Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
?? MERKEL OWNERS ??
      #118969 - 17/11/08 12:49 AM

I am particularly interested to hear from Merkel owners especially the 140A in 500NE or 470NE .

1.Do you use the left or right barrel first ?

1.Do you have problems with double discharge if you use the left barrel first ?

3.What are your trigger weights ?

4. What if any problems have you had with a Merkel.

Look forward to your reply's.

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #118970 - 17/11/08 12:54 AM

470NE

1. Right

2. No

3. Adjusted by a gunsmith to 3 - 3.5lbs and 4-5lbs which
is what all my DR's weigh in at.

4. None

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #118972 - 17/11/08 01:21 AM

500, PM sent.
Al

--------------------

500Nitro
.450 member

#118973 - 17/11/08 01:26 AM

PM replied

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #118982 - 17/11/08 04:07 AM

I have a 247SL 12 bore, custom stocked by Merkel, but no double rifle at the moment.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (17/11/08 10:40 PM)

farshot
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/06
Loc: Alberta Canada
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #118994 - 17/11/08 10:11 AM

470 NE Merkel 140, non-ejector- been to Africa twice and used well

Doubled while firing front trigger first after a hundred rounds or so from new.
repaired that, then would double 99% of the time when i used rear trigger first (normally it is front trigger first) - 3 visits to good double gunsmiths (here in Canada) who removed the front set trigger, repaced it with a non-set hinged trigger for my fat fingers because everyone thought it was my fault.

On the 3rd visit - a very small burr on an internal part was finally found to be the reason. Fires excellent and safely now.

I was worried because i love this rifle. BTW I removed the auto safety as well as well as extended the LOp to fit me perfectly.

Trigger weights are approximately 4 front 4.5 rear

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: farshot]
      #119002 - 17/11/08 12:31 PM

only 30-40 rounds through mine and 1 time had a dd and it was my doing front trigger first slipped off hit trigger #2.470NE and i love it.i always wondered if i should of gotten the 500 but for me and what i want done the 470 is all i will ever need.now i want a merkel 12 gauge sxs.damn this double curse.want want want.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: bwananelson]
      #119006 - 17/11/08 01:02 PM

I have a Merkel 140-2 in .500NE. It's #3 of the .500 chambering. I have shot it 500-600 times full nitro. My only problem has been the safety coming on with the first shot. The recoil does it. I sent it back once to have it adjusted to prevent this, but it still would jar the safety on. Then I disassembled the rifle and tweaked the safety myself. Added spring tension to it. No more problems at all.

That was an aggravating problem. You shoot the front trigger, and then the rear won't go off because the safety has jarred on. But now there is no problem.

The rifle is superbly accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Kicks like a mule, but fits well so no sharp pain. I have hunted white tail deer with it with success.

I like my Merkel .500NE. It is one hell of a rifle for the money. And I have best quality rifles to compare it to.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: CptCurl]
      #119013 - 17/11/08 06:06 PM

Was quite happy with my 470NE to the point where I would perches another.
I fired right barrel first and only had one DD.
It did get a fine crack in the stock where it meets the action. Gunsmith epoxied it and no problems.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: ozhunter]
      #119030 - 18/11/08 02:35 AM

Had a 140 in 470NE. Took it to Africa once and took one Elephant with it and a couple of Impala baits. Always used rear trigger first to eliminate doubles. Triggers were set at whatever the factory sets them at. Don't have any way to measure trigger pull and in the 50+ years of building and shooting rifles and pistols have NEVER known what the pull was. As long as they feel right they are right. At least to me. Have had zero problems with Merkels and currently own a 141 in 8x57R and am very happy with it.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #119107 - 19/11/08 12:58 AM

Had one couple of years ago---

usually shot right barrel first--never had a problem with doubling...or any other machanical problems..as Curl mentioned in his reply, for me, it did NOT fit well and kicked worse than any gun I have ever shot...that includes .577 nitro's, etc...

Think for the money, it is a great gun...actually have a sxs in 20 gauge shotgun that I love and use a lot..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Ripp]
      #119108 - 19/11/08 01:41 AM

I thank you all for your comments.
I personally believe they are one of the best value for money double rifles on the market.
Very well made ,well balanced and shoot well.

However in saying that we have run into a couple of minor problems with a particular rifle,one problem in particular is the rifle doubleing if the left barrel,back trigger is used first.
And the trigger weights were 4.5 lbs right and 11 lbs left barrel direct from the factory.
I am confident that the Australian agent will sort it out for me.

Al

--------------------

ftondrus
.224 member

Reged: 20/09/06
      #119220 - 20/11/08 08:35 AM

WE HAVE SUPER PRICING ON MERKEL EXTRACTOR RIFLES - SCROLL ENGRAVED $7,950 DELIVERED TO YOUR FFL DEALER. $1,000 MORE FOR GAME SCENE ENGRAVED WITH UPGRADE WOOD. CALL FOR DETAILS 440 275 1400
OR E MAIL DIRECT FTONDRUS@HOTMAIL.COM

20 @ DISCOUNT ON MERKEL SHOTGUNS TILL 12/31 /2008

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #119347 - 23/11/08 06:55 AM

Quote:

470 NE Merkel 140, non-ejector- been to Africa twice and used well

Doubled while firing front trigger first after a hundred rounds or so from new.
repaired that, then would double 99% of the time when i used rear trigger first (normally it is front trigger first) - 3 visits to good double gunsmiths (here in Canada) who removed the front set trigger, repaced it with a non-set hinged trigger for my fat fingers because everyone thought it was my fault.

