Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Polar bear in camp and me without my DR
      #178491 - 07/04/11 04:08 AM

Good Day to All:

I am back working up in the tar sands of Northern Alberta operating a telescoping forklift on a plant construction site. These sites are carved out of the Northern Boreal Forests where the only things up here are Indians and critters.

On this site we have approximately 1500 men and women on two shifts. There are camps like this all over the Northern region, North of Fort MacMurray Alberta.

On Friday afternoon I am working with two fellows spotting for my machine while I move steel from one place to another. Of course I am intently watching my load to make sure it does not slip, when I look around and notice everyone remotely close to me is running like hell in the direction away from me. (No, I am not that dangerous of an operator ). Before I have a chance to turn around to see what is going on, the whole back end of my machine pushes down lifting my forks off the ground. I turn around in my seat and I am nose to nose with a frigggin Polar bear. The only thing separating us is a piece of windshield glass.

After taking a second to compose myself, I realized the bear was more curious than anything else. We basically stared at each other for a couple of minutes before he dismounted the back of my machine and wandered back into the forest.

I have been close to bears before but never a polar bear and never so damn close. And me without my double rifle.

My crew and I were talking with the wildlife biologist the company brought in and he said it was extremely rare for a polar bear to be seen this far South of their home range. He believes it is a result of global warming and the Polar bears are branching out looking for new territory to range in.

I can tell you that if the bear I saw got into it with a grizzly, there would be no contest. The Polar bear would mop the forest floor with a grizzly carcass.

I would have reported this sighting sooner but Friday evening I got hit with food poisoning and have been down-and-out until now. That's the problem with these camps. Viruses and infections run through the place knocking out men like a bowling ball making a strike on the pins.

Well, that's all for now. They fly us out on the 13th of April for a well deserved one week rest before we do it all over again. And I am sure you can guess what I will be doing the minute I get through the front door. Yup, you got it; straight to the gun room to fondle my favourite new Merkel 141. . I think I will even take a day and go do some more load testing.

What were you guys thinking. My wife will be at work when I fly in.

So long for now.

As always, comments, questions and criticisms always welcome.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

Madly Off In All Directions

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrdoktor
.275 member

Reged: 03/08/07
Loc: Spain
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: carpediem4570]
      #178492 - 07/04/11 05:05 AM

Well, Carpediem, I do not know what would happen in Alaska if a polar bear rides your machine, tries to have dinner with you and you shoot him. In Spain, if you do not wait to shoot until the bear is taking the dessert out of you, I am sure youŽll be in a jail more years than if you shoot your wife!

Best regards

Herrdoktor

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: herrdoktor]
      #178494 - 07/04/11 06:39 AM

Herrdoktor:

To be clear, this did not happen in Alaska, it was in Northern Alberta, approximately 700 kilometres North of Edmonton and aprroximately one hour North of Fort MacMurray.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
      #178495 - 07/04/11 08:31 AM

carpediem,

Great story! I can only imagine the sudden rush you had looking at that beast eye to eye. Perhaps the boss will let you strap your DR in beside you in the forklift. Stay safe!

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #178496 - 07/04/11 08:35 AM

Hi Carpediem,

I guess after all that time you had to "Fondle" something and the Merkel doesn't say "No, I have a headache"

Good story,

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: crkennedy1]
      #178497 - 07/04/11 08:36 AM

Thanks crkennedy:

But I will admit the sudden rush I felt was more a case of my lunch racing down my intestines and looking for the nearest exit.

I have to say, when I got my little Merkel 141, I thought, what am I going to do with such a small DR? Well, I have a nice spot picked out next to my seat in the cab. Too bad the management won't go for the idea.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #178499 - 07/04/11 10:56 AM

I recall reading a few articles a few of years ago when the debate was going on here in the US on whether or not to list them as threatened. My recollection is that Canadian bear counts indicated a booming population. It's possible that you are just seeing them push south for that reason. Regardless, stay safe, I wouldn't want to run into one of those things.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #178501 - 07/04/11 12:21 PM

Hello Chapuisarmes:
Your tongue-in-cheek always inspires me to greater heights.

SharpsNitro:
I don't know what's up with the population but it's the wierdest thing I've ever seen.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #178509 - 07/04/11 08:02 PM

Good story. It must have been exciting to be nose to nose with a polar bear.

