Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll
      #14040 - 27/04/04 04:02 PM

I am fairly new to the world of double rifles. Have always lusted after one, but couldn't afford them. A year or two I decided to break the bank and buy a nice plain Jeffrey double in .450. Now am planning for number two and three.

Over the years I have taken careful note of the discussions and in the very recent past a lot of people would rave and recommend good quality in good condition old English double rifles.

Some people would recommend buying a Merkel, Krieghoff, Searcy or Chapuis. Usually in terms of price. This is usually where the "wars" started as someone would rave about one maker but absolutely blast another maker.

Overtime I realised vested interests often played a part in these discussions. Some of the "players" were connected with one of the agency or 'touting' for them. I know this for a fact and know many commercial interests on the net like to market their products by stealth, ie never wanting their aliases associated with the products they sell.

In the last twelve months it seems the old English doubles have run past their use by dates as they now seem to get rubbished on almost every double rifle thread on every forum where they discussed. Hell I looked hard at my Jeffrey and couldn't find the "Use by 2003" tag on it anywhere so it must still be 'on face', still regulate, and still be as good as it has been for the last eighty years. Even more amazing some 'personalities' did sudden 'U-turns' and stopped advising people to find a nice checked-over English double - if you could afford it - and suddenly they were all next to crap and nothing but a ###### would satisfy!

I've actually handled two doubles in the last week. One a brand new Merkel 9.3mm and the other an old Webley .450 BPE. Both were reported to shoot well and regulating loads had been found for them. These owners must surely have been lucky! Regulate immediately, not blow up in their face, still not off-face (sarcasm intended).

To bring some realism into the debate lets all detail our own and personal doubles as a poll. Lets forget about secondary and third hand experience (ie a mate's or a mate of a mate or I heard it on the net), just what you personally have experienced. If YOU bought a lemon, sure it can happen to anyone, tell us about it.

Please detail:

the maker, appox manuacture date, calibre, new or pre-owned, condition when bought, did you have it checked over by a competent double rifle experienced gunsmith, any problems after, does it regulated OK.

Lets detail all the Purdeys, H&Hs, Westley Richards, A&Ns, Webleys, Jeffrey's, Merkels, Searcy's, Kreighoff's, Chapuis's, Rigbys etc - personal experience only.

Any commercial interests please declare these.

PS As an incentive I will throw in a copy of the Double Gun Journal magazine as a prize selected randomly from the participants who enter their double rifle details.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: NitroX]
      #14041 - 27/04/04 04:12 PM

I'll start the ball rolling. Only one - so far.

Gunmaker: W.J. Jeffrey
Appox manuacture date: As a guess 1900's to 1920
Calibre: .450 No. 2 Jeffrey
New or pre-owned: Definitely pre-owned
Condition when bought: Worn blueing, stock refinished by someone, on-face, tight, one bore a little worn but both in reasonable shape
Did you have it checked over: Absolutely, dropped into a gunsmith, who actually had also extensively checked over the same rifle for the seller when he purchased it
Any problems subsequently: Minor, foreend screws came out when first shot and filling in front sight was dislodged as well
Ammo regulated: First load in it regulated well enough to satisfy me. Was high but that was more my sight picture I was using. But still need to shoot a lot more loads to see just what it does
Other: N/a
Commercial interests: I run an independent of any maker double rifle forum - NitroExpress.com

--------------------
John aka NitroX

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #14055 - 28/04/04 12:18 AM

1st- Cogswell & Harrison 450/400 used 1954 Only had 10 rds
so didn't shoot much Excellant condition
2nd- Chapius 9.3x74 used shot much, excellant rifle
3rd- Valmet O/U 9.3x74,30-06,243 used excellant shot very
much
4th- O.Geyger 8x60RS used excellant,shot very much
extremely accurate less than 1" groups consistantly
5th- Merkel 470 nitro new very accurate NO problems shot
much
6th- Winchester O/U (101) 30-06 used rarely shoot
7th- Heym 375 H&H used very reliable and also very accurate
My favorite Shoot much
I am school trained gunsmith so checked myself. Love double rifles but find to be of limited use. Mostly use bolt guns in Africa. Primarily 375 H&H.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: zimhunter]
      #14057 - 28/04/04 01:01 AM

Thanks for the contribution.

