Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #144378 - 25/10/09 04:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I do not think it is fair to categorically blame Barnes for their bullets in this sense. If the dimensions of their bullets are compatible with the internal dimension of the barrel shooting them, they'd be safe.

I can't agree with the above portion of your premise. As I told you, both of the rifles I referred to were slugged. The Barnes bullets used in both actually measured very slightly under groove diameter of the bores in both. OSR occurred quickly in both.

Did you check neck relief {OD of loaded rounds} and chamber length, OAL and land origin? Is it posible the bullets were pressed into the rifling before firing?

Also, are you certain chambers were concentric and not cocked or seated bullets misaligned in some way that the bullets were presented to the leade in misalignement with it?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144379 - 25/10/09 05:11 AM

Quote:

Did you check neck relief {OD of loaded rounds} and chamber length, OAL and land origin? Is it posible the bullets were pressed into the rifling before firing?

Yes. All that was done before the rifle was ever fired with anything. Min chamber/max cartridge neck dimensions are especially important in doubles, because most all of them made before the late '70s were cut for the original Cordite ammunition, which usually had very thin brass in the necks. With today's heavier brass, a tight fit is not uncommon, so it's crucial to check it. The bullets were seated off the rifling, as I've found doubles typically regulate better that way.

Quote:

Also, are you certain chambers were concentric and not cocked or seated bullets misaligned in some way that the bullets were presented to the leade in misalignement with it?

Quite certain.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Raff
.300 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
      #144380 - 25/10/09 05:44 AM

Can someone tell me when the OSR problem first came to
notice? It seems to me to be fairly recent but I'm just
not sure.
Thanks in Advance.

Raff

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Raff]
      #144381 - 25/10/09 06:17 AM

As the guys at Hollands's have pointed out - about the time mono-metal bullets in double rifle calibers appeared.

Quote:

"Firstly, Russell (Wilkin of Holland & Holland) points out the fact that double rifles operated without problems for 75 to 100 years. However, late in the twentieth century these problems started to manifest themselves. The only change was the use of a different projectile material"

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #144384 - 25/10/09 08:07 AM

Quote:

I agree with your theory exactly. I've kept my hand close to my chest maybe for too long, in the hope that somebody out there had run a number of experimental tests that could be uncovered and reviewed.

The only people who would have an interest in doing tests would be Barnes sine they seem to cop all the blame and really, is it that important to them ?

I would say NO and Barnes seems to indicate that they aren't interested by saying the bullets are fine because
no one can blame them.

Their are plenty of other excellent bullets on the market.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 500Nitro]
      #144385 - 25/10/09 08:48 AM

Quote:

No over .40 Flanged Nitro Express has a CIP MAP that high (save the .500/.416, which operates at 45,000 PSI with normal loads). So, we know that the bullet can't obturate, for two reasons. The material used is too hard, and there's no compressible core. Barnes says the bullets are slightly undersize, which I don't contest. That helps, but it can't be an answer. A hard .407" mono that has to pass down a .400" bore/.408" groove barrel still has a lot of metal to displace - metal that Barnes specifically states is difficult to displace - in order to conform to the bore. In the thin tubes of a double rifle, that's almost a guarantee of problems.

Now THAT makes a lot of sense, best, Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #144391 - 25/10/09 09:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No over .40 Flanged Nitro Express has a CIP MAP that high (save the .500/.416, which operates at 45,000 PSI with normal loads). So, we know that the bullet can't obturate, for two reasons. The material used is too hard, and there's no compressible core. Barnes says the bullets are slightly undersize, which I don't contest. That helps, but it can't be an answer. A hard .407" mono that has to pass down a .400" bore/.408" groove barrel still has a lot of metal to displace - metal that Barnes specifically states is difficult to displace - in order to conform to the bore. In the thin tubes of a double rifle, that's almost a guarantee of problems.

It does and it's pretty basic stuff.

If the driving bands of this bullet described here were the only part of the bullet that met the .407 diameter {.001 under groove depth}, and they were designed correctly, and the rest of the bullet was merely bore riding, there should be no problem at all, even in a thin tube rifle, assuming the charge is worked up to carefully, SOP of course.

I can certainly see how the full groove depth of the bullet, the shank diameter, or the driving band surface area, any of them whether by themselves or in concert together could cause problems. Since {I think} doubles in the older NE calibers vary quite a bit in chamber, leade and bore dimensions, the onus would certainly be on the shooter to make sure modern bullets fit the gun and don't cause any damage. I say modern bullets, and not just Barnes, because it seems we have ever greater numbers of "hard" bullets on the market, some expanding, some "solid". This predicament will probably only get worse as higher and higher performance bullets are demanded by shooters and/or laws require non-lead bullets.

