Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Westley Richards more popular in United States?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: ]
      #101237 - 02/04/08 11:12 PM

Sinner - you are right, its not far, and there is a train too

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #101271 - 03/04/08 02:09 AM

Well said my friend.

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
      #101356 - 03/04/08 11:47 AM

Quote:

Considering the quality of some sidelocks, that may be damning with faint praise
I think 'best' quality would be more appropriate. IMHO there's no comparison between a top quality WR detachable lock and pretty much all the other boxlocks, and alot of those are pretty nice too! For me, if I were only to have one DR in my life, I would find it tough to choose between a H&H Royal and a WR detachable lock, but I would probably go with the WR...

I've always had a soft spot for WR because I grew up in the Midlands and know that it has always been the real heart of British industry and manufacturing. Some of the craftsmen there can easily rival anywhere else in the world. Plus, even when I was a kid WR used to go out of their way to reply to my letters and send me information about guns, rifles, hunting and cartridges. Its just a more 'real' and 'down to earth' kind of attitude that you get in that part of the world. No false airs and graces, but huge pride in the quality of workmanship. The only other place that holds similar affection for me is a fishing tackle shop in Perthshire, but that is another story! I have an affection for H&H too, but always feel that their interest in me was much more dependent on how much I spent - a much more 'London' attitude!

So you also believe that WR is more down to Earth as well. I've always been fascinated by DR's, but I've only recently started to really try to learn more about them. It's funny how you can get a feeling about various companies by talking to others and looking over the companies literature.I'm going to be in Montana this summer. I'm going to WR's showroom.Once again this is a great forum.

williepete
.224 member

Reged: 07/05/08
Loc: MS
Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: Checkman]
      #104500 - 08/05/08 08:28 AM

hey y'all--

i'm a newbie - more background at my first post under the welcome thread (#104499)

i realize this is a somewhat dried out thread, but its content was very interesting, and the previous post rather hit the nail on the head for me. i represent the complete other end of the spectrum from, say, sinner, so all of this is from a complete lack of experience. but having spent time learning about these weapons at this forum and in many other places, i have come to find that westley richards holds the most appeal for me. as i begin to work towards owning a double rifle one day i definitely have my mind on a wr. i agree with the observations about their 'made for use' and 'down to earth' image. wr's presentation is, to me, such that i could walk into their business and that they would be more likely to treat me as a customer. i don't get that vibe from h&h or purdey.

we are planning to go to england (london) for our tenth anniversary, and even now i am trying to figure out how to get to birmingham for a one day excursion (and get the wife to come along)....

nice to see this similar viewpoint from those who have more experience; thanks for a dedicated thread on this maker - good reading

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: williepete]
      #104535 - 08/05/08 07:48 PM

Quote:

we are planning to go to england (london) for our tenth anniversary, and even now i am trying to figure out how to get to birmingham for a one day excursion (and get the wife to come along)....

You can bribe her by pointing out how close it is to Stratford-upon-Avon - you know, Shakespeare etc. (actually it is a great visit- river, parks, old buildings...)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #104538 - 08/05/08 09:11 PM

I come from Solihull originally, about 18 miles from Stratford upon Avon and 8 miles from Birmingham. If you want any advice at all on accomodation/good pubs etc etc, please let me know if I can help, best, Mike

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
      #104545 - 08/05/08 11:10 PM

Quote:

hey y'all--

Simple, just park your car on a double yellow line in the West End, and Birmingham is about how far you will have to go to recover it.

Regards

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: CptCurl]
      #104568 - 09/05/08 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is WR even up with the big three in quality of workmanship, fit and finish?

Not in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I am not disparaging Westley Richards or their product. My point is this: WR made guns and rifles that covered the waterfront from basic "beaters" to fairly high end models. WR also made guns and rifles for the trade. But even on the high end the product lacks the overall fit and finish of a Purdey, to say nothing about the design.

If you compare a WR sidelock ejector made to their high standards to a Purdey, the WR is leagues behind. That doesn't mean that the WR is a bad gun. It simply means that WR builds to a different standard. It also sells for considerably less, thus appealing to a different clientele.

Sinner, what say you on the topic?

Curl

So is it fair to say that WR is comprable to Ruger in the handgun market? Solid, dependable, and more reasonably priced, but not up to the standards of ohhh say Korth revolvers? Or at least the Colt Python or Smith and Wesson's Model 27/29 back in the day? Is this a fair comparison?

Interesting. And even more interesting is that this thread was brought back from the dead.

Edited by Checkman (09/05/08 01:22 AM)

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
      #104571 - 09/05/08 01:48 AM

Korth? If you want to see a top quality revolver, check out one of Hamilton Bowen's special projects. Korth can't hold a candle to those. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #104637 - 09/05/08 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is WR even up with the big three in quality of workmanship, fit and finish?

Not in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I am not disparaging Westley Richards or their product. My point is this: WR made guns and rifles that covered the waterfront from basic "beaters" to fairly high end models. WR also made guns and rifles for the trade. But even on the high end the product lacks the overall fit and finish of a Purdey, to say nothing about the design.

If you compare a WR sidelock ejector made to their high standards to a Purdey, the WR is leagues behind. That doesn't mean that the WR is a bad gun. It simply means that WR builds to a different standard. It also sells for considerably less, thus appealing to a different clientele.

Sinner, what say you on the topic?

