Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety? [Re: xausa]
      #101881 - 07/04/08 12:01 PM

XAUSA

Awesome hunt--curious--looking at your elephant--was that hunt in Tanzania??

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety? [Re: Ripp]
      #101892 - 07/04/08 01:56 PM

If not Tanzania then defiantly Kenya.
Was that Bull taken on a Sasil farm?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety? [Re: ozhunter]
      #101894 - 07/04/08 02:38 PM

Actually, the photos are a composite of three hunts.

Both the elephants were taken in Kenya, one as you surmised on a sisal plantation just on the edge of the Amboseli Game Reserve. He was one of a group of elephant which came out of the Reserve at night to raid the sisal. You might just make out a puncture on my right arm which was the result of an encounter with one of the sharp sisal thorns. The other elephant, the one with the enormous (96 pound) single tusk, was taken on the very last day of the hunt near the Tana River in the North East Territory, where we had been tracking elephant for three weeks. The rhino was a trespasser on private land adjacent to the Aberdares Game Reserve. Had I not shot him, the Game Department would have, on the basis of land owner complaints.

I have no pictures of the two elephants taken in Tanzania, except for the one of Sabuni, the tracker, holding the freshly extracted tusk, but the leopard was taken the same day, and the greater kudu and lion represented another day's bag. The three buffalos were taken in the space of about two minutes out of a very cooperative herd. All of the Tanzanian trophies came from Ker, Downey's concession in the Selous.

The record book Peter's gazelle as well as the very large bodied buffalo were taken in Kenya on my last trip there. This was after the ban on elephant hunting had been in effect, but obviously before the absolute ban on hunting.

I consider myself most fortunate to have been able to experience that kind of hunting under those circumstances, which will never, I'm afraid, be available again.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #101895 - 07/04/08 02:58 PM

You've had some unbelievable experiences and yes, sad to say, will probably never be able to be duplicated..both to have hunted Kenya and the Selous is unbelievable...pretty awesome...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
      #101908 - 07/04/08 08:50 PM

Some magnum jumbo. Congratulations on those great experiences.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety? [Re: AzGuy]
      #102005 - 09/04/08 03:44 AM

Quote:

Lets assume that you are lucky enough to be on safari with 2 DR's of your choice. In my case it would be a 9.3x74R and a 450/400 both with QD scopes.

If you want to have both rifles available at all times, then "somebody" has to carry one while you carry the other. Question: do you trust the gun bearer enough to leave the DR he is carrying loaded? Or do you leave it unloaded?

With only one DR and a bolt action backup this is simple, you carry the DR and the gun bearer carries the bolt with an empty chamber and a full magazine. But what to do now that you have 2 DR's?

As you have seen here, you will get ten differend answers to the same question from five different hunters at different times when the question is asked!

You say the rifle you prefere, are 9.3X74R, and a 450/400, both with scopes! This is a fine choice no matter what is on your bag list, IMO! This would be my choice as well, but right now my larger of this pair is a 470NE, and I'd rather it were a 450/400NE 3".

With both scoped, in I assume, QD rings and bases, on yours. I would carry the heaviest chambering always, myself, with the tracker carrying the UNLOADED 9.3X74R. I would carry the 450/400, loaded, with scope detached, and the 9.3X74R, unloaded, with the scope attached! This way the 9.3 could be instantly used for a long,shot on a plains game, or precision shot, even on the Buffalo,where a scope is needed, for the first shot through a little hole in the bush, for a brain, or heart shot, at close range, and follow up with the bigger rifle for the next two, or three, or four, or what ever. On my ammo belt I carry ammo for both my doubles, but seperated by the rifle I'm holding at the time on the point of my left hip, and the ammo for the other rifle on the back of my belt.

I have some very nice double rifles that can't be replaced, so today if traveling out of the country, to hunt, My rifles are a pair of Merkel double rifles, 140E 9.3X74R, and a 140-2 Safari 470NE! These can be replaced with the insurance money if lost in transit! If Merkel made a 450/400NE 3", that would be there instead of the 470NE.

Good luck, and enjoy your safari no matter which way you decide to do it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety? [Re: Will]
      #102022 - 09/04/08 09:30 AM

Quote:

Some magnum jumbo. Congratulations on those great experiences.

