Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2nd double - calibre choice?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Maximus
.275 member

Reged: 15/05/12
Loc: Switzerland
2nd double - calibre choice?
      #209784 - 01/06/12 10:13 PM

As stated in another thread I have a new .500NE in build which will be ready next April. I will take this gun to Tanzania in July for a buffalo, elephant and plains game hunt.

As much as I am looking forward to firing the .500NE it's probably not something I will do every week. It's also a tad heavy for wild boar in Europe So I thought about getting another lighter double and am very interested in the Heym 88B. I've visited the Heym factory and handled many of their double so am quite happy with what they offer within this sector of the market.

I will use this second rifle for European hunting - boar, stags and maybe moose, if I get the opportunity. It will definitely have a scope fitted on claw mounts - a Zeiss Victory HT 1.1-4x24 - mounted as low as possible.

But what calibre? My instinct is to go with 9.3x74R. It packs enough punch for Europe and in a fairly lightweight package recoil should be easily manageable. It might not be the flattest shooting round if I did decide to take it to Africa for plains game, but I'm not sure any other calibre would be more suitable. Maybe .375 Flanged? Here is the list of what is available in the 88B.

| 30-06 | 30R Blaser | 7x65R | 8x57 IRS | 8x57 IRS | 8x57 RS | 9.3x74 R | 375 H&H Belted | 375 H&H Flanged |

Any input would be very welcome

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: Maximus]
      #209785 - 01/06/12 10:40 PM

.500NE is great fun on pigs! Give yours a run for the fun of it! My philosophy is that using a big rifle on small game makes you ready when you have a big animal in front of you.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: Ben]
      #209788 - 01/06/12 11:39 PM

If I lived in Europe, the choice would be an easy one for me - a 9.3x74R.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: DarylS]
      #209808 - 02/06/12 02:01 AM

9.3X74R

Versatile with very manageable recoil.

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: Buchsemann]
      #209810 - 02/06/12 02:25 AM

As above

9.3X74R

500NE is great on pigs, especially with 440gn bullets (and less recoil) but it is still nice to have another one
and 9.3 would be it.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #209811 - 02/06/12 02:32 AM

Since you threw in the Moose I would also go with the 9.3. However I have always been fascinated with the 30 Blaser.

It seems to me it would be a wonderful rifle for driven hunts and for longer range shooting also. A very light Double could be a really quick and accurate rifle.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: Buchsemann]
      #209812 - 02/06/12 02:33 AM

With a .500 you have the big end taken care of.

I would go for a 9.3x74R or the .375 Flanged for the second.

Both will double for the .500 if needed for elephant and buffalo.

The 9.3 might not be technically legal in some countries for these game however.

Both have similar power, the .375 having a small edge. The recoil of both will be quite manageable even for persons finding bigger bore difficult.

I like the .375 Flanged as I think it is a better cartridge.

However loaded ammunition can be found for the 9.3 throughout Europe and probably South Africa and Namibia.

The 9.3 is extensively used for boar hunting and would also be excellent for moose.

I would go for the 9.3x74R which would be excellent paired with the .500 NE. I have a 9.3x74R and haven't found it lacking including good shots on water buffalo and other similar sized game and smaller ones too.

Another choice would be the 8x75RS. It is also offered in Heym's double rifles as well. A 8mm case based on the 74mm Rimmed case. Perhaps offering the ability of somewhat longer ranging. Given any limitations a double rifle may have of course. A 220 gr projectile in the 8x75RS would also not be lacking for moose, red deer and boar. And African plains game a little bit further out.

I can't see it listed on any site but it used to be.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Maximus
.275 member

Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: NitroX]
      #209842 - 02/06/12 05:04 AM

Yes there's something very appealing about the .375 flanged, but ammo availability is not good and it would have to be regulated with something. Norma load it in their PH range with thick jacketed bullets and I believe Kynoch do, but I think that's it over here.

9.3x74R is widely available with multiple loadings available from RWS and Norma. It would also be the right caliber for a German gun.

