Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Which Trigger to Use First on a DR - Front or Rear?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Surge45
.224 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Florida
Which Trigger to Use First on a DR - Front or Rear?
      #219005 - 04/11/12 01:14 PM

I can't seem to find an easy answer to this question.

I have a Krieghoff Classic in .470 NE and have been practicing at the range and dry firing at home in preparation for a Cape hunt next April (2013). I'm not sure where I got the impression that one should use the FRONT trigger (i.e., right barrel) first. Someone at the range (who has never owned or shot a DR) told me the one HAS to use the rear trigger first.

To me it just seemed more logical to use the front trigger first as it should be easier for the finger to find the rear trigger - especially upon the recoil of the first shot. I also have an O/U for skeet (with a single trigger, however) and I equated the "first" barrel (the lower barrel on the O/U) with the right barrel on the double.

Thoughts or opinions?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Which Trigger to Use First on a DR - Front or Rear? [Re: Surge45]
      #219008 - 04/11/12 04:59 PM

Surge45

Its simple, the vast majority of double rifles were regulated to shoot the front trigger/right barrel first, and rear trigger/left barrel second.

I had a good discussion with one of the regulators/gunsmakers - Rico - at the Heym Gunmakers in Germany last month. And how barrels work during the shooting of the two barrels, timing between shots etc.

So shoot it first, front trigger then rear trigger, and that is how it should regulate most correctly.

Try it the other way round too, try it with the rear trigger, then the front, and see how it performs.

The reason many people shoot the rear trigger first, is because many shooters when firing the first trigger, under recoil tap the rear trigger and set off the second barrel as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (04/11/12 05:00 PM)

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #219017 - 04/11/12 09:47 PM

Always the front trigger first ! If you have to do a second shoot quickly , it's more easy to move the finger from the front to the rear .

Is that your first buffalo hunt ?

Edited by grandveneur (04/11/12 09:48 PM)

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: Which Trigger to Use First on a DR - Front or Rear? [Re: NitroX]
      #219018 - 04/11/12 10:06 PM

The reason many people shoot the rear trigger first, is because many shooters when firing the first trigger, under recoil tap the rear trigger and set off the second barrel as well.

By hunting dangerous game you have to control your rifle and particularly the recoil !

http://huntforever.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/dangerous-game/

Surge45
.224 member

Re: Which Trigger to Use First on a DR - Front or Rear? [Re: grandveneur]
      #219020 - 04/11/12 10:23 PM

Quote:

By hunting dangerous game you have to control your rifle and particularly the recoil !

http://huntforever.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/dangerous-game/

Haha! This is precisely why I started that discussion with someone at the range - which was actually the range manager. I let him shoot my rifle and he set off both barrels at the same time. It almost knocked him on his rear end! I wish I would have caught that on video. He said he was just following my instructions (to shoot the front trigger first) but the rear one should be fired first....

Surge45
.224 member

#219021 - 04/11/12 10:26 PM

Quote:

Is that your first buffalo hunt ?

Yes it is! I'm also hunting Leopard. I'm doing everything I can to prepare: reading books, watching DVD's, getting in better shape, dry firing at Buffalo's on the DVD's and live firing at the range. I can't wait! Any words of wisdom?

Surge45
.224 member

#219022 - 04/11/12 10:30 PM

Quote:

Surge45

Its simple, the vast majority of double rifles were regulated to shoot the front trigger/right barrel first, and rear trigger/left barrel second.

I had a good discussion with one of the regulators/gunsmakers - Rico - at the Heym Gunmakers in Germany last month. And how barrels work during the shooting of the two barrels, timing between shots etc.

So shoot it first, front trigger then rear trigger, and that is how it should regulate most correctly.

Try it the other way round too, try it with the rear trigger, then the front, and see how it performs.

Nitrox,

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure where I got the impression that it was "front first" but your explanation make a lot of sense. I'm glad that I was doing it right after all that dry firing (I've must have killed over 500 buffalo already on those DVD's. Ha!) and didn't want to have to retrain myself.

grandveneur
.400 member

#219025 - 04/11/12 11:44 PM

Haha! This is precisely why I started that discussion with someone at the range - which was actually the range manager. I let him shoot my rifle and he set off both barrels at the same time. It almost knocked him on his rear end! I wish I would have caught that on video. He said he was just following my instructions (to shoot the front trigger first) but the rear one should be fired first....

No words of wisdom . I have 2 big bore DR's , i know the problem . Today , and for a first hunt , a bolt action rifle with a good scope is more versatile . There is a reason for the success of the bolt action rifles caliber 416 Rigby and 404 Jeffery at the begin of the 20 century . If you want hunt with a DR you have to adapt your hunting to your rifle , short to close range because the risk of poor shot placement . If not , a opportunity for your PH !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #219077 - 05/11/12 04:00 PM

There is a place for bolt actions and a place for double rifles.

Sometimes we hear people claim they can shoot their bolt action as fast as a double rifle, and of course claim they can shoot three or four shots from their bolt action whereas a double is only two. But they are either dumb, or purposefully want to ignore, that at very very close range, the double will get off TWO SHOTS faster than anything else. that is why PH's ALL want to carry a big bore double when following up wounded game in thick bush at close range.

A double rifle is also capable of shooting as accurately at longer ranges as a bolt action. Not all, but many are. Use one barrel only, and make sure it is sighted in for long ranges and you know how it shoots. If you need to shoot a second shot, reload the same barrel and shoot from it again. Same as using a single shot. Using the same barrel means regulation, potential crossing bullets paths are irrelevant. Sames as barrel warming and barrel stretching.

The first double rifle I ever used and played around with was a Frankonia U/O in .22 Magnum and 5.6x50mmR. The 5.6mm barrel would make a 3-shot single hole at 100 metres.

Surge45,

btw I have tested my Jeffery DR and contrary to logic or normal DRs I can shoot the rear trigger first and the group on the target at reasonable ranges is similar to shooting the front trigger first.

As I said, try your out and see how it performs. Normal procedure though is front trigger first.

If shooting something really big at quite close ranges, often the difference in bullet impact on the target is not enough to worry about.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #219087 - 05/11/12 07:48 PM

It's posted in another thread. My Merkel will double if you pull the rear trigger first. It has an interceptor to stop doubling when you pull the front trigger first - seems to work. The manual says to pull the front trigger first (ie fire the right barrel), for regulation reasons, but I think it may be for doubling reasons.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #219119 - 06/11/12 06:35 AM

I know, it is "proper" to pull the front trigger first, and it is vital to do so, if you are shooting a double rifle, such as the Merkel, that is set up with lighter trigger pull for that front trigger, or you risk the chances of it double firing. Personally, however, many years ago, in the 1960s, Elmer Keith told me that he always fired the rear trigger first, because, during recoil, it was much easier for him to move hand/finger to the front trigger (without risk of touching off rear trigger had he fired front trigger first, since, during recoil, it is harder to get finger between two triggers). So, that is how I learned to do it, finding that my experience agreed fully with Keith, so I wouldn't ever try to change now! A rifle, such as the Merkel, can always be altered to have rear trigger pull lighter than front, to avoid possible double firing. To believe that, somehow, regulation is affected by which trigger is pulled first, is simply hogwash. I learned, in gunsmithing school, the process of regulating double rifles, and I have regulated several, so I think I know a thing or two about that. Thus, I cannot accept any thoughts that regulation is affected by which trigger is pulled first or second!

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Which Trigger to Use First on a DR - Front or Rear? [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #219137 - 06/11/12 12:08 PM

It is like spelling Alphabet...of course you can always spell it backwards...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4451

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com