Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: LOP, how is it measured?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
BB416
.275 member

Reged: 01/10/13
Loc: QLD Australia
LOP, how is it measured?
      #239144 - 11/12/13 11:56 PM

Was wondering how the length of pull is measured on a double rifle or shotgun for that matter, with double triggers? Is it measured from the front trigger or the rear trigger or from between the two to the butt of the stock? I am quite aware of how it is measured with a single trigger, but lost when it comes to a double trigger

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: LOP, how is it measured? [Re: BB416]
      #239147 - 12/12/13 12:02 AM

from the centre of the front trigger to the centre of the butt of the stock - ie - in a straight line.

One easy way is tie a small piece of cotton to the front trigger, slide it up to the centre (of the curve) and then
run it back to the butt.

And then of course measure it.

BB416
.275 member

Re: LOP, how is it measured? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #239150 - 12/12/13 12:15 AM

Soo... should I have the stock cut to the same length of pull as my bolt action rifle or the same length as my u/o shotgun that I shoot clay targets with?? Or none of the above. Both the shotgun and rifle are different lengths of pull and yet are comfortable and seem to "fit" me well and I shoot them both quite well. Both come to the shoulder well without having to shift my head forward or back, to obtain a good sight picture and I don't feel that I am stretching to reach the trigger

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: LOP, how is it measured? [Re: BB416]
      #239151 - 12/12/13 01:37 AM

Different stock styles usually require different lengths of pull. ie: high combs usually mean straighter stocks, less drop at the heel and thus require shorter stocks, while more drop at the comb and heal such as European designed stocks, with heads-up aiming, typically require longer lengths of pull.
Where you place the butt plate also comes into it. Some pocket the butt plate inside the shoulder 'cup' on the deltoids, where it should be, while others seem more comfortable with the butt well out on the shoulder joint or even arm with cupped butt plates, typical of lever guns or muzzleloaders- thus requiring even longer lengths of pull.

Shotguns usually have longer pulls (more drop) than rifles due to the on-the-barrels aiming- similar to European iron sighted rifle stocks.

Guess it boils down to what suits you - but - just because one type or style of gun you have has a particular length of pull, does not mean another different gun and style will 'fit' with the same length of pull. Best to try a few and decide from that.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: LOP, how is it measured? [Re: DarylS]
      #239160 - 12/12/13 05:00 AM

BB

As Daryl said, "Different stock styles usually require different lengths of pull."

I am not experienced enough to give advice, would suggest you visit a stocker or gunsmith who knows his stuff.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #239167 - 12/12/13 07:36 AM

I believe to do it properly you have to have it fitted. Different people are fatter in different parts of the shoulder, lengths and heights of body dimensions differ for different stock designs. There are many different easy cut methods as described by 500Nitro.

A shotgun stockist should have an fully adjustable 'trial' stock but this may not suit a centrefire. I don't know. The stocker would also have to know what he was doing. Being Oz they would be thin on the ground however I have heard of one in Western Sydney.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: LOP, how is it measured? [Re: tophet1]
      #239168 - 12/12/13 07:53 AM

Measuring the LOP is the easy part. As has been said, that is only one part of the fitting of a stock.

When you shoot a whole range of different guns, you do learn to "accommodate" various different stock shapes "up to a point". This is easier done with Rifle than shotguns.

BB416
.275 member

#239170 - 12/12/13 08:54 AM

Thanks guys, that has really cleared it up, but there is some really good advice here
Regards
BB

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3945

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com