Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #215850 - 01/09/12 12:22 AM

Quote:

I bought Buzz Charlton new DVD and during the chapter on Charges he sometimes hints that he wished he had a Double at that time.I've read that afew people that know him say he maybe looking to buy a Double.I enjoy watching his videos it would be cool to see him use a Double and his Ruger in one.

He had a double for a while, maybe he still has it. It was a vintage .450 NE of some flavor, not sure of the details. Also I do not know why he did not carry it instead of the Ruger. Perhaps with hundreds of game animals under his belt with the Ruger, he just feels more confident with it than the double. It would be quite costly to practice with a double to bring his double experience up to equal his bolt action experience, especially when ammo in Zim can easily cost three time what it does in the US (I paid $300 for a box of .375 H&H softs).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: 500grains]
      #215853 - 01/09/12 01:30 AM

That .450 was Ian Nyschens' Alex Henry.
If I remember corectly Buzz did ordered .500 Heym.
No clue what happened afterwards...

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: eagle27]
      #215881 - 01/09/12 12:19 PM

Quote:

A concern I have in watching various video footage of some double users is that sometimes they fire off a fast second shot irrespective of the animal showing signs of going down with the first and then of course are completely unloaded in the case of the animal getting up again or another animal causing problems. In other words they are reacting a little like the guy using a semi, keep pulling the trigger while the gun will fire.

You keep shooting them until they put their head on the ground. If you fire both shots you reload them fast and are ready to go again. With a loaded double and two in your fingers you can fire four aimed shots in under 10 seconds and have 2 more from your cartirdge holder eady to go again.

Admiring your first shot thinking the first one was good is a bad mistake with dangerous game.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #215886 - 01/09/12 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A concern I have in watching various video footage of some double users is that sometimes they fire off a fast second shot irrespective of the animal showing signs of going down with the first and then of course are completely unloaded in the case of the animal getting up again or another animal causing problems. In other words they are reacting a little like the guy using a semi, keep pulling the trigger while the gun will fire.

You keep shooting them until they put their head on the ground. If you fire both shots you reload them fast and are ready to go again. With a loaded double and two in your fingers you can fire four aimed shots in under 10 seconds and have 2 more from your cartirdge holder eady to go again.

Admiring your first shot thinking the first one was good is a bad mistake with dangerous game.

I wasn't implying anyone should admire their first shot but invariably, and I have seen this on at least one video I have particularly noticed and I'm sure there would be plenty more examples, is that the second shot fired as the animal is falling will go high with the only effect being the shooter has expended his second shot for no good outcome and is now empty.

Think shooting dropping clays or even birds with a shotgun, I've seen many more misses than hits.

Similarly we have seen with fast approaching cats it is very difficult for a standing shooter to get the lead right (dropping the aiming point down below the animal) as they come in and invariably the shot goes over the animal.

Yes agree once the animal hits the deck then pour it in to keep it there.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #215906 - 01/09/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

in a couple of those scenes, there is no way you would have gotten a second shot off that quick with a bolt...

I began my skeet shooting career with a Model 12 Winchester pump action shotgun. It soon became clear to me that I could operate the action and reload the gun in the time it took to recover from the recoil of the first shot and bring the gun back on the second target. In fact, some Model 12 shooters disdained automatics because they thought the action operated too slowly.

I started high power rifle competition with a bolt gun and the same thing became apparant. By the time I had recovered from recoil, I had cycled the bolt and was ready for the next shot.

On my trips to Africa, I carried both a double rifle and a bolt gun for dangerous game, but I ended up using the bolt gun almost exclusively. I killed one elephant and one buffalo with the double rifle, but three more elephant and four more buffalo with my bolt gun.

On one occasion, I was able to put four shots in a charging rhino at close range, and on another four shots into a buffalo as he ran past at about 30 yards distance. Three of those shots could have been covered with a playing card and were in the heart lung area. The buffalo stopped so suddenly that his nose plowed up the ground.

Most tellingly, my friend and mentor, John Buhmiller, used his bolt action rifles to kill over 100 elephants and countless buffalo. He tried a double rifle once and rejected it.

Mastering the bolt gun is not something everyone has the time or inclination to do, but it certainly can be done. The Wikipedia article on Townsend Whelen mentions that he is credited with firing six shots standing in ten seconds with a 1903 Springfield and keeping all of the shots inside a man sized target at 200 yards. As an experiment, I once fired five shots in eight seconds with a Lee Enfield at 100 yards prone, and kept all five of the shots in a 6" bullseye.

There are situations where two shots are not enough. I once killed a very old elephant which was accompanied by a younger bull, an "askari". When the old bull went down, the young bull, instead of fleeing, stood his ground and trumpeted and squealed. Had he been able to locate us, he would have charged. There was not time enough to reload a double rifle to take care of him, if he had charged immediately.

