Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: peter]
      #144295 - 24/10/09 05:40 AM

Peter:

That's almost exactly what I had in mind, but haven't tried it. When I can get some time to, I will.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #144296 - 24/10/09 05:49 AM

please do, i actually try to make it to SCI this year, and if i do first brew will be on me, and i would also love to see the gun in question.

best

peter

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: mickey]
      #144297 - 24/10/09 05:49 AM

Quote:

I have a 9.3x74R that I feel was damaged by Barnes X bullets. I shot 36 of the 286 Grain bullets through it and the rifle was taken off face. You can also see a 'shadow' of the rifling on the right barrel if the you hold it to a bright light in just the right way.

I can't say as a 'fact' that the damage was caused by the X bullets and I can't say for a 'fact' that the damage wasn't there from before. But I think it is true.

The interesting part was how fast it came off face. I was showing it to my friend before we went out shooting (Zebra culling) and he commented on how tight it was for a 70 year rifle. Three days later you could slide a business card between the standing breech and the barrels. It was while looking at it that he noticed the rifling impressions on the barrel.

Maybe a coincidence?

I spoke to Randy Brooks about it at SCI that January and was blown off with 'it must be a cumulative result, my bullets are the best thing in the world' comment. He was not interested in talking about it, I think he was afraid others might overhear.

Much the same as his conversation with 500 grains at SCI a couple of years ago about his bullets failing.

If you put your hands over your ears and jump up and down while singing it is hard to hear others talking.

Except for the rifle coming off face, your experience mirrors mine exactly. Thanks for posting Mickey.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: peter]
      #144298 - 24/10/09 05:51 AM

Quote:

please do, i actually try to make it to SCI this year, and if i do first brew will be on me, and i would also love to see the gun in question.

best

peter

It will be an honor. I've wanted to get together with you for a long time.

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #144299 - 24/10/09 05:52 AM

we have to make it a priority then

best

peter

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #144300 - 24/10/09 06:18 AM

Quote:

I’m comfortable stating that Barnes Banded Solids are better for antique barrels than the competition

He could be right, but as most statements like this, it depends on the competition refered to.

Quote:

...I don't know how to display it on the internet, but I do know how to show it to someone in person. I make the commitment to have a DR with visible OSR with me at SCI in January. Anyone who doubts the existence of OSR in double rifles is welcome to come by and look at it.

I would love to travel over see to see it, but cant, or rather would not be allowed.
Not becourse i dont think its there, but to see with my own eyes how it looks, and know what too look after on other rifles.

At last this tread is getting a bit constructive, with first hand experience, what bullet besides barnes a nono to doubles?

There must be some relation to hardess or alloy to look for, from the pressures barnes has shown, the soft seems to give a bit higher pressures. Are they worse then the solids?

This is of some substancial interest to anyone that would like to continue hunting with their doubles as the greens will finaly bann lead, thats something im sure of. And they wont give a crap about the guns that in their eyes killed every elephant in the wourld.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 450_366]
      #144301 - 24/10/09 06:35 AM

How about we conduct our own tests?

I can provide the tube (turned to appropriate contour), and then we need someone with the proper equipment to measure any expansion as the bullets are driven down the barrel.

I would think that person would also need a lathe to continue turning down the outside of the barrel to thinner and thinner wall thickness to make the test as comprehensive as possible.

How about it: do we have any retired engineer types out there with some good measuring tools and extra time on their hands?

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: new_guy]
      #144302 - 24/10/09 06:55 AM

Quote:

How about we conduct our own tests?

I can provide the tube (turned to appropriate contour), and then we need someone with the proper equipment to measure any expansion as the bullets are driven down the barrel.

I would think that person would also need a lathe to continue turning down the outside of the barrel to thinner and thinner wall thickness to make the test as comprehensive as possible.

How about it: do we have any retired engineer types out there with some good measuring tools and extra time on their hands?