It is interesting, because though in this case it is easy to look back to the "golden years" when just about any bullet was safe for use in a double, it can't be forgotten that many of the old bullets were criticized for poor terminal performance...

Certainly a company like Woodleigh can be commended for sticking to tried and true, but one here has warned against the overuse {?} of their solids, and from what I have seen of them sectioned, I can certainly understand that. Again, personally, I'd check dimensions with a fine tooth comb before shooting any of the hard ones, or really, any bullets at all! I guess being ignorant about doubles might have its advantage, because I have read so much about the wide variations and non-standard chamber/leade/bore dimensions that I'd be checking any bullet at all for every dimension...from cast to jacketed...just like we do with cast bullets.

Is this not always done by old double shooters? Seems like the old guns should be treated like an old wall-hanger front stuffer to me. I mean, just who says Federal .470 {or any other modern maker} is going to fit every .470; old Belgian, Brit, German, whatever, not to mention the reborn moderns. No, I'm not throwing a rock at Federal, but I really wonder. Maybe I'm wrong and the old NE guns are all the same, but I don't think so.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #144397 - 25/10/09 03:33 PM

Quote:

Meaning, a "safe" mono bullet is a bullet that has an undersized shank and bands that allow the displacement of the metal impacted by the lands. BUT.......that bullet must fit the GUN.

I will agree with that.

I worry that the bullet first shown below has such thick bands that the barrel must bulge to let the bullet pass, and the grooves simply reduce contact area rather than serving as a location to receive the material displaced by the rifling lands.

This bullet appears better able to engrave as the driving bands are thin and the materials is easily displaced into the grooves behind the thin bands.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 500grains]
      #144402 - 25/10/09 06:08 PM

Quote:

This bullet appears better able to engrave as the driving bands are thin and the materials is easily displaced into the grooves behind the thin bands.

yes dan

But i have seen pictures of the north forks with rather deep engravings in the shank as well,the answer is really not that hard to figure out, less bands and deeper groves to make sure that no harm will come to anybodys gun, but since nobody makes them yet, apparently it is hard to figure out

best

peter

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: peter]
      #144403 - 25/10/09 06:14 PM

Peter,

The thing is, the DR market is so small compared to the rest of the shooting market, is any company going to put a whole heap of time and money into it for not a large return ?

Especially when you have very good bullets out there already ?

And on top of that, people like me who have spent the time and effort developing loads with Woodleighs (and other bullets) who are unlikely to go through the process again
just to try a new bullet ?

Which MAY damage a very expensive gun ?

peter
removed

#144404 - 25/10/09 06:31 PM

nigel

i agree and i only shoot the good stuff (woodleighs) as well, but it is true that a time may come when we are only allowed to shoot those pesky mono's, if that time comes i would like to be sure that a bullet is there, that is safe to shoot without damaging the barrels of my guns.

best

peter

500Nitro
.450 member

#144405 - 25/10/09 07:13 PM

Peter

Good point.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #144407 - 25/10/09 10:26 PM

Quote:

nigel

i agree and i only shoot the good stuff (woodleighs) as well, but it is true that a time may come when we are only allowed to shoot those pesky mono's, if that time comes i would like to be sure that a bullet is there, that is safe to shoot without damaging the barrels of my guns.

best

peter

And it will come, sadly im sure of that.

So what about your design is it a secret or are there any info.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 450_366]
      #144416 - 26/10/09 02:17 AM

North Fork will make whatever diameter you want. I spoke to them once and they can make softs with a minimum order of 5000 plus die cost (>$1K) but can make solids with no tooling cost. If there is sufficient demand they add them to their line. That would be the way to go IMHO

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #144418 - 26/10/09 02:42 AM

As long as the shaft does not contact the die, the North Forks I've resized slip thru a drawing die as easy or easier than a lead core soft.

