Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AfricanHunter
.275 member

Reged: 01/02/04
Loc: Nebraska, USA
Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #152128 - 29/01/10 10:26 AM

Having used all three, I agree the .500 is a better choice, but I had mine made a little to heavy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
calpappas
.275 member

Reged: 15/10/09
Loc: Alaska, USA
Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: AfricanHunter]
      #153123 - 08/02/10 07:07 AM

Gents:
It's great to read all these opinions of the two greatest big-game cartridges of all time. It goes to show the timelessness of these two great rounds. While I have never owned a full nitro .577 (I've shot several) I do have some experience with the .600 and I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Recoil. When Bill Feldstein was developing the .700 H&H in the late 1980s it was determined that the most recoil an experienced shooter could tolerate was that of a .600 NE. To make the .700 have approximately the same felt recoil of the .600 the weight of the rifle should be 19 pounds. My theory (unsubstantiated) is that 110 years ago when the .600 was being developed (1899) it was determined the recoil of the .577 was about as much as a shooter could tolerate. So, to make the .600's felt recoil the same as the already popular .577 the weight of the rifles was to be 15 1/2 to 16 pounds. This makes sense to me, anyway. If one calculates the recoil of both cartridges with full house loads, the recoil figures are about the same if the rifles weigh 13 and 16 pounds. With the rifles in this weight category, one will not kick more than the other as long as the stocks fit the shooter the same.

Penetration. Everyone, beginning with John Taylor, has noted the .577 penetrates deeper than the .600 as most of the vintage bullets of the .600 were rather blunt. Some have asked why Kynoch and Eley didn't make the .600 bullet more pointed such as the .577s bullets. I have a theory about this, too (also unsubstantiated). There is no doubt the English make the finest guns in the world and they also invented big game hunting. They knew what they were doing in all aspects of firearms manufacture. I feel they developed the .600's blunt-nose bullet to avoid over penetration--if the bullet were more pointed it would pass completely through the elephant. I know the debate will go on forever about two blood holes or the bullet expanding all of its energy within the animal and it was debated 110 years ago.

Which is better. Neither or both--your choice. Both will kill anything on the planet but both will just wound with poor bullet placement. In my personal experience on buffalo with a .600 is this: when hit in the shoulder there is no difference that the critter being hit with a .375. It does not bowl the buffalo over. Most of the old hunters used these big rifles as backup and rarely used them as a primary rifles (Sutherland is one exception, Anderson is another). Today they are needed even less but they are fun. Owning an original .600 is the highlight of my hunting and collecting.

Cheers, all
Cal

--------------------

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
Cal's Log
CalPappas.com

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: calpappas]
      #352311 - 12/04/21 06:20 AM

The 600s blunt bullet was designed IMO for a hammer blow ,not penetration, to provide as much Shock Value as possible , in an emergency situation ,although it would make you wonder why a professional ivory hunter would need an expensive backup rifle that didn't get used very often, considering most professional shooters get pretty good at their job, with lesser calibers ,with all the daily practice they get .
Hunters in this day and age going on an expensive Safari, with expensive heavy double rifles cant afford to pay a Tip to a [I'm sure willing gunbearer $$$] ?? Taylor said ''Only using the heavy gun when closing on your beast ''.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: 500Boswell]
      #352343 - 12/04/21 07:56 PM

Back then, with the stopping power of the cartridge was effectively advertised. This also explains the special shape of the bullets.

I don't know why this cartridge was developed back then. They were as little needed as they are now. A. Alphin writes in his Book that, for the modern big game hunter, the 600 is no more suitable than it was for non professionals hunters in Taylor's day. The majority of the professional ivory hunters was formerly satisfied with their DR caliber 577 Nitro Express.

Nevertheless it remains a special event to shoot with a DR of this caliber and why not, to hunt with it as well. One don't need a rifle like that, but it stands as the symbol of an era and with a mystique which is difficult to outdo. I also have one in my gun safe.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: grandveneur]
      #352345 - 12/04/21 08:07 PM

I believe our NE friend Colin/Ahmed577 has a .600 NE on I think it is a Jeffery DR? Graham Williams had it with him at the BGRC Nationals in Darwin. I have a photo somewhere I have never shown on the forums. Will be hard to find on all the various HDDs I have of photos. Will source it one day when doing a "catalogue".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: NitroX]
      #352346 - 12/04/21 08:14 PM

The initial question was actually 577 vs 600 Nitro which is the best.