From your post it appears there were largely no problems (?) with 7 out of 7 doubles, except maybe ammunition supply.

Quite a varied bunch there too. Again thanks for the post.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AlaskanPH
.224 member

Reged: 31/03/04
Loc: Alaska
      #14058 - 28/04/04 01:11 AM

My double does not have the history or romance of many but to help with your poll I thought I would add mine to the list:

Gunmaker: Krieghoff
Appox manuacture date: 2003
Calibre: .470 Nitro Express
New or pre-owned: Brand New
Condition when bought: Excellent / Brand New
Did you have it checked over: Not necessary
Any problems subsequently: N/A
Ammo regulated: From Krieghoff is it regulated with Federal 500 grain Woodleigh / Weldcore soft points and the targets they sent with the rifle indicates that it regulates to under 1" at 50 yards. I am still waiting for some of the factory ammo to find out if I can shoot as well as the regulator at Krieghoff
Other: N/A
Commercial interests: No commercial interest except being a Professional Hunter

All the best,
Alaskan PH

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: AlaskanPH]
      #14066 - 28/04/04 05:21 AM

Hi,

Like AlaskanPH I've limited experience so here goes:

Gunmaker: Chapuis Armes

Appox manuacture date: 2001 Made for me

Calibre: 9.3x74r

New or pre-owned: New, built for me

Condition when bought: NIB

Did you have it checked over: No, new rifle (my mistake)

Any problems subsequently: Finishing on top lever not done, and cut spring that holds the lever open when action is open. Also soft firing pins. Total additional cost, $220.

Ammo regulated: I asked specifically for 286 Norma Alaskans, and they did it accidentally for 286 Norma Oryx (which is fine since I like Oryxs better I just did not know they existed in 286gr wieght at the time). However, rifle make 2" groups at 100 yards with two shots from each barrel. Also it makes useful groups with 232 Oryx and vulcans too.

Other: Chapuis customer service is hit and miss at best. When I discovered they regulated it for the wrong bullet and complained they did not offer to reregulate it. I was not pleased with interior finishing, should have at a gunsmith inspect it first. Other than that the gun shoots great.

Commercial interests: None.

Additional Comments: I don't have a problem with any double rifles I've seen. As terms of old British rifles, there are simply too expensive for me to buy. Searcy too is too high. When I bought my Chapuis, it cost me $3,000 in France when the excharge rate was favorable. I could have had a 470 or 500 Heym or Kriefhoff for 5,000-6,000. I am drawn to modern guns simply because of price. When the dollar gets back to normal go to Europe and buy your rifle there. What people charge over here, especially those blood suckers at GSI, is simply a rip-off for the new double guns.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #14067 - 28/04/04 06:21 AM

Sold by A. Hollis and Son
barreled boxlock action by Harry Leonard (made most of Jeffery's Barrel actions of the period) circa 1910-1912.
Caliber 450/400 3 inch 55 cord 400 max.
pretty much the same action as NitroX's rifle
preowned several times, I'm sure.
Very good condition. Some Cordite pitting in right barrel. Unknown to me at the time of purchase the barrels that were slightly bent upwards. This was discovered and straightened by JJ Parodeau of Champlin Firearms, Enid, Ok.,USA
Barrels have been reblacked and rifle is on the face. it has ejectors,DT, flip up sight, 26" Krupp Steel barrels
With Woodleighs bullets I can manage 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. Loads a 64 grains, of RL-15 with poly filler.

I have no commercial interest at all! I do own the domain name doublerifle.com

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #14076 - 28/04/04 02:24 PM

I will post two, an example of each.

