Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sabatti DR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: AfricaHunter]
      #161031 - 26/05/10 12:39 PM

Hi LionHunter,

Well done, I hope mine will arrive tomorrow God willing.... You say that the pad is useless ?? why, is it a cheapie...Funny you say about Cabela's request to regulate with Hornady, I asked the Australian Agent the same thing as the .450 N.E. 3.25" is also regulated with Kynoch but we can not purchase it in Australia or the powder that Kynoch use, the Cases and projectiles are no problem as we have what Kynoch use here.

Good luck with the rifle and keep us up to date with the results of the shooting tests.

Cheers from Australia,

Jeff Gray

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #161032 - 26/05/10 12:40 PM

LionHunter,

Let me be the first of many to congratulate you on your new rifle! Whenever you find time, please do post some pictures here.

Congratulations again, and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #161052 - 27/05/10 12:39 AM

LionHunter, Ditto - let us know how the rifle shoots and we'd love to see some pics.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Sabatti DR [Re: crkennedy1]
      #162818 - 26/06/10 11:33 AM

You were absolutely correct, the recoil pad supplied is "Shit" so hard that it useless as a recoil suppressant. I also had a new one fitted to match the style of the rifle.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

doubleriflenut
.300 member

Reged: 27/11/08
Loc: Chile
      #162822 - 26/06/10 12:15 PM

Far too light for caliber! I had a 465 H&H Dominion grade that weighed in @ 10.5 pounds and it kicked like an indignant camel! On the other hand my Rigby 470 weighed 11.8 pounds and was a dream to shoot! My 476 Westley weighed 11.4 pounds and was also very pleasant to shoot. The rifle needs to have sufficient weight to caliber to be a comfortable gun to shoot.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Sabatti DR [Re: doubleriflenut]
      #162826 - 26/06/10 12:34 PM

Hi Doubleriflenut,

Quote:

Far too light for caliber! I had a 465 H&H Dominion grade that weighed in @ 10.5 pounds and it kicked like an indignant camel! On the other hand my Rigby 470 weighed 11.8 pounds and was a dream to shoot! My 476 Westley weighed 11.4 pounds and was also very pleasant to shoot. The rifle needs to have sufficient weight to caliber to be a comfortable gun to shoot.

The Sabatti in .450 N.E. 3.25" weighs in at 10lb but the caliber gives more of a solid push and not as harsh as the .458 Win Mag or similar but that's only my opinion.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #162840 - 26/06/10 05:36 PM

Around 10lbs imo is ideal for 450/470 doubles, in particularly if you intend to track Elephant where you carry the rifle far more than fire it.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: ozhunter]
      #162852 - 27/06/10 12:57 AM

Anyone know if they are available here in AU and what they are worth?? Wouldnt mind a crack at the 9.3

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #162856 - 27/06/10 02:45 AM

Quote:

Anyone know if they are available here in AU and what they are worth?? Wouldnt mind a crack at the 9.3

Matt,

Try http://www.shshooting.com.au/

See this thread:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=160814&an=&page=0&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #162857 - 27/06/10 04:16 AM

On my .500 NE and .470 Sabatti rifles, I put on much better recoil pads, the kind that push on, upward from the bottom, for ease in getting it on and off easily/quickly, when I want to access the throughbolt for removing action. I stripped the butt and forend wood, putting on best London hand rubbed oil finish, and it helped bring out the smokey black grain a lot; now it looks great. I hated the shinny varnish like crappy spray on finish. I also put on, steel pistol grip caps, and took the trigger guard off, milled off its attachment piece, TIG welded on an extension, and ran it all the way to the steel grip cap, screwing it on with two screws; now it looks much better.That action is outstanding, best alloy steel, thick where needed, and will hold up through hell and high water, proofed at 30 to 50 percent over max. for .416 Rigby, because same action is used in all calibers they chamber this rifle for, and .416 Rigby is one they chamber it for. I think it is an excellent modern double rifle, and on we will hear more about as time passes. It should hold up well over time, if the double Purdey underbolts hold up to hammering through the years---only time will tell.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: Sabatti DR [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #162873 - 27/06/10 09:32 AM

Hi doubleriflejack,

It sounds like you have gone "Above & Beyond" making your Sabatti's a real personal item. Is there any chance of some pictures as I think that all of us "Sabatti" owners would be interested.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

doubleriflejack
.333 member

#164358 - 17/07/10 05:21 AM

Sorry, have no camera at all, and wouldn't know how to post pictures if I did. I hate cameras, and am way too busy working on all my double rifles, making them the way I want them. My latest alteration, covering my recoil pads with black leather, so my Sabattis look better yet.

