Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica
      #22890 - 31/12/04 02:27 AM

All:

I was perusing gunsamerica.com the other day and saw a Searcy .700 Nitro Express boxlock for sale for $US 35,000.00. I thought that someone might find that information useful. Here is a link to it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976473654.htm

(Just to note, I am in now way associated with the seller or the website.)

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica [Re: clark7781]
      #22897 - 31/12/04 05:22 AM

Looks like old Stevie boy is selling his 700NE Butch made for him last year, to pay for that elephant hunt he went on, no doubt.

I will say this rifle has only been used to work up some loads, and to shoot one elephant! I know Searcy is building him a 577NE now, so maybe that is why he is selling the 700NE.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #22903 - 31/12/04 06:06 AM

Yep, went to all that trouble to buy that monster and take it on one hunt. . .I bet ya know you touched one off when ya pull the trigger too!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

JefferyDenmark
.300 member

Reged: 10/06/04
Loc: The Kingdom of Denmark
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica [Re: Rusty]
      #22904 - 31/12/04 06:12 AM

it should not be a problem selling a lefty .700 NE

Most people with that kind of money have no problem raising thre last 10.000-15.000 or buying a H&H

Cheers,

André

--------------------
Always always use enough ... GUN

AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica [Re: JefferyDenmark]
      #22972 - 31/12/04 02:55 PM

If I had a rifle made up for the hunt of a lifetime and took a trophy elephant I'd want to keep the rifle to "jerk off" over for the rest of my life.

I've still got the rifles I took my first head of each type of game with, from rabbit to Cape Buffalo, with the exception of the BAR 270 I took my first pig with - I had to hand that in during the gun confiscation (euphemistically termed "the buy back" by the government).

mike

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: clark7781]
      #22975 - 31/12/04 03:01 PM

I do not see it having ANY re-sale value without making a substantial loss.

As the rifle maker is around why wouldn't a new buyer just get his own made to order on a custom basis?

And for $35,000 I think I could find a really nice vintage double in a much more useful calibre.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: NitroX]
      #23007 - 31/12/04 10:53 PM

As I understand it, the same rifle new today would run $50K. However, if the purchaser is right handed, he would have to get the gun restocked before it would be useful.

Obviously a .700 appeals to only a small segment of even the DG crowd.

JefferyDenmark
.300 member

Reged: 10/06/04
Loc: The Kingdom of Denmark
      #23008 - 31/12/04 11:09 PM

Nitrox

I am with you all the way with the vintage double.
Drake has a nice selection and one could always try to make a deal with them.

They have a nice Army and Navy .600 NE for 45,000 $ and I think that if you slaped them over the nose with a boundle of 1000 $ bills they would come around. and sel the rifle for 40,000 $
http://www.drake.net/html/vintagerifle.html

Cheers,

André

--------------------
Always always use enough ... GUN

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: 500grains]
      #23015 - 31/12/04 11:50 PM

500grains

So I was right!

Sort of like trying to sell a new house in a development area with lots of vacant blocks. Why, when you can build your own.

For $50,000 the choices really do open up but .700 NE's wouldn't be very common. The standard model Searcy at $9G is much better value IMO, but I would buy it to use - for life.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #23020 - 01/01/05 12:17 AM

On the .700 NE theme, consider this:

At the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show two or three years ago, Holland & Holland had a .700 NE double on display. The attendant graciously allowed me to handle it. (Mind you - "handle it" is a relative term, at almost 20 lbs.)

I admired it, noticing it showed some evidence of use. There was no price tag, so I asked. The reply, "This rifle is not for sale. It is owned by the company and used for promotional purposes."

As the conversation went on, I learned that the rifle had been to Africa several times with well-heeled clients, and had taken its share of dangerous game. I also was told that at that time there were nine H&H rifles in .700 NE in existence and two in production.

Still curious about the value, I then asked what would be the price to order one up. I was told, dead seriously, "A rifle conforming to the general specifications of the rifle You are holding would now be well in excess of $250,000 USD."

