Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What is typical factory accuracy?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
hoser
.275 member

Reged: 06/01/10
Loc: California, USA
What is typical factory accuracy?
      #149648 - 06/01/10 07:28 PM

Most doubles come with factory targets. What do you find to be typical accuracy from the factory? What do you consider "acceptable" (or are they not even allowed out of factory without being acceptable?)? I've notice a few that actually touch and others are about 1.5" or so apart (usually at 50 meters, I think).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: What is typical factory accuracy? [Re: hoser]
      #149649 - 06/01/10 07:41 PM

For me, 1.5" apart is fine from the factory with factory ammo.

I am more concerned that they are SxS and not one higher than the other.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: What is typical factory accuracy? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #149652 - 06/01/10 08:18 PM

Probably it depends on what factory built the gun, but 1,5" apart (not crossing) sounds quite good. I have seen doubles with a target that has an 65mm spread of four shots at 50m, it went out of the factory with that.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: What is typical factory accuracy? [Re: 450_366]
      #149738 - 07/01/10 12:03 PM

The test target that came with my Chapuis has the bullets 1-3/8" apart at 50 meters (not crossing). Nosler factory loads were just a little better than that, but even 1.5" is fine with me, as this a hunting gun, not a target rifle. Also, i'm a handloader, so if needed, it's no big deal to taylor some ammo to the gun.

DM

hoser
.275 member

Re: What is typical factory accuracy? [Re: DM]
      #151210 - 20/01/10 12:11 PM

I've seen a few test targets that have both shots touching at 50 meters. Is that a GOOD thing like it would be out of a bolt rifle?

okguy
.275 member

Reged: 07/07/09
Loc: Oklahoma
      #151287 - 21/01/10 03:37 AM

They shouldn't touch at any distance. I saw a photo of a .375 H&H (Mag or Flanged, I forget which), recent regulation target from Holland & Holland. As I recall, the group was something like 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" for six shots at 50 yards or meters.

Correct me if I am wrong, but theoretically,
the perfect target group would be:

1. Zero variation between the horizontal centerlines of the target holes. Like this (O O).

2. The distance between the vertical centerlines of the holes would match the distance between the vertical centerlines of the bores at the muzzle end of the barrels.

Of course, this implies perfect regulation, perfect ammunition, and perfect shooting. That leaves me out :-).

The left barrel should hit to the left of the point of aim and the right barrel to the right of the point of aim.

If you don't cant the rifle, jerk the trigger, etc., one barrel should not shoot above another, but there should be a bit of distance between the holes horizontally.

Measure the thickness between the inner walls of your barrels at the muzzle and add the bore diameter. If your target holes are less than this, you are crossing. If the holes are further apart, you are spreading.

However, with both vertical and horizontal impact dispersion, don't approach it as would a benchrest shooter, these are hunting rifles.

--------------------
Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Member - Double Rifle Shooters Society

srose
.300 member

Reged: 30/09/05
Loc: North Carolina
Re: What is typical factory accuracy? [Re: okguy]
      #151288 - 21/01/10 04:22 AM

The two barrels will have individual groups that should be super imposed over one another. This would be ideal. It doesn't happen very often. Every person holds a gun differently and thus the groups will vary in distance apart. A double should shoot each barrel in a group and the distance between the groups should only vary if the load varies. I big person that holds a gun tightly will typically shoot tighter than a small person holding the gun loosely. This is why you might shoot a better overall group than I do with a specific load. The loads can be adjusted to regulate for a specific shooter. Factory regulated guns are shot with a specific load under their standard conditions of firing the gun. This could be in a machine rest or held by a shooter. Most guns will shoot a good overall groups with the regulated load for most conditions. I have some doubles that will shoot individual groups of less than an inch and overall groups of 1.5 to 2 inches. This would be considered as good in my opinion. Others may have the two groups inside 3 inches. If a gun won't do that then the load needs to be changed. If the individual groups are all over the place and vary in distance apart then the gun probably needs to be regulated. That is if the person shooting it is doing their part. If a gun is out of regulation two shooters should get similar results.

Sam

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: What is typical factory accuracy? [Re: srose]
      #151292 - 21/01/10 04:57 AM

2 bullets touching might actually have the group centres crossing, or diverging, or one shoot above the other. More shooting is necessary to 'prove' points of impact - from any gun.

If each barrel was capable of shooting a 1" group, and 5 shots were fired from each barrel, the groups would not only touch from a .50 cal. rifle but the holes would also overlapp - this being from a gun that was perfectly regulated to shoot groups that were exactly bore centrelines apart, ie: perfect regulation as I understand it.

A 1", centre to centre group with a .50, can comprise a hole that, if the group is perfectly round (few are) that is 2" in diameter. Each barrel's 'group' will comprise a hole that is 2", although it might be a slot, oval or round.

2 shots on a target only gives a very rough indication of what the gun is shooting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (21/01/10 05:02 AM)

hoser
.275 member

Re: What is typical factory accuracy? [Re: DarylS]
      #151320 - 21/01/10 09:35 AM

I've PM some of you responders with a link to the target in question. I do not own the rifle so didn't think it prudent to post publicly.

If anyone else would can help me asap and let me know if the target in question is good or bad, let me know and I'll forward the link. Thanks!

vigillinus
.300 member

Reged: 11/12/03
      #152031 - 27/01/10 06:12 PM

IMO testing at 50 yards is OK for doubles to be used on elephant, but for lesser game and smaller bores testing should be at 100 and a four inch combined group is the minimum that is satisfactory.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3475

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com