Ironscot
.224 member

Reged: 14/08/07
Loc: Indian Nation
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #164874 - 24/07/10 01:03 PM

I had the opportunity to handle one of the Deluxe models down in Futt Wutt a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. The stock finish looked so so, not quite what I expected from the pictures but can be remedied with a strip and rubbed oil redo. The engraving was tasteful and the french gray wasn't at all bad. Really well done case coloring sans engraving is what spins my crank. Even the little whatsit that guards the top lever was pretty cool in person. One standing and two folding leaves were nice. Action fit was nice as was wood to metal. Splinter forend would definitely be a future mod.

Whether or not this tidbit means anything to anyone else is subjective. I pick a point and mount the gun with my eyes closed then open them and if the sights are aligned on that point with a natural mount that's gravy to me. The Sabatti did and a beautiful little Chapuis didn't. I know it's a matter of stock fit, but when shekels are as hard to come by as they are around here, every little expense spared is bonus. The one I looked at was chambered in .450 3 1/2 which made it terribly tantalising. It balanced well, though the exact weight is unknown. You'd have thought they would have a scale. (Shoulda gone and borrowed one from the fishing dept. Doh!)

All in all, if the dogs had better accomodations around here it might have come home with me. As it is I'm just checking out current market prices on extraneous well used internal organs and stashing loose change in the meantime.

I really like the sound of what doubleriflejack is doing to his. Bears some considerin' for the future. For the money I'd consider it a buy.

P.S. Looked at the .45-70 Basic too. Most of my two twos have more metal at the muzzle than they do. Think I'd rather part with the kidney and go nitro deluxe if the choice was to be made.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: Ironscot]
      #164881 - 24/07/10 02:21 PM

The 9.3 x 74R is nice but too thin at the muzzles. (and the foresight base and rib needs a good tickle)

davidindallas
.224 member

Reged: 24/07/10
Loc: Texas
      #166283 - 16/08/10 06:28 AM

I bought a 9.3 at the Cabelas in Buda yesterday. I agree with all the comments on the wood finish. It's functional but apt to be improved. I'm curious about the comments that the barrel is too thin at the muzzle. Is this a cosmetic complaint? I can sort of see that but it seems fine to me. The action is tight but not to a point that bothers me. This should be good fun. Frankly, I kind of like the fiber optic sights. I can see why they'd drive a traditionalist nuts.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: Sabatti DR [Re: davidindallas]
      #166311 - 16/08/10 09:00 PM

My source was a fella who has been around for years (a very knowlegeable collector of note). I think that his judgement may be based on the bearing surface available for final regulation (a soldered rib and wedge) and the chance that it may loosen. (and the issue of muzzle flip)

Edited by kamilaroi (16/08/10 09:01 PM)

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Re: Sabatti DR [Re: Ironscot]
      #166332 - 17/08/10 04:23 AM

I overlooked mentioning in my post above, but I did as "ironscot" did, in checking over my new Sabatti rifles in .500 and .470, closed my eyes, pulled each rifle up in firing position, opened my eyes, and was delighted to see sights lined up beautifully, showing rifles fit my extremely well, and I have no Italian in me at all! Now, my .470 has figure in stock, multiple streaks of smokey black, that far excel the .500, so much so that I think it is a fluke, an oddball, as I have tried to look at the stock figure on every one of the comparable deluxe models put up for sale by Cabellas online, and none of them came even close to figure in my .470. It shoots as well as it looks too, putting left and right on bullseye, about 1 1/2 inch apart at 50 yards. Shoots as well as a Westley Richards I have, and fits me as well as any of the other British, German, Belgian double rifles I have. I have now added a trap grip cap from NECG. Have added a bit of lead weight at strategic places in forend and stock, easily removable, for future experimentation to get as much weight, within reason, without upsetting point of impact. My .470 has ejectors, the same system originally designed by Frederick Beesley; sold to Holland and Holland, and used by them since, foolproof. Again, the whole of the action on the deluxe model of Sabatti contains only ONE coil spring, for the top lever, while other springs, mainsprings and ejector springs are good old traditional V springs of good quality and workmanship. All workmanship on my two is very well done. I have a large collection of double rifles from Britain and the continent, some being great old classics, yet I would buy a Sabatti deluxe model (not familiar at all with the cheaper Sabatti model, as I have none) at the asking price today, in a heartbeat---great value for money, and I expect the price to increase in the not too distance future.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24727

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com