On the 3rd visit - a very small burr on an internal part was finally found to be the reason. Fires excellent and safely now.

I was worried because i love this rifle. BTW I removed the auto safety as well as well as extended the LOp to fit me perfectly.

Trigger weights are approximately 4 front 4.5 rear

Farshot, I have two Merkel double rifles, and have had zero problem with either! My first one was bought about 7 yrs ago, and is a 140E, a 9.3X74R ejector rifle, with a set trigger for the right barrel, and an auto safety, for which I disabled the "AUTO" part. I've never been able to understand the "AUTOSAFETY" crap on a double rifle. It makes no more sense that a bolt rifle that comes back on safety each time the bolt is cycled, just dumb.

First off, you must have a 140-1 that has had 470NE barrels made for it, because I have never seen a Merkel 140-2 with a set trigger for the right barrel, or an auto safety. The actions for the 140-1 has the largest chambering 9.3X74R, and the 140-2 which starts at 375 H&H, and ends up at 500NE, are the same action body, but the 140-2 has never, in my experience, come with a set trigger, or an autosafety, or untill lately ejectors. There is a reason for that! The recoil of the larger chamberings sets the right barrel off if the back trigger is fired first, and the chamberings are designed for dangerous game, and most such rifles never have an auto safety.

The little Merkel 141 rifles, built on the 28 ga size action, top out at the 9.3X74R level, and have auto safeties, and are available with ejectors like the 140-1, , or ( 140"E" which is ejectors) built on the 20 ga size.

The new 140-2 Ejector rifles (375H&H through 500NE) are monoblocked as well, instead of being shoelump like all the other Merkel S/S double rifles. This is not bad, just different.

IMO, the Merkel double rifles are value for money, and are as strong as a bank vault!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

ftondrus
.224 member

Reged: 20/09/06
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #119654 - 28/11/08 12:59 PM

i owned a merkel 470 bought new about 2001 that came with a single set trigger on the right trigger.

it functioned flawlessly and never gave any trouble.

it did not have an auto safety.

anyone having trouble with a merkel should promptly contact merkel to arrange repairs. they stand behind their guns.

tom ondrus - the merkel man

sako300
.224 member

Reged: 24/11/07
Loc: BC Canada
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: ftondrus]
      #123679 - 11/01/09 06:55 AM

Fired my Merkel 140-A (375H&H) at the range prior to moose season. No problem with a box of ammo. Then, while double checking the zero at a stump, doubled and split my forehead an inch. Ended that trip!
That was the end of the season, and haven't been to the range yet. I think I'll load one bbl at a time to see if it doubles on me.( I fired the front trigger first I think.) If so, Its going for repair! Anybody know if Merkel guarantees these rifles for life? Its a gorgeous rifle, my favorite. But I'm ugly enough, and don't need help from my rifles!

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: sako300]
      #123680 - 11/01/09 07:06 AM

Quote:

Anybody know if Merkel guarantees these rifles for life? Its a gorgeous rifle, my favorite. But I'm ugly enough, and don't need help from my rifles!

In this case, I'm sure they would as long as there hasn't been any prior work done to the triggers that would take it out of warranty.

I'm sorry to hear of your incident. I'd be very depressed if anything like that happened to my Merkel.

--------------------

herrdoktor
.275 member

Reged: 03/08/07
Loc: Spain
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #123782 - 12/01/09 03:54 AM

I have a 9,3x74R Merkel 150 (boxlock with side plates), it has fired 300-400 rounds. Three years ago the rifle doubled twice the same day with the right trigger. I sent the rifle to my gunsmith, and the trouble was a little burr in the left sear that prevented full engagement. A touch with the file/stone and no more problems up to this day.
The rifle arrived with a very heavy trigger pull (6-7 pounds in the right, more than 10 in the left), so my gunsmith lightened it to 3 and 4 pounds.
No more troubles, shoots fine, 2" or less at 100 yards with GPA ammunition.

gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
      #124296 - 17/01/09 09:04 AM

Always fired right barrel first, never fired left first
rifle was VERY accurate
recoil was less with 86 gr RX 15 with filler then with H 4831
installed mercury tube and recoil pad
never any trouble with rifle, it was really first class
trigger pulls were excessively heavy, just got used to it

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: gei]
      #136878 - 07/06/09 04:57 PM

My Merkel 140-2 is chambered in 500 NE. Took it to Africa last year. Great rifle. About 2 months ago, I let a friend shoot it. It doubled on him. I loaded the right barrel only to check it myself. Did not double. Took it to the range today and fired right and left twice while standing with sticks. Put the rifle on a lead sled to get a good idea of regulation. Rifle doubled 3 times in a row off the lead sled. Contacted the vendor I bought it from. He will be sending it for repair on Monday but says Merkel will stand by it. I hope so as I love this gun. I'll report back after the repair. Good shooting.

