Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: TPI, CPU, PSI

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
TPI, CPU, PSI
      #28148 - 22/03/05 05:57 PM

I know that Graeme Wright says that tpi and cup are not directly comparable, could anyone tell me what that means? Does it simply mean that the relationship is non linear?

Can anyone give me some approximate equivalences eg 14tpi, 18tpi, 18tpi, 30,000cup, 35,000cup 40,000cup and 50,000cup?

thanks,

mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tom_Bigbore
.224 member

Reged: 16/01/04
Loc: Germany
Re: TPI, CPU, PSI [Re: AussieMike]
      #28156 - 22/03/05 10:27 PM

Mike,
It is not that there is a difference in conversion of pressure units. The problem is a difference in the method of measuring. tpi means that the pressure has been measured with a copper ring at the base of the cartridge. Then cartridges have been tested with a copper piston at the side of the shell. When you measure the same cartridge this way, it does not show the same pressure. The difference is not linear or a fix data, but depends on a lot of influencies. It is around 17%. (plus/minus.. to give you an idea)

Nowadays, at least in Europe and other CIP countries, the cartridges are tested at the side with a piezo element. The piezo element shows higher peak pressure at the same cartridge as it works “mass free”. Therefor some pressure data given for a cartridge have changed. This change is only related to the method of measuring and does not change the real pressure inside the cartridge.
So here you find our problem. You can not be 100% sure that a load developed today is within the pressure limites for an old gun with data given in tpi. You just cannot measure it the same way. (or do it the cheap ;-) way as Graeme did)

Hope that helps
Tom

KWK
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Illinois
      #28273 - 25/03/05 12:16 AM

The units for tpi are long tons (2240 lb) per square inch. It was used (only?) by the British gun industry. As TB said, the crusher was a copper ring placed at the base of the cartridge. The case was well oiled on the outside so that the case could more readily slide back, acting as a piston. The crusher ideally measured the thrust of the case backwards, and this thrust divided by the OD area of the case was used to estimate the pressure driving it back.

In the US, the "radial crusher" is used. The piston is on the side of the case. The cylinder is fixed in diameter, and the crusher deformation is calibrated with psi by the manufacturer of the crushers.

Under the CIP, I believe the radial crusher is placed in front of the case mouth. This would eliminate the problem of having to blow the case wall out to move the crusher, but the pressure is obviously a bit lower at the mouth than at the base. In comparing CIP crusher data (converted to psi) to SAAMI CUP/psi, the CIP numbers will be found to be about 1000 psi higher. I don't know if this means the European stuff is hotter or if the two methods of estimating pressure are typically that much off.

All three systems are mechanical and cannot respond fast enough to the rapidly changing pressures inside the chamber. Both indicate pressures well below true in cartridges like the .30-06.

The tpi and CUP cannot be "directly" compared because the amount that indicated is below true is different with each. I don't think anyone has identified all the various reasons each is low. The assumption there is no case "cling" with the oiled case in the base crusher seems iffy to me.

Anyway, to answer your question, you probably can convert between the two, but I don't have enough data on hand estimate how tpi relates to psi. CUP can be converted to psi with reasonable accuracy. Grab a SAAMI reference manual and plot CPU vs psi for the various cartridges and you can see a definite trend. A mathematically inclined fellow who works with RSI, the maker of the strain gauge rig for handloaders, believes much of the scatter in the plot of CUP vs psi is attributable to the random errors in measurement that both CUP and piezo suffer. If you can find enough data where tpi and psi were measured on the same loads, you could make a such a plot to estimate the conversion.

This fellow went on to show that the CIP actually uses a simple, straight line conversion formula to convert their crusher ratings to piezo ratings. The conversion is not exact, of course, but it was close enough to satisfy the CIP. My guess is the conversion is accurate to about 10%, well within the margin of safety of the typical gun.

An article in the 4/1967 American Rifleman gives details on the base crusher method. It was stated that the "psi" indicated by base crushers are lower than with the radial crushers. In other words, 15 tpi would be 33,600 psi indicated, but the CUP method might indicate 36,000 psi for the same load, and piezo might read 39,000 psi. (These numbers are made up; they did not come from the article.)

So many words spilled, yet no answer...

Edited by KWK (25/03/05 11:29 PM)

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: TPI, CPU, PSI [Re: KWK]
      #28677 - 31/03/05 09:50 AM

In preparing tarage tables a dead weight or constant force is applied to the crusher.

When firing, the pressure is very brief. At the pressures involved the crusher behaves a fluid, but a very viscous fluid, it takes time to deform. Since the peak pressure is so brief, the crusher does not have time to deform to the extent that it does under static prssure.

This is the main reason for the CUP reading being lower than a piezo reading. There are also other errors do to various causes but that is the principle error.