A comon strain gouge would be just fine as daryl stated, but mounted half way down the barrel.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 450_366]
      #144306 - 24/10/09 07:05 AM

Quote:

Not becourse i dont think its there, but to see with my own eyes how it looks, and know what too look after on other rifles.

Andreas:

Precisely. A lot of folks that scoff have no idea what it looks like.

Quote:

There must be some relation to hardess or alloy to look for, from the pressures barnes has shown, the soft seems to give a bit higher pressures. Are they worse then the solids?

In my experience, I don't think there is a difference.

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #144321 - 24/10/09 09:11 AM

Hoping to make the SCI too if SWMBO allows me, if I'm going, I want to have a few jars with you guys there, best
Mike

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #144322 - 24/10/09 09:42 AM

I know nothing about this , but does any one think it may be the grooves that are showing as this is the thinness part of the barrel and pressure is blowing the thin steel out ?

I read the book & thought shit thats weird , rifling appearing on the outside !

Just a thought , and I'm not in the fight , discussion ! !

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #144323 - 24/10/09 10:07 AM

Look forward to it Mike. Would love to see photos of your new jewel.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #144335 - 24/10/09 12:27 PM

Sarg - can't be the grooves as the bullets don't even go to the bottom of the grooves, except at the very last band, normally.

400Nitro says he has the gun with this 'damage' - GREAT! If he lacks the knowedge to post a picture or two, he can merely send them to someone who will - I am dead certain there are a HOST of people who'd love to help, myself included.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: DarylS]
      #144337 - 24/10/09 01:08 PM

Thanks for the info 400. I take it at face value.

I'll help with photos. I photo my knives for publication, and I know how tough it is to photo steel under lights. It IS difficult. I can give you some pointers, truthfully.

You misjudge me entirely. No more need be said, but I think that'll come out in the end.

As Daryl says, lots of fellows will help with pix. I can, too.

Look, ALL {?} of us have taken it on the chin financially in some way or another. Who hasn't gotten butched by some thing or another? Your gun broke. Maybe Barnes bullets caused it, or maybe it was ready to let go anyway?

YOU are not a wart.

But all guns have warts. At least all the guns I buy... ALL guns. Maybe I'm unlucky. The difference between me and you is, I think, you are more trusting. I don't trust any maker of any product, gun, bullet or diaper {as I remember, they all leak}.

My trust goes down as the price goes up.

I have many years of experience shooting hard bullets. Mostly in junk milsurps. But they do weird things there, too, at times... Your doubles may be more like a $79 Mosin Nagant than you think...

Can you give us some pre- and post- mono measurements of your gun? What did the monos do internally? The dimensional differences would be very instructive to us all. No BS.

I never shoot any "oddball" gun without slugging, first, and I assume others are the same. I cannot imagine shooting a gun worth the price of a nice car without slugging it and the bullets intended for it. Yes, I check bearing surfaces, too, an work up slow. Steel-core solids teach that the hard way.

I called Merkel today.

I spoke to Kent Barnard at 205-655-8299. I asked if there were any problems with using properly sized mono bullets in Merkel doubles. He said; "none whatsoever". He said no guns have been sent back to him due to damage caused by monos. He was very familiar with OSR, but said he has not seen any evidence of it with their guns. This is interesting, as I have heard different elsewhere.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#144339 - 24/10/09 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Daryl S:

400Nitro says he has the gun with this 'damage' - GREAT! If he lacks the knowedge to post a picture or two, he can merely send them to someone who will - I am dead certain there are a HOST of people who'd love to help, myself included.

Another insult with nothing constructive to add to the discussion. Same to you.

--------------------

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144340 - 24/10/09 02:18 PM

I'll throw $200 into the pot for a test. In a few months I might be able to get around to doing something similar myself(with a bolt action I plan to rebarrel, not a double!). If I do I'll share the results here.

I think two points can't be emphasized enough.

