Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Internet absolute: regulation parallel or crossing?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Internet absolute: regulation parallel or crossing? [Re: DarylS]
      #224159 - 23/01/13 09:13 AM

Quote:

With parallel regulation the sights could be counted on at all ranges.

In 1860, Lt. J. Forsyth wrote that W. Greener's premise that the bores would shoot either crossing or diverging was incorrect.

Forsyth noted
The centre of the individual barrel groups being only bore axis to bore axis apart, thus no holding off would be necessary no matter the range.

In reality, for the bores to shoot very close at 100 or 200yards would probably suffice today for most people.

Pretty much says the centre of the groups are bore axis apart.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brosteve
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: TX USA
Re: Internet absolute: regulation parallel or crossing? [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #225699 - 21/02/13 03:05 PM

Good discussion. Truly parallel barrels by unwitting regulators may explain why some Browning and Winchester double rifles are known to be off (with some being perfectly accurate and no rhyme or reason as to why from the manufacturer. Caveat emptor). Could it be that they trusted physical alignment without testing at the range?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Internet absolute: regulation parallel or crossing? [Re: brosteve]
      #225740 - 22/02/13 05:45 AM

Quote:

Could it be that they trusted physical alignment without testing at the range?

YES! Absolutely!

I have seen 'adverts' claiming perfect regulation due to the barrels being aligned with lasers. Now, that might have been Pedersoli & concerning muzzleloading doubles only. Seems with 4 out of 5 with that system didn't work well even though ML's are easier to regulate than are smokeless doubles, I believe. At least, one can go to the range and test 100 different loads combinations in a single 7 or 8 hour period - a nice day at the range.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Internet absolute: regulation parallel or crossing? [Re: DarylS]
      #227728 - 29/03/13 12:53 PM

Daryl I think you are correct. These regulation attempts were usually by companies that had been successful makers of shotguns. The use of lasers is common in the regulating of double barreled shotguns, and for that purpose it works well. This is because all that is needed is to make one barrel’s 30 inch pattern more or less superimpose over the other barrel’s 30 inch pattern at 30 yds. This was the problem with the Winchester Japanese made Over/Under double rifles, they assumed that a laser finding the center of a 30 inch target at 50 yds or 100 yds would make a double rifle shoot that way. So! They placed the barrel sets in a jig and aimed lasers on a target at those distances, and went ahead and hard brazed them in place finished them and put the in the box and shipped them. As we know that didn’t work well.

I don’t think anyone would want a double rifle that shot some place into a 30 inch target at 100 yds.

Almost all makers use the laser to get an educated guess as to a starting point, then turn the rifle over to a real regulator to do his magic. Nothing short of this will work. Sabatti tried that and when it didn’t work too well on most of their rifles they tried to adjust it with a moto-tool and we know how that turned out as well.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13307

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com