Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope for DR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
WCF
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: georgia
Scope for DR
      #149116 - 30/12/09 11:25 PM

I'm considering the purchase of a Trijicon Accu-Point Rifle Scope for my Remington/Baikal Double Rifle. The scope I'm looking at is the 1.25-4X24 with the single post. Unsure which color reticle at this point.
Have any members had any experience with these scopes and if so is there a preference to the color of reticle (Amber, Green, Red)other than personal.
Thanks in advance for any information.

respectfully
wcf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Biebs
.224 member

Reged: 21/12/09
Loc: NJ USA
Re: Scope for DR [Re: WCF]
      #149120 - 31/12/09 02:24 AM

WCF, I tried the Trijicon at last year's Dallas safari Club show, and found it to be the best scope for a DR, IMHO. I think the color is just a personal thing...I would choose red, as we are conditioned to be drawn to that color, but don't really think it matters. Great scopes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Scope for DR [Re: Biebs]
      #149168 - 31/12/09 04:32 PM

I purchased one of these earlier in the year to put on my Tikka 9.3. The scope is not that traditional looking but then neither is the Valmet/Tikka so it should be OK.

From their website:
NIGHTFORCE NXS COMPACTS

1-4 x 24 NXS
If hunting big, dangerous game is your passion, there is no better scope on the market to keep the odds in your favor. Its low profile complements big bore bolt action and double rifles. At 1 power, it is as quick as open sights and vastly more precise, allowing you to shoot with both eyes open. Your field of view is a full 100 feet at 100 yards, providing instant target acquisition and precise shot placement. It is designed for hunting dangerous game at close quarters, in dense brush, and for running targets. It is one of the few scopes in the world that will withstand repeated recoil from the largest magnum calibers

SPECIFICATIONS

1-4x24 NXS

Magnification: 1-4x
Objective Diameter:24mm
Exit Pupil Diameter: 16mm @ 1x 6mm @ 4x
Field Of View: 100ft @ 1x 25ft @4x
Eye Relief: 3.5in (90mm)
Internal Adjustment Range: 100moa elev. 100moa wind.
Click Value: .250moa
Tube Diameter: 30mm (1.18in)
Ocular Diameter: 33mm
Mounting Length:5.4in
Weight: 17oz (1-4x)
Overall Length: 8.8in
Reticles: NP-1, FC-2, Mil-Dot

The reticle I use:

But I haven't sourced suitable 30 mm rings for mounting it yet, so can not comment on use yet! Need to have some basic gunsmithing work done on it too, especially minor fitting of some new barrels. But can't do without the shotgun until after the 2010 waterfowl season! No doubt will work very well.

I like as close to true 1x scopes for big bores, and for rifles to be used on close in hunting or brush hunting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (01/01/10 02:21 AM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Scope for DR [Re: NitroX]
      #149190 - 01/01/10 01:02 AM

An excellent choice is the 1.25 x 4 Schmidt & Bender 30mm scope. Nice clean lines and brilliant optics.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Scope for DR [Re: CptCurl]
      #149191 - 01/01/10 01:17 AM

But this is my all-time favorite by a wide margin:

Certainly you will agree this scope well preserves the vintage and antique qualities of the arm and is so pleasing to the eye!

It can be yours:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=10473

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
      #149193 - 01/01/10 01:26 AM

I've found the Swarovski 1,25-4x24 "battue" scope ideal for running shots when drive hunting. Here mounted on my FN-Browning CCS25 in 9,3x74R.

Better yet, the later PVI-2 (illuminated reticle) model I installled on my Blaser 9,3x62

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#149204 - 01/01/10 02:19 AM

Quote:

Certainly you will agree this scope well preserves the vintage and antique qualities of the arm and is so pleasing to the eye!

It can be yours:

Curl

Your sarcasm is noted.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
      #149205 - 01/01/10 02:23 AM

My experience with Trijicon has been with some of their tactical scopes - all very positive. Of the colors you mention I think green looks brightest in the scopes, perhaps because it is closest to the color of the tritium used. However, you might pick a color that you think will stand out best against the terrain and animals you will most encounter. For my neck of the woods that would be red to stand out against fir trees and grey deer.

--------------------
~

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Scope for DR [Re: Grenadier]
      #149208 - 01/01/10 02:56 AM

I'd like to try one of these on my 9.3 double as well, and/or perhaps on my barrel set in 7mm/12g. Anyone tried one?

From their website:

Trijicon RMR™

When precision is the only option, your best option is the Trijicon RMR™ Sight. Built to provide optimum red-dot visibility against the target, you can acquire and hit your target quickly and more accurately.

The new Trijicon RMR™ (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) has been introduced to match the legendary toughness of the Trijicon ACOG® (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight).

It can be teamed up with the ACOG® or AccuPoint® for the ultimate in fast target acquisition or precise aiming at extended distances.

