Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Huglu Action for conversion?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
375RugerNo1
.275 member

Reged: 18/12/07
Loc: VA, USA
Huglu Action for conversion?
      #92751 - 27/12/07 10:50 PM

Anyone have thoughts on the Huglu shotguns being used as an action for a conversion....specifically the SO model.

(Article on them here http://www.gunblast.com/HugluUSA.htm )

I'm keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced action to familiarize myself with this process as I have a lot of learning to do!!!!

Thanks
Pat

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: 375RugerNo1]
      #92760 - 28/12/07 01:54 AM

Are you aware that the Huglu is the same as a CZ?
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=79838&an=0&page=0#Post79838

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

375RugerNo1
.275 member

Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: AkMike]
      #92768 - 28/12/07 02:44 AM

I wasn't!!! Thanks! CZs are cheaper as well! Seems as though the general concensus is that they aren't very strong?>

Edited by 375RugerNo1 (28/12/07 02:48 AM)

375RugerNo1
.275 member

#92789 - 28/12/07 08:42 AM

Strong enough for a .470 NE though apparently. Seems as though might be a good candidate!!

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #92791 - 28/12/07 10:04 AM

they are pretty good and already a monobloc design.

not sure but i think they are proved at 2500 bar.

peter

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: peter]
      #93060 - 31/12/07 03:29 PM

Quote:

not sure but i think they are proved at 2500 bar.

Actions aren't proved. Barreled actions are, and no shotgun is proved at 2500 BAR. Very few are proved for half of that. A .470 has a max pressure of 2700 BAR, or 39,160 PSI, which requires a proof pressure of 3375 BAR. A full nitro like the .470 on one of these actions is a poor idea.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #93061 - 31/12/07 03:39 PM

If a 470 over stresses any shotgun conversion possibly made then why bother to try build any nitro level Double off a Shotty action?

Is there a full strength Nitro round that a shotty action can handle??

I know virtually nothing of metallurgy/metal properties but can a shotty action be treated to handle Double rifle stresses? How costly would that be?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #93099 - 01/01/08 04:33 AM

Shotguns are not proved to those pressures because:

The cartridges do not generate those sort of NE pressures and thus it is unnecessary.

The barrel wall thickness of a 12,10 etc gauge will not tollerate those pressures. Thus you cannot prove at those pressures as the barrels will fail long before the action lets go.

This does not mean that the action itself and the lugs and any third bite will not tollerate those pressures.

Some high price hand made shotguns are still made on low carbon case hardenable steels. From a conversation the other day with somebody who should know, EN 32 & EN 34. Most mass produced shotguns are 4140 or 4130. Thus and older or high quality shotgun may have issues with the increased pressures without some form of designed in reenforcment (bolsters etc) However it is likley that a modern mass produced shotgun is machine made of tougher steel in the first instence and is perversly better equiped to handle the pressures.

For this reason for my first project I choose a shotgun designed for 3 1/2" Mag 12 gauge cartridges which was designed at the factory for the simultanious discharge of both barrels. It is more than man enough for the job. IMHO is is stronger than a 100 year old English DR of unknown history that we would all be proud to shoot without reservations.

It has now had several hundereds of rounds through it, it has been shot by a PH who is a sponser here and there are no issues with it. It is still as tight as a nuns chuff.

Biakial for instence use the same single shot action and same double action as their shotguns for their rifles. These are chambered for amoungst others 30-06 at much higher pressures than we are discussing. They are proved as all european products must be.

IMHO it is a mistake to look at the classic rifles and assume that the same ammount of material is necessary nowdays, it is not so. Metalergy is so advanced since the last war that it is apples and oranges. Look at cars, you used to need a 305 CU" engin to get 250 BHP, you can get that now from a 2000cc all alloy engine for a third of the weight. Cars used to be heaps of rust in 6 years the steel was rubbish compared to that which we work with now. Look how small the bearing surfaces are on an M16/Ar15 bolt but good enough for thousands of rounds of sustained fire. Polymer frames on glocks with bearing rails.

I am not advocating conversions for the reckless but I see no reason that they are fundermentally a bad idea.

Regards

PS after I wrote this I thought that I would look up the numbers.

EN 32 after carburizing has a tensile strength of 430 N/mm square.(62,373 psi)
4140 has a tensile strength of 1000N/mm square @ HRC 29 ( 145,000 psi)
4130 860 (124,746 psi)

Edited by Bramble (01/01/08 09:01 AM)

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: Bramble]
      #93130 - 01/01/08 12:40 PM

Dare I ask what a "nun's chuff" is?

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: buckbrush]
      #93131 - 01/01/08 01:33 PM

I'm guessing that's British parlance for a specific body part of a nun, that doesn't get to see a whole lot of use!

By the way, Bramble....you owe me new keyboard, as I hosed mine down with coffee when I read that!