Curl

So is it fair to say that WR is comprable to Ruger in the handgun market? Solid, dependable, and more reasonably priced, but not up to the standards of ohhh say Korth revolvers? Or at least the Colt Python or Smith and Wesson's Model 27/29 back in the day? Is this a fair comparison?

Interesting. And even more interesting is that this thread was brought back from the dead.

HAD TO RESPOND TO THIS AS I WAS READY TO FAINT READING IT...NO--COMPARING WR TO RUGER IS NOT AN ACCURATE COMPARISON...RUGER IS WHAT IT IS--HAVE SEVERAL MYSELF..THEY SHOOT WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER AND QUITE FRANKLY THAT IS ALL I EXPECT FROM A RUGER..

RIPP

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ripp
.577 member

#104638 - 09/05/08 09:50 PM

Quote:

Considering the quality of some sidelocks, that may be damning with faint praise
I think 'best' quality would be more appropriate. IMHO there's no comparison between a top quality WR detachable lock and pretty much all the other boxlocks, and alot of those are pretty nice too! For me, if I were only to have one DR in my life, I would find it tough to choose between a H&H Royal and a WR detachable lock, but I would probably go with the WR...

I've always had a soft spot for WR because I grew up in the Midlands and know that it has always been the real heart of British industry and manufacturing. Some of the craftsmen there can easily rival anywhere else in the world. Plus, even when I was a kid WR used to go out of their way to reply to my letters and send me information about guns, rifles, hunting and cartridges. Its just a more 'real' and 'down to earth' kind of attitude that you get in that part of the world. No false airs and graces, but huge pride in the quality of workmanship. The only other place that holds similar affection for me is a fishing tackle shop in Perthshire, but that is another story! I have an affection for H&H too, but always feel that their interest in me was much more dependent on how much I spent - a much more 'London' attitude!

I actually sat with the owner of W/R who was attending the SCI show in Reno---he was very interesting and very down to earth...which was a pleasant surprise..

Agree with the other info--they just feel good and for me, they fit very well as well as being very well made...

Ripp

--------------------

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: Ripp]
      #104647 - 10/05/08 12:57 AM

"HAD TO RESPOND TO THIS AS I WAS READY TO FAINT READING IT...NO--COMPARING WR TO RUGER IS NOT AN ACCURATE COMPARISON...RUGER IS WHAT IT IS--HAVE SEVERAL MYSELF..THEY SHOOT WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER AND QUITE FRANKLY THAT IS ALL I EXPECT FROM A RUGER."

RIPP

Calm down. I was making something of a joke about it as well. Don't have to yell at me. I know that Ruger isn't comprable to an English double rifle maker. By the way I'm still joking around. Honestly.

Edited by Checkman (10/05/08 12:59 AM)

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #104652 - 10/05/08 02:08 AM

Death by six is right on when he says the best Westley rifles retailed comparitivly to the other best makers of the day. Is Westley Richards more popular in the US? Their droplock rifles have developed nearly a "cult" like following and prices for them have certainly escalted.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

williepete
.224 member

Reged: 07/05/08
Loc: MS
      #104672 - 10/05/08 01:07 PM

thanks for the pointers and offers on tourism--will try to remember

Quote:

And even more interesting is that this thread was brought back from the dead.

sorry for the faux pas-- that was me It is interesting, though...

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#104691 - 10/05/08 11:59 PM

Not a faux pas.... Sometimes its nice to revisit topics

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: 500Nitro]
      #104797 - 12/05/08 05:41 AM

Quote:

How about they moved after the
old WR was raided by the BATF ?

The above statement needs some clarefication! The problem with the BATF at the Cape Gerdeau, Mo store had nothing to do with Westley Richards, but with an employee in that store! It seems this guy also owned a Pawn shop, and had placed some of his stock in the store, without listing it in their stock, as is the law! This got the store closed, and all the firearms embargoed by the ATF, and hualed to the gov office of the ATF till it was settled. Westley Richards was not at fault, and the ony charges were filed on the employee. W/R moved to Montana, because they were closer to better gun smiths for their type of stock, and with the internet, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION doesn't count so much as it used to!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Ripp
.577 member

#104798 - 12/05/08 05:45 AM

Quote:

"HAD TO RESPOND TO THIS AS I WAS READY TO FAINT READING IT...NO--COMPARING WR TO RUGER IS NOT AN ACCURATE COMPARISON...RUGER IS WHAT IT IS--HAVE SEVERAL MYSELF..THEY SHOOT WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER AND QUITE FRANKLY THAT IS ALL I EXPECT FROM A RUGER."

RIPP

Calm down. I was making something of a joke about it as well. Don't have to yell at me. I know that Ruger isn't comprable to an English double rifle maker. By the way I'm still joking around. Honestly.

SORRY YOU THOUGHT I WAS YELLING---I WAS NOT---JUST A SHITTY TYPER SO ALOT OF TIMES I JUST LEAVE THE CAPS ON...NO PROBLEMS...NOT GOING TO GET SHOOK UP ABOUT ANYTHING ON THIS SITE ANYMORE..NOT WORTH IT TO ME AND THOSE CONCERNED..WILL OFFER MY 2 CENTS OR IN MY CASE 1.5 AND OFF I GO...

TAKE CARE

RIPP

--------------------

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Westley Richards more popular in United States? [Re: Ripp]
      #104945 - 13/05/08 11:21 AM

Sure thing. Not a problem.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8592

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com