The first is that chamber or peak pressure has nothing to do with the issue. It is a matter of barrel thickness/strength vs bullet hardness. This should be obvious when you consider that peak pressure usually occurs when the bullet is only 8-9 inches from the chamber and drops rapidly thereafter, yet OSR occurs at the low pressure/thin muzzle end, not the high pressure/thick end. I've never heard of it just in front of the chambers.

Secondly, the human eye is incredibly good at seeing flaws that are difficult to measure or photograph. Take a seemingly perfect polished metal cylinder and sight along it at a low angle and look at the reflection of a light on its surface as it is rotated. Any flaws will be obvious, but I'd have an extremely difficult time photographing it or measuring it with a runout gauge. As Wright mentioned a simlar technique is used when you inspect shotgun bores. For a flat metal surface, any distortions in a reflection of a grid pattern indicate unevenness that I can see but can't measure. I think OSR is very much a similar situation. My 2 cents.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#144341 - 24/10/09 03:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info 400. I take it at face value.

I'll help with photos. I photo my knives for publication, and I know how tough it is to photo steel under lights. It IS difficult. I can give you some pointers, truthfully.

9.3:

As I think now you understand, the problem isn't with posting photos, it's taking them. In my late youth, I had several years of formal instruction in photography, so I'm not a novice. This isn't something that's a quick snap with a pocket digital.

It isn't raised to the extent that you can feel it, or see it from any side angle. In order to judge good barrel striking - and see OSR - the barrel must be viewed from the muzzle or breech with the eye no more than, say, 5 degrees from the axis of the bore. It's necessary to be looking into a light source, plus have a background to provide contrast, and a straight-edge. Further, focus must be precise, and depth of field will have to be deep for the camera to capture it. In the end, I'll probably need studio lights and backdrops. Based on my efforts so far, I can tell you it will be a trick.

Quote:

Look, ALL {?} of us have taken it on the chin financially in some way or another. Who hasn't gotten butched by some thing or another? Your gun broke. Maybe Barnes bullets caused it, or maybe it was ready to let go anyway?

Honestly, no, I don't think so. Double rifles are expensive, and I'm not rich, so I have always been careful. While this was a long time ago, I was no novice when this took place. I had the advantage of knowing what "well-struck" meant, and knew what OSR looked like. I carefully inspected both before they were purchased (one of them was not mine), plus both were professionally inspected. Both were perfect. The one that belonged to my hunting partner was sold for a song after it was damaged. I still have the other. The OSR is present only on one barrel, and is very slight. It wasn't present before, and came up when roughly 20 rounds total of super solids were fired. No other projectiles of any description were fired during that interval. In the 18 years, and some thousands of rounds (including steel jacketed solids) since, no change has occurred.

Quote:

My trust goes down as the price goes up.

Way ahead of you. In part because of the issues we're discussing, I think it's absolutely nuts to buy a used DR without professional inspection. I can truthfully say that I'm helping friends look for nice British doubles constantly. Once we find a candidate, I insist that they have the gun inspected by a true DR expert gunmaker (not a magazine rifle parts changer), usually J. J. Understand that many of these are from online, and I don't always get to see them before he does. SEVERAL times J. J. has nixed 'em for OSR.

Quote:

Can you give us some pre- and post- mono measurements of your gun? What did the monos do internally? The dimensional differences would be very instructive to us all. No BS.

I always slug double rifles before shooting them. Both of these were spot on spec. I didn't have the occasion to slug my partner's gun afterwards, before it was sold. Mine did not measurably change, but like I said, visible OSR is very slight. I see OSR a lot, but unfortunately, almost always only after it's already there. A couple of times, J. J. has mentioned that a rifle that had OSR had bores out of spec on the large side.

Quote:

I called Merkel today.

I spoke to Kent Barnard at 205-655-8299. I asked if there were any problems with using properly sized mono bullets in Merkel doubles. He said; "none whatsoever". He said no guns have been sent back to him due to damage caused by monos. He was very familiar with OSR, but said he has not seen any evidence of it with their guns. This is interesting, as I have heard different elsewhere.