Jeff

375RugerNo1
.275 member

Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: akjeff]
      #93148 - 01/01/08 06:12 PM

This is all very interesting reading gents. Thank you all.

Pat

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #93302 - 03/01/08 11:29 AM

Bramble:
Well spoken post. This is stuff that needs saying.

The shottie action which started this post (CZ or Huglu) has a relatively long action-bar, side-clips and Greener cross-bolt, and has the correct number of triggers as standard. Maybe even ejectors if you want them. Looks good so far. However, is it 4140 or 4130 steel, or some other alloy? Sounds like you would need to know this. On the previous thread referenced above, Bonanza suggests "The CZ action is made from 4130 or 4140 heat treated chrome molybdenum alloy steel". Still looking good, then.

Remember too, the issue is not the proof-pressure of the donor shotgun's action/barrel-group, it is the proof pressure you will use to prove the newly-built DR. Determining whether the DR will survive proof is probably not possible before commencing the build, but Bramble has added a few more valuable pieces of data to help exclude unfavourable or potentially unsafe shotgun actions.

...and despite all this, like 400NE I am personally inclined to recommend restricting such conversions to N-for-B loads. In the larger calibres, they are still magnificent killers of game up to buffalo and brownies with the right bullets.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: Marrakai]
      #93309 - 03/01/08 12:30 PM

I have just written to Huglu direct and I hope to have some definitive information for the forum soon.

Regards

wanna577
.224 member

Reged: 23/10/07
Loc: Wisconsin
      #97400 - 24/02/08 04:33 AM

A friend of mine has so far built a 470 , a 45-120, and a 500 ,all full power nitro loadings on the CZ actions(same as a Hugle). The 470 has over 100 rounds through it so far with no problems. They are sleeved barrels. Don't know if that proves anything but there it is.

Judson
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/05
Loc: St. Albans Maine U.S.A.
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: wanna577]
      #97674 - 26/02/08 09:26 AM

When looking at the proof test of an action you have to keep in mind the head diameter of the shell or cartridge used. The proof may be in P.S.I. but what is the area of the case head, usually much under 1 square inch. Many shotgun actions are well within the safe range for the nitro loads when the proof pressures are checked approprately. This is not to say you do not have to either have the rifle reproofed by a proof house or by proofing it your self. If you are not sure as to how to do this find some one who does as your life could depend on the rifle passing a reproof!!!

--------------------
It is the small calibers that are the biggest bores.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: Judson]
      #98062 - 02/03/08 01:54 AM

Quote:

When looking at the proof test of an action you have to keep in mind the head diameter of the shell or cartridge used. The proof may be in P.S.I. but what is the area of the case head, usually much under 1 square inch. Many shotgun actions are well within the safe range for the nitro loads when the proof pressures are checked approprately. This is not to say you do not have to either have the rifle reproofed by a proof house or by proofing it your self. If you are not sure as to how to do this find some one who does as your life could depend on the rifle passing a reproof!!!

Yes and the proof is also that it at least holds up to the pressure. It could hopefully restrain a higher basepressure as the walls in the barrels will be thicker and cope with the higher pressure.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

penwolf
.224 member

Reged: 14/03/06
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: 450_366]
      #98487 - 06/03/08 10:32 AM

So, gentlemen, is there any conclusion? Huglu/CZ...yes/no?
What about a 12 ga. Stoeger?
I'm interested because I wish to build a 577 Light Nitro or even a 500 Light Nitro on a 12 ga frame.
Come to think about it just about any NFB in the 400 and up range would excite me greatly.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: penwolf]
      #98493 - 06/03/08 11:39 AM

I am afraid that I cannot add anything as Huglu did not reply to my e-mail.

I don't think that anybody is going to recommend one way or the other for the obvious litigious reasons.
I am afraid that all you can do is take what people have said and make your own judgment.

The only action that I am in a position to assert will hold up is the one that I have used myself.
That is a 3 1/2" magnum 12 Bore Zabala. I would strongly suggest that you disable its rear trigger first double discharge feature :-)
They also make a 10 gauge and it is the same action as AYA market/ed as the Matador 10 gauge.

Regards

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #98496 - 06/03/08 12:03 PM

Quote:

Biakial for instence use the same single shot action and same double action as their shotguns for their rifles. These are chambered for amoungst others 30-06 at much higher pressures than we are discussing. They are proved as all european products must be.

Are you certain that Baikal heat treats the actions identically and that they are made using the same alloy?

Reason I ask is that NEF as far as I know uses different material and heat treating of their singleshots. Though they may look the same, a shotgun action is not the same as a high pressure rifle action. Last time I read their brochure, the company will fit spare shotgun barrels to a HP rifle action, but will not fit spare HP rifle barrels to a shotgun action.

I am wondering if Baikal might do similarly and thus though the shotgun actions, though they look like the rifle actions, are not the same.