Gunmaker: Holland and Holland Model de Luxe

Appox manuacture date: 1912

Calibre: 500/465

New or pre-owned: Pre owned by, among others, an Elephant control officer who shot in excess of 1000 elephants with it in 35 years. Never worked on during his ownership.

Condition when bought: all blue gone, stock dented and chipped, engraving worn, action loose at hinge, recoil pad torn and cracked, screws twisted.

Did you have it checked over: No. Only by myself.

Any problems subsequently: No. I had it completely redone. New stock in French Walnut. re-black barrels, re-engrave by Phillip Grifnee. New hinge pin. Etc.

Ammo regulated: Originally Kynoch. Subsequently handloaded with Woodleigh bullets and IMR 4831. Accuracy, 4" with 2R and 2L at 100yards.

Other: Purchase price US$3,000 in 1991. Total Investment to rebuild $6,500, new case $450. Sold in 1996 for US$25,000, Rifle sold again in 1998 for $31,500.

Gunmaker: Westley Richards

Appox manuacture date: 1903

Calibre: 450 3 1/4"

New or pre-owned: Pre owned

Condition when bought: Immaculate with Centennial Engraveing Patern.

Any problems subsequently: None. Rifle refurbished by a previous owner.

Ammo regulated: Originally Kynoch. Subsequently handloaded with Woodleigh bullets and IMR 4831. Accuracy, 3/8 inch at 50 yards.

Other: Purchase price US$11,000 in 2003.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mstarling
.224 member

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: West Virginia, USA
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: mickey]
      #14095 - 29/04/04 03:33 AM

I'll post two as well ... remember that I am a novice in this neck of the woods and may have paid too much. I'm very happy with the quality of the firearms I've acquired.

Gunmaker: Butch Searcy
Appox manuacture date: recent

Calibre: .70 NE

New or pre-owned: pre-owned

Condition when bought: new condition
Did you have it checked over: no ... bought it with the usual 3 day inspection period and strong reference for the seller from a very experienced local person. Was delighted with the weapon when it arrived. Seller was Mike Schwandt.
Is the older style Field Grade. Not anywhere near as cobby as the comments on the forum might lead a novice to believe.

Any problems subsequently: none

Ammo regulated: Butch supplied information on the regulation load that turned out to be right on! Also worked with a Ballisticast 1431 bullet made to 500 grains ... one hole at 100 yards. Absolutely could not ask for more. Has killed deer with cast bullet load.

Other: Price was less than $7k

Commercial interests: I make knives ;>)

Gunmaker: Chapuis
Appox manuacture date: 1990s
Calibre: 9.3x74R with 20 3" gauge shotgun bbls and fitted case. Rifles bbls fitted with a QD rail mount S&B 1.5-5x42 scope

New or pre-owned: pre-owned

Condition when bought: metal is superb. Some marks and finish loss on the stock.

Did you have it checked over: Purchased from the local expert. Had shot the gun previously as well.

Any problems subsequently: Will need to have the stock shortened a little ... but I knew that going in.

Ammo regulated: Was provided with a load for which the rifle was regulated, and have developed several others. Very pleased with bench accuracy. Has killed hog and deer very nicely.

Other: was less than $7K.

Commercial interests: I make knives ;>)

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: mstarling]
      #14137 - 30/04/04 04:19 AM

I never met a double rifle I didn't like but there are a lot of used up English guns out there and thats a fact...I have owned some wonderfull and accurate English guns, sold most of them to folks who post here..

Today I own a Searcy PH, and Butch won the Double Rifle Championships with it and it shoots better with any load than any rifle I have ever owned..It is the ultimate using rifle and I can shoot monolithics in it...It will come to POI with any 500 gr. bullet..I just can't see how it can be beat, it speaks for itself IMO..

I don't see any competition between todays modern production rifles and yesterdays old English guns, they both deserve a place on the wall..The English guns cost more and are a better investment..The Searcy is a better using gun to trust to the Airline baggage handlers and it shoots better as a rule, it is stronger..all this is fact, not assumption, so what!

