Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: davidindallas]
      #215345 - 24/08/12 06:15 AM

I picked up a Sabatti 450/400 Ejector at Cabela's-Buda this past Saturday. While talking with the folks at the Gun Library they mentioned that the newer guns that are properly regulated, i.e. no dremel work, have an X at the end of the serial #. Mine has an X.

I took it out for the first time today and managed to get my R/L spread down to about 3/4" vertical and horizontal at 25 yards after getting a hang of shooting it. I do need to color the front sight insert for better contrast and the comb is a bit high for me but to me it was money well spent.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: Mauser416]
      #215351 - 24/08/12 08:58 AM

I posted this response in another thread sometime ago, but for those that didn't see it I will repeat.
I finally had Cabela's replace the original rifle I had. The rib at the muzzle started to lift, it was sent to Florida for repairs and I doubt anything was really done to it. Upon receiving it back I put a scope on it to see if it would group that way and within 20 or so rounds the rear of the top rib came loose, could actually lift it up 1/2", this is when I discovered the barrels were blued under the rib! Indicating to me that they were so done before the rib had been attached. This is when the s**t hit the fan so to speak. The people at Cabela's were very nice and went out of their way to settle the problem. I opted for a replacement rife in the same caliber.

The new rifle is a shooter,factory ammo (Hornady) shoots within 2-3" composite group at 50 yards, however handloads with Privi 286 gr bullets will shrink that group in half. The only thing I don't like about he new rifles is the "Opti wood" stocks. I have restocked mine and waiting for the checkerer to get the wood back to me, can't wait. Its not real fancy but has color change through out with a moderate amount of fiddle back and the grain runs nicely through the wrist.

If this rifle is any indication, I think Sabatti has decided they needed to make some changes, my serial number doesn't have an "X" in it but it will do the job nicely. When I selected this rifle, I went online to every Cablea's gun libary and looked at the regulating target, selecting the one that seemed to have the best target, if they didn't post a target with a rifle it was not considered, right/wrong or indifferent it seemed to work for me. There no grinding at the muzzle.
Bob

Edited by aromakr (24/08/12 09:00 AM)

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: aromakr]
      #215356 - 24/08/12 10:14 AM

that place in florida is a joke had a purchase order they never honored and i am so thankful of it now they have no idea on how to work on a double so any repair done there well all i can say is good luck cheap is cheap my dad taught me at a young age he said son its always cheaper to but the oats when they have gone through the horse .........

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Mauser416
.300 member

#215360 - 24/08/12 10:55 AM

Quote:

The only thing I don't like about he new rifles is the "Opti wood" stocks. I have restocked mine and waiting for the checkerer to get the wood back to me, can't wait. Its not real fancy but has color change through out with a moderate amount of fiddle back and the grain runs nicely through the wrist.

Bob,

Who did you get to do the stock work for you? The comb on mine is much to high.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

aromakr
.375 member

#215367 - 24/08/12 02:04 PM

Eric:
I did the stocking myself, we have a local gunsmith that has a duplicating machine, he duplicated the original stock to very close spec's, from wood that I had, and I completed it. I'm not a pro by any means but have stocked several stocks for myself and a couple of friends.
Bob

Mauser416
.300 member

#215397 - 24/08/12 10:17 PM

Thanks Bob. I'm trying to find anyone nearby who can properly fit a stock. We have a gun shop in town that used to have some experienced skeet/trap shooters and could do the job. I went by there the other day and the guy told me I only needed to concern myself with length of pull as the rest was unnecessary.

--------------------

aromakr
.375 member

#215408 - 24/08/12 11:57 PM

Eric:
Sorry I can't help, you really need to be present to get the proper fit, or a set of measurements can be used. It sounds like I would be looking for another gun shop to deal with.
Bob

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #215410 - 25/08/12 12:07 AM

coles in maine and florida top notch stock maker

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: bwananelson]
      #229072 - 20/04/13 01:12 PM

Interesting post from AR. I nearly fell off my chair
when I read it.

"Interestingly quite a few members of our club (Big Game Rifle Club of Australia) have bought Sabatti doubles. One or two may have been in 9.3x74 but mainly in 450/400NE, 450NE and 500NE. In the first instance most seemed pleased with them. They looked nice for the price but some had the muzzle grinding which you discussed. This seemed odd as Sabatti put out a video showing them regulating their doubles in a fairly conventional fashion? Not withstanding that they seemed to shoot reasonably well.