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #209844 - 02/06/12 06:08 AM

Maximus

Further to my post above, my heart said tell you to go 375 Flanged, a cartridge I love but ammo availability etc pushed me to the 9.3.

I have both and like both but nostalgia say's one and practicality says the other.

Good luck in your choice.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #209878 - 02/06/12 06:38 PM

Maximus, this is entirely down to one thing I can think of, .375 flanged and 9.3x74 are ballistically almost identical BUT if you are taking the rifle to Africa in a lot of that part of the world, one is legal, the other not ! Both are available in Europe, Norma load the flanged .375, many companies load the 9.3 but you are not going to find either in Africa so availability is neither here nor there, I would get the .375 flanged and buy 1000 rounds of Norma ammo just in case they cease it !
best, Mike

Maximus
.275 member

Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #209895 - 03/06/12 01:11 AM

I'm so tempted to go with .375 Flanged, but the Norma PH loading is heavy jacketed for DG. A bit tough for boar and stags?

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #209896 - 03/06/12 01:19 AM

If you are going to load for you other rifle why not load for the .375? The choice of bullets is amazing.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

bakposten
.300 member

Loc: Norway
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: mickey]
      #209910 - 03/06/12 03:00 AM

I would have bought a DR in 7*65r for the purposes you mentioned. More than enough gun for European wild bore, moose and everything else you will find in Europe. And combined with the 500 NE in Africa, the 7*65r would be perfect on plains game when the distances creep out a bit. If I wanted a bit more punch maybe the 30R blaser, but 7,65R gets my vote.

Maximus
.275 member

Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: bakposten]
      #209983 - 04/06/12 12:22 AM

.30R Blaser looks interesting but is a high pressure round. Besides there's something very appealing about big heavy bullets at moderate velocity. It just seems the right decision in a double.

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

ccmdoc
.224 member

Reged: 26/02/08
Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #210013 - 04/06/12 07:24 AM

Nothing wrong with the 9.3x74R for all the reasons already stated, I've had two of them.
I've also ad a 30R Blaser - also a great cartridge.

Having said that, I'd go with the 375Flanged - just because I like it a great deal.

No bad choice amongst those mentioned.

--------------------
NRA Lifer; SCI member
.224WBY through .416WBY plus 600OK
Verney-Carron 375Flanged, 577NE & 600NE

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

bakposten
.300 member

Loc: Norway
      #210016 - 04/06/12 07:33 AM

I got the heym models switched up in my head, and thought the one you where after had a jäger lock, since not the 30r blaser are out of the question for me to. I agree with you to a certain degree on the philosophy of double rifles with heavy bullets in moderate velocities, but I just tried an Austrian made double (can`t remember the name though) in 7*65r and fell in love with it. It handled great, and felt so light and nimble, almost like a kipplauf. But 375 flanged ain`t a bad choice either.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #210020 - 04/06/12 08:23 AM

Quote:

As stated in another thread I have a new .500NE in build which will be ready next April. I will take this gun to Tanzania in July for a buffalo, elephant and plains game hunt.

As much as I am looking forward to firing the .500NE it's probably not something I will do every week. It's also a tad heavy for wild boar in Europe So I thought about getting another lighter double and am very interested in the Heym 88B. I've visited the Heym factory and handled many of their double so am quite happy with what they offer within this sector of the market.

I will use this second rifle for European hunting - boar, stags and maybe moose, if I get the opportunity. It will definitely have a scope fitted on claw mounts - a Zeiss Victory HT 1.1-4x24 - mounted as low as possible.

But what calibre? My instinct is to go with 9.3x74R. It packs enough punch for Europe and in a fairly lightweight package recoil should be easily manageable. It might not be the flattest shooting round if I did decide to take it to Africa for plains game, but I'm not sure any other calibre would be more suitable. Maybe .375 Flanged? Here is the list of what is available in the 88B.

| 30-06 | 30R Blaser | 7x65R | 8x57 IRS | 8x57 IRS | 8x57 RS | 9.3x74 R | 375 H&H Belted | 375 H&H Flanged |

Any input would be very welcome

I have seven double rifles, and the only one that is one of two chambered for the same cartridge is a 9.3X74R. The 9.3X74R is the double that I use more often than any of the others,because when hunting everything but the big five, it is the most all around rifle and cartridge. I think in Europe it would be even more useful than in North America, and it covers me here perfectly. The 9.3 rifle I use most is a side by side Merkel 140E-1. In my opinion the 9.3X74R is best used with the 286 gr bullet exclusively! no need for any other bullet, as it will cover from titmouse to mastadon with softs or solids.