I also feel this wouldn't be much of a forum if everyone was of one accord on rifles and hunting..Opinnion is the wonderful thing about these forums, it gives us all a perspective on these things and its up to each of us to seperate the facts from the chafe..

One has to realise that when someone drops $8,000 or more on a gun, he is not going to take it kindly when someone trashes his gun even if it is trash..can't blame him for that, but honesty comes into play also, I hope that everyone speaks their mind on such a forum, otherwise it has no validity..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: atkinson6]
      #14155 - 30/04/04 12:47 PM

Ray

That is the point of this thread. To get people to give first hand knowledge of what good and bad experiences they have had. Hearsay might be true fact but second hand, third hand experience always collects some taint along the way which is natural.

A old double can be great or take a lot of $$$ to fix. If the price was lower and it is expected perhaps not a problem. Similarly a new double might be perfect out of the box or still also require some work. As one contributor has detailed for his new factory rifle.

You have owned at least two 450/400's from my reading of posts in recent years, before you current .470. Probably other double rifles as well over time. Did any of these three rifles (or others) require any work or were they fine in all important details straight from purchase? ie for other readers reference purposes. I hope some of these threads help new potential double rifle owners to find out what to look for.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #14161 - 30/04/04 02:32 PM

Here's another

Gunmaker: George Gibbs Box Lock Ejector Purchased 1994

Appox manuacture date: pre WW 1

Calibre: 450 3 1/4"

New or pre-owned: Pre owned. Purchased by a mining engineer in SA. Had shot at least 3 elephants and many Buffalo. (came with pictures) I was Fourth owner.

Condition when bought: Exterior showed normal wear for age. Later recoil pad. Minor piting in barrels and major pitting in both chambers. (Shell would stick in chamber) Stock had some oil soaking. Tight on face and probably not fired much.

Any problems subsequently: None. I sent it to Rodenbusch in Austria where it was rebored and rechambered to 470. Reproofed in Austria. Reregualted to Federal Premium. Shoots to 2" group at 70 meters. Went to Belgium where engraving recut and then to England for case colouring and re blacking. Silvers pad. Re proofed in England. I removed excess oil from stock and refinished it with oil. Re checkered.

Ammo regulated: Federal Premium. Subsequently handloaded with Woodleigh bullets and IMR 4831.

Other: Purchase price US4000. Total cost to refurbish $5800. Total investment including rebuilt leather case $10,500. Sold in 1999 for US15,500. Has made 5, 28 day safaris in Africa and shot at least 7 Elephants and many other animals. Also to Australia for Bantang and Water Buff. I wish I had it back but owner wants too much.

Gunmaker: Jeffery Boxlock Ejector

Appox manuacture date: Unknown

Calibre: 450 #2

New or pre-owned: Pre owned

Condition when bought: Good. Shows little wear. Rifle tight. Bores Good.

Any problems subsequently: None.

Ammo regulated: Originally Kynoch. Subsequently handloaded with Woodleigh bullets and IMR 4831. Accuracy, 3" @ 50 yards. Should do better.

Other: Purchase price US$7,500 in 2000.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

docEE
.224 member

Reged: 06/11/03
Loc: Minnesota, USA
      #14212 - 02/05/04 07:22 AM

If I had a dealer whom I trusted, and if the price seemed reasonable, I would never hesitate to buy an old English double simply because it is old. In reality, I don't know any dealers who are skilled in evaluating old doubles, I have never stubled onto one in the shops that I frequent, I suspect I would be set back by the asking price and I would wonder a bit about shooting a right-handed big-bore as a lefty. As it is, I have owned ONE double rifle. It is a Searcy made as a lefty gun for me to my dimensions.

