Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: First DR Build .22 Hornet

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Flying_Y_Farms
.224 member

Reged: 01/10/14
Loc: Oregon, Klamath
First DR Build .22 Hornet
      #254447 - 02/10/14 03:19 AM

I have decided to build my first double. I have decided to use a .410 for the base as soon as I can find a suitable donor gun. My first question is after the mono block has been prepared is there a place that can duplicate the mono block ie autocad and cnc machine out a couple of them for other caliber builds. second is barrels what brand and contour give the classic DR appearance?

Thanks Kurt

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: First DR Build .22 Hornet [Re: Flying_Y_Farms]
      #254450 - 02/10/14 04:53 AM

Welcome to Nitro Express Kurt!

I don't know of a shop near you, but up in Seattle (kent valley / Boeing territory) there should be something for you.

Call the local machine shop and start the search there.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Flying_Y_Farms
.224 member

Re: First DR Build .22 Hornet [Re: tinker]
      #254455 - 02/10/14 06:14 AM

Thank you for the info, I just had a couple grad students from OIT stop by the farm wanting to shoot coyotes, long story short they agreed to do the computer work to come up with a cnc model of the mono block. Since I do not have a donor gun yet I gave them my Francotte double in 45-120 express. They said it should not be that hard of a project, they also suggested laser duplicating. by the way they killed three dogs in about an hour.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #254461 - 02/10/14 07:16 AM

Welcome Flying, great to see you are considering a DR in 22 Hornet, a great little cartridge. It must be remembered however that a lot of the work that goes into making a mono-block is in the work holding fixtures that are required to hold the work during machining. These fixtures normally have to be as accurately made as the part itself and have to hold the part firmly so that reasonable sized cuts can be made other wise there is no point in using CNC. As you machine away more material fixtures become more important especially once you remove the flat sides when cutting scollops and radii. Jigs and fixture is a very important arm of tool making and can be quite challenging to do properly. Writing the program is quite often the easy part especially if you have access to 3D scanners or co-ordinate measuring machines where the part can be reverse engineered. Holding it can often be more difficult.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Flying_Y_Farms
.224 member

Re: First DR Build .22 Hornet [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #254467 - 02/10/14 09:44 AM

I will completely agree Waidmannsheil luckily the boys from OIT say they have everything needed at there disposal, we have a lablonc lathe and Bridgeport mill at the ranch, I can do it just looking for a faster method to build the monoblock so when I tear into my merkle 12 gauge ill be able to build barrel sets with relative ease.

And if anybody has a good donor please let me know.

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #255267 - 16/10/14 02:00 PM

Good luck on the project, I've wanted to do the same. Always liked the idea of using the EAA/Baikal SXS .410 for a donor but not sure the lockup is up to it. That, and I prefer double triggers, which the EAA does not have. Savage 311 is another but runs into the same issue of "is the lockup up to the job?" Always liked the idea of a DR in .22LR too for some reason.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #255402 - 18/10/14 01:08 AM

I would like to add my two cents worth here. Rifle/shotgun combinations seem like a very handy setup in theory, but in practice they don't work out so well. The problem is in where your cheek fits on the gun must remain constant and the stock drop will be another constant. When you add the top rib and the sights to the rifle barrels, that means you will have to raise your head up to meet the new higher line of sight and your shooting of the rifle will be somewhat impared. It may not be too bad with the .410 frame but you still need to try and keep the new sights as low on the barrels as possible.
Since this sounds like your first conversion, I would look for a shotgun that has good lockup first of all, then convert it to the .22 Hornet by using the barrels to make the monoblock and forget about having a second set of .410 barrels for the gun. The .410 gauge is the least useable shotgun gauge out there anyway. I guess what I am saying is that I think that on this first conversion, I would use it as a learning experience without adding in all the extra difficulty of trying to make up a two barrel set. Good luck with your project. Bob

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #255403 - 18/10/14 01:18 AM

Kurt,
The best way to get your barrels contoured as lightly as possible is to go to various barrel makers websites and check out what their lightest contour is in that caliber. After you locate the lightest contour either buy two of those or send an email to that maker and ask if he can make them ligher up front, that's where you need to make them as light as possible. Don't forget to check and see what type of steel they are using, some is better than others for thinning out of the barrels. The .22 Hornet caliber has been used in drillings for years and they make their barrels very small in diameter. Of course it is fixed to two large shotgun barrels which makes it a good deal stiffer. Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #255408 - 18/10/14 01:55 AM

Quote:

I have decided to build my first double. I have decided to use a .410 for the base as soon as I can find a suitable donor gun. My first question is after the mono block has been prepared is there a place that can duplicate the mono block ie autocad and cnc machine out a couple of them for other caliber builds. second is barrels what brand and contour give the classic DR appearance?
Thanks Kurt

How about Pac-Nor or Green Mountain for barrels.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: First DR Build .22 Hornet [Re: DarylS]
      #255440 - 18/10/14 06:26 PM

Walther supply barrels to all sorts of gun makers, they'd surely have something?

Ckhobart
.275 member

Reged: 26/06/13
Loc: Reno, NV
Re: First DR Build .22 Hornet [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #258357 - 29/12/14 11:25 AM

for donors blackbern is decent

http://www.757arms.com/

large selection. If you're ever down in Reno the cabelas gun library has a fair few but they're on the expensive side. Sounds like you've got a neat setup at you ranch haha.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2906

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com