KWK
.275 member

Re: TPI, CPU, PSI [Re: unspellable]
      #28705 - 31/03/05 10:44 PM

In reply to:

but that is the principle error

Agreed.

What's your take on the SAAMI spec's for the .357. It's 45,000 psi(crusher) or 35,000 psi(piezo). My guess is they just decided to de-rate the cartridge, for whatever reason. From some limited load book data, it appears that loads developed in CUP outperform those in piezo, suggesting that 45,000 CUP is indeed more pressure than 35,000 psi.

unspellable
.300 member

#28706 - 31/03/05 11:28 PM

I hadn't noticed the inverted numbers for the 357. I'll have to look into it.

KWK
.275 member

#28756 - 01/04/05 07:09 PM

In reply to:

In preparing tarage tables a dead weight or constant force is applied to the crusher.

Is this true for the SAAMI crushers? William Davis's article in the old NRA Handloading mentions crushers for the military are so calibrated, but that old American Rifleman article on base crushers hinted the tarage for that system included a fudge factor to try to get a better estimate of peak pressure. It was known in the 1800s that crushers underestimated the true peak.

unspellable
.300 member

#28848 - 03/04/05 03:22 AM

If you simply add a fudge factor it doesn't change the fact that you are calibrating the crusher with a static force. You can convert crusher pressures to piezo pressures with a fudge factor but the resulting answers aren't worth much.

KWK
.275 member

#28864 - 03/04/05 11:21 AM

That may depend on whether the fudge factor is a simple constant or some non-linear function derived from experimental data. It would be fun to talk for an hour with the technical director at SAAMI to learn about how things such as pressure rise rates, breadth of the pressure peak, etc. affect the error in CUP. I can't prove it, but I have a hunch that a corrected tarage table (one based on comparisons to piezo data) could get you to within 15% of true. Unfortunately, I also suspect the correction could vary with things like SD and relative case volume.

With the advent of cheap stain gauge rigs for handloaders, the whole issue seems to be moot, even if it is interesting.

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #28907 - 04/04/05 06:15 PM

Thanks everyone, the above has answered my questions. Could anyone tell me where to get one of the "affordable" piezzo strain gauge systems? Are they imported into Oz? If not, I can't imagine there would be any problem importing one? Can they be used on doubles - I'd just love to know that I'm not going above factory pressures.

Thanks again.

mike

KWK
.275 member

#28920 - 05/04/05 12:06 AM

I'm not aware of an affordable piezo set-up. Oehler sells them, but the cost is surely in the 1000's.

The least expensive strain gauge system is likely RSI's, which has a decent reputation. The cost is now about U$250. I've seen some claims made for it that I'm suspicious about, but I still want to own one myself some day, when I have enough time to play with it.

I've seen arguments these strain gauge rigs could be subject to calibration and various other errors. I believe that if you take care in fixing the gauge to the barrel, there will be little trouble.

They can be used on any gun, but the ability to get an accurate estimate of pressure requires either the barrel be round over the chamber (I don't think that's the case with most doubles) or that you run a stress analysis of this region of the barrel to see how strain varies with pressure (a not so trivial proposition). If you have some money to burn (you own a double?), find a friend with a T/C Encore and have a nice round barrel made for it, chambered for your favorite NE cartridge.

Keep in mind you really don't need to know exactly what the pressure is. You're only concerned with keeping the pressure as low as possible for a given performance. As long as you can get the relative pressure ("does this powder give more or give less pressure for this fps") you can home in on the best powder for the job. The strain gauge rig will also show you if there's inconsistent ignition from one cartridge to the next. This might lead you to another powder, or to a filler. Couple the strain gauge with a simulator such as QuickLoad (to estimate starting loads and powder selection), and I don't think you'll hurt yourself.

Lastly, if you're not afraid of electronics and have access to a storage scope, you can probably make an adequate strain gauge unit at home.

unspellable
.300 member

#28923 - 05/04/05 03:40 AM

NOW I understand why there are Contender barrels chambered for the old DR cartridges!

Always wondered why any body would want to shoot not so cheap DR cartridges out of a pistol that can handle any other cheaper and simpler cartridge with the same ballistics.

KWK
.275 member

#28941 - 05/04/05 11:54 AM

Well, I must say there is something satisfying about a .400 Jeffery that the smaller cases don't provide. I guess it just looks like it ought to be effective. Maybe it's all just nostalgia.

Of course, the bigger case usually means lower pressures as well, and that's not bad for a break open single. I've never seen a T/C for a DR cartridge, but if I owned an Encore instead of my Contender, I could be tempted.

unspellable
.300 member

#28964 - 05/04/05 10:46 PM

We are all loonies. There are days when I wish I had a revolver chambered for the 7.65 mm Parabellum. (30 Luger)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3127

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com