Gunmaker: Searcy
Model: Field Grade
Caliber: 470 NE
NEW, so not "inspected"
Regulated with Woodleigh weldcores... load provided by Searcy
Commercial interests: none
Miscellaneous comments: Beautiful wood! 10-1/4 pounds, which makes it my heaviest rifle. Close inspection at bores shows the top and bottom metal strips between barrels to be a bit tilted off level and the seam of the right barrel where it joins to monobloc is visible, wheras the left really is not. (One looks at the little things when he has a keen interest!) Trouble with the second firing pin indenting primer with firing of first barrel... fixed at factory. They suggested I may have been dry-firing and have compressed the rebound springs on the firing pins. I recall only a rare dry-firing and then with snap-caps. Good accuracy. Cost of under $7000 new about 3 years ago. Took one year to the month to have made and shipped.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #14227 - 02/05/04 10:47 PM

If every vintage English rifle were a gem, then why are self-proclaimed "experts" advising to only buy one if you are "knowledgeable" and that it is important to "be careful"? It must be that there are quite a few low quality/broken down English guns in the used market. Also note that there are folks making their living by re-regulating and repairing the old English guns, which would not be the case if English guns were fault-free.

Also note that most (but not all) English gun owners like to talk about their rifles, but do not shoot them much. And then we have reports of those who do shoot them a lot, including one member here, who got into the practice of sending the English gun out once per year to be checked over and have the hinge pin replaced if appropriate.

I suspect that the romanticism of an English double causes a lot of people to ignore the warts and forget the investment in rehabilitating the gun after purchase.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: 500grains]
      #14229 - 02/05/04 10:59 PM

500grains

Fair enough but please post your first hand knowledge. I believe you have at least a couple doubles.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #14308 - 04/05/04 11:07 PM

My most used double rifle, and in fact my most-used rifle in the hunting field (by far), is a Jeffery box-lock ejector chambered for the .400 Jeffery cartridge.

Gunmaker: W.J. Jeffery

Appox manuacture date: As a guess, early 1930's

Calibre: .450/.400 x 3-inch Nitro Express

New or pre-owned: Definitely pre-owned

Condition when bought: External metal-work worn and refinished, ie action rust-blued (?), refinish is now worn in all the right places. A few honest dings in the wood, nothing major. Wood is dark, but nice. Action is still tight, bores are VGC to EX (best I've seen in a pommie nitro double). Shoots very well.

Special Features: Southgate ejectors, game-scene engraved action (Jeffery Maharajah-style), fully-engraved trap grip-cap, engine-turned rib, moon-sight, dolls-head with third bite. (Try ordering all this stuff on a Searcy!)

Did you have it checked over: Sort of! ..gunsmith mate who acted as the transaction-dealer dropped the floor-plate off, and also checked the timing of the ejectors, before I took delivery. He was just curious. Did the rest myself. All was well.

Any problems subsequently: nil

Ammo regulated: Recommended load from Graeme Wright's first book regulated perfectly. Very boring, actually. Just point and shoot.

Commercial interests: nil

IMHO, British guns are the go. Its true that a 'working' boxlock is over-priced in the US nowdays because collectors snap up 'any' pommie doubles, and this has forced up the price in Australia as well. Regarding the purchase of a used double rifle (of ANY origin, not just British): you would have to be a dill to buy any double before checking it over, and I wouldn't buy one without a range-test for accuracy and regulation. Any problems are easily spotted or discovered during inspection/testing: its not rocket-science!

How many Chapuis, Merkels, or even Searcys will still be going strong in a hundred years time? Existing Pommie doubles have already stood the test!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

470Rigby
.333 member

Reged: 23/02/04
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: Marrakai]
      #14311 - 04/05/04 11:15 PM

Marrakai

In reply to:

British guns are the go

HEAR! HEAR!