As my knees went weak with the realization that I had a quarter million in my hands, I carefully handed the rifle back and thanked him for allowing me to handle it. I have no doubt that was the most monetary wealth I have ever held in these two hands!

Heaven knows what one would be now, with the weak USD.

Cheers,
CptCurl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica [Re: JefferyDenmark]
      #23034 - 01/01/05 02:23 AM

Andre, I'd like to know where one could buy a .700NE double rifle from H&H for $50K US? I don't think so!

There are a few .600NEs around, with all names on them, but I don't think you will find more than one or two that are for sale, made by anyone. and I doubt there is another .700NE for sale today! If you want a .700NE double this may be the only one available. Searcy can re-stock, and reverse the triggers, for a lot less than $250,000 US. for a H&H, and I assure you you will never shoot either of them enough to shoot them loose! Ballance is word that doesn't belong in the same sentence with "700NE"! Tripod, or wheels would be more fitting words.

Personally I cannot understand why anyone would want a .600NE, much less a .700NE! I consider the 577NE to be the largest double rifle that is useful in any way, and a 500NE makes much more sense, than any of them! IMO, the 600NE, and 700NEs doubles are, "look at me, ego boosters" for folks who have a bank account, that is almost as big as their need to be noticed!

In any event the $35K is a bargain, to someone with that much ego, and money!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #23042 - 01/01/05 02:52 AM

I can get a bit testy when I hear of some fat butter soft, pink cheeked, billionaire taking a 20 lb. rifle to Africa to shoot some poor old elephant..Letting some poor dumb black pack that beast of a gun for him, set up his bloody shooting sticks for him, and all the sorry bastard has to do is pull the trigger and say "look what I've done, killed an elephant with my $50,000 700 or 800 N.E."

Now I could really tell you how I feel, but I will spare your that rant and rave for another day which I am sure you will appreciate!

Lets do our elephant hunting the real way, pack our 10 lb. 470, walk 20 miles a day until we find a real bull, and shoot him at 10 yards off hand...

Now if fatty can pack that 20 lb. gun himself and shoot the elephant like it should be done, then I will apoligize to him or her, and give them an hour to draw a crowd...

Morten
.275 member

Reged: 24/04/04
Loc: Ås, Norway
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamerica [Re: atkinson6]
      #23044 - 01/01/05 03:15 AM

When we are talking about expencive guns here is one. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976324402.htm
395000$ for this Purdey 600. It is actually Cicile Flohiment that have done the egravings and not grifnee as said. A friend of mine have handeld it and of course it ballanced as a Purdey should. it is heavy but easy to the shoulder. I have also sen and handled Purdey S/S and O/U at respective 160 and 180000£ That was something. That O/U was engraved in deep rococco style by browns.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #23085 - 01/01/05 02:19 PM

In reply to:

I'd like to know where one could buy a .700NE double rifle from H&H for $50K US? I don't think so!

I said something like that. I should qualify my thinking, as I wasn't even thinking of a .700 NE which is something I never even want to own. Like you I would stop at a .577 NE or if I got punch drunk a .600 NE. As for $50,000 or $250,000, I expect to get one for around $10,000 but it won't have a fancy name, neither will I worry about getting it scratched.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AussieMike
.300 member

#23088 - 01/01/05 03:07 PM

I'm surprised at the focus on weight - after all, lots of middle aged men (including me, prior to my accident) go on long back packing trips, in the Australian heat, carrying 20kg (44lb) backpacks for a week at a time and survive.

I just got a set of scales which will let me weigh my rifles and it's been quite an eye opener - I've discovered that my Mauser 66 weighs around 12lb with any of its barrels and I've carried it up hill and down dale in the hills red deer hunting for 5 days at a time.

I love the feel of light rifles and, when I'm not really hunting take my plastic stocked Win 94 trapper or Steyr Scout but I wouldn't let weight put me off carrying what I thought was the most appropriate gun for an important hunt.