JACKP
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/09
Loc: North Carolina
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: HogPilot]
      #136883 - 07/06/09 10:29 PM

This is a very interesting thread.

I'm assuming the Merkel Double Rifles have over hanging sears like the shotguns.
It has always been my belief that the over hanging sears prevented doubling. Is doubling common with most doubles, or just Merkels?

I've never worked on the rifle but I had the stock off a shotgun yesterday and it looks to me like the sears would be forced deeper into engagement under recoil rather that out.

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: JACKP]
      #136887 - 07/06/09 11:29 PM

Doubling is common by most boxlock double rifle's, not only by Merkel, and the problem are the sears or the trigger's! The gunmaker's have alway's a explication, but our problem is the very hard recoil by the big bore double's!

merkel141
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/09
Loc: Halifax NS Canada
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: zimhunter]
      #136895 - 08/06/09 01:07 AM

Zimhunter
I too have a merkel 141 in 8x57IRS. I have mine for black bear, moose & deer on the East Coast Of Canada. So far I like the little rifle but have had it one season and only shot one buck with it. The rifle worked very well. I would like too know what you use your DR for? Pro & cons of the 8x57 round? Do you handload for it? If so what recipe works for you. Do you use Norma Oryx ammo? If so how does it preform on game?

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: grandveneur]
      #136898 - 08/06/09 02:49 AM

Quote:

Doubling is common by most boxlock double rifle's, not only by Merkel, and the problem are the sears or the trigger's! The gunmaker's have alway's a explication, but our problem is the very hard recoil by the big bore double's!

No, No, No, No. This is not correct.

Most Boxlocks do not Double. It is a rare occurance for a good boxlock to double for any reason other than shooter error.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: mickey]
      #137169 - 12/06/09 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No, No, No, No. This is not correct.

Most Boxlocks do not Double. It is a rare occurance for a good boxlock to double for any reason other than shooter error.

I absolutely agree! I have owned at least a dozen boxlock double rifles of about every maker, and I have never had a DD except when wet finger slipped off the front trigger, and hit the back trigger. I have two Merkel double rifle today, and have zero trouble with any aspect with these rifles. #1 is a 140E, 9.3X74R that I have had for alomst ten years with not one problem, #2 is a 140-2, 470NE , and I have had this rifle for 4 yrs, and the previous owner had it a 3 yrs, with no problems. The first owner of the 470NE double took it to Africa twice, took two elephant, and three buffalo with it, and I have shot, and hunted with it a bunch in North America, I have yet to take the 470NE t0 Africa, but the 9.3X74R has been three times,takeing two buffalo and a fine eland, one shot each.

The triggers on my 470NE double is 4# for the front trigger, and 4.5# for the back trigger trigger pull. The 9.3 double has 4.5# for both triggers!

Both rifles are very accurate, and are built like a bank vault! Very good rifles for the price. and the only mods needed on them is a recoil pad, and that allows you to adjust the length of pull while installing the recoil pad!

.......................Value for money spent, IMO!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #137723 - 21/06/09 06:55 PM

Quote:

1.Do you have problems with double discharge if you use the left barrel first ?

I've seen several Merkels double discharge when the left barrel was fired first. At our DRSS hog hunts we shoot a lot of different DRs, and quite a few Merkels show up.

One guy has a new 141 in 9.3. The first time I watched him shoot it, he double discharged it three times in a row, using the rear trigger first. At the next hunt six months later, he double discharged it twice again, still using the rear trigger first. I then fired two pair with it in the normal R/L order with no problems.

A good friend had a Model 140 in .500 NE. It was developing a hairline crack in the stock head on the left side, but had otherwise been fine. At another of our hunts, a visiting Zim PH (a young, big guy) wanted to try it. Worried about a double discharge, he pulled the rear trigger first. When both barrels went off, the recoil drove the front trigger into his trigger finger so hard that the trigger was bent foward and out to the right and ended up sticking out of the trigger guard. His finger was cut to the bone. The owner had it fixed and sold it.

I remember another Merkel that did this, but can't remember the specifics now. Merkels are the only DRs I've seen double discharge when the left barrel is fired first. From the comments posted above, it may be more of a recurring problem than I had thought.

Quote:

posted by HogPilot:
Put the rifle on a lead sled to get a good idea of regulation. Rifle doubled 3 times in a row off the lead sled.

A double rifle should never be fired in a lead sled, especially the large ones. True regulation can't be achieved that way to begin with, and risk of significant damage is quite real.

Quote:

Posted by Mickey:

Exactly right. It's rare for any QUALITY double rifle to double discharge for any mechanical reason. DDs are almost always shooter error.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #137724 - 21/06/09 07:31 PM

Wouldn't sidelocks be even less likely to double, having more sophisticated safety provisions?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Paul]
      #137726 - 21/06/09 07:58 PM

No, not really. Many boxlocks have intercepting sears as well, but that won't prevent a double discharge if both triggers are pulled, and that's the cause 90+% of the time. If the trigger finger slips off the front trigger during the recoil impulse of the right barrel, it will hit the rear trigger under the force of recoil. Since there's weight on the trigger, the overhanging sear won't prevent the discharge of the left barrel. I've watched shooters do this many times, and they're never aware that they induced the DD. Part of the heavy double learning curve for the individual shooter is modifying trigger technique to eliminate the problem.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #137727 - 21/06/09 08:26 PM

Thanks 400NE.
That reminds me of the origins of the single trigger. As I recall, Westley Richards set theirs up to only fire the second barrel on the third pressure - knowing that recoil would release the finger from the trigger but that reflexes would tighten it back up, making the second, involuntary, pressure.