I believe the man, and don't find that particularly surprising. As we discussed earlier, this problem is directly related to min wall. Let's just say that issue opens a whole new can of radioactive worms. Merkel's barrels are very thick for a double, as are Krieghoff's.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #144342 - 24/10/09 03:23 PM

Quote:

Secondly, the human eye is incredibly good at seeing flaws that are difficult to measure or photograph. Take a seemingly perfect polished metal cylinder and sight along it at a low angle and look at the reflection of a light on its surface as it is rotated. Any flaws will be obvious, but I'd have an extremely difficult time photographing it or measuring it with a runout gauge. As Wright mentioned a simlar technique is used when you inspect shotgun bores. For a flat metal surface, any distortions in a reflection of a grid pattern indicate unevenness that I can see but can't measure. I think OSR is very much a similar situation. My 2 cents.

That's it exactly. Thanks.

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #144344 - 24/10/09 03:35 PM

I have actually seen OSR on a 404 Bolt Action and
totally agree, it is hard to see and near impossble
to photograph but it was there.

As to why it occurred in that gun, not sure.

Edited by 500Nitro (24/10/09 03:35 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #144360 - 24/10/09 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Another insult with nothing constructive to add to the discussion. Same to you.

There is no insult in that post - "GREAT" was used in the context that this means there is some proof that is easily accessible - so lets have it.

1/. You have insulted several posters here including myself, but I see in your eyes you are allowed to do this as you believe you are "all knowing", yet you seem to lack normal ballistics nomenclature knowledge?

2/. - No one is allowed to question your OPINIONS and opinions they are until there is proof - yet you maintain that if anyhone questions your opinions it is a personal insult against you. Your and your opinions may fact or based on fact at this time - but only to you.

3/. If OSR doesn't happen at the breech, why would it happen at the muzzle as by that time the bullet is already engraved and fitting the bore?

4/. If this expansion isn't happening at the breech, but the bullet still isn't engraving, the pressures would be over the top. This is common sense in the world of ballistics.

5/. Does this "pushing rifling lands out through the steel of the barrel" happen with TSX and other bnaded bullets or is it restricted to solid full diameter bullets without bands.

1/ & 2/. are observations 3/. is a question, not an insult 4/. is a question, not an insult 5/. is a question, not an insult

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
      #144368 - 25/10/09 12:32 AM

Daryl, here's my take of how this occurs:

Woodleigh's test, which involved driving bullets through barrels, showed that with some bullets and some barrels, the barrel bulged as the bullet passed, then returned to it's original size. The 'egg is a snake' example that 9.3 gave. If the steel's elastic limits are exceeded, it will not quite spring back, and this fatigue can be cumlative.

If I take a high pressure round, say a 300win( chamber pressure well above the bullet's yield), with a typical bolt action countour (very thich at the breech), I believe the bullet will be swagged down to bore size shortly after leaving the chambers, and OSR probably won't be encountered regardless of how thin the subsequent bore tappers to.

If I fire the same bullet in a lower pressure round (well below the bullet's yield) and through a barrel with a much thinner countour at the chamber end, it may not swag down as much, as the barrel may 'stretch' to allow passage even at the breech end. When this less-reduced bullet reaches the thin end, stretching exceeds the steel's elastic limits.

This is just my theory on what is happening, nothing more. I think we read material property data on various metals and then misapply them in some cases. Yes, steel is indeed harder than copper, but I can also easily split a thin steel tube by inserting a tapered copper rod and gently rapping on it if the proportions are right. Pressure from my mallet is low, the steel is harder, but the taper acts as a lever and the hoop stress skyrockets. Someone with a better mechanical engineering background than I could explain this.

Lastly, I still do not understand how the grooves in barnes bullets "give the displaced copper somewhere to go" if the shank between the grooves is still larger than the bore diameter and being engraved itself! I understand the grooves mean less materials must be displaced, but thier idea in the previous sentance would only work if the shank between the grooves was LESS than bore diameter.

