Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued.
      #209487 - 30/05/12 08:48 AM

After a major headache and hassle with FedEx I finally received my 45-120 conversion DR from 12 ga. by J White Gunsmithing. Four years plus and 4000 USD later... well, let me just say if I wasn't a guy I would cry and am still thinking about it despite the fact that I am a guy.

Please learn from my mistake. It took me several years to save this money and I had to wait over four years to receive this.

Sorry for the multiple links. This is my second photo post and needless to say my head is not at its clearest at the moment.

Edited by CptCurl (30/05/12 12:10 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: Mauser416]
      #209489 - 30/05/12 09:02 AM

I am so-sad that THIS happened to you. $4,000??????????????????????????????????? Oh My God! What a terrible job they did!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
      #209490 - 30/05/12 09:04 AM

Mauser416 I'm really sorry. "BUBBA" is the word that comes to mind right off the bat with the first photo. I'd think hard about getting a lawyer. My condolences.

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: casper50]
      #209492 - 30/05/12 09:21 AM

Right now I have a tall Mojito. Since I am in Texas and he is in Maine a lawyer will be $10,000 up front. Kinda of a Pyrrhic victory to win the case only to find out that he cannot refund my money and recoup legal expenses.

Call me a kind-hearted moron.

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Mauser416
.300 member

#209493 - 30/05/12 10:25 AM

If you have had past dealings with Jim that have proven unsatisfactory or if you have been left hanging for the past few years with no means to contact him, phone calls not returned, emails not answered please contact the Maine Attorney General - Customer Mediation service at 207-626-8849 or toll-free at 1-800-436-2131

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Mauser416
.300 member

#209494 - 30/05/12 10:39 AM

Guys I am wrong it is not $4000 that I am out. I have the original 12 ga. barrels and mono-block in tact so I am just out $3000 for his work, fours plus years of waiting and too many missed "other opportunities". I wish I had the pleasure of dealing with the Sabatti issues about now. I did get a nice plastic, Contico gun case when it was returned to me.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #209501 - 30/05/12 11:00 AM

I suggest we all leave a nice message on this guy's website guestbook and on his assfacebook wall if he has one.
That, and posting the pictures of his work on every forum available as an advisory against hiring him.
Then go to Maine and shove those barrels right up his ass...sideways...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
      #209502 - 30/05/12 11:09 AM

Man. My condolences. That's just criminal.
I know Boilermakers who could do a better job.
Shooting, the perpetrator of this mess, with both barrels, may give satisfaction.

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

prairie_ghost
.300 member

Reged: 19/07/08
Loc: casper, wy
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: AFRO408]
      #209505 - 30/05/12 11:35 AM

I sent a message via email. Suggest everyone else do the same and link this site to other posts. Mauser416 deserves a full refund- let J Smith keep the gun to show prospective customers and Reel 'em in boy!!

MaxGera
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/12
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: prairie_ghost]
      #209507 - 30/05/12 11:48 AM

This is a joke... Right?

I'll make you a free wall plaque... Whose head you put on it, is up to you!

Edited by MaxGera (30/05/12 11:56 AM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: MaxGera]
      #209510 - 30/05/12 12:09 PM

That is a disgrace. I wouldn't trust those barrels to be safe to shoot.

J. White Gunsmithing - Call that gunsmithing???

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

MaxGera
.275 member

Reged: 15/02/12
Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: CptCurl]
      #209512 - 30/05/12 12:13 PM

I just sent them an email, this butcher should not be allowed to work on a lawn sprinkler.

--------------------
To get things done, stop talking and start doing!

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: MaxGera]
      #209513 - 30/05/12 12:13 PM

MaxGera,

I wish today was 1 April and this was a prank. Unfortunately it is not, This is the culmination of several years of grief and hassle.

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #209514 - 30/05/12 12:25 PM

Sorry to see that. It is disgusting.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: 500Nitro]
      #209520 - 30/05/12 04:21 PM

Casper50 you are doing grave disservice to the meaning of BUBBA when using it to describe this conversion. I still think Mauser416 is having us on. This just has to be someone playing a joke.

That said I will take you at your word Mauser416 that this is for real but, excusing my language, it can only be described as a complete and utter f..k up. I have never ever seen any engineering work of any kind like this let alone gunsmithing.

I don't know that I would raise a tear or whether I would just sooner laugh myself into hysterics in seeing this. Sorry Mauser416 I do honestly feel for your obvious devastation.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: eagle27]
      #209522 - 30/05/12 04:57 PM

Holy Christ Mauser416, is there not a system in the US where you can hire a lawyer on a no win, no pay basis, at least you would get your $4000 back, I wouldn´t even dream of shooting that as I value my hands, sorry, Mike

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #209524 - 30/05/12 05:11 PM

I haven't posted on NE much here anymore, but reading this post made me want to post something.

These pictures actually made me feel sick in the stomach, literally. I've not got much money and if I had saved up for years and received this in the post, I think I'd have to calm down for a few days first before I contacted this supposed gunsmith. Asking for you money back is just the beginning here I think, how the hell do you trust any gunsmith from then on?