The RMR™ offers two illumination configurations. One choice is an innovative LED (light emitting diode) insert that automatically adjusts for brightness in any lighting situation and ensures optimum visibility of dot against the target. The second option is a dual-illuminated, battery-free model featuring Trijicon fiber optics and tritium. Accuracy is further enhanced with adjustments for windage and elevation and clarity is assured with the sight’s ultra-clear, hard-coated lens.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
      #149221 - 01/01/10 07:04 AM

Nitrox:

I have used the almost identical Doctersight (http://www.analytik-jena.de/de/DOCTER/Produkte/Reflexvisier__230/). Those types of sights are the best for shots on moving game in my opinion because you perceive the aiming dot just like iron sights (meaning no visual distraction from a scope). Those also sit as low as iron sights, which means they are perfect for doubles that are set up for irons sights rather then scope in respect to stock design). Certainly quicker sight aquisition then scopes or aimpoint devices. First time you try those on a gun will make you smile.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Scope for DR [Re: 404bearslayer]
      #149257 - 02/01/10 02:44 AM

Thanks 404... ,

I invited Bob Pretty from Trijicon in Australia to join this thread but haven't heard yet from him, being NY's etc.

Bob at the last SHOT Show had an intriguing idea to setup a double rifle with a low powered varible in QD mounts but also allow one of those sights to also be mounted.

I thought the idea was great so acquired the Nightforce scope (sorry Bob ) but would like to try out one of these other sights as well, if the scope mounts/bases/grooves etc can be worked out.

Would work well on my Tikka U/O dr in 9.3x74R and one of these sights might be perfect on the Tikka U/O in 12 g / 7x65R, especially considering the use of shotgun and rifle barrel combination.

PS Sorry about the thread hijack but if BP turns up he can discuss the original thread post too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Re: Scope for DR [Re: WCF]
      #149295 - 02/01/10 01:13 PM

Since I didn't want to purchase a scope that cost twice as much as my rifle, I went with a 1.5 x 4 Barska European scope for my Baikal. Of course if the scope fails me, it won't be a matter of life and death...maybe a missed hog or deer, not a charging elephant.

--------------------
Life is for Service

Edited by tarawa (02/01/10 01:16 PM)

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Scope for DR [Re: tarawa]
      #149307 - 02/01/10 04:39 PM

Hey Tarawa:

I just purchased a Baikal 45-70 DR sxs.

I was going to buy a Leupold scout scope in 2.5 x 28 however,after seeing this Barska, I have some questions:

The bottom photo, is that DR mounted with the 1.5 x 4 Barska European scope?
What is the eye relief on the scope?
Do you have the proper eye relief with that scope mounted to your DR?
Do you think the scope will take the recoil of a 45-70?

I look forward to your reply.

Kindest regards,

Carpediem

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #149318 - 02/01/10 09:43 PM

Quote:

It can be yours:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=10473

Curl

You're a funny man, Curl ... Now put us out of our misery: You did it in Photoshop, didn't you?

Edited by Paul (02/01/10 09:45 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#151222 - 20/01/10 02:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks 404... ,

I invited Bob Pretty from Trijicon in Australia to join this thread but haven't heard yet from him, being NY's etc.

Bob at the last SHOT Show had an intriguing idea to setup a double rifle with a low powered varible in QD mounts but also allow one of those sights to also be mounted.

I thought the idea was great so acquired the Nightforce scope (sorry Bob ) but would like to try out one of these other sights as well, if the scope mounts/bases/grooves etc can be worked out.

Would work well on my Tikka U/O dr in 9.3x74R and one of these sights might be perfect on the Tikka U/O in 12 g / 7x65R, especially considering the use of shotgun and rifle barrel combination.

PS Sorry about the thread hijack but if BP turns up he can discuss the original thread post too.

Calling BwanaBob ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
      #151228 - 20/01/10 02:35 PM

John,

Thanks and I am sorry I didn't jump in earlier but work commitments have had me tied up for a while and I haven't visited the site for a while.

I will answer the questions on the use of scopes/RMRs on double rifles shortly but I will take a few photos of my setup first and use them in my answer.

In the meantime, I have just made some comments about the use of Trijicon Accupoints, on large calibre rifles, on another thread on this site and it maybe worthwhile reading them until I get my double rifle photos completed. In this thread, I have made a few comments about reticles colours, too.

That thread is: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=146661&an=0&page=0#Post146661

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

Edited by BwanaBob (20/01/10 04:54 PM)

nitro450exp
.333 member

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Scope for DR [Re: BwanaBob]
      #152620 - 03/02/10 01:27 AM

I put a Trijicon on my K-gun and also made a mount for a Doctor Red dot.
I have been happy with both so far.
Have not shot it as much as I would have liked too.
Been collecting ammo and brass, finally ready to do some load development,
then I can do the final sighting adjustments.
Will add some pictures when I figure it out.

--------------------
"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall

45/70 DR / 12ga Paradox
470 NE DR
12 Bore DR
20 Bore DR
450 NE SR
577 NE SR

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com