I know there might be disagreement here, but I am still about 99.9% sure the trouble that may be caused by copper-alloy monos involves dimensional incompatability of some part of the bullet with the gun, not the mere fact that the bullet is a copper-alloy solid. Personally, I think the shaft diameter is the problem, not even really the driving bands {within reason}. Check out the truncated cone of that NF pic'd above and you can see the almost immediate relief in front of the driving bands, and essentially no portion of the bullet afore the DB's is "bore riding". Meaning, nothing to jam into the rifling of a gun whose interior dimensions are "out of spec" to the bullet, so-to-speak. In effect, this type of bullet, due to the hardness {advantage} of copper alloy, can be designed almost the opposite of modern cast bullets with their long bore riding portions. The thing looks almost like a Pope bullet from the old days.

A long bore riding portion shouldn't be a problem in a gun that fit it/that it fit, but some guns might have rifling/bore/groove dimensions that would not be compatible with a production mono sporting a long bore-riding portion {or a shaft diameter that got into the lands}. In such a case, "one size does not fit all".

I have a big hunch this whole "OSR" topic {probably under a different name} has been fully documented and experimented by Ordnance engineers, particularly during autofrettage experiments and process development {in pursuit of thinner/lighter artillery barrels} and/or AP round development, probably the former, but I can't locate such documents. Maybe others can? It is a hunch, anyhow...

As the saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun, especially true in my opinion about anything involving The Gun. Unfortunately we do not have anybody with past or present artillery ordnance education here?

This whole topic has panned out in the opposite of the way I figured it would. Most of these things seem to be eventually handled cleanly when somebody with technical expertise wades in and clears the air, oftimes it seems from a military engineering background. Maybe that person has merely not yet surfaced.

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (26/10/09 02:47 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

#144419 - 26/10/09 03:26 AM

I think a lot of arty rounds have a band around the base of the projectile which is what engages the rifling.

I'll have to check.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#144420 - 26/10/09 04:16 AM

Quote:

But i have seen pictures of the north forks with rather deep engravings in the shank as well,the answer is really not that hard to figure out, less bands and deeper groves to make sure that no harm will come to anybodys gun, but since nobody makes them yet, apparently it is hard to figure out

Exactly. Peter, I've seen the same thing with every brand of this type made. A .450 bullet - .450" bore/.458" groove - should have an internal shank smaller than .450", and a fewer number of THIN, full caliber bands deeper than .004". The metal is hard as a pair of good quality woodpecker lips, they don't need to be anything like as wide as they are on the Barnes "banded" bullet.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #144422 - 26/10/09 05:28 AM

I would think that evidence OSR would be most apparent in a vintage drilling IMO due to the usually thin barrel wall thickness and the abundance of soldered surfaces on the rifle barrel - especially if of the double shot barrel over the rifle barrel configuration.
California, being at the forefront of the lead ban, and where there is still a fair amount of boar and deer hunting being done will probably be the most likely place for these problems to originate (if we assume OSR is from monos and hunters will be required to use such bullets).
Taking into consideration that many combos are in a 9.3mm chambering, I bet there are more than a few shooting Barnes' (or another maker) monos right now.

Also, I am confused as to how a "egg in the snake" bulge can occur any further down the barrel than at the point at which the bullet is "swaged" to the land and groove dameters.
IMO, unless the bore is tapered, the bullet is sized to the rifling immediately after leaving the chamber. If not, then monos fired from a 24" barrel would be expected to be of a smaller diameter than if fired from a four inch barrel - which I suggest is not the case.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Huvius]
      #144423 - 26/10/09 05:44 AM

The only possibility would be that the bullet "springs" back to shape with an force stonger then the barrel when leaving the thick part at the breech, or somethink in that area.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

peter
removed

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 450_366]
      #144425 - 26/10/09 07:03 AM

Quote:

So what about your design is it a secret or are there any info.

no secret at all:
Sub caliber shank, thin ribs and not that many of them. wide nose with a bit of a curve on them as i find the square nosed ones ugly, this is just a project i have to do for myself, when there might be some time for it.

my biggest job is to gather enough data to determin how small the shank should be, as everybody and their uncle apparently is going for saami or cip spec. which we know wont cut it with the gems we have at home in the cabinet, and also i feel quite strongly that it shouldent cost as much as everybody else is charging for them.

so the two time consumers would be more data collecting and the testing on big nasty critters
last part is the good part though.

best

peter

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #144426 - 26/10/09 07:16 AM

Well over at the other place someone is not too happy with "our NE Darryl" and needs a good kick in the ring for his comments he has posted..Serve it up to him Darryl!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: gryphon]
      #144428 - 26/10/09 07:45 AM

Quote:

Well over at the other place someone is not too happy with "our NE Darryl" and needs a good kick in the ring for his comments he has posted..Serve it up to him Darryl!

