Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: DR trigger pull weight?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
DR trigger pull weight?
      #246138 - 22/04/14 02:06 AM

I have a plains game trip coming up in June and I've been trying to get proficient with my Chapuis 9.3x74r with a Leupold 1-6x scope. The rifle is reasonably accurate. 4 shot groups at 2 inches at 100 yards from the bench but off of the sticks I'm struggling a bit. The triggers on this rifle are clean and crisp but pretty close to 4.5 lbs. My bolt guns are set up for 2.5-3 lbs and I'm finding it hard to be consistently accurate off of the sticks.

Can and should the triggers be adjusted down to 3-3.5 lbs? I kind of remember reading about a single set trigger as the front trigger, is this common? Is it possible as a modification once the rifle has left the factory?

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ruffcountry
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: DR trigger pull weight? [Re: Rell]
      #246567 - 28/04/14 04:26 AM

I had the triggers on my sabatti 9.3x74 adjusted down to about 3.5 lbs .if yours are crisp at 4.5 lbs im not sure I would mess with them , mine were quite a bit heavier than that .the man that did mine made it look easy but it is not anything like adjusting the trigger on a bolt rifle and should only be done by someone who knows what they are doing as it involves filing the sear .

I read in several places that doubles are commonly set with one trigger lighter than the other with the idea the lighter trigger is to be pulled first and the heavier second trigger helps prevent doubling . the old smith that did mine insisted that both triggers could be set the same and it has worked fine for me for several years now . in heavier calibers with more recoil the chance of doubling is probaly greater if both triggers are the same light pull unless you have a rifle with a intercepting sear .

I don't know anything about your chapuis or how its action works but your triggers probably could be tuned by a competent smith . I will say again that I would be comfortable hunting with a gun that had a crisp 4.5 lb trigger . others here are much more knowledgable than I and could explain all this better .

good luck on your hunt!

--------------------
Double Rifle Shooters Society

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1538

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com