The real problems seem to have come as they have been shot more. Early reports had the muzzle wedges and filler (which appears to be a metalized epoxy) falling out and now more serious problems of ribs coming off! I am also told Sabatti so far have been very unhelpful in regard to warrantee work.

I would be interested to hear more of the US experience with the Sabatti doubles"

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: 500Nitro]
      #229077 - 20/04/13 02:11 PM

^ Frankly I'd be interested to see what action the Oz importer took (or not).

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: kamilaroi]
      #229080 - 20/04/13 05:29 PM

Quote:

importer took (or not).

Sadly, I think the information you are after is in
my post above

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
      #229083 - 20/04/13 07:36 PM

Quote:

Interesting post from AR. I nearly fell off my chair
when I read it.

"Interestingly quite a few members of our club (Big Game Rifle Club of Australia) have bought Sabatti doubles. One or two may have been in 9.3x74 but mainly in 450/400NE, 450NE and 500NE. In the first instance most seemed pleased with them. They looked nice for the price but some had the muzzle grinding which you discussed. This seemed odd as Sabatti put out a video showing them regulating their doubles in a fairly conventional fashion? Not withstanding that they seemed to shoot reasonably well.

The real problems seem to have come as they have been shot more. Early reports had the muzzle wedges and filler (which appears to be a metalized epoxy) falling out and now more serious problems of ribs coming off! I am also told Sabatti so far have been very unhelpful in regard to warrantee work.

I would be interested to hear more of the US experience with the Sabatti doubles"

Ooooooh, that's not looking so good.....

aromakr
.375 member

Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #229085 - 21/04/13 12:46 AM

Excess:
I think Sabatti has cleaned up their act. It was the early guns that had the problems outlined above. I had one of the early ones and now one of the new ones. A lot of difference, it regulates well and I have put probably 300 rounds through it, couldn't be happier,.
Bob

MotelAlpha
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/13
Loc: Maryland,USA
      #229087 - 21/04/13 12:58 AM

I agre, this is my second Sabatti. The firsat one not to please with, but this new gun with the OP mark on the pistol grip shoots very well indeed, and the wood is comparable to any high end gun I've seen.all for $3000.

--------------------
Pro Deo et Pro Patria

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: MotelAlpha]
      #229136 - 21/04/13 06:15 PM

I wasn't very clear but I was responding to 500s notes of the results of continued use....

I'm interested in how it all (hopefully doesn't) shakes out.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #230303 - 21/05/13 08:10 AM

I now have three of the big bore Sabatti double rifles; none with muzzle grinding, a .470, a .500, and, my last purchase, a .450/.400. They all shoot as well as my best English doubles, such as Westley Richards .375 I have. Yes, I have done some custom work on all three, simply because I enjoy working on doubles. Mr. Sabatti, the owner of the firm in Italy, was interviewed some time back, and he freely admitted that foolishly did the muzzle grinding on some of the rifles for one of the earliest initial large orders from the Florida importer (for Cabellas, obviously), because they were pressured into filling that order within a specified time, so took the shortcut in trying to fine tune regulate ones not regulated well enough initially for that order. He said that they learned from that tragic experience, and that they would never make such quick shortcuts again, no matter how much pressure was put on them, because he said, it creates too much difficulty from damaging their reputation. I have constantly examined a number of Sabatti double rifles over the past few years, and to the best of my knowledge, the muzzle grinding issues were, indeed, done only on early serial numbered ones, probably on that initial large Cabellas order, while newer ones simply no longer show such horrible butchering. To the best of my knowledge, no other issues have come up with the big bore Sabatti doubles, but we continue to see many guys who focus wholly on the one time muzzle grinding issue, and clearly want to discredit the Sabatti brand, and go out of their way to do so. If you want a Sabatti, examine it carefully, in good light, see to it that there is no muzzle grinding, and you will more than likely be pleased with your purchase. I like all of my Sabatti rifles, and would buy another without hesitation. They are well made of the finest materials, and will hold up as well as any of the modern doubles available today. However, I know that we will continue to hear from the Sabatti haters!

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #230304 - 21/05/13 08:16 AM

doubleriflejack

I think most of the "haters" as you call them have moved on
and now agree that the Sab's are an OK double rifle.

Which is what we all wanted in the first place, me included.

Good to hear you have 3 of them.

