Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 375 Flanged Magnum Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies


*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
sauerdb
.224 member


Reged: 09/12/13
Posts: 12
Loc: Atlanta, GA
375 Flanged Magnum Double
      #307239 - 05/11/17 04:54 AM

I've been considering going for a 375 FL Magnum double and am looking for some input. Most rifle I've seen in this calibre are lumped together with 400->500 NE by their makers. Does anyone know if there are 375s being made on smaller frames sized to this cartridge?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 26867
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: sauerdb]
      #307243 - 05/11/17 05:30 AM

Off my head I can't name which. But yes the .375 Flanged Magnum is often a dividing line between larger framed DRs and medium ones. So sometimes it should be able to be found on smaller actions. Other times on the heavier action.

Some makers will draw the line at the 9.3x74R. And anything above on a heavier action.

Heym is a maker which has a lot of action sizes. At one time if I remember rightly, eight different action sizes.

A smaller framed .375 Fl mag DR would make a handy DR.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.333 member


Reged: 25/09/13
Posts: 489
Loc: Canada
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: NitroX]
      #307255 - 05/11/17 10:10 AM

I had my 88B Safari sidelock made with .450NE barrels with a second set made for it in 375 flanged. I am very smitten with both barrel sets and love the handling of this bespok beauty.

I would love to someday get a Heym box lock on a lighter frame with a 24Ē barrel set in .375 flanged. Getting a Heym box lock in a 8 1/2 pound double would be a really marvellous shooter and wonderful to carry. As has been stated, they do offer several action sizes.

Give the Heym people a call and discuss the art of the possible.

Edited by Postman (05/11/17 10:12 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwanabobftw
.300 member


Reged: 29/12/04
Posts: 209
Loc: Texas
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: Postman]
      #307260 - 05/11/17 12:46 PM

I have a Chapuis in .375 Flange. It's a "medium" size action. Very nice handling rifle !!!!!!!!
Robert


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aaron_Little
.275 member


Reged: 25/09/13
Posts: 60
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #307281 - 05/11/17 10:16 PM

I'll be introducing a round action trigger plate gun in the next year or two here in the US! First three will be .375.

--------------------
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HeymSR20
.275 member


Reged: 23/11/11
Posts: 99
Loc: Scotland
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: Aaron_Little]
      #307741 - 14/11/17 09:03 AM

Just a slightly off topic question - is there any real world difference between a 9.3x74r and flanged 375, or will they do pretty much the same job, and if you need bigger go straight to 400, 450 or 470.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 26867
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: HeymSR20]
      #307757 - 14/11/17 06:24 PM

Quote:

Just a slightly off topic question - is there any real world difference between a 9.3x74r and flanged 375, or will they do pretty much the same job, and if you need bigger go straight to 400, 450 or 470.




Yes there is a real world difference. Legal minimum in some African countries for some big game animals is .375.

Also IMO a 9.3x74R is weaker than a .375 H&H Magnum by a significant bit. Judging by recoil alone. At the hitting end, never been at that end! Animals die by both. I have both of these. I do not have currently a .375 Flanged Magnum and per the books, it is loaded lesser than the .375 H&H Magnum.

Now if someone wants a gutsy .375, get a Veryney-Carron DR chambered in .375 Verney-Carron. I would be tempted to get one, but it is powerful and it would be a choice between a gutsy fast .375 Verney-Carron vs a .375 Flanged Magnum in a lighter more handy DR. Which would also be less brutal on medium game.

My attitude with gutsy calibres ie high velocity for calibre, is in a big bore, instead go to the next calibre sizes up. Eg why both with a cracker fast .450, go for a .500 instead. But a .375 is often thought of as a dividing line between smaller/medium bores and big bores.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.333 member


Reged: 25/09/13
Posts: 489
Loc: Canada
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: NitroX]
      #307771 - 14/11/17 10:30 PM

My .375 FL Mag double with 26Ē barrels shooting 300 grain TSX clocks in at a little over 2400 FPS, one barrel is slightly faster than the other, but average speed between both is around 2425 FPS.

My .375 belted mag Sako Kodak 20 inch barrel shooting the same 300 grain TSX clocks in right around the same speed as the double rifle......

With either rifle, the game animals expire nicely and Iím sure canít tell which rifle type did them in..... equal opportunity killers they are!

If you have a bolt rifle with a longer barrel, youíll likely get 100 FPS faster velocity out of it, but it wonít make a whole lot of difference to the game.

The 9.3 x 74R I have is also an effective killer at an extremely similar 2450 FPS, but the bullets Iím shooting in it are lighter by 50 grains and obviously the bullets have a slightly smaller cross sectional size. Animals expire nicely with this cartridge too.

My feeling is that the .375 fl mag or the 375 H&H is definitely more of a good thing than the 9.3x74R. If recoil is any indicator, the 9.3x74R is certainly not as snappy as either .375.

For even the largest plains game, any one of the 375 or 9.3 x 74R will work very nicely! For DG the 375s are certainly legal, but just maybe one might want to step up to something a little larger, ie, .400+ caliber for the extra margin of safety.

So, .375 fl mag or 9.3x74R? Is ammo availability a concern? Does one hand load? Does one travel to remote locations where lost ammo is a show stopper? Will one need to meet minimum DG caliber restrictions?

And finally: What makes YOU happy?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member


Reged: 25/12/02
Posts: 26867
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: Postman]
      #307812 - 15/11/17 10:58 PM

Quote:

My .375 FL Mag double with 26Ē barrels shooting 300 grain TSX clocks in at a little over 2400 FPS, one barrel is slightly faster than the other, but average speed between both is around 2425 FPS.

My .375 belted mag Sako Kodak 20 inch barrel shooting the same 300 grain TSX clocks in right around the same speed as the double rifle......

With either rifle, the game animals expire nicely and Iím sure canít tell which rifle type did them in..... equal opportunity killers they are!

If you have a bolt rifle with a longer barrel, youíll likely get 100 FPS faster velocity out of it, but it wonít make a whole lot of difference to the game.

The 9.3 x 74R I have is also an effective killer at an extremely similar 2450 FPS, but the bullets Iím shooting in it are lighter by 50 grains and obviously the bullets have a slightly smaller cross sectional size. Animals expire nicely with this cartridge too.

My feeling is that the .375 fl mag or the 375 H&H is definitely more of a good thing than the 9.3x74R. If recoil is any indicator, the 9.3x74R is certainly not as snappy as either .375.

For even the largest plains game, any one of the 375 or 9.3 x 74R will work very nicely! For DG the 375s are certainly legal, but just maybe one might want to step up to something a little larger, ie, .400+ caliber for the extra margin of safety.

So, .375 fl mag or 9.3x74R? Is ammo availability a concern? Does one hand load? Does one travel to remote locations where lost ammo is a show stopper? Will one need to meet minimum DG caliber restrictions?

And finally: What makes YOU happy?




Interesting on the velocities.

My .375 H&H Mag has quite a short barrel. And when I set up handloads, I couldn't get the 'ideal' powder so made do. When I got a decent very accurate load, I used that. Planning to fine tune it later after the hunt. Never have. I have mentioned the velocity on NE in the past. Haven't chronographed it for a long time, so a guess from memory the velicty was around 2350 fps for 300 grs. I have read many .375 users report on the net getting 2600 to 2650 fps from the 300 gr bullets. (?)

My theoretical underatanding was the Flanged version was around the 2300 to 2400 fps velocity level with 300 grs.

My 9.3x74R is doing about 2170 fps for a 287 gr projectile. Probably could push them faster if I wished. For a loss in accuracy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

...
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
008
.224 member


Reged: 25/03/17
Posts: 30
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: NitroX]
      #307827 - 16/11/17 12:58 PM

Interesting. Just got a few boxes of Federals with A frame bullets in 9.3x74R that say theyíre 2360 at muzzle with 286 grains.

Have some custom loads on the way with 286 TSX loaded that are 2400.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.333 member


Reged: 25/09/13
Posts: 489
Loc: Canada
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: 008]
      #307839 - 16/11/17 10:06 PM

Quote:

Interesting. Just got a few boxes of Federals with A frame bullets in 9.3x74R that say theyíre 2360 at muzzle with 286 grains.

Have some custom loads on the way with 286 TSX loaded that are 2400.




My 9.3x74R digests 250 TSX and regulates beautifully with these. The Merkel factory target that came with the rifle shows a single hole 2 barrel grouping but no matter how hard I tried, I couldnít duplicate the regulation of the factory load of 286 grain bullets, but I did find redemption using the 250 grain Barnes bullets.

A byproduct of me loading the lighter bullets to achieve excellent regulation was higher velocity. My goal was not velocity and I was squarely focused on achieving regulation.

I donít believe that a small variance in velocity either up or down will make a huge difference in game getter effectiveness of a given cartridge for a given game species. Shot placement and sufficient bullet weight and construction for good penetration and reasonable bullet expansion are key factors in my view. With double rifles, I believe achieving regulation is the first order of business, and hopefully one can do this with bullets suited for the game intended using a load that falls within the required performance envelope.

Edited by Postman (17/11/17 10:22 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
008
.224 member


Reged: 25/03/17
Posts: 30
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: Postman]
      #307844 - 17/11/17 12:08 AM

Agreed

I bought three different types of ammo to try out. My rifle just landed in the states and will hopefully be at my FFL on Saturday. The importer said the test target looked great and was regulated with 286grns but no brand or velocity. So Iím going to try a few and see how it shoots.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rockdoc
.375 member


Reged: 07/12/06
Posts: 918
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: 375 Flanged Magnum Double [Re: 008]
      #307903 - 18/11/17 09:23 AM

I have a 375Flanged Mag double, a spare set of barrels made in the 1950ís by H&H for my pre-war(1) 500/450 3 1/4Ē.

Regulates around 2400fps with the Woodleigh 300gr SN RN. Very mild to shoot, the extra weight of larger frame of course, it fits too!

My 375 Belted Mag magazine Rifles are around 2600fps.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1



Extra information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl, 4seventy, mickey 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 597

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com

Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.5


Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact


Copyright 2003 to 2011 - all rights reserved