My idea for a test was originally to turn down the last few inches of a bolt action barrel to .010" or .09" and polish it to a mirror finish, but I think it would be better to contour the entire barrel appropriately and fire a cartridge in the 30,000 psi range.

Ideally, you could take an unturned blank, cut it in two (so each half has exactly the same bore dimensions), and chamber one piece for, say 300W and the other for 30-30 with typical bolt and double contours respectively, then fire the same monolithic bullets. I believe the bullets from the first barrel would be VERY slightly smaller than the later, but wouldn't know how to measure such minute dimensions accurately.

One last piece of complete speculation, but I presume all of the barrels with OSR 400 mentioned, being on doubles, had cut rifled barrels. I wonder from a materials standpoint if the act of button rifling a barrel pre-stresses the steel in a manner similar to firing a monolithic and are subsequently more resistant to such damage? Similar techniques are used in some manufacuting processes.

This is all just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. I use cast lead in my bore rifles and woodleighs in my nitros and am happy.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #144372 - 25/10/09 02:20 AM

The statement from Barnes gave me a nice bout of uncontrollable hysterics, thanks for posting.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: ]
      #144374 - 25/10/09 03:45 AM

Omnivorous Bob:

I agree with your theory exactly. I've kept my hand close to my chest maybe for too long, in the hope that somebody out there had run a number of experimental tests that could be uncovered and reviewed. I guess there aren't any? I apologize for trying to drag it out, and if I've been annoying, well, sorry for that, too.

First; I want to emphasize tho the SHANK diameter as you mention. It should be no trick to design a mono bullet to be totally safe in thin-tubed guns AS LONG AS the dimensions of those guns' bores are known and their measurements worked around. Take about ten minutes including the time it takes to find the pencil.

Meaning, a "safe" mono bullet is a bullet that has an undersized shank and bands that allow the displacement of the metal impacted by the lands. BUT.......that bullet must fit the GUN.

As you say, I'll add. I can dent a piece of sheel steel with a brass hammer. I can SHATTER a hardened {but not tempered} knife blade with a piece of wood. Soft/hard only are relevant under the parameters you outline.

I do not think it is fair to categorically blame Barnes for their bullets in this sense. If the dimensions of their bullets are compatible with the internal dimension of the barrel shooting them, they'd be safe.

Now, I am going to tread lightly but say this as gently as I can. Whose responsibility is it to determine whether those dimensions are compatible?

Answer; The shooter.

Various causes can, I'm certain, be found for double damage. SOME THEM THE SHOOTER CANNOT REASONABLY BE EXPECTED TO PREVENT AND SOME OF THEM HE CAN.

I can wreck my gun with a normal powder charge and a soft cast lead bullet. How? By casting it so neck relief is inadequate to allow bullet release. An improperly fitting bullet will wreck any gun.

A bullet company makes bullets. The dimensions are known when a person lifts one from the box. They can easily be measured and so can the internal dimensions of the barrels. EVERYONE who owns a double should know every dimension of that double. Groove depth and land depth, neck relief and headspace, and acceptable OAL and max case length. Especially old ones. Just like most of us casters check our guns rigorously before shooting new bullets in them. IMO, every double before being shot should, in concert with its ammo, be rigourously miked, measured and checked, especially as and since as Peter noted earlier, Euro and American standards vary, and some guns might be out of spec in some way anyway. Screwing around with old clunkers has taught me to never trust the caliber stamp on the side of the barrel...NEVER. I mike, measure and doublecheck before I shoot.

This is why I find the statement by Barnes saying their bullets are better than the competition for the oldies to be, well, both possibly true and...amazingly crazy! They just might be fine IF the dimensions are compatible. If not...