Quote:

My crew and I were talking with the wildlife biologist the company brought in and he said it was extremely rare for a polar bear to be seen this far South of their home range. He believes it is a result of global warming and the Polar bears are branching out looking for new territory to range in.

These bloody 'scientists'. Global warming seems to be the "answer" for everything. Yeah right, polar bears are MOVING SOUTH because it is getting warmer? Shouldn't they be heading NORTH?!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: NitroX]
      #178511 - 07/04/11 08:40 PM

He forgot his compass.....

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #178512 - 07/04/11 11:10 PM

Quote:

Shouldn't they be heading NORTH?!

No, according to the tale spun, the sea ice {that they live on} is all melted and thus they must forage south on terra firma.

It's all bullshit, but not funny, either. Our entire economy here is being destroyed, yes, destroyed, by Department after Department of Federal Agencies adopting ecoterrorist policy and turning around to stop work in its tracks. It is a National catastrophe that most Back East do not understand at all. Enviroterrorism is Federal policy now and we are forced to give up our industry in the face of it. Feds trying to "create" jobs? Not on your life, they are the destroyers of employment nationwide, and in the rural West in particular.

As for polar bear in the driver seat, a question for Carpe; Let's say you are threatened by the bear, what options do you have to defend yourself?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (07/04/11 11:12 PM)

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: 9.3x57]
      #178519 - 08/04/11 01:18 AM

A quick search pulled up the articles linked below, they use population counts by the Canadian government that show the polar bear population has nearly tripled since the 1980s:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1ea8233f-14da-4a44-b839-b71a9e5df868

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1545036/Polar-bears-thriving-as-the-Arctic-warms-up.html

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #178521 - 08/04/11 02:18 AM

Quote:

A quick search pulled up the articles linked below, they use population counts by the Canadian government that show the polar bear population has nearly tripled since the 1980s:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1ea8233f-14da-4a44-b839-b71a9e5df868

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1545036/Polar-bears-thriving-as-the-Arctic-warms-up.html

Can't be true - Gore's greenies say they're dying off due to man-imposed global warming - Yup - we're going to the circus and then we're going to the zoo - then we're going to hong-kong to get some ice-cream - yup, yup, yup"

Those who remember that statement, along with Fat Albert's "Hey, Hey, Hey" from records and stage performmances, well, sucks to get old, eh?
(I've still go the records & no record player)

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

#178522 - 08/04/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Herrdoktor:

To be clear, this did not happen in Alaska, it was in Northern Alberta, approximately 700 kilometres North of Edmonton and aprroximately one hour North of Fort MacMurray.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

An hour from Fort Mack! Incredible - those guys might have some stories at Helfey Creek Rondy this year - they're most primitive prijmitives in camp - HAHAHA!

Yeah- could be due to population over-drive or wandering inland from disappearing icecaps. Wait till they discover ranchers & breed more with grizzlies.

--------------------
Daryl

Alberta
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Canada
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: DarylS]
      #178585 - 09/04/11 03:25 AM

Carpe, where abouts are you working??

I just started a new job with Suncor up at Firebag a few weeks ago. I am flying week in week out. Nice camp and my job seems not to bad so far. I am a process operator but I am working an office type job with the Commissioning and Start Up group for some of the new wells.

I would have never guessed there would be a Polar Bear this far south, never even crossed my mind..

Edited by Alberta (09/04/11 03:31 AM)

Anjin
.224 member

Reged: 08/04/11
Loc: JAPAN
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: Alberta]
      #178604 - 09/04/11 09:01 AM

I would take polar bears very, very seriously. They are ultimate predators.

Over 30 years ago, I took my kids to one of the old Ringling Bros. circus performances when they still had 3 rings. In one ring they had a spectacular bear act with a German or Czech guy and at least ten very large bears doing fairly modest tricks.

Grizzlies, browns, blacks -- all were in the cage and seemed fairly benign. Each was a big, fat specimen of its species.

Then they released an absolutely huge polar bear, must have been 10-foot tall. It did no tricks. The trainer left it strictly alone. Instead, it proceeded directly to the far end of the cage where an assistant fed it slices of bread through the bars throughout the performance. Then the trainer and other bears cleared out, after which the polar went back to its cage.

That made quite an impression on me.