Fortunately, he was never able to locate us and eventually departed.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: xausa]
      #215907 - 01/09/12 09:43 PM

An old African hand I spoke with about doubles vs bolts did say that a Double is more prone to failure due to dirt grit etc getting in the action and making it hard to close. He was not saying this is a regular thing but one of several things that need to be taken into account if you are looking at buying a double.

Not he was not anti double. It was the only negative/posotive he mentioned that I had not heard of or considered before.

Wouldn't mind a double but I am certainly more comfortable at this time with a bolt.

xausa
.400 member

Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #215919 - 02/09/12 02:20 AM

Here are a few quotes on the subject from John Buhmiller. The first letter was written after the 1971 Game Coin convention in San Antonio, which I was fortunate enough to attend with him and his wife. I also hooked up with Ker, Downey and Selby there and booked my first hunt with them which took place in October of that year.

"I'd be happy if we had a Magnum Mauser or Brevex, at a reasonable price. I did try my .475 # 2 on buffalo one time, I had no trouble, except at times I got my fingers on the wrong trigger, when it didn't go I just had to get on the other trigger. I'm trained for the bolt gun, and that is what I like."

"I used a magazine gun always. A double rifle does not suit my requirements for this sort of shooting, where one should have five or six shots available without reloading. The above-mentioned charge came after I had just dropped two elephants, and the third one came for me. I was ready and dropped number three without incident. With a double rifle, I'd be hard-pressed to get it reloaded in time, and there is little use to run from an elephant."

"Regarding caliber of rifles used for my shooting, I used from .416 to .505 Gibbs on the big stuff. Mostly used .450 Magnum, .460 Weatherby (the first one ever made, no doubt), and .458 Winchester. The rifle one should use depends altogether on circumstances. Much of my shooting was in very dense cover, and without an accompanying White Hunter. I liked to carry the most effective rifle I could handle, and that no doubt was the .505. If I ever go again I will take either a .50 caliber on the Weatherby case or even a .55 caliber. My friends are expecting me back in a year or two."

The idea of a .505 on a shortened Weatherby case was one John and I arrived at independent of one another. This was the cartridge I used on the elephant and buffalo I mentioned above.

Anyone wishing to read the entire articles by and about John can find them here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/buhmiller.html

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: xausa]
      #215947 - 02/09/12 06:49 PM

J.A.Hunter (over 1000 Rhino and 600 elephants on control) book called "Hunter", see chapter 14, page 220-221, also his quote "I have a lot of friends in Nairobi cemetary who trusted in bolt action rifles, for myself I used a pair of .500 Hollands and if they had once let me down I would not be writing this"........that being said Selby, Aagaard and loads of others used bolts, the argument will never be answered but nowadays, since you MUST have a PH and thus backup, a double has to be more "pukka", just sentimentalism on my part I suppose, best, Mike

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #215977 - 03/09/12 07:02 AM

That video made me want a double. Dangit!

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Ash]
      #216015 - 03/09/12 08:45 PM

Apologies, JA Hunter accounted for 1400 elephant, my error, best, Mike

cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
      #216312 - 08/09/12 10:12 AM

If you want guarantees, then hunting dangerous game is not for you.

Talking as tho a hit with the second shot must be "guaranteed", shows no appreciation of the benefits of the double. Probably the only certainty that you have, is that there will be the odd occasion where the man with the bolt-gun will not have enough time to get off an accurate second shot AT ALL.

At the ranges under discussion, hits with the first shot say little to nothing about the merits of the action.

Those who say that a double cannot be reloaded quickly have obviously never seen it done by a practiced hand. Just like shooting quickly and accurately, it's a skill that requires practice. But that doesn't mean that it can't be done. Just that you haven't done it.

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

Edited by cooch (08/09/12 10:20 AM)

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: cooch]
      #216315 - 08/09/12 01:37 PM

Quote:

If you want guarantees, then hunting dangerous game is not for you.

Talking as tho a hit with the second shot must be "guaranteed", shows no appreciation of the benefits of the double. Probably the only certainty that you have, is that there will be the odd occasion where the man with the bolt-gun will not have enough time to get off an accurate second shot AT ALL.

At the ranges under discussion, hits with the first shot say little to nothing about the merits of the action.

Those who say that a double cannot be reloaded quickly have obviously never seen it done by a practiced hand. Just like shooting quickly and accurately, it's a skill that requires practice. But that doesn't mean that it can't be done. Just that you haven't done it.