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
      #14317 - 05/05/04 12:13 AM

I too am new to double rifles and have enjoyed learning from the many of you that have enjoyed them for so long. I bought my first double a few weeks ago after reading and learning about my options for the past six months. I wanted a quality sidelock as well as a gun that was ready to use in Africa on my next trip to Tanzania. I didn't feel experienced enough to venture into the antique gun market, nor did I want to pay the cost of a quality British sidelock for a gun that I wanted to take into the briars of Africa. This gun, built on the Holland and Holland sidelock design, fits me like a glove.

Gunmaker: Beretta 455
Appox manuacture date: 1989
Calibre: .470 Nitro Express
New or pre-owned: used
Condition when bought: Excellent; assessed at 98% condition.
Did you have it checked over: yes, by my local gunsmith, who also checked the book value and was amazed at the perfect condition of the gun and how I got it at the value that I did. At 98%, the gun is appraised at almost $40,000. I paid well less than that.
Any problems subsequently: The safety was a bit stiff (basically the gun had never been used) and I sent it back to the dealer, Roosevelt and Drake, for adjustment. He had it checked and adjusted. Works perfectly now.
Ammo regulated: Originally regulated for Kynoch 500 gr solids at 50 yards. So far I've been shooting Federal Premium TBBCs. It shoots beautifully with groups of about 1 1/2" at 60 yards.
Other: My actual gun was featured in the Winter 2003 edition of The Double Gun Journal. If you'd like to see it, here are links to scans from it: DGJ page 100 and page 101.
Commercial interests: None. I just love everyday in the outdoors!

M82A1Barret50Cal
.275 member

Reged: 12/04/04
Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: Spring]
      #14326 - 05/05/04 09:19 AM

Beutiful is all I can say. You got one fine peice of wrok there mate, wish everyone could be as lucky...

M82A1

Spring
.300 member

Reged: 01/04/04
Loc: Georgia
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: M82A1Barret50Cal]
      #14328 - 05/05/04 10:04 AM

Thank you very much, M82A1. No doubt there are many great guns owned by members of our forum. I wish everyone would post pictures!

HawaiiPD
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Oahu, Hawaii
      #14334 - 05/05/04 02:34 PM

Maker: Wm. Douglass
Caliber 470 N.E.
was made in 1998 (see RLI's post on his contact
with Daniel Sargeant at the maker) Imported by
Cape Outfitters, Missouri.
Condition: As new, prior owned, tight on face, not sent out
to be checked.
Has an interesting "Purdy third bite" between the barrels
that lockup into the breech face and a steel bar slides over
this small 1/4 inch projection.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #14349 - 05/05/04 09:55 PM

Merkel

470 NE

Paid less than $7K

Brand New in Perfect Condition with good wood.

Regulated perfectly with Federal load at 50 and 100 yds.

Only work done was good recoil pad, better sights and trigger job. Not in my possession any longer as some old guy gave me an offer I couldn't refuse after the tweaks were done to it.

Absolutely no commercial interests.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Double rifles - what's happened? + Poll [Re: 475Guy]
      #14741 - 14/05/04 05:14 AM

NitroX,
What you said is exactly what I was saying if you read my post closer...

As to my doubles in 450-400, one I had worked over extensively right off the bat..The other was fresh from Westley Richards but I had some work done on it also..and as you know work on doubles is always expensive...

I love the old english guns and have never denied that..I do however feel that for the neophite who has not delt and studied English double guns that a modern gun is his best course to keep from getting screwed big time....

There are in fact a lot of trash English doubles out there just waiting to be sold...sometimes I get the distenct impression this riles the lovers of English guns, but I see no reason why it should as anything made my man or anything mechinacle is prone to wear out, and such is the case with many English doubles...

This has nothing to do with the good old English guns that still exist, and they are many, but buyer beware is good advise don't you think?????...

As to a using gun in Africa, I have gone over to the other side since I got my Searcy PH, because I believe it to be a better gun from strictly a using point of view and it is...Also it can be replaced, its inexpensive from a double gun standpoint, and if it is stolen I can get another...I would never check a really high end double on an airplane...

As I see it thats the point of this thread.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5820

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com