Thoughts?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #98529 - 06/03/08 07:12 PM

9.3x57

I have examined both of the and I am as sure as I can be without metalurgical analysis or confirmation from the factory. Am I certain enough to recommend such to a third person, no I am not hence my comments in the last post.
From a production point of view, to change the composition of an alloy in the forgeing from one model to another, whilst it might save a few rubels would then cost much more in processing having to constantly identify one fron another during manufacture. My wife is Russian and having travelled there a lot the chances of a factory worker staying sober long enough to do that is slim !
I have seen a heck of a lot of Biaikal product as they are very common here for knockaround guns and although some are so cosmetically worn as to be a joke I have never seen one that is fuctionally damaged to any significant degree.
I see no reason that they would do it anymore than changing the composition from a .223 to a .30-06

That is my best take on it

REgards

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #98544 - 07/03/08 01:35 AM

Thanks.

Unfortunately it is only by metallurgical analysis or confirmation from the factory that can verify this for sure. Of course, based on your description of the factory operations, maybe the latter isn't of any value, either!

I do see your point. I'm just concerned somebody doesn't make an assumption that gets them into trouble after incurring a lot of expense and effort. I do not believe there are any obvious differences between the various strengths of NEF guns {not sure about markings}, so I don't think a visual assessment f them would be helpful, and thought maybe the same applied to the Baikals.

As you say, the Baikal guns have a very good reputation for strength.

HERE is a case where proof law would be of service if it required the marking of an action for a certain pressure limit.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
      #102562 - 16/04/08 04:52 AM

Quote:

I am afraid that I cannot add anything as Huglu did not reply to my e-mail.

I don't think that anybody is going to recommend one way or the other for the obvious litigious reasons.
I am afraid that all you can do is take what people have said and make your own judgment.

The only action that I am in a position to assert will hold up is the one that I have used myself.
That is a 3 1/2" magnum 12 Bore Zabala. I would strongly suggest that you disable its rear trigger first double discharge feature :-)
They also make a 10 gauge and it is the same action as AYA market/ed as the Matador 10 gauge.

Regards

Huglu has built a test 470NE on one of their 16 gauge actions as per the importer to test viability. The gun was shot hundreds of times at full nitro and proved at 30% above full load. No issues. This info is per the importer, again. Talking to the smiths at Huglu..through the importer who speaks Turkish...the steel is C1040 Mild carbon, heat treated to a BN of 47. I have had two frames tested to confirm this. I then had a frame Aux-Treated to toughen it even more. I then proved this frame at 458 Lott pressures with no issues.

What issues could you have? Primers extruding with possible piercing back into the frame through the firing pin holes which are not bushed. So basically without bushed firing pins you are limited to pressures that the primers can take. I regulate to 10tons max, not because of the strength of the action, but because of the strength/safety margin of the primers. If you want to take the time and have the skill, you could bush the pins, a very difficult and costly undertaking. This is all on box-lock actions. With hammer guns, the pins are bushed by design, and should not present any of these issues if they are of the positive lock back screw-in type. The type that have just a retaining screw may not have the strength to hold the pressure if a primer rupture were to happen.

BTW, my ten ton load is good for 4500FPE in a 450NE (or 45-120 Sharps) as per GW loads.

BS-

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #102566 - 16/04/08 06:04 AM

Blain

Thank you for the data it is most interesting.

Did you mean BHN of 47 ? As that seems a little on the low side as the BHN for 90,000 psi yeild C1040 is around 187.

Regards

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
      #102568 - 16/04/08 06:37 AM

Quote:

Blain

Thank you for the data it is most interesting.

Did you mean BHN of 47 ? As that seems a little on the low side as the BHN for 90,000 psi yeild C1040 is around 187.

Regards

Sorry meant Rockwell Hardness number, after aux-treating number increased to 52 with no distortion of the frame and the pin still in place. This metallurgist has a lot of experience with heat treating gun frames and said he believes the frame capable of handling well over 100000 psi after the treatment. I keep my loads around 25000psi, just to be on the safe side. I have heard that Searcy used to heat treat his Browning framed guns to a RN of 37, then have them color-case hardened.

Side note: According to the barrel maker, their steel will take over 120000psi radial and bulge before rupturing, which allows the gases to escape around the bullet and out the muzzle. For what its worth.

Of course your mileage may vary. When in doubt have the frame tested and heat treated, its only about $200.00 to do this and it will give you peace of mind.

BS-

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Huglu Action for conversion? [Re: BlainSmipy]
      #102582 - 16/04/08 10:25 AM

Thanks Blain

I thought that it had to be a RC value. But I am still a little confused. RC 47 equates to BHN of about 444. Multiply by the rule of thumb 500 to give PSI tensile then we are well over 200,000 PSI so that is great.
I would however be a little concerned with the brittelness of plain 0.4%C steel at that hardness. Is it a core value or a additionaly surface carburised value ?

Regards

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2157

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com