Ckhobart
.275 member

Reged: 26/06/13
Loc: Reno, NV
      #238713 - 05/12/13 07:25 AM

As somebody who sells a fair few Sabbatis, I'm glad I could read this and get some first hand knowledge on their long term durability.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #238714 - 05/12/13 07:39 AM

"Early reports had the muzzle wedges and filler (which appears to be a metalized epoxy) falling out and now more serious problems of ribs coming off"

I am skeptical, though, I suppose, it could have happened. Personally, I have taken the ribs completely off, and removed the muzzle regulation wedge too, on two different Sabatti doubles, one a .450/.400, and the second a .450 NE, and re-regulated them, by installing a mid point regulation wedge, and a longer muzzle wedge, so I know how those two examples were put together, using normal soft solder as commonly used by double rifle makers from day one, no epoxy, etc. Many others I have examined carefully, and I found no epoxy,metalized or otherwise.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: Ckhobart]
      #238715 - 05/12/13 07:40 AM

ck

Have you seen the video from Sabatti of them "regulating" one ?

I post it in the other Sabatti thread.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #238716 - 05/12/13 07:58 AM

I suspect that to the casual observer the broken solder might look like broken epoxy.

Warming it up with a torch would have told the tale.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #238754 - 06/12/13 01:11 AM

Quote:

I now have three of the big bore Sabatti double rifles; none with muzzle grinding, a .470, a .500, and, my last purchase, a .450/.400. They all shoot as well as my best English doubles, such as Westley Richards .375 I have. Yes, I have done some custom work on all three, simply because I enjoy working on doubles. Mr. Sabatti, the owner of the firm in Italy, was interviewed some time back, and he freely admitted that foolishly did the muzzle grinding on some of the rifles for one of the earliest initial large orders from the Florida importer (for Cabellas, obviously), because they were pressured into filling that order within a specified time, so took the shortcut in trying to fine tune regulate ones not regulated well enough initially for that order. He said that they learned from that tragic experience, and that they would never make such quick shortcuts again, no matter how much pressure was put on them, because he said, it creates too much difficulty from damaging their reputation. I have constantly examined a number of Sabatti double rifles over the past few years, and to the best of my knowledge, the muzzle grinding issues were, indeed, done only on early serial numbered ones, probably on that initial large Cabellas order, while newer ones simply no longer show such horrible butchering. To the best of my knowledge, no other issues have come up with the big bore Sabatti doubles, but we continue to see many guys who focus wholly on the one time muzzle grinding issue, and clearly want to discredit the Sabatti brand, and go out of their way to do so. If you want a Sabatti, examine it carefully, in good light, see to it that there is no muzzle grinding, and you will more than likely be pleased with your purchase. I like all of my Sabatti rifles, and would buy another without hesitation. They are well made of the finest materials, and will hold up as well as any of the modern doubles available today. However, I know that we will continue to hear from the Sabatti haters!

Good to read.

But I think that reported initial short cut is what has tainted their reputation and will continue to do so. Hard to build a reputation, easy to damage it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: NitroX]
      #238791 - 06/12/13 06:53 AM

"But I think that reported initial short cut is what has tainted their reputation and will continue to do so. Hard to build a reputation, easy to damage it."

--------------------

Fully agree. Mr. Sabatti, in European interview video I saw, said essentially the same thing, that they made a crucial error, in trying to fill that large initial order on time, and that it hurt their reputation and sales, so he said that it won't happen again. Obviously, they learned from it; one would think that they will not forget what they learned; time will tell if they are able to recover from it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #238824 - 06/12/13 05:46 PM

Then if one buys one of the newer rifles, without the older problems, one might well get a bargain. Or at least a well priced rifle. Good to know.

Regarding the reported Cabellas order in the USA and some of the rifles having problems, have we seen any of those problems with rifles in Australia? We have had reports of Sabatti rifles in Australia, some good reports, I forget whether there were any bad reports. We may have reports on these forums. Anyone remember or know?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Sabatti Double Rifles, Brickbats & Bouquets [Re: NitroX]
      #238830 - 06/12/13 07:29 PM

Yes, I know of three bad one's.

One doesn't shoot, I believe it did but it seems the POI
is changing as the bore wears and the grinding of the
muzzle changes.

The other two, one the rib came loose and the other
I can't remember.

I haven't chased info on them in Aus so could be more.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 112588

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com