- Paul

Edited by Paul (21/06/09 08:28 PM)

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

#137776 - 22/06/09 09:46 PM

The trigger weights I quoted were those given to me by the owner of the particular rifle.
A reputable gunsmith checked the trigger weights and found them to be around 5 pounds and not what the owner claimed.

Al

--------------------

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
      #137816 - 23/06/09 09:02 AM

Merkels, double triggers and doubling.

I was brought up with double trigger side by side shotguns and was taught to fire front (right barrel) first followed by the rear trigger. Right barrels normally had less choke than the left, if the tighter choke barrel was required first it was selected by simply using the rear trigger, doubling was unheard of. This was standard practice in the UK.

Moving on to double rifles for dangerous game it follows to use the same instinctive operation. Front trigger first. Instead of using the choice of trigger to select the choke, the choice of trigger could be used to select a solid or soft nose bullet if one of each was loaded in each barrel.

I’m not wishing to pick a fight but if you have to pull the rear trigger first to avoid doubling then you are doing something wrong. Maybe a single trigger double rifle is the rifle for you, although I personally feel that you are loosing some of the benefit of having a double when you opt for a single trigger.

I use a Merkel 140 double in 9.3 x 74R, I purchased her new, I have fired over 800 rds in the last two years, a mixture of reloads and factory and never had her double. This Merkel is a firm favorite of mine and she will be leaving with me for our fourth Safari on Saturday. My rifle was ordered with no set trigger and manual safety as I want to have her as a back up rifle for dangerous game (my first rifle been an old English .470 NE) and I wanted to keep the operation the same as my .470 and simple. There is no adjustable muzzle device on my Merkel. I instinctively always fire the front trigger first. I should also add that I am left handed, my guns are unaltered and I never have a problem.

I also operate Wolverine Supplies in Canada, we stock and sell Merkel double rifles. We have had three reports of customers double rifles (Merkel all .470 NE) doubling. Two operators have only had it happen once each, they admit it may have been operator error. I have asked them to pay particular attention to how they operate their rifles and report back if it happens again. The third operator had it happen once, he admitted he was using the back trigger first as he had heard that using the back trigger first was the correct way!

Our gunsmith Wolfgang, has just returned from a trip to Europe, whilst there he spent two days with Merkel, this is what he has just reported;

All Merkel double rifles are designed to have the front trigger operated first.

With the lighter caliber (up to and including 9.3 x 74R) the correct firing sequence is to fire the front trigger (Right barrel) first following by the rear trigger. For optimum accuracy the second barrel needs to be fired with in ten seconds, this is due to the heating of the barrel. This is the same sequence which is used when the rifles are regulated.

Set triggers are normally standard on the lighter calibers, these are very much a personal previous. Safeties are normally automatic and on a non dangerous game rifle this is fine, unless like me, you prefer to have your personal rifles standardized.

The larger caliber Merkel double rifles, .375 H&H and up are fitted with a flatter sear angle on the rear trigger, this is to allow for the inertia when the front trigger fires the right barrel and help avoid doubling. These rifles are also regulated with the front trigger firing the right barrel first followed by the rear trigger firing the left, so for optimum accuracy and reliability this is how they should be operated.

My personal view, which is a strong one, is that on a double rifle intended for dangerous game, the choice of which trigger is pulled first should have absolutely no bearing on weather the rifle is likely to double or not. I will only accept 100% reliable operation and with my option of barrel selection. Why anyone would accept anything less for the price is beyond me. Next week I will be carrying my old .470 with a solid in the right barrel and a soft nose in the left whilst I hunt Cape Buffalo, I do this with 100% confidence in my rifle and my ability with her.

Merkel will on request fit the front trigger with same flatter sear angle as the rear trigger, this will insure that operators like me who require the option of barrel selection and those of you who prefer to pull the rear trigger first will have no problems with doubling. In the future when we order Merkel rifles in the large calibers will always order them with these matching triggers. I am told they a little heavier, I don’t have the weights.

We have requested that this information is added to the operators manuals and we are told that it has been their intention to do this.

I hope this information is of assistance, for what’s worth I think that Merkel double rifles offer exceptional value for money, but any new piece of equipment should be given a good work out before you bet your life of it’s reliable performance.

Regards John

Edited by John (23/06/09 09:03 AM)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: John]
      #137824 - 23/06/09 12:02 PM

John,

Good summary of DR usage.

I agree the Merkel represents top value for the money. I have one of the very first .500NE Merkels (SN 3). I have shot it hundreds of times. It's a great rifle for what it cost.

I've doubled it a time or two. Always because I just put the very tip of my trigger finger on the trigger, like using a bolt gun. Every double rifle user should be aware that the rule of just the tip of the finger on the trigger is great for bolts, but it doesn't work for doubles. Put your finger on the trigger up to the first joint. No more doubling.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#137826 - 23/06/09 12:36 PM

Quote:

Posted by John:

I’m not wishing to pick a fight but if you have to pull the rear trigger first to avoid doubling then you are doing something wrong.

