Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Only one DR --- for North America

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: CptCurl]
      #106574 - 03/06/08 04:04 PM

Curl,
Mr Brunner is located in CA., no? IF so I would like his contact #s also, please?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: gatsby]
      #106590 - 03/06/08 08:58 PM

P.M.'s sent!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: CptCurl]
      #106639 - 04/06/08 10:05 AM

With all big game on the menue, I'd go with the 9.3x74 - or a rimmed version of the 9.3x57. Either would easily handle anything from deer & black bears to moose, elk and griz (coastal as well as inland)
; One needs only to use a good bullet, appropriate to the animal being hunted and his properly - all easy tasks. One does need to practise, not just think about it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

capoward
.224 member

Reged: 09/08/07
Loc: Southern California, USA
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: AzGuy]
      #106958 - 07/06/08 12:51 PM

A 450/400 Nitro Express 3” with QD scope would be the best all around North American DR; not to heavy nor to light and definitely deadly.

dherr
.224 member

Reged: 17/06/08
Loc: PA, USA
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: mickey]
      #107848 - 22/06/08 01:14 AM

Cptcurl, do you know anything about H. Mahillon of Begium. I have a nice double in 9x57R that shoots 200 gr Hawk bullets nicely. I also would like the contact info for your ring guy if possible.
Thanks,
Dave Herr

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: dherr]
      #107866 - 22/06/08 05:35 AM

Hello Dave-

The Mahillon name from Belgium is an old and highly respected brand of firearms.
For the most part they were a retailer, but a retailer of high quality equipment.
Many of the world's most famous makers, regarded as the best, also have guns and rifles (even of 'best' grade) made by outsource craftsmen and gunbuilding shops.
If your rifle bears the Mahillon mark, it's a sure bet it's a high quality firearm.
It is typically not very easy to determine exactly who or which shop built any particular high grade Belgian firearm.
Your rifle has special stampings in the metal known as proof marks that help tell the story of when and sometimes by whom it was built and test-fired at the local proof-house. There also may be marks indicating what specific load it was built to perform properly with.

What can you tell us about your rifle?
How long have you had it, what is the configuration (SxS,O/U,sidelock,boxlock,ejector...) and how is the condition?

Can you post images of your rifle?
If you can get us very clear images of all the marks and engraving on the rifle, we may be able to help steer you to an answer with more useful information to you.
The proof marks will be found on the surfaces of the barrels that mate with the rifle's action metal, also there will be marks on the action surfaces that mate with the barrels.
There will also be marks on the barrels further forward of the action flats, under the forend wood.

The more information we have to look at, the better we can help you identify the specifics of your nice double rifle.

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

moltogordo
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: AzGuy]
      #108459 - 29/06/08 12:19 PM

I've never hunted with a double rifle, but if I had one made up, I'd get one made for a .375-'06 improved.

I have a custom bolt rig in this calibre. I build the cases up on .35 Whelen brass, load 62 grains of IMR4895 for 2600 fps with a Nosler 260 grain partition. I get about 2400 fps with a 300 grain Hornady. Seems to me it'll do about what the old .375 did in it's heyday.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Only one DR --- for North America [Re: moltogordo]
      #108494 - 29/06/08 07:24 PM

Quote:

I've never hunted with a double rifle, but if I had one made up, I'd get one made for a .375-'06 improved.

I have a custom bolt rig in this calibre. I build the cases up on .35 Whelen brass, load 62 grains of IMR4895 for 2600 fps with a Nosler 260 grain partition. I get about 2400 fps with a 300 grain Hornady. Seems to me it'll do about what the old .375 did in it's heyday.

Similar to the .375 Nitro Express perhaps but the .375 NE is a rimmed cartridge.

Also the .375 H&H Flanged which is the rimmed version of the .375 H&H Magnum.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10275

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com