit though that by the fourth or fifth day I would be sick of carrying it and would grab my light weight, 375 Win Lever Gun.

Just my opinion's, hope it helps.

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
      #339636 - 01/04/20 06:16 AM

Quote:

smitty

Hello sourdoughsmitty,

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss buying a Pedersoli double rifle. I have owned FIVE of them over the years. I had a muzzle loader in 54 cal., a muzzle loader in 72 cal., one in 9.3x74R, and two in 45-70. All had very good quality and all were reasonably priced.

And ... ALL SHOT GREAT. Both of the 45-70s shot to point of aim and grouped under 2-1/2" at 50 yds.

If you email Pedersoli and give them the serial number, they will send you a copy of the regulation target.

I still have the 72 cal. and one in the 45-70 cal. I wouldn't hesitate to take either hunting.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5393

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com