...My personal view, which is a strong one, is that on a double rifle intended for dangerous game, the choice of which trigger is pulled first should have absolutely no bearing on weather the rifle is likely to double or not. I will only accept 100% reliable operation and with my option of barrel selection. Why anyone would accept anything less for the price is beyond me.

Amen!

Quote:

Posted by CptCurl:

Every double rifle user should be aware that the rule of just the tip of the finger on the trigger is great for bolts, but it doesn't work for doubles. Put your finger on the trigger up to the first joint. No more doubling.

Bingo. The modification to trigger technique that I was referring to. Most folks need to do this. Surprising how many are so utterly defeated by something so simple.

BTW, John, it was a pleasure to meet you in Reno. Hope to see you there again.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #137837 - 23/06/09 07:11 PM

Hi John

In your very informative post on using DG doubles you made reference to carrying your old 470 with a solid in the right and a soft in the left for buffalo. Having just outlined that one should use the front trigger/right barrel first I am wondering if you meant the soft in the right barrel which I thought was standard practice for buffs. Soft first shot followed by a solid at a possible departing or charging animal? Sorry if I have misunderstood.
Very good post as was CptCurl's re finger to the first joint on a double trigger arrangement.

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: eagle27]
      #137849 - 23/06/09 11:34 PM

eagle27
Thanks for your comments.
This will be the first hunt when I carry solid and soft nose at the same time, for Ellie it was two solid and on other occasions two soft.
My reasoning for a solid in the right barrel was that in the event of a sudden confrontation, I would be shooting straight down his nose or in to his chest so a solid would be preferred and when faced with a quick shot my instinct (read panic!) would take over and I would be firing the front trigger. I think solids would be preferred on most shots unless faced with a broadside shot with other animals beyond him, this would be a deliberate shot so hopefully I would have time to select the correct barrel.

My main point is that one should be able to select either barrel at choice, with no fear of doubling. I will discuss how I load with my PH before the hunt starts, all I have to remember is which barrel I load with which rd. This is going to be very interesting and different for me.

John

500Nitro
.450 member

#137852 - 23/06/09 11:54 PM

John,

I disagree.

Soft - Right, Solid - Left.

You have 2 barrels, even if you face a charge and
fire the Soft first, you still have the second to
fire and it is pretty quick.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#137858 - 24/06/09 02:47 AM

I have always carried my double rifles with a soft in the right barrel, and a solid in the left while hunting buffalo. The one time I was charged un-provoked, from close range I was carrying a 500/450 NE double rifle loaded that way. I still fired the right barrel first, aimed at the chest, followed close behind by the solid in the left barrel aimed at the brain!

That bull took a 480 gr Woodliegh soft in the heart, similtaniously the heart also took a 300 gr soft point from the PH's 375 H&H bolt rifle. Both shots hitting the heart, seemingly without effect being visible. The next shot was the 480 hitting the bull in the face scrambleing the brain, with another 300 gr solid hiting the face off center, because the 480 gr solid hit it first turning the head slightly. The second 375 bullet went into the cheek of the buff, exiting at the back of the bull's right jaw, and re-entering just inside of the right shoulder, and skidding along the ribcage stopping between the scapula, and ribs.
All four bullets hit the buff, and the first two were lethal, but not stoppers, and if both the second shots had missed the brain, one or both of us would have been in big trouble. If the last two shots had been reversed and the brain had been hit by the 375 the result would have been the same. The reason the second 375 bullet hit off center is because the 500/450 fired the second faster than the 375 was because the 375H&H was in a BERNO bolt rifle, and was fired a split second later than the double rifle chambered for the 500/450NE.

I have fired my 470NE Merkel double rifle both ways many times and it has never caused a double discharge, nor has the Merkel 9.3X74R double doubled but once, and that was caused by a sweaty trigger finger, slipping off the front trigger, and hitting the back trigger, and I felt it when it happened! I have also owned a number of S/S Merkel shotguns as well, and have never experienced a doubleing with them either, no matter which barrel was fired first! I personally do not think this is a problem with Merkel doubles, but I do think it is a problem with shooters!

--------------------

.224 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Australia, Perth
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #137882 - 24/06/09 01:41 PM

I almost bought a new Merkel double in .470 recently after missing out on a second hand one. But whilst I was calling around I got talking to a dealer with double experience, and he talked them down. He told me about a new .500 Merkel that doubled and blew to bits in Western Australia recently (maybe the rear trigger first, who knows). And that they shot loose quite regularly sometimes after as little as 70 rounds, and when they get sent back for repair they shim the action somehow, and once it is out of warranty you are on your own. I have never heard about this before, or since I am not sure if this particular dealer had an axe to grind or what. I have not put this post in to start an argument or any such nonsence, so please don't shoot the messenger. It is just what I heard and it stopped me buying one as I couldn't disprove it at the time. Has any one else heard about this.
P.S. The shooting loose part only referred to calibres above .470

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: 010166]
      #137891 - 24/06/09 05:33 PM

Certainly interesting to hear differant points of view on whether to use a soft or solid first on buffalo. I must admit when hunting the Aussie buffalo I tended to have a solid first up in the magazine although I did use some softs as well. I was not so knowledgable at that earlier age as to what I "should" use. I have always liked a high chest or shoulder shot on any animal as a good one to anchor on the spot so probably chose the solid to make sure of enough grunt when hitting bone. Generally found the bulls out on their own so did not have to consider over penetration.

