Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lang Pinfire Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
RJW
.224 member

Reged: 26/02/03
Loc: Darwin, NT
Lang Pinfire Double Rifle
      #214367 - 11/08/12 06:07 PM

I’ve loitered around this site on and off over the years so I thought it time to show off some of my rifles. Pictured below is a pinfire double rifle by Joseph Lang of London. The records now held by Atkin, Grant & Lang describe it as a 72 bore pinfire double rifle which was completed on 1st March 1862 for Henry Chaplin.

The rifle itself has a forward facing rotary underlever which is common with the early Lang breechloaders. It has single bite locking as opposed to the more common Jones type underlever which typically had double locking lugs. This type of action was invented in France by Lefaucheux and was introduced into Britain by Lang after being displayed at the 1851 Great Exhibition in London.

I’d never previously heard of a 72 bore pinfire cartridge but assume it’s some variation of a 12mm pinfire rifle cartridge of which there were quite a few at the time. The cartridge however does appear to be of a rimmed type of pinfire but I haven’t yet got around to making a chamber cast or slugging the bore. The action flats are also stamped with .466 which seems to fit in with the 12mm bore size.

The only real fault with it is the two small plates inletted into the wrist of the stock presumably to strengthen a crack, although I can’t see any cracking at all.

Research on the original owner, Henry Chaplin, show that he was born on 22nd December 1840 and educated at Harrow and Oxford where he was a close friend of the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII). On turning 21 he inherited vast estates in Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire. He mixed in the highest social class but nevertheless became involved in several scandals, most notably where his fiancée pretty much left him at the alter and ran off with his mate.

Above: A Young Henry Chaplin, in 1859, aged 18.

He was a typical country gentleman of the time, interested mainly in shooting, fox hunting and horse racing. One of his horses, Hermit won the 1867 English Derby. It’s also worth noting that this rifle was completed just three months after receiving his inheritance, perhaps it was a present to himself to celebrate his new wealth.

He first entered parliament in 1868 as the MP for Mid-Lincolnshire served as a cabinet minister and in other roles until retiring in 1916 when he was raised to the peerage as the 1st Viscount Chaplin.

Above: 1st Viscount Chaplin

I’ve also acquired a biography of his life written by his daughter, the Marchioness of Londonderry. In it she describes his hunting trips through Canada and India in the 1860’s, as well as deer stalking in Scotland but unfortunately there’s no mention anywhere of a pinfire double rifle. Research is ongoing.

Further information on Henry Chaplin is available on these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Chaplin,_1st_Viscount_Chaplin

http://www.macla.co.uk/blankney/chaplin2.php

Cheers

RJW

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Lang Pinfire Double Rifle [Re: RJW]
      #214375 - 11/08/12 09:39 PM

Now that's one heck of a good post.

Lovely rifle and a great history too.

Nicely researched.

Thanks for sharing.

Best
ALEX

--------------------

Details matter!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Lang Pinfire Double Rifle [Re: alexbeer]
      #214379 - 12/08/12 12:38 AM

Beautiful and quit elegant.
72 bore is .402", while .466" is 46 bore. It may have been 're-bored and re-rifled" at some time - ie: freshed-out. This most certainly does not detract from an excellent rifle & possession. I dearly love the early ctg. guns.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Lang Pinfire Double Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #214380 - 12/08/12 12:46 AM

RJW-

Very nice rifle.
I own and run pinfire double rifles, this is rewarding stuff for sure.
I'd like to see the marks on the barrel flats and the action flats.
That number might not be there to indicate bore dimension.

What is the rifling pattern and rate?
Please get some chamber castings together so we can see your chambers
Rims on rifle and shotguns are typical, they will be smaller than the more modern central fire bore rifle and gun rimmed cartridges. Rimless was specific to the revolvers.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

RJW
.224 member

#214387 - 12/08/12 01:44 AM

Tinker,

Some close ups of the relevant markings are below. It'll be a while before I have time to do a chamber cast but a quick measure shows that the depth of the chamber to the rifling is about 1.235" and the diametre of the chamber at the breech is .473" or almost exactly 12mm. The max rim diametre is approximatly 0.550" but its a strange shape and hard to measure , kind of countersunk in on an angle rather than a square shaped groove as found on more modern guns. The rifling has 6 shallow grooves with a RH twist. The lands are narrower than the grooves. Looks to me like typical Enfield type rifling, but I'm no expert. The muzzle diametre is very close to 0.400" or 10mm.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards RJW

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #214390 - 12/08/12 02:09 AM

The "466" looks like it could be a patent use number since it is on the barrels and the action flats. Don't know why it would be stamped twice on the action though unless it denotes use of the chamber/pinfire design which could be used twice on barrels and chambers.
Not sure if this is it at all, just wondering of course.
Very nice rifle!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Lang Pinfire Double Rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #214403 - 12/08/12 04:24 AM

RJW, just to set things straight: Casimir Lefaucheux did not invent THIS SINGLE-bite action. Even his early 1834 patent for a capping breechloader shows a double-bite activated by the forward underlever. Crudgington-Baker show a cut from the Illustrated London News that shows a single barreled gun or rifle Lefaucheux exhibited in 1851. This cut too shows the two barrel lumps of the typical Lefaucheux double bite action. When Lang saw the Lefaucheux gun at the exhibition, he either misunderstood the lockup or he tried to simplify things. At least, his single bite close to the hinge prooved to be unsatisfactory in the long run and spurred the development of the bewildering variations of single-, treble- and multple-bite guns.

RJW
.224 member

#214408 - 12/08/12 08:16 AM

Thanks Kuduae,

You are of course correct. Both the 1934 patent (as shown in both Crudgington & Baker and Dallas) and the Great Exhibition drawing (extract pictured below) show the double bite arrangement. Crudgington & Baker do claim that for unknown reasons Lefaucheux later abandoned the double bite for a single bite nearer the pivot pin. Another drawing of the Lefaucheux action, this one with a single bite, is shown in Greener's "The Gun and its Development" - not a particularly accurate source though.

Incidentaly, this discussion reminded me that I actually own a very worn example Lefaucheux pinfire shotgun with the double bite action, although I believe from its English retailer (Masu Bros) it dates in the 1865-69 period)

Regards
RJW

Extracted from the "Illustrated London News" July 3, 1851

tinker
.416 member

#214443 - 13/08/12 12:31 AM

RJW-

May I see the rest of the barrel flats and the breech end of the chambers too please?
are there any other markings at all on the action (including forend iron etc) and barrels?
I'd also like to see the muzzles and front sight.

The rim cuts will certainly be slight.
There wasn't much rim on the rifle and gun cartridges, and the rim treatment isn't what we're used to seeing on our modern cartridge guns and rifles.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

tinker
.416 member

Re: Lang Pinfire Double Rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #214445 - 13/08/12 12:35 AM

Kudae-

Quote:

... Even his early 1834 patent for a capping breechloader...

Do you have images of this patent (for the capping gun) or a link to the patent with drawings?

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14641

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com