Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Aaron Little and my Sabatti

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
xrayoneone
.224 member

Reged: 27/12/13
Loc: United States
Aaron Little and my Sabatti
      #244401 - 25/03/14 07:07 PM

This is my first post on this forum, if it is not in the right spot I apologize. I had some posts on another forum dedicated to double rifles but it appears that it is no longer in existence. I came to be a member here because I was researching various regulation set ups and I am glad that I found this place.

A few years ago, and against my better judgment, I purchased a Sabatti double rifle. They had just started coming into the country and despite my misgivings I threw my hard earned money at one. Long story short I ended up with a nice looking rifle that couldn't shoot for nothing. I couldn't return it and I couldn't sell it unless I wanted to do so at a loss. Really I didn't want to give it up, it was in 450/400 and had ejectors. After reading countless books on Africa and India this was the caliber I wanted but it was not regulated and it had the ground muzzles. After a few years of looking for someone that would take on the job of regulating my Sabatti I ended up here looking for tips on regulating it myself. I had previously made a double using a shotgun action and Brown's book that came out fair but was really nothing to look at.

While searching the gunsmithing section I came across a post from Aaron Little stating that he would take on a members double rifle build. I knew nothing about Aaron Little but he mentioned he worked with Bailey Bradshaw and I knew a little of his work. Taking a chance I emailed Mr. Little and asked if he would take on regulating my Sabatti. He said he was up for the challenge and after a few emails and a call to Bailey Bradshaw to insure that the man I was talking to was indeed the man he claimed to be I shipped my rifle off to him.

My rifle arrived in Diana, TX on a Thursday and I received an email from Aaron saying he would start working on it Saturday. I honestly did not expect to see my rifle for at least a couple of months but to my surprise I received an email on Sunday saying my rifle was ready for me to test fire. I received it exactly one week after it arrived at Aaron's shop.

Aaron cut back my barrels about 1/2" to get rid of the ground muzzles and recrowned them. He then made a new wedge and properly regulated the rifle. He then polished the barrels but kept them in the white pending my test fire.

It took a couple of weeks to get to the range but when I did was impressed with the results. Before Aaron worked his magic the best my rifle would do was to keep most shots on an 8 1/2" x 11" target at 50 yards but it would not group. After I got my rifle back from Aaron I was getting 2" x 4" composite group at 50 yards. These groups are with the huge brass bead front sight and express rear that is standard on Sabattis. With a finer sight I could probably shrink the groups some more but I am more than happy with the results, in fact I'm ecstatic.

Aaron Little did a great job on my rifle. If you got saddled with a Sabatti and are looking for help call Aaron! His prices and customer service were great. A search on this forum and Bailey Bradshaw's and you can see some of Aaron's work.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Aaron Little and my Sabatti [Re: xrayoneone]
      #244402 - 25/03/14 07:55 PM

A great story, you are a lucky man! /Staffan

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Aaron Little and my Sabatti [Re: Sville]
      #244406 - 26/03/14 01:16 AM

Welcome to NitroExpress X11!

It's great to hear of your success.
Good for you and good for Aaron.

Let's see some photos of the job he did
:-)

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Aaron Little and my Sabatti [Re: tinker]
      #244421 - 26/03/14 07:23 AM

I presently own four Sabatti double rifles, a .450/.400, a .450, a .470, and a .500. When I bought my first one, I had no idea about some Sabatti doubles having grinding, or filing, of the rifling at muzzles, in a vain attempt to "steer" the bullets, for "improved" regulation; it was sheer dumb good luck that my first Sabatti had none of this butchering. After that purchase, I learned about the muzzle grinding issue, so prior to buying the other Sabatti rifles, I examined them carefully, under good light and magnification, before laying down cash. All of my rifles are well regulated, thankfully--more good luck. I have done quite a lot of custom work on all these rifles, installing steel grip caps, or steel trap grip caps, on them all, installing much better recoil pads, of course, after cutting stocks for me LOP with pad, gold plated all internal parts on some of these rifles; will probably do the same on the others, for added corrosion resistance. Fine tuned internal parts, which were pretty good as original. Also, I altered iron sights somewhat to duplicate great British iron sights, installed mercury recoil reducers, stripped all wood finish, refinished using best British hand rubbed oil finish, which enhanced the grain and made for considerably better finish.
I re-regulated two Sabatti rifles for good friends, ones that had no muzzle grinding issues, by making, from scratch, new mid point regulation wedges and muzzle wedges, after removing top/bottom ribs, for installing the mid point wedge. Using regulation methods learned from W. Ellis Brown, prior to his writing his book, Converting Double Shotguns to Double Rifles, I did what needed to be done to them. I have had several guys ask if I would re-regulate their Sabatti, but I had to tell them that I would not; I am retired; did the two for friends only because of that friendship. In communication