--------------------
Norm Solberg
American Lawyer In Japan
NRA Life Member for over 40 years

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: Anjin]
      #178676 - 10/04/11 12:20 PM

Man, talk about a joke falling flat on its face. :bewildered:

Ok guys, time to fess up; this was an April Fools Joke. :bsflag:

Look back to the day of the posting. Then look to see what day the Friday was of the sighting. Yes, it was April 01. :animal:

I thought for sure someone would have called bullshit. Yes, Fort Mac is Northern Alberta but, we are a loooong way from the Arctic.

If it makes you feel any better, I got all the guys at my local gun store when I phoned the owner of the shop, who is a good friend of mine, and they all fell for it hook line and sinker. :rotflmo:

The gun shop is open late Thursday nights for all to come in and browse, drink coffee and buy stuff. My wife, who also fell for it but with great skepticism, went down to shop to break the joke. She is well known to all who frequent the shop. When she walked in, the conversation immediately turned to the polar bear sighting. She said, You mean the one on Friday? Of course, everyone agreed. She then said, Come on fellas, what day was Friday? The room went silent. After about a minute, the blind patron,(this is no joke; he is blind), says April 1st.

The comments that followed will not be reprinted here so as to not offend delicate ears. My wife was blushing all the way home. Needless to say, many of the explitives were directly linked to my name and my wife tells me to be very much on the watch when I come out for my days off. :sofa:

So guys, sorry. :homer: I guess it wasn't such a good April Fools Joke.

Kindest regards,

carpediem

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #178681 - 10/04/11 01:19 PM

Hilarious!!!!

Very funny CD.

But seriously, now, you got me thinking...

What COULD be done in CA if one was threatened by a polar bear?

I've seen pix of pb's in camps such as what you describe, and have always wondered what the options were for Canadians, and, for that matter, US'ians in AK.

Here we have the 10j rule for "non-essential-experimental" introduced wolves; can shoot if harrassing livestock or people, but for full ESA-protected wolves, no dice, must be in the act of attacking...and you must be able to prove it.

So what happends to the oil field worker who gets a love tap by a pb?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: 9.3x57]
      #178683 - 10/04/11 01:28 PM

Well done CD, you did well.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: 500Nitro]
      #178685 - 10/04/11 02:06 PM

We are on Native land where the mining and building is going on. The native councils have said everything you bring in, you take out. After you finish, you put it back the way it was. You see any wildlife, you report it. You find any bones or artifacts, you stop production until we get it sorted out.

If any bears or any other wildlife were to come through the camp, you had better hope the guy running beside you is slower and fatter than you are.

I think this will sum it up; I once saw a cartoon in Playboy, many moons ago. Two polar bears are standing over an igloo and one bear has his arm through the centre of the igloo and it's buried up to the armpit. He says to the other polar bear, Man I love these things; crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.

I don't even think anyone up here has a rifle on-site. Firearms are strictly forbidden on the work-site.

All of this by the way, is no bullshit. That's just the way it is. And you can bet your bottom dollar there are bears up here.

Kind regards,

carpediem

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#178748 - 11/04/11 02:08 AM

Got me - not the type to do April Fools jokes so hardly ever see them coming. Considering the reports of full adult Polar-bear/Grizzly hibrids with variations in colouration - about anything is possible.

Although Fort MacMuddy is a long way from the Arctic, it is not impossible for a hibrid to have wondered down there, so the story is plausible - all the easier to 'entrap' someone - especially me - HA!

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: DarylS]
      #178749 - 11/04/11 02:15 AM

Carpediem,

Ha ha, you'll keep.

I thought about bringing the whole site down as being hacked on April the First, but then decided it wasn't such a good idea.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Alberta
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Canada
      #178759 - 11/04/11 04:41 AM

Got me good, especially since I am working in the area.

The camp were I am at has about 3000 people on site, I doubt there is even 1 gun on site.

One of the training videos I watched showed a cartoon picture of a bear. Then it showed a cartoon picture of a hamburger. Then it showed a picture of the bear holding the hamburger and said "Don't feed the bears" and we all laughed. From the video I concluded the best bear defence is a good sense of humor.

Fontainebleu
.300 member

Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: norway
Re: Polar bear in camp and me without my DR [Re: Alberta]
      #196752 - 14/12/11 10:00 PM

Amazing story! I thought Grizzlies and Polar Bears were evenly matched size and strengthwise!
The grizzly does look more "bulky" !

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7059

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com