The thing is, most discussions, even heated one's on NE still stay civil.

On AR, they end up in a bitch fight of the worst proportions
and normally get way off topic.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: OSR, Coming Soon; Col Arthur Alphin Responds [Re: 500Nitro]
      #144429 - 26/10/09 08:26 AM

I believe we have left out a major player in this discussion.

In light of that, I contacted Col. Arthur Alphin in regards to the OSR issue and had a very interesting conversation with him.

I believe most of you are familiar with Col. Alphin and his company, A-Square. For those who are not familiar with Col. Alphin, here is A-Square's website:

http://a-squareco.com/

Col. Alphin has many years of experience dealing with the issue and has agreed to weigh in on the subject. Fellows, please, let's get the data, facts and observations to the front of the stove, and emotions to the back burner.

Thanks.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #144434 - 26/10/09 09:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it does make a lot of sense. Let's take that full circle.

From Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle":

Quote:

Geoff MacDonald who makes the Woodleigh brand of projectiles did an experiment which illustrates the difference in barrel stress with different projectiles. After checking for correct bore and groove diameters, Geoff turned down a section of a .375 barrel until it had .090" wall thickness. He then forced various projectiles through the barrel USING A HYDRAULIC RAM. On the outside of the barrel he had a micrometer set up to measure any expansions of the barrel. When forcing a soft point through, the barrel has no measurable expansion at all. However, a steel solid gave .0005" expansion to the barrel, although the barrel did spring back after the bullet had passed."

In other words, the jacketed soft point compressed, engraved, and conformed to the bore, with no elastic deformation of the barrel at all. With the steel jacketed solid, compression occurs (due to the soft lead core), but not enough to avoid elastic deformation, and the barrel steel returns to it's pre-stress dimensions. This is not the cause of OSR.

Steel will always return to it's pre-stress dimensions after elastic deformation. That's the DEFINITION of elastic deformation. If it's elastic limit is exceeded, it's original dimensions are permanently altered - which is the definition of PLASTIC deformation. By definition, OSR is plastic deformation. The dimensions of steel can't be altered by stress any other way.

Woodleigh's tests confirm what has long been known - the thin barrel walls common to quality double rifles DO expand SOLELY due to the passage of a bullet too hard to entirely conform to the bore. One of the bullets used in the test was a dead soft LEAD bullet with a thick gilding metal covered steel jacket. The soft core makes it compressible, although less so than a copper or gilding metal jacketed soft point expanding bullet, and elastic, not plastic, deformation occurs. A conventional mono metal bullet (one with no thin full-caliber bands to obviate the problem) has no soft metal core, making it perfectly NON-compressible, and plastic deformation occurs.

On that note let's consider this statement again:

Quote:

"The material used to manufacture Barnes Banded Solids will not obturate at less than 45,000 psi."

Again, no .40+ caliber double rifle cartridge operates at pressures that high. To complete the circle, consider this again:

Quote:

So, we know that the bullet can't obturate, for two reasons. The material used is too hard, and there's no compressible core. Barnes says the bullets are slightly undersize, which I don't contest. That helps, but it can't be an answer. A hard .407" mono that has to pass down a .400" bore/.408" groove barrel still has a lot of metal to displace - metal that Barnes specifically states is difficult to displace - in order to conform to the bore. In the thin tubes of a double rifle, that's almost a guarantee of problems.

The fact that something this basic seems so hard to understand utterly escapes me.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#144435 - 26/10/09 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The thing is, most discussions, even heated one's on NE still stay civil.

On AR, they end up in a bitch fight of the worst proportions
and normally get way off topic.

True, and Daryl is doing his best to make this place the same.

Mac said nothing that isn't true.

Quote:

In the thread on NE is that one guy is simply a know-it-all ass, and can't be civil, and has no experience where double rifles are concerned. 9.3X57, however is trying to work things out in his mind, but is simply sceptical, but at least willing to discuss the matter, without the other guy's scarcasm. His's take on the subject is a Know-It-All OPINION that is no different from a person who has never ridden in an airplane, telling a pilot how to fly one!

Not a big thing, but I would differ with him on one point. Making forceful, intentionally insulting comments on a subject that the poster has zero experience with, has done no research on, and that belittle the opinions of professionals who really are expert on the subject, fails to rise to the level of "opinion". It's merely arrogance taken to the level of oral diarrhea.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 205555

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com