My sincere condolences to you, Mauser 416.

Regards,
David.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #209533 - 30/05/12 07:09 PM

mauser 416...i know this is a hard pill for you to swallow ,,but if you were looking at his work on his site before hand it is obvious that hes not a talented gunsmith and just a glorified tinkerer,,he probably impresses his friends in the boondocks of maine ,which is easy to do and keeps him going ,,it looks to me that hes more interested in getting the gun to operate(if it even does that ) than the appearence ,, how did you find him anyway??....paul

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: pjaln]
      #209535 - 30/05/12 07:31 PM

Terrible job. Sorry to see it.

Did you express your dissatisfaction and what was his reaction>

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: NitroX]
      #209578 - 30/05/12 10:59 PM

I found Jim about five or six years ago. There were a few folks doing shotgun to DR conversions but most were busy. I had found some people who had work done by Jim and were pleased. He and I talked on the phone and laid out a course of action. As I was traveling out of the country quite a bit at the time a decided to send my Cz to him so he could start when my time came. I wanted to finalize details before the work began. He was to send me some close up photos of the gun he was working on and then he was to contact me before he started mine. About a year later I received an e-mail informing me that he was almost finished with mine and also provided an anticipated delivery data a month or so away. I saw concerns on Castboollits forum about Jim and work on a revolver around this time. After failing to deliver I contacted Jim and mentioned that I hadn't had a chance to review and approve design details. At this point communication became a problem. E-mails were answered after long delays or at times never. Photos were promised, but never came, so I could review and guide the build and a few more delivery dates were promised and missed. In mid-2010 I was diagnosed with cancer. Later that year I contacted Jim to try to get an idea of a delivery date and in hopes of settling up with him financially as I didn't know how much surgery and such would cost. After two or three e-mails in this vein he responded. After this communication stopped dead cold. No e-mails no phone messages. After about a year of this I contacted the Main Attorney General-Consumer Mediation Service. They use volunteers to handle their cases. My case agent didn't have much luck in contacting Jim either. After a couple of months, I was finally contacted by Jim. Apparently the BATFE had said his gunsmithing license was no good and told him he needed a manufacturing license. During this year+ he decided to communicate with no one until his new license was ready to avoid being accused of doing business without the proper license. His license was ready in mid-2011 but the BATFE did not give it to him until the end of the year at which point he finally contacted me. Communication was still difficult and still no pictures and very limited details. The "Cigars for all" post contained the first and only pictures I received. Another missed delivery data and "be ready in a month". Then, over the last few weeks better communication and yesterday receipt of the rifle.

I didn't expect a Heym or Merkel and realized that the cost of the Cz plus $3000 wouldn't get me one. I did expect symmetry, a properly fitted extractor, a forearm hanger that at least looked machined rather than chopped out, etc. When I sent my money the only things I had heard of Jim were positive.

I will admit it was STUPID to send him $3000 up front. This decision was based on 1. having the money accumulated 2. my long duration foreign travel 3. understanding some of the difficulties gunsmiths encounter and wanting to help and 4. being a trusting and kind-hearted albeit foolish individual.

I asked for my money back as part of the mediation filing. Jim said he couldn't pay as he had been out of work for over a year with the BATFE licensing issue. I have conveyed my thoughts to him and am waiting for a reply.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #209579 - 30/05/12 11:52 PM

Speachless in BC. Well, almost.
I sincerely hope you get healthy, Erik.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

RogerRoger
.224 member

Reged: 16/04/11
Loc: Western Australia
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: DarylS]
      #209584 - 31/05/12 12:17 AM

Sorry, my heart goes out to you
Send it back and get him to test fire it with proof loads, as a manafacturer I would think that it would have to be proof fired before he could release it.
I would love to see the vidio of him doing the proof firing.
I think it will kill the problem
Cheers
Roger

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: J White Gunsmithing - Gigars for all - continued. [Re: RogerRoger]
      #209586 - 31/05/12 12:26 AM

I don't know that he fired a proof load but he did work up a regulating loads. He was supposed to send pictures of the rifle being fired but those never materialized.

--------------------

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #209595 - 31/05/12 01:17 AM

Mauser416,

I'm very sorry to see that you have had such an experience. Back in my tool and die maker years we had a term for people such as this J. White, "Chop Jock". From what I see he couldn't even qualify to cut meat. I hope you end up with something in the way of restitution/compensation out of this mess.

Regards,

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: J White Gunsmithing - Cigars for all - continued. [Re: Mauser416]
      #209609 - 31/05/12 04:32 AM

We should all learn from this experience, never buy anything until you see what you are getting for the money. J. White should never call himself a gunsmith; has he no pride, obviously he doesn't. He should be ashamed of himself! I have seen some other American "gunsmiths" who should never work on anything more complex than a paper clip, but this guy takes the cake, setting a new record for lousy workmanship.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 40130

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com