Yes! X2!

Regarding the one tusker, I read about an Italian hunter who had the opportunity to take a 90lb one tusker. His comment as quoted was, "Better one Ferrari than two Fiats!" I think that says it all.

JPK

xausa
.400 member

Re: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety? [Re: JPK]
      #102039 - 09/04/08 01:21 PM

The one tusker had lost the other one only recently. It was broken off at the lip and the nerve was still festering. He was not in a happy frame of mind.

On top of that, he had an "askari" with him who showed every intention of charging, if he could locate us. Fortunately he didn't.

The poor old boy was down to his last set of teeth and they were in terrible shape. We sent the lower jaw to the taxidermist to see if he could make anything out of it, but the teeth simply crumbled when they tried to polish them.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #102056 - 09/04/08 09:40 PM

xausa,
What area along the Tana River where you hunting and with which PH?

xausa
.400 member

Re: 2 DR's on Safari .....safety? [Re: ozhunter]
      #102060 - 09/04/08 10:54 PM

It would require some real research on my part to turn up which hunting block we used at the time, although it may have been Block 4. This was in October, and the river was mostly dry, although near our camp there was enough water to swim in and attract some hippos. Hunting consisted of driving the Land Cruiser along the dry river bed in low range, low gear with the tires largely deflated for traction. When we found a water hole which the elephants had scooped out, we dismounted and examined the tracks. If they were fresh and promising, we followed on foot. As a rule, we would catch up with our quarry about noon, when they would be resting under a convenient tree. Inevitably, we would find very large elephants with ivory toothpicks sticking out of their mouths.

Once, David Williams, my PH from Ker, Downey and Selby, indicated that our elephant was shootable, and I was about the press trigger, when he stopped me and said that he was no better than the one I already had (from the sisal plantation: 68 and 70 pounds). I had my blood up and had been ready to shoot, so I was furious when called off. I got over it.

After three weeks, and a lot of hot, dry walking, we had given up and were driving back to camp, when we were flagged down by a local, who had gotten the word about what we were looking for. He said that he had located a huge elephant with huge ivory only a short distance away. With a certain amount of resignation, resulting from frequent disappointments in the past, we sent the two gun bearers out with him to investigate. They returned, grinning from ear to ear.

We loaded up the guns and followed them into the rather thick woods, eventually coming across the old boy feeding. We approached from directly in front and I was confronted with a frontal brain shot which I was reluctant to take (1) because the angle of the head made it difficult to locate the brain, which is very small in cross section from the front, and (2) because there was a large limb between me and the aiming point, and I was afraid I might hit it and deflect the bullet.

However, when we attempted to get around to the side, something alarmed him and he deliberately moved off. The brush was so thick, we couldn't see him, although he was only fifty or so feet away. By getting on our hands and knees, we could see the tip of his trunk, the tip of the tusk and his feet, as he stood facing us and moving his head from side to side. If he had located us, I have no doubt he would have charged.

Eventually, he moved off and began feeding again. We moved forward, and came across a clearing. On the other side of the clearing about 75 feet away, behind a large bush, so that only his head was visible, we could see him reaching up to tear a branch off a tree using his trunk. Having his head in a more or less vertical position complicated the brain shot further, but I decided to attempt it. He went down from the first shot from my .458, but was clearly not dead, or even stunned. I fired several more times at his indistinct form which was all I could see through the underbrush, trying to avoid hitting the tusk.

We would have moved closer, but his "askari", which was off to our left, at the edge of the clearing, was making a frightful uproar and clearly would have charged, had we tried to cross the clearing. Eventually, the struggles subsided, and the "askari" cleared off.

David was convinced that the tusk would go over 100 pounds, but as luck would have it, the nerve was enormous, and the resulting void reduced the weight beyond expectations.

This was the only elephant I took in heavy brush. The other three were out in the open and I had no difficulty lining up a shot. In retrospect, I think I would have been better off using my .505, but I was determined to test my .458, and ended up having to do it under most unfavorable circumstances. It did the job, however.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #102061 - 09/04/08 11:11 PM

When is the book coming out!!!

I'm ready to place an order!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5885

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com