I believe certain old guns are wrecked by merely firing them. Soldered barrels under stress from slightly improper fitting in the first place may not be noticeable, but may, afer years of sitting still or being used and EXACTLY LIKE AN OLD SOLDERED WATERPIPE, fail "for no reason" when a load is applied to them. Pardon me for saying, but fine doubles bear some similarity to your toilet supply line. {c'mon, guys, I'm trying to lighten the atmosphere here... }

The point is, solder fittings if done right are amazingly strong, but can give way under also-amazingly light stresses. Gunmakers I've discussed this with agree. The fitting is a tremendously skill-demanding process. I'm thinking that most of the non-double-owners out there have had an old, soldered sight base or two fall off, again, "for no reason". Similar condition.

It is possible that barrel harmonics and different bullet types could aggravate a conditon that lurks within the gun as well. This is the part of the mono equation that might be the hardest to duplicate in a lab, in my opinion. This one is kind of like a root ball somewhere in the dike. It's there by getting rid of it means finding it first, and we don't want to rip the whole dike down to find it...

I think we are going to see some experiments that will demonstrate the truth or falsehood of some of these theories. And they are, in my case, as in Bob's, theories. At any rate, they might give the shooting world a crutch to lean on when the greenies finally put the kibosh on lead bullets. {That copper may be far more toxic in the ground than lead is, well, a saga for another fireside...}

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (25/10/09 04:12 AM)

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#144375 - 25/10/09 03:54 AM

Quote:

There is no insult in that post -

Sad. You can't even come up with a credible denial.

You begin with dripping sarcasm, clearly insinuating that a statement of mine isn't truthful:

Quote:

400Nitro says he has the gun with this 'damage'

And then you further insult my character by stating that because I can't give you instant gratification by posting a photograph of it, then I'm obviously making it up:

Quote:

GREAT! If he lacks the knowedge to post a picture or two, he can merely send them to someone who will - I am dead certain there are a HOST of people who'd love to help, myself included.

....which intentionally ignores a number of posts above about the difficulty of photographing OSR.

When I then observe the obvious, you respond with a lie:

Quote:

There is no insult in that post -

Quote:

1/. You have insulted several posters here including myself, but I see in your eyes you are allowed to do this as you are all knowing, yet seem to lack normal nomenclature knowledge?

Remember this?:

Quote:

When I read this from the link above, I laughed. Obviously 400 NitroEx. knows nothing about pressure relating to strain gauges, but sure likes to spout off. Perhaps he's being funded by 'other' bullet companies?
Strain gauges show exactly what the barrel is feeling. To have this OSR phenominum, to actually press the rifling out to the outside of the barrel takes pressure - a strain gauge is on the outside of the barrel and shows the strain, pressure THERE.

Interesting.hahahahahahaha!

You had no idea what tests had been conducted, but that didn't stop you from being free with your insults. You get what you give. As for your comment about nomenclature, I'm ROFLMAO. Your comments about obturation don't even make it to sophomoric.

The constructive value of any knowledge you have to contribute seems always to be negated by your general nastiness, as it has here. I won't bother with your blather in the future.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#144377 - 25/10/09 04:31 AM

Quote:

I do not think it is fair to categorically blame Barnes for their bullets in this sense. If the dimensions of their bullets are compatible with the internal dimension of the barrel shooting them, they'd be safe.

I can't agree with the above portion of your premise. As I told you, both of the rifles I referred to were slugged. The Barnes bullets used in both actually measured very slightly under groove diameter of the bores in both. OSR occurred quickly in both.

According to Barnes:

Quote:

"The material used to manufacture Barnes Banded Solids will not obturate at less than 45,000 psi."

No over .40 Flanged Nitro Express has a CIP MAP that high (save the .500/.416, which operates at 45,000 PSI with normal loads). So, we know that the bullet can't obturate, for two reasons. The material used is too hard, and there's no compressible core. Barnes says the bullets are slightly undersize, which I don't contest. That helps, but it can't be an answer. A hard .407" mono that has to pass down a .400" bore/.408" groove barrel still has a lot of metal to displace - metal that Barnes specifically states is difficult to displace - in order to conform to the bore. In the thin tubes of a double rifle, that's almost a guarantee of problems.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 205783

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com