Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: kamilaroi]
      #204174 - 01/03/12 05:10 PM

I have a SxS Zoli in 9.3, awesome gun.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #204175 - 01/03/12 05:11 PM

is that fixed regulation mate??

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #204176 - 01/03/12 05:15 PM

If asking me, yes, fixed regulation.

I adjust the reloads (or did, haven't shot it for a while) and can get two bullet weights to shoot to the same POI.

It has a detachable scope on it which is nice.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: 500Nitro]
      #204177 - 01/03/12 05:52 PM

Kamilaroi, funny you say that, I´ve never picked one up but have heard other people say they didn´t like the balance on Ovundos. I´m visiting the new premises on Monday, flying to UK today, will come back with a brief report, best

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #204178 - 01/03/12 06:14 PM

There is no reason an O&U can't ber made to balance the same as a SxS of the same weight.
I do know that at 8lb 6 oz my 450/400 weighs less and balances much better than the typical 9 1/2 to 10 lb, muzzle heavy English SxS rifles of the same caliber.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: 458Win]
      #204179 - 01/03/12 07:19 PM

Mr Bailey,

Yaama

IIRC my experience handling such was with a 318WR and (maybe) a 360 #2. Note that Westley's had a clause abt doubles the need to manufacture same to cope with "modern high pressure" rounds (abt 1920?) in a catalogue so I'd imagine that they were catering to the trade, esp continental.

FWIW I found the Ovundo somewhat "clubby" and muzzle heavy and I'm over 6 foot and fairly athletic. IIRC I do remember that the barrel profile from the breech to abt 15 inches out was fairly stout.

Yiyaalu.

K.

Edited by kamilaroi (01/03/12 09:45 PM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #204215 - 02/03/12 03:45 AM

Looks like Perrazi all have single trigger.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: 4seventy]
      #205575 - 20/03/12 07:29 AM

4seventy,
If you compare your Rizzini DR action to the Perazzi, I think you'll find that they are vastly different in design.
I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the Rizzini, just that it is a different action design compared to the Perazzi.

Perazzi incorporates many strengthening features in their O/U actions compared to other Italian makers.
The Perazzi DR action shown in the link is a very good design indeed for handling rifle cartridge pressures.

It features very thick bolstered sidewalls, the hinge trunnions are supported by the knuckle, axial load on firing is taken mainly by the (large) lump radius, barrel bites are integral to the monobloc, and are positioned nice and high, and locking bolts are located deep within the action frame.

Perazzi does, indeed, incorporate strengthening features in their o/U action, but so does Rizzini!

You say the Perazzi "features very thick bolstered sidewalls," (So DOES THE RIZZINI) the hinge trunnions are supported by the knuckle (SO IS THE RIZZINI), axial load on firing is taken mainly by the large lump radius (SO IS THE RIZZINI, AND RIZZINI HAS TWO LARGE BARREL LUMPS EXTENDING DOWN THROUGH THE ACTION FRAME THAT TAKE CONSIDERABLE FIRING STRESS, barrel bites are integral to the monobloc, and are positioned nice and high (SAME AS RIZZINI), and locking bolts are located deep within the action frame (SAME AS RIZZINI).
As I said, the majority of Italian O/U actions today, are built on same basic action type, varying only in insignificant ways.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #205576 - 20/03/12 08:17 AM

At the risk of being moaned at for going off topic, I too am impressed by Rizzini, I bought a young 17 year old a 12 bore O/U last year as a birthday present, he proceeded to put 1500 cartridges through it in 2 days with nary a hitch and shot it well too, he was over the moon. The italians IMO do O/U better than anyone else and if I was buying a single trigger I would only want to buy italian, best, Mike (ducking cos I know I´m going to get grief on this

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #205598 - 20/03/12 07:32 PM

Quote:

I did compare the two actions, and I fail to see "vastly different design" you speak about. What I do see is vastly similar disign, with only minor differences.

Perazzi does, indeed, incorporate strengthening features in their o/U action, but so does Rizzini!

You say the Perazzi "features very thick bolstered sidewalls," (So DOES THE RIZZINI) the hinge trunnions are supported by the knuckle (SO IS THE RIZZINI), axial load on firing is taken mainly by the large lump radius (SO IS THE RIZZINI, AND RIZZINI HAS TWO LARGE BARREL LUMPS EXTENDING DOWN THROUGH THE ACTION FRAME THAT TAKE CONSIDERABLE FIRING STRESS, barrel bites are integral to the monobloc, and are positioned nice and high (SAME AS RIZZINI), and locking bolts are located deep within the action frame (SAME AS RIZZINI).
As I said, the majority of Italian O/U actions today, are built on same basic action type, varying only in insignificant ways.

doubleriflejack,
Is there any chance that you could post a photo of your Rizzini DR which shows the features you mention?
I did a bit of searching on the web but couldn't find a photo showing the trunnions, bites and bolting etc.
thanks

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #205718 - 22/03/12 09:25 AM

DR Jack,
The photo below is a 12g Rizzini. Is the DR action similar to this?
What differences are there between this action design and the Rizzini DR action?
Thanks

Edited by CptCurl (22/03/12 11:55 AM)

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Perazzi Announce a Double Rifle [Re: 4seventy]
      #206019 - 27/03/12 05:55 AM

I have no cameras of any kind, and, even if I had one, I have no idea at all about how to post pictures. Comparing one dark side view picture of a Rizzini 12 ga., to their Rizzini double rifle is foolish, because one can see only a small fraction of overall action interior, etc. BUT, the double rifle looks sort of like the 12 ga. I have had my double rifle Rizzini apart, so I know it well throughout. However, I have no idea if the 12 ga. has barrel lugs, one on each lower side, that extends down through action frame, to function as recoil shoulders, as does their rifle action? Batista Rizzini is a trained machinist who knows "his stuff," and he makes a fine o/u double rifle that has interchangeable parts that make it a simply proposition to keep double rifle as tight as a rat trap, even in moderately intense cartridges, for double rifles, such as the .30-06! The Italians dominate the entire o/u double competition worldwide, at both high and low ends.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 21771

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com