The link I posted in Mauser photo forum to some photos of my 404 and a shot on a bull buffalo show the effect of a 400 gr solid high in the chest. The advantage of the double is you do have an instant choice provided you don't double of course.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#137900 - 24/06/09 08:50 PM

Quote:

I almost bought a new Merkel double in .470 recently after missing out on a second hand one. But whilst I was calling around I got talking to a dealer with double experience, and he talked them down. He told me about a new .500 Merkel that doubled and blew to bits in Western Australia recently (maybe the rear trigger first, who knows). And that they shot loose quite regularly sometimes after as little as 70 rounds, and when they get sent back for repair they shim the action somehow, and once it is out of warranty you are on your own. I have never heard about this before, or since I am not sure if this particular dealer had an axe to grind or what. I have not put this post in to start an argument or any such nonsence, so please don't shoot the messenger. It is just what I heard and it stopped me buying one as I couldn't disprove it at the time. Has any one else heard about this.
P.S. The shooting loose part only referred to calibres above .470

That's pure crap and has been thoroughly discussed on many threads here on NE.com in past years.

I personally have shot many hundreds of rounds through my .500NE Merkel. The action is still so tight it does not snap fully closed when loading - I have to push the lever to the left slightly.

The above story was a myth promulgated early on, assumably to disparage the Merkel DR's. If you chose not to buy because of this myth, you are the one who suffered.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

#137902 - 24/06/09 09:04 PM

I've shot in the stopping rifle event at the Vintage Cup for the past 11 years and have never seen a Merkel or a Krighoff double rifle "double" on the trigger pull. Those events consist of 2 rounds of 20 shots with many fired in quick sucession.

--------------------

JDD
.224 member

Reged: 22/09/04
      #137913 - 25/06/09 12:02 AM

My "new" 140 in 470 nitro came with the toe of the stock cracked. It has reamer chatter in the neck of the chamber that is bad enough to leave rings on the case necks! The safety has started slipping back on after the first shot. Quality control was not impressive on the rifle. I knew it was a bottom line working rifle but I expected better.

The good news is that the reamer marks do not seem to effect case life. I was able to remove the crack by installing a 11/2" pad.

The rifle shoots very well and I was able to fit the stock to me with a little sanding ,that reduced felt recoil a lot.

It has doubled 3 times, right barrel fired first, I have trouble with my hands and It may have been my fault.

The thing that pissed me off the most,about the whole problem was the lack of response,I got from their gunsmith. I got burned by UPS on several claims and do not like shipping expensive firearms.

I was prepared to drive 5 hours to bring the rifle in. Their gunsmith would not agree to meet with me while I was there. He said I could drop it off, but he would not stop to meet with me. He must of felt his time was more important than mine!!!! I was going to look at a 20 GA while there, his lack of interest cost them a sale I purchased a AYA #2 round body instead. It was only a $8000.00 rifle I realize he was to busy to fixing broke Merkel to worry about my problems.

JD

Edited by JDD (25/06/09 12:05 AM)

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

#137919 - 25/06/09 12:50 AM

Be very sure of your facts before making such statments.
No one has ever refused to repair the said 500 and no it didnt blowup.
It might be said that the someone has an ego problem and bit of more than he could chew.
Will post results when this sorry mess is over and finished.

--------------------

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #137925 - 25/06/09 04:35 AM

John,

Thanks for the very informative post.

Quote:

Merkels, double triggers and doubling.

Merkel will on request fit the front trigger with same flatter sear angle as the rear trigger, this will insure that operators like me who require the option of barrel selection and those of you who prefer to pull the rear trigger first will have no problems with doubling.....

This seems like a very good idea.....proper finger/trigger placement still necessary

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: AzGuy]
      #137927 - 25/06/09 04:53 AM

How come for 100's of years, this "doubling" hasn't been a problem yet all of a sudden, "Merkel" have a problem product ?

Sounds to me like people have become so used to Single trigger shotguns they have lost the ability to use double triggers and / or they need to get their technique right.

I have 2 Merkel's, neither is a problem, both shoot well.
I also have multiple other double rifle's, and only one ever doubled and that turned out to be worn mechanism which was fixed.

And as for blowing up, well, what can you, if it had it would have been all over every internet forum.

The whole things sounds like more internet bullshit
rehashed.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: JDD]
      #137930 - 25/06/09 04:57 AM

Quote:

The safety has started slipping back on after the first shot.

I had that problem also. It went back to GSI for a fix, but the problem surfaced again. Second time I disassembled the gun and manipulated the safety button's leaf spring to provide more tension. No more problem.

The only other problem I have had is a loosening of the steel bar used for ballast in the stock. I did a simple re-vamp of its mounting in the butt, and the problem was solved.