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

DoubleRifle999
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/12
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #210210 - 06/06/12 06:54 AM

I think I will bring this one back to life since I too am "thinking" about a second double rifle (even though I don't have my first one yet..!!!)

So, Maximus....Have you decided?? If so, what was the final discriminator you used to make your choice?? And, one other thing...I have read all of your posts (I think..) about this and the .500 as well. The question was asked (and I want to know as well..) since you made it plain that you enjoyed reloading and were planning to do so for the .500-----Are you planning the same process for this gun as well?? If so, why so much worry about availability of factory loads in Europe?? If so, it seems the .375 with its massive selection of available bullets would have the edge...??

Thanks....

--------------------
...Howard...

Have tool will travel..

If you are not part of the solution,....You are part of the problem!

Maximus
.275 member

Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: DoubleRifle999]
      #210214 - 06/06/12 07:53 AM

Have I decided on calibre? No, although the 9.3x74R remains a firm favourite. I still have a soft spot for the .375 H&H Flanged though.

Yes, I will reload for this gun so in theory availability of factory ammo is not so important. However, reloading for doubles is not straightforward and I may need to rely on the factory load the rifle is regulated with.

In the case of .375 H&H flanged there are few choices. I can only find Kynoch and Norma and the Norma offering uses heavy jacketed Woodleighs which would not be my choice for thin-skinned game.

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

DoubleRifle999
.224 member

Reged: 06/02/12
Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #210225 - 06/06/12 10:05 AM

Right. I understand the circumspection about the Woodleigh bullet choices. I personally like the Woodleigh bullets, but as you say, they are quite heavily built. I have recently been looking at Kynamco's offerings for my .470 (or maybe .500..??). They are a little on the pricey side, but available in 5-packs so you could always keep just a few around for emergencies (in case your loader breaks.. :-) ) Also I like the fact that Kynamco has stayed very close to all of the original Kynoch loadings.....Either one would be great, I just lean toward the .375 flanged and I can't really tell you why!! I think the biggest factor for me is the availability of potential projectiles......so many choices, so little time!

Anyway, congrats on your new .500 and maybe the next one won't be far behind.

--------------------
...Howard...

Have tool will travel..

If you are not part of the solution,....You are part of the problem!

Maximus
.275 member

Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: DoubleRifle999]
      #210380 - 08/06/12 02:03 AM

I've made a decision on calibre for this second double rifle, subject to there being no surprises when I revisit the Heym factory next month.

I'm going with the .375 Flanged Magnum.

Reasons? Quite a few. None of them substantial but combined they tip the balance.

1 - A little faster than the 9.3x74R making it a touch flatter shooting.
2 - Good bullet choice for reloading.
3 - It could be used in Africa for tough stuff, if required.
4 - I really want a gun in this calibre

I think that's about it

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #210384 - 08/06/12 03:33 AM

Enjoy!

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #210395 - 08/06/12 05:03 AM

Maximus (welcome to the NE by all means) - while your arguments under No 1,2 & 3 are - IMO - "Argumentum ad Hominem" No 4 is all it takes - have fun!

P.S. While .500 shines in the Jesse and on Ele, scoped double in "thirtiesh" caliber may prove essential on Buff...

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: 93mouse]
      #210396 - 08/06/12 05:09 AM

Join my club, a .500 and a .375 flanged best

Maximus
.275 member

Re: 2nd double - calibre choice? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #210400 - 08/06/12 05:26 AM

Quote:

Join my club, a .500 and a .375 flanged best

Mike, which ammunition and bullet weight is your .375 regulated with?

--------------------
SCI Helvetia Chapter
Find us on Facebook

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 29833

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com