I would therefore answer that, for many reasons, for clients and also for a PH it would be more the cartridge 577 Nitro Express.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352347 - 12/04/21 08:17 PM

David shooting his .600 NE.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=177019&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352348 - 12/04/21 08:18 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352349 - 12/04/21 08:18 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#352350 - 12/04/21 08:19 PM

I had the pleasure of having a shot with David's rifle at that shoot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

grandveneur
.400 member

Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: calpappas]
      #378327 - 04/08/23 03:24 AM

Quote:

Gents:
It's great to read all these opinions of the two greatest big-game cartridges of all time. It goes to show the timelessness of these two great rounds. While I have never owned a full nitro .577 (I've shot several) I do have some experience with the .600 and I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Recoil. When Bill Feldstein was developing the .700 H&H in the late 1980s it was determined that the most recoil an experienced shooter could tolerate was that of a .600 NE. To make the .700 have approximately the same felt recoil of the .600 the weight of the rifle should be 19 pounds. My theory (unsubstantiated) is that 110 years ago when the .600 was being developed (1899) it was determined the recoil of the .577 was about as much as a shooter could tolerate. So, to make the .600's felt recoil the same as the already popular .577 the weight of the rifles was to be 15 1/2 to 16 pounds. This makes sense to me, anyway. If one calculates the recoil of both cartridges with full house loads, the recoil figures are about the same if the rifles weigh 13 and 16 pounds. With the rifles in this weight category, one will not kick more than the other as long as the stocks fit the shooter the same.

Penetration. Everyone, beginning with John Taylor, has noted the .577 penetrates deeper than the .600 as most of the vintage bullets of the .600 were rather blunt. Some have asked why Kynoch and Eley didn't make the .600 bullet more pointed such as the .577s bullets. I have a theory about this, too (also unsubstantiated). There is no doubt the English make the finest guns in the world and they also invented big game hunting. They knew what they were doing in all aspects of firearms manufacture. I feel they developed the .600's blunt-nose bullet to avoid over penetration--if the bullet were more pointed it would pass completely through the elephant. I know the debate will go on forever about two blood holes or the bullet expanding all of its energy within the animal and it was debated 110 years ago.

Which is better. Neither or both--your choice. Both will kill anything on the planet but both will just wound with poor bullet placement. In my personal experience on buffalo with a .600 is this: when hit in the shoulder there is no difference that the critter being hit with a .375. It does not bowl the buffalo over. Most of the old hunters used these big rifles as backup and rarely used them as a primary rifles (Sutherland is one exception, Anderson is another). Today they are needed even less but they are fun. Owning an original .600 is the highlight of my hunting and collecting.

Cheers, all
Cal

Since we are by the topic DR caliber 600 Nitro Express, a good statement from Cal Pappas about those very big bore DR.

Cal Pappas sadly passed away last year, but his statement fits perfectly furthermore when it comes to these weapons and their use nowadays.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: gatsby]
      #378341 - 04/08/23 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I spoke to a well known and infamous PH this weekend, who claims the 600NE is far superior to the 577NE, as well as everything else when it comes to DG.

BS-

I wonder if this hunter as fired an 8bore rifle packed with 12 drams + 1400grain of hard lead??.

You will never convince the "nitro" guys but I believe a big 10 to be equal a .600 and an 8 or a big 4 well.....

so if bigger is best; What is best?

Cool! As I have a 10-bore!

Somehow I think a .577 3" or .600 would be far harder hitting.

A round ball 10-bore even if hardened, can not have the same section density. Looking simply at the bulket weights, a 10-bore nominally is 700 grs only.

All this was argued and settled 130 years ago.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (05/08/23 12:04 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: grandveneur]
      #378342 - 04/08/23 09:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gents:

Snipped

Since we are by the topic DR caliber 600 Nitro Express, a good statement from Cal Pappas about those very big bore DR.

Cal Pappas sadly passed away last year, but his statement fits perfectly furthermore when it comes to these weapons and their use nowadays.

GV, Thanks for this. As I was going to look for the images of David shooting his .600.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: 577 vs 600 nitro which is the best [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #378343 - 04/08/23 09:41 PM

Quote:

Agree, but Woodleigh FMJ .577 750gr SD=.313
whereas Woodleigh FMJ .600 900gr SD=.334
So which should penetrate further...?

Easy to answer. Simple physics, at the same velocity, equal construction, the heavier SD will always penetrate more. So the .600.

The above difference in SD is not great however.

Bullet shape may have some influence: spitzer; pointed; semi pointed; round nose; flat point. Many argue variously over this, alleged "scientific" bubble arguments, alleged test results etc etc.

Showing a single test result from a non independent tester on a website is just advertising and PR.

Testing and proof is determined from independent sources and a significant number of equivalent tests.

Irrespective of this the higher SD in theory will penetrate more.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15974

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com