Too often when discussing the merits of the bolt over the double or vice versa, we hear that all it takes is practice or that we have not seen it done by a practiced hand and we read of those who shoot countless rounds off the bench or over the sticks in preparation for their dangerous game hunting.
Unfortunately this means very little when placing one in the hunting situation with all the attending distractions such as, heat, the excitement, the fear, the adrenaline, the fatigue, unfamiliarity with the terrain, the PH, the others in the party, etc , etc, and then add in a dangerous animal particularly one that is about to attack.

If it was all that easy with just practice at home to hone your skills for the real thing then our other top sports people would only ever have to practice their running, cycling, swimming, whatever sport they have chosen, in their own back yard or local park and then head off to the Olympics to become a champion. Not in a million years will that happen. They may do some of that to maintain fitness but as we all know it takes competing at real venues with other top sports people in the field, with crowds of spectators, starting guns, all the distractions, all the issues that pop up, at many many meets to hone the skills to be a top exponent of any sport.

Most often when we see a practiced hand demonstrating the fast use of a double or a bolt for that matter on these forums, it is under controlled conditions on a range. More often in Africa we see, or I see(maybe some are a little reluctant to comment in case of upsetting others) a fair amount of fumbling and bumbling in trying to reload firearms and some ineffectual or wasted shots. This is also backed up by honest comments of PHs who have said that there are far more instances of poor handling of firearms in Africa than instances of good handling and some cringe when they see what firearms some hunters arrive with.

If we were to assume that those having the money and fortitude to venture to Africa to hunt are at the top of their game, then we should expect to see a very high percentage of those hunters being exceptional in the handling of their firearms. This does not seem to be the case. Maybe that is because many of them are using firearms with which they are not so familiar with i.e. not the usual type of firearm they use for most of their hunting.

I have used bolt actions all my life on all kinds of hunting, some in other countries as well. I'm left handed and only use right handed rifles. I feel quite at home when using any bolt gun and can operate these without looking and on the run. Hence I would never dream of taking any other type of gun to Africa or Australia on dangerous game.

cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
      #216316 - 08/09/12 01:55 PM

Obvious straw man....

I am NOT saying that "all it takes is practice".

If you do not have the nerve do reload under pressure, then you are unlikely to have the nerve to shoot accurately under pressure and dangerous game hunting is not for you.

If you do have the nerve and the basic coordination, the reloading a double quickly is a skill that you can learn by practice. Like shooting.

Try for a more honest rebuttal.

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

Edited by cooch (08/09/12 02:01 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: cooch]
      #216318 - 08/09/12 03:10 PM

I haven't re-read all the posts, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the superb balance, pointability and handling capabilities of a well made and designed double rifle. Just like a fine side by side shotgun, the design has no peer, except maybe for a well balanced single shot.

No ungainly bolt action even the best designed has anything like balance or the same pointability. Especially in chunky big bore designs.

I'm not surprised the proponents of bolt actions would even think of this because they have never experienced that superb advantage of the double rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

DvK
.224 member

Reged: 06/10/08
Loc: Denmark
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #216360 - 09/09/12 01:31 AM

Gent's that is a great commercial movie, with great scenes. But does it make Doubles a better choiche for sporthunting DG - I guess not.

You have all been quoting different hunters with exsperince in hunting DG, and I will also quote one then. Richard Harland wrote: Had I been using a Double I would be dead now!

I think there is an english expresion that says: you go to your church then I go to mine?

I personatly love doubles, and have limited hunted DG with them, I have also hunted DG with a Bolt rifle. And I hope in the future I will be hunting DG with both Bolts and Doubles, only time will show.

Sincerely

D93

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #217347 - 29/09/12 11:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can well imagine that a video could be made up of both the first and second shot from doubles not being successful and this is the reason why at least some if not all of the PHs who have met their maker or been seriously injured recently has occurred (I don't know what weapons all were using but it has been revealed at least some had doubles.

On some of those charge sequences, there would have been no time for a second shot from a bolt action.

There is a reason EVERY PH wants a double rifle to hunt dangerous game with. And those that don't can't afford one or haven't saved for one yet.

I don't know that there is any compelling proof that "EVERY PH wants a double".

The very 'doubles' promoting video was edited to only show missed or ineffectual first shots but successful second shots. My point was that the video did not show any sequences where the second shot was also ineffectual which possibly happens more often than not or more often than we like to admit (with any style of weapon) i.e. there is no statistical reason to suppose a second shot is going to be more effectual that the first shot with any weapon. The animal maybe closer in a charge sequence but the second or subsequent shot/s must still hit the animal and then hit a vital or killing spot to stop the charge.<<<<SNIP

Eagle, None of what you are saying has anything to do with the subject at hand. As someone above said in all these cases the first shot didn't do the trick, and the second shot did. If the same sequence was with a bolt rifle and the first shot didn't stop the ele, or lion, someone would have been in real trouble, because there was not enough time to work a bolt and get that second shot that DID end it. The double is not a guarantee that either shot will do the job, but you will GET that second shot and with the bolt you will not.

