Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best finishes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Ckhobart
.275 member

Reged: 26/06/13
Loc: Reno, NV
Best finishes
      #237786 - 14/11/13 08:51 AM

So I was curious on all of your thoughts on this one: best finishing processes for both metal and wood. Now, my own experience with metal finishing is mostly parkerizing (a decent slathering of manganese phosphate does wonders for look of a 50 year old makerov that was apparently stored in a goddammed battery) but I've done a bit of bluing. I was curious about the extremely competent people here's take on the subject of metal finishing in particular because it's a realm I'm not super familiar with. On the subject of wood finishing I've had a fair bit of experience finishing/refinishing wood (my father's a contractor and he's encouraged me to work with wood my whole life) and I was curious about what YOU guys think looks best. I remember getting my first mauser at sixteen and many, many hours in a solvent tank for the metal... the wood, on the other hand (lovely walnut) was a breeze with a few pints or so of lindseed oil and a lot of scrubbing. Still, tips and tricks would be appreciated, as well as what you guys think looks best.

Oh, also just got a new kiln. Muhahhah

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shotgunlover
.224 member

Reged: 24/08/13
Loc: Greece
Re: Best finishes [Re: Ckhobart]
      #237825 - 15/11/13 07:11 AM

Subjective tastes count a lot in this area. Tradition calls for blackened barrels, ie rust blued, color case hardened action, blued furniture (trigger guard, top lever, forend iron) and oil finished stock.

My preference is for the barrels to be the only black (well dark charcoal grey) part of a gun, all the other metal to be French Grey.

Stocks I do with this method: www.linseedoilfinish.com because it combines the protection of varnish with the surface feel and look of linseed oil.

--------------------
Shotgunlover

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Best finishes [Re: Shotgunlover]
      #237827 - 15/11/13 08:47 AM

As you all know, practically all old classic double actions were made of low carbon mild steel, bone charcoal pack color case hardened. Later, some were made from high strength alloy steels; not color case hardened. In gunsmithing school, we were taught methods of bone charcoal color case hardening, and taught to use that only on actions that were previously color case hardened; never on the later alloy steel actions. Alloy steel receivers are usually heat treated in special ways. Many years ago, when I was young, and more foolish than now, I had been known to electroplate some receivers, to protect them, but after growing older, and perhaps less foolish, I found that I often stripped those electroplated actions, and treated them to the way they were originally finished when they were made; I appreciated the results.

My old friend, the late great gun writer and gun authority, Elmer Keith of Salmon, Idaho, told me that no gun stock should ever be finished the way musical instruments are finished, but they should receive only a hand rubbed oil finish. The older I get, the more convinced I am that he was right. From that day on, I insist on finishing all my guns/rifles, only with London hand rubbed oil finish, and have been completely happy with that. However, it is now the trend, and has been for a long time in America, for gun enthusiasts to want the rock hard varnish like stock finishes I can't stand. Elmer Keith said too, that no gun stock should look like a hardwood floor finish, but a lot of guys want that sort of finish.

Double rifles & double shotguns need only rust blued barrels.

Ckhobart
.275 member

Re: Best finishes [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #238648 - 04/12/13 04:11 AM

Fair points both.

headoftheholler
.275 member

Reged: 02/12/13
Loc: United States
Re: Best finishes [Re: Ckhobart]
      #238655 - 04/12/13 05:49 AM

On the side to make extra money I have reblued firearms and restored/refinished stocks for several years now. Across the board 10-1 people want high gloss highly polished rock hard finishes on their stocks v/s a Tung or BLO finish, they are the ones paying me so I oblige. My preference on my own guns is a compromise, I use Minwax Antique Oil Finish, its a little hard to find but once the grain is filled and the final coat has dried , it can be buffed down to an eggshell satin finish. As for bluing, across the board all I do is rust bluing, which isn't for everyone, some people prefer the bright high polish only a hot blue can do.

Ckhobart
.275 member

Re: Best finishes [Re: headoftheholler]
      #244752 - 01/04/14 08:09 AM

Actually refinishing an old Marlin Model 60 glenfield I got from a friend for next to nothing (the girlfriend needs a squirrel rifle). Sanding the poor old thing down now and I'll be using tung oil for the finish, I'll post the results after it cures. Perhaps I'll try rust blueing the barrels after a good sand blasting, as well. It's still going to be a long road before I can get my double build off the ground, but at least I've always got guns around to practice on.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2367

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com