Would I use a .700 NE double - no, because I think once I get above 470NE the recovery time from the recoil defeats the purpose of having a double. I cut 8" diam logs into 8" lengths and "double tap" them at 50 yards. I am about twice as fast with a 303 than with a 375 and about twice as fast with a 375 compared to a 470 - if I insist on getting a hit with each barrel.

mike

500grains
.416 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: AussieMike]
      #23126 - 02/01/05 03:37 AM

Mike,

The problem with weight is that the client hunter is never (almost never) in as good shape as the PH and trackers and has difficulty keeping up with the extremely brisk pace of following an elephant track even when not carrying a rifle. Add an 18 pound rifle, and it is even more difficult and more exhausting. Keep in mind that a major difference between backpacking and elephant hunting is that a backpacker can generally choose his pace, but an elephant hunter MUST catch up with the elephant or go home empty handed. That requires stepping up the pace as much as possible. Also consider that the 18 pound rifle must be carried in your hands or over your shoulder, not in a backpack. Human arms are not designed to carry heavy weights for long distances, making the task even more difficult. If a guy wants to take an elephant with a .700, there are certainly ways to get it done. If a guy wants to track elephant at the fastest possible pace and look over as many elephants as possible in order to get a big one, then a .700 is probably not his best choice for a rifle.

500grains
.416 member

#23127 - 02/01/05 03:38 AM

NitroX, if you find a used .600 NE for $10K, please let me know so that I can get out my checkbook.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#23133 - 02/01/05 04:36 AM

In reply to:

NitroX, if you find a used .600 NE for $10K, please let me know so that I can get out my checkbook.

ME TOO!, and so I can get an add in the GUN LIST as soon as posible, to sell that thing for around $30,000 for a quick sell. Then go buy a nice 450/400 3" double for about $12000, and go buffalo hunting in Africa!

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#23136 - 02/01/05 04:49 AM

In reply to:

I'm surprised at the focus on weight

go on long back packing trips, in the Australian heat, carrying 20kg (44lb) backpacks for a week at a time and survive.

my Mauser 66 weighs around 12lb with any of its barrels and I've carried it up hill and down dale in the hills red deer hunting for 5 days at a time.

AussieMike, there is a big difference between carrying 44lbs in a well designed back pack, or a 12 lb rifle for several days, and carrying a 20 lb rifle in your hands, for 20 miles at a good clip pace set by an elephant with 8 ft long legs. A rifle, I might add, that you can't shoot off hand when fresh, much less when exausted, and breathing hard, or recover from the recoil soon enough to get off the second shot if needed!

Personally, I'd rather have a nice 9.5, or 10 lb 450NE 3 1/4" double rifle for ele than that cannon, even if someone else carried it!

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#23175 - 02/01/05 02:31 PM

In reply to:

Poster: 500grains
Subject: Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer

I was taking about a .577 NE, maybe a 3" or a 2 3/4" built on a Greener action. I imagine I would have a lot of change out of that cost I described.

Hey anyone want a .577 / 12 gauge cape gun?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #23390 - 04/01/05 05:32 AM

Aussie Mike,
I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in at 70 but a 20 lb. rifle will pack my poop after a couple of days in 120 degree heat on an elephant track...Now you youngsters that are full of piss and vinegar and just had your balls drop, and the testosterone is flushing from head to toe may be able to pack a heavy gun that far, but 99% of you can't afford an elephant hunt until your 60 years old...so thats my point! Call me in 40 years and we'll reinstate this converstation!

Btw, my new elephant gun is a Brno 22 9.3x62 that weighs 7 lbs....comes in handy at my age when you can't walk fast enough to catch them anyway!

500grains
.416 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: atkinson6]
      #23404 - 04/01/05 06:27 AM

In reply to:

I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in at 70 but a 20 lb. rifle will pack my poop after a couple of days in 120 degree heat on an elephant track...