If the first one doesn't do it with the bolt you’re in trouble at these ranges, but though the second shot is not guaranteed to stop the ele it is 100% more likely than just one shot with the bolt rifle. If you have time to get a second shot with a bolt then they are equal, but if you don't the double has another shot where the bolt doesn't.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Crusader68
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Baton Rouge, LA
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #218128 - 18/10/12 08:01 AM

No doubt that a double rifle is probably the first choice of any hunter/ph but they are not a absolute with everyone. Plenty of the most famous ivory hunters used single shots, Selous even used a muzzleloader for a larde chunk of his career, and no one can say that he wasn't successful. WDM Bell favored a bolt action in a caliber that isn't legal to use on big game anymore, .275 Rigby. It's rather pointless to argue over the necessity of a double when in fact it's not a requirement.

Shot placement is better than a rifle with four barrels any day, the only reason a double is needed as a "just in case" senario. For me, when accuracy is the most important criteria in a rifle, then a single shot or bolt gun with a good optic is what is needed. If you actually look at bolt guns by Blaser and how fast you can cycle the bolt, it's significantly bridging the gap between doubles and old style bolt guns. I recall some one, it might have been Boddington, but they raised the good point that if 3 shots are required than a bolt guns greater capacity can trump a double. At the end of the day people should concentrate on putting that first shot on target, and they won't need a second shot, and secondly to practice, practice, practice before you hunt so that it becomes a reflexive movement to put a second shot on target if needed

--------------------
Erik S.
"... mais épargnez le visage"

Pab
.224 member

Reged: 19/05/10
Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Crusader68]
      #218132 - 18/10/12 11:56 AM

For sure double rifles are fun to shoot, and in my opinion a better choice for dangerous game in the thick bush.

On the other hand, if you are used to your rifle, it can be fast and accurate. It is just a matter of training. I have been trying, but yet I am not as fast as I would like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHUdGuWa-Lw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Pab]
      #218146 - 18/10/12 07:11 PM

"Shot placement is better than a rifle with four barrels any day" . Amen, as I think O´Connor or possibly Keith related a story told to them years ago by a native Indian guide, "one shot good, two shots, maybe, three shots heap big shit" best

xausa
.400 member

#218149 - 18/10/12 11:04 PM

Quote:

I think O´Connor or possibly Keith related a story told to them years ago by a native Indian guide, "one shot good, two shots, maybe, three shots heap big shit"

Actually, that was a Hemingway anecdote, related, I believe, in "The Green Hills of Africa".

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: Rule303]
      #218173 - 19/10/12 08:46 AM

Quote:

An old African hand I spoke with about doubles vs bolts did say that a Double is more prone to failure due to dirt grit etc getting in the action and making it hard to close.

This doesn't get the airplay/exposure it probably deserves and I've heard the same thing myself.

From what history I have read, double rifles were initially designed when ammunition and single shot locks were unreliable, giving you a chance at a 2nd shot. Most other benefits of the design were discovered later. The english gentry made an easier transition to doubles as they were familiar and confident with shotguns.

I always carefully watch commercial videos of double rifle users shooting the big stuff. An aweful lot look very clean and I wonder how long the rifle has been out of the gun bag.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: tophet1]
      #218189 - 19/10/12 05:17 PM

No doubt a Double can fail if excessive debris get into the action. That's why I cringe when seeing pictures of guys posing with their broken open rifles. Keep them shut and give general maintenance as often as possible (I clean before dinner)and you will have minimal issues. That go's for old and brand new rifles..

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: ozhunter]
      #218190 - 19/10/12 06:41 PM

Xausa, sorry, I stand corrected, best, Mike

brosteve
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/11
Loc: TX USA
      #226104 - 28/02/13 03:01 PM

Makes me want to carry a double, iron-sighted! Now, to be sacriligious, let me ask...how would the Heym SR30 straight pull rifle in .375 Ruger fare for speed and effectiveness? Steve

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Ivan Carter - Double Rifle vs Bolt Action Rifle [Re: brosteve]
      #226118 - 28/02/13 08:50 PM

I remember an Australia tool of a gunwriter claiming bolt actions were better than double rifles, because he could shoot four shots more quickly out of his bolt action, because the double rifle was slower with more than one shot, because of all that recoil ......

Guess the moron didn't consider comparing recoil if both were chambered for comparable big bore cartridges ......

A lot of people write a lot of shit from armchairs ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32658

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com