I discussed these problems in detail in various earlier posts on NE.com.

All in all I consider these minor problems, and they are now resolved. This ain't no Holland and Holland.

As I have said in some of my earlier posts, I more-or-less expected the stock to crack with use. I set out to shoot the rifle as many times as I possibly could during the first year in the effort to break the stock, have it come off face, or have something else come unglued. I don't think many people would shoot a .500 Nitro as many times as I did in a lifetime.

First problem was with the steel weight in the butt. It was so easy to fix I saw no reason to send it in. I fixed it myself.

Second and more serious problem was the safety knocking "on" under recoil. I knew it was lack of spring tension. I didn't want to disassemble the rifle, so I sent it back. GSI paid the freight both ways. The gunsmith, Herbert, was very attentive. He called me to discuss the problems when the rifle went in, and he called me to discuss his fixes when he was ready to send it back to me. He said my fix on the steel weight was plenty good. As I stated, he didn't put enough spring tension on the safety. I'm sure I could have sent it back, but I then decided to fix it myself. I did, and that's that. I kinda wanted a tour of the insides anyway.

At this date, the rifle works perfectly and the stock has no cracks. I can't complain. It's accurate and tight. I really don't know what would make the rifle come off face. This one is barely getting broken in.

I think they are really good rifles by any standard, and when you factor in the low cost, what a deal!

That's my experience, and I have nothing to gain or lose by reporting it. As they say, your mileage may vary!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#137988 - 25/06/09 10:42 PM

To the membership:

This morning I received an email from "010166", whose identity I will protect unless he chooses to reveal it. His very kind email made me realize he felt I had been abrupt or rude in my post about "pure crap" above. I did not intend to be rude, and I have apologized to him. Let me now post my reply to him, and in so doing, offer an apology to the membership at large:

I just got your email. Thanks for the contact. From what you have said, I assume you posted as "010166".

I think from reading your email you took my reply to be rude or abrupt. I just went back to the thread on NE.com and re-read all the posts from the beginning. I can fairly see that my post might be interpreted as an attack on the messenger. That was not my intention, and I apologize.

The internet is a most wonderful means of communication. It allows worldwide discussions of almost any topic. In our case, it allows discussions of guns, rifles, and hunting. I am one of the most ardent fans of NE.com, both for its topics and for its civility.

At the same time, the internet is a blunt instrument. We see no facial expression; we hear no tone of voice. It lacks many subtleties of personal conversation that add meaning to what we say almost as much as the words we use. I am confident had we been face to face you would not have deemed my response as rude, abrupt, or condescending. But having read it again this morning in the light of your email I see that you did. Please accept my assurance that my intentions were good.

I have no interest in promoting Merkel. I have no stake in the company, nor do I sell their products. I am strictly a consumer; and I happened to buy one of the very first of their DR's chambered in .500NE. That cartridge has been mythical to me, and when I heard they were chambering their inexpensive rifle in that round, I set out to buy one. At that time, the old myth about Merkels being soft, coming off face, etc., etc. was rampant across the internet. I was determined to find out for myself, and I was willing to plunk down the money it would take to find out. Mind you, I didn't put much credence in the disparaging rumors. After all, Merkel had been making double guns and rifles for 100 years. I figured they knew a thing or two. But that was the context of my purchase, and I set out to put as many rounds through that rifle as I could, while still under warranty, to find out the truth. If the myth turned out to be true I intended to make their lives miserable.

To backtrack a bit. The U.S. importer was GSI. I had met one of the principals of that company some years before at the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show. A man named Einer Hoff. In searching for a .500 to buy, I got Einer on the phone. I wanted to know if any had been imported, how many; and I wanted to grill him about the "myth" of poor quality. I found out that only 5 were in the U.S. at that time. They were having some trouble importing the rifles because of it being .50 caliber. Three were still in stock at GSI. Einer steadfastly denied any quality control problems and assured me that the rumors were untrue. I virtually extracted a "money back guarantee" from him. I had a friend who wanted a .500 also, so we ended up buying two of the three that GSI had. We received them on April 17, 2004. The rifles were SN 3 and SN 13. My friend and I chose them at random, and I got #3. I told my friend I didn't want #13, the unlucky number!

Then we set out to destroy the rifles by using them as they were intended to be used. We couldn't destroy them. I have detailed the findings several times on NE.com and won't repeat them again here. My two problems were the weight in the stock and the safety. Same problems with #13. These problems are easily fixed. Yes the rifles have a few warts. Interestingly, the "myth" never said anything about these minor problems. None of the storied myth is true.

When mine arrived it was stiff and difficult to close. Slamming it shut resulted in the lever being well to the right and the Greener crossbolt being out to the left somewhat. Operation of #13 was similar, but not quite as stiff. Merkel specifically mentions this stiffness in its owner's manual and assures that after a few hundred rounds the gun will ease up. During this "break in" period you should close the gun and push the lever fully to the left. My rifle has smoothed up considerably and is just about to the point of not needing to be pushed to the left. The other rifle, #13, smoothed up a little quicker. I am entirely satisfied with this break in period. These are not hand-made rifles. They are dirt cheap in the context of what double rifles cost.