Did you mean a couple of days, or a couple of hours? For me it would be a couple of hours even though I was just half your age ten years ago.

AussieMike
.300 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: atkinson6]
      #23824 - 10/01/05 09:16 AM

Ray, I take your point. I'm on crutches and have been for 18 months (2 months in bed and two months in a wheelchair before that so crutches seem good) and am looking at a different way to carry a rifle slings fall off your shoulder and a double sling son you carry the rifle on both shoulders like in biathlon are really slow.

I'm getting a scabbard made which will daigonal across my back with the rifles wrist positioned at the upper level of the shoulder blades. Will be slower than a hand carried or shoulder slung rifle to get into action, but will be better than no rifle at all, or hunting from a vehicle.
I'll post a report when I've tried it.

mike

Rusty
.333 member

#23833 - 10/01/05 10:54 AM

Mike,
That sounds intriguing to me. Please post some pictures when you get it made.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #23843 - 10/01/05 03:08 PM

Mike

Will this look like that sawed off shotgun scabbard that Michael Douglas carried in that movie about South America? Can't recall thae name.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Rusty
.333 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: mickey]
      #23858 - 10/01/05 07:15 PM

"Romancing the Stone" He carried a sawed off O/U

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

bluedevil
.224 member

Reged: 02/12/04
Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: Rusty]
      #23915 - 11/01/05 01:30 PM

Hi Giys: Just thought I'd tell you that I handled a Searcy 700 double yesterday, at Westley Richards US outlet in Bozeman, Montana. I didn't ask the price. A plain Searcy gun, heavy as a Jeep axle. I'm afraid if a buffalo charged me from 40 yards, he'd have his head down to hook me before I could lift that beast to my shoulder. Much rather have my old John Wilkes 475 #2 at 10 pounds 8 ounces. Keith

500grains
.416 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: bluedevil]
      #23916 - 11/01/05 02:26 PM

Bluedevil,

The Searcy .700 at WR appears to be the same as the one on Gunsamerica, unless there are two left handed Searcy .700's for sale at the same time. Probably the owner has consigned it and will take the Gunsamerica ad down.

clark7781
.375 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: bluedevil]
      #23939 - 12/01/05 04:52 AM

Keith:

While at the Westley Richards outlet, did you happen to know if they ever got .500 NE 3" inch ammo in? My Merkel was regulated with their soft point ammo and I want to get some to see if the pattering is better than the ammo from Superior Ammo or my hand loads.

Thanks

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

deant
.224 member

Reged: 13/02/04
      #23941 - 12/01/05 05:07 AM

Yes it is the same one I saw him post that WR has it now. I thought he was having another 500 made?
Dean

clark7781
.375 member

#23947 - 12/01/05 07:18 AM

It looks like the .700 in question is now posted on the Westley Richards website and it has some additional, hi res pictures. Price listed at Westely is "Call."

http://www.westleyrichards.com/gun/used_guns_2_product.php?id=25310

It looks like the grip on that monster is about as thick as my forearm! One massive rifle.

--------------------
Clark

.500 NE and .577 NE

AussieMike
.300 member

Re: Searcy .700 Nitro Express for sale on gunsamer [Re: mickey]
      #23956 - 12/01/05 11:42 AM

Mickey,

I think it will. We have a a guy here (Hans van Hees) who does excellent leather work, dozens of different holster designs for CAS etc, all hand sewn. I'm having two made, one for DRs/drillings with a 24-26" barrel and one for 16.5" levers like my 1895 Marlin (which is in a calibre I daren't mention) and they are supposed to to sit flat on the back at a slight angle to facilitate the draw. Hans hasn't made these before so He''l just use his common sense and I have every expectation he'll come up with a functional design which will also have a very pleasing appearance.

mike

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #23962 - 12/01/05 03:03 PM

Mike

Good Luck to you. I hope it workds out and look forward to seeing pics. Maybe you are on to something for carrying a Double in the mountains.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22141

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com