Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lead sled and stocks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: Spring]
      #105999 - 24/05/08 11:14 PM

This is what we use. It gives
with the recoil. It works very
well. We use it for site in ,
or testing and have never had
a problem on any double.
http://www.lahticompany.com/

PS: We dont strap the rifle in we
just use it as a rest and let it
soak up some of the recoil.

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

Edited by k80 (25/05/08 08:28 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: Spring]
      #106010 - 25/05/08 02:36 AM

i rmember a few posts about gouged stocks ect from people who used sleds and later regreted the use of this item.think big bores were not meant for every marksman

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Lead sled and stocks [Re: bwananelson]
      #106022 - 25/05/08 11:01 AM

After I got done slaughtering the sheep, I shot the .308 tests and then thought an impromptu test with the sled might be in order.

I used my Ruger .308 Ultralight. It is a very light rifle with a very thin, whippy barrel. I did freefloat the barrel and bed the action is Acraglas Gel, as well as working over the trigger to a crisp 3.75 lbs.

Here are some pic's:

Picture 1 BELOW: Two 3-shot groups. On the left is a group shot with the butt lifted off the bottom of the rest. 2 1/2".

On the right is a group with the butt resting on the bottom of the rear rest and against the back. 1 1/4"

Note: both groups shot with forestock merely resting on the front bag.

Picture 2 BELOW: Two 3-shot groups. On the left is a group I shot while I was sitting on an artillery ammo can with my elbows resting on my knees. 2"

On the right is a group shot from the bench, using sandbags for a rest, NOT using the Lead Sled. 3/4"

Picture 3 BELOW: Two 5-shot groups shot at one of my hunting practice targets. There is no clear aiming point. On the left is a group shot from sitting on the ammo can, elbows on knees. 3 1/4 inches.

On the right, a group shot from the Caldwell Lead Sled with support hand pulling the forestock down onto the front bag. 3 7/8 inches.

On the whole, the Ruger perfromed a lot differently on the sled than did my heavy 12 pound Savage. The sled works well for the Savage but for bench shooting with a normal hunting rifle two things stood out:

1} The sled, like any other shooting method, takes getting used to. I basically don't like using it.

2} It certainly reduces recoil, but the shooting experience is so weird and unnatural compared to my usual positions that it will, for me, be used primarily for varmint shooting, since it works well for me with a HEAVY varmint rifle and in fact, I really do not have a rifle that kicks hard enough to need the sled as a recoil reducer. If I ever get a real bruiser, I'll use the sled and comment. For now, I don't have that type of experience. I can see how the sled could be very helpful during an extended range session with a shoulder-breaker {as when working up loads}.

For my purposes, I'm glad I got it for free...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8741

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com