So I dispelled the myth from my mind and have endeavored to dispel the myth from the internet. Yeah, the rifles have their warts, but money-wise they are the best deal on today's market, in my opinion.

I am not a connoisseur of cheap or entry level doubles. In the context of what I collect my advocacy of Merkel is far overblown. I don't like to see a product get hammered unjustly. Believe me, if my rifle had confirmed the myth I would have made Einer Hoff and GSI utterly miserable. My internet posts would have chronicled the undoing of Rifles #3 and #13. That just hasn't been the case.

I have received nothing from GSI, Einer Hoff, or anybody. I paid for my rifle, and I have paid for all my ammunition. Nobody asked me to undertake my quest. I have no axe to grind other than my desire to own a .500NE and my curiosity of whether the myth could possibly be true.

Now back to your email. Again I sincerely apologize for giving the impression of rudeness or impatience. That was not my desire. I do my best to maintain the civil atmosphere of NE.com, to the point of calling people down when they argue. Please feel free to join in. I will not shoot the messenger. Also feel free to continue any private discussion with me by way of private email. I am an enthusiastic advocate of double rifles and guns, and I like to converse with those of like minds.

I will take the liberty of also posting this reply to NE.com to dispel any notion that your post was inappropriate or that I had any anger in mine.

Thank you very much for your email.

Sincerely,
Roscoe Stephenson
"CptCurl"

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

.224 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Australia, Perth
      #137990 - 25/06/09 11:23 PM

I have recieved the above email today from Rosco and on reading the email I understand with his help that his intentions were not what I thought. And on the rumour of the .500 Merkel blowing to bits, well after a long and I will say enjoyable phone conversation with another Nitro EX member I was told that it is total rubbish, but there is a story all the same. After what I have learnt in just a couple of hours today, I would have no hesitation in buying a Merkel double rifle.

Thank you,
Bill Goodland

DandyofPunjab
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/05
Loc: Punjab
      #137993 - 25/06/09 11:50 PM

All for one; one for all

Now which one of you is buying Dom Perignon

--------------------
Fear None, Frighten None

Edited by DandyofPunjab (25/06/09 11:57 PM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#138087 - 27/06/09 05:48 AM

Quote:

I have recieved the above email today from Rosco and on reading the email I understand with his help that his intentions were not what I thought. And on the rumour of the .500 Merkel blowing to bits, well after a long and I will say enjoyable phone conversation with another Nitro EX member I was told that it is total rubbish, but there is a story all the same. After what I have learnt in just a couple of hours today, I would have no hesitation in buying a Merkel double rifle.

Thank you,
Bill Goodland

Bill like CaptCurl, I have shot several bullets down range through a pair of Merkel double rifles, but unlike The Capt, I have had zero problems with any rifle or shotgun made by Merkel I have ever owned. Mine are a 470NE and a 9.3X74R both 140s.

The rumors started about the Merkel double rifles were started by a person I happen to know very well. This rumor was because this dealer was selling a competitor of Merkel, and simply could not compete with the Merkel price point, so decided to disspell any voice on the true quality of the Merkel line, with the rediculous crap you were told. There are hundreds of Merkel double rifles in use in Africa today by PHs, and clients alike, with the result being the myths have been mostly disspelled. It still flaires up from time to time, and in every case when the person repeating the myth is questioned,we find the he was told by someone wanting to sell you something else!

If the Capt tells you something you can take it to the bank. He knows his double rifles, and is not shy about correcting myths. That is good because companies have been ruined by this type of gossip, and we as a group need to correct the false info presented on the net. SO! I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take offence when someone corrects info that you post when they know it is in error. The messenger is safe here!

--------------------

Lylejkd
.224 member

Reged: 17/07/19
Loc: Australia
      #330213 - 17/07/19 09:46 AM

I JUST BOUGHT A MERKEL 500 NE AND IT WAS FINE FOR THE 1ST 50 SHOTS BUT NOW IT STARTED DD. I HAVE USED REAR TRIGGER FIRST THE WHOLE TIME. THIS PROBLEM STARTED YESTERDAY 16/7/19. RIFLE 2 WEEKS OLD.

Edited by Lylejkd (17/07/19 09:47 AM)

Lylejkd
.224 member

Reged: 17/07/19
Loc: Australia
      #330214 - 17/07/19 10:37 AM

farshot my new merkel 500 ne just started dd as well do you know where the burr was? thanks

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: Lylejkd]
      #330258 - 18/07/19 06:54 PM

Does it double if you use the front trigger first?

Did you buy it new or second hand? (if second hand, how old is it?)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: ?? MERKEL OWNERS ?? [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #330275 - 19/07/19 03:16 AM

Front trigger is usually set up with a lighter engagement, for the first shot.
Rear trigger is built with slightly greater engagement on the sear to withstand the recoil of the front trigger's barrel.
In shooting the rear (upper) barrel first, you are reversing the 'normal' routine of firing.

I know, Elmer used to say to fire the rear trigger first. Most double guns are not set up for that, though.

I am only repeating what I have read.
I've owned only double shotguns, never a CF DR. With the shotguns, it did not matter which bl. was fired first - no doubling unless 2 fingers were inside the TG.
This usually resulted in the need for a bandage to assist in stopping the bleeding.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 151 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 27578

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com