Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 333 jeffery handloads?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bluedevil
.224 member

Reged: 02/12/04
333 jeffery handloads?
      #28994 - 06/04/05 02:36 PM

Hi Guys,I'm trying to work up a load for a .333 Jeffery rimmed Nitro Express double. It is a bottlenecked cartridge, similar in configuration and case capacity to the old .348 Winchester. I'm using Bertram brass and the 250-grain Woodleigh softpoint (the rifle was regulated for this weight, it is stated on the barrels -- the magazine rifles in 333 rimless often used 300-grainers). Does anyone load for this cartridge or have any info? Should I try R15 or would IMR 4831 be a better starting powder given the dimesnions of the case? Thanks and by the way, I've learned more from reading your threads than from anyone on my side of the ocean in the US. Keep up all the good work. Yours truly, Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 333 jeffery handloads? [Re: bluedevil]
      #28999 - 06/04/05 05:53 PM

The one I played with for a while was regulated for the 300-grain bullet over 42gr cordite. Had an option to buy, but passed it up: bores were stuffed and it wouldn't shoot. I will look up the load I used, probably ADI powder, but it won't help you much for the 250-grainer.

Its a pity Graeme Wright is silent on this cartridge, he even recommends a modern load for the .369 Purdey (!) but misses the .333 altogether.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

bluedevil
.224 member

Reged: 02/12/04
Re: 333 jeffery handloads? [Re: Marrakai]
      #29021 - 07/04/05 12:55 AM

Thanks Maraki,
My Jeffery is proof marked exactly as the one you examined was, 42 Max with 300 grain bullet. However, from my understanding the proof load was not the load the rifle was regulated for in the case of most 333 doubles. The barrels of my rifle are engraved with "250 grain bullet." This makes it harder to extrapolate a load using the proof marks on the rifle as a starting point. A quandry, for there seems to be absolutely no reloading data for this cartridge, which in fact was a popular cartridge. Any help anyone? There are a lot of 333 doubles out there somewhere. Look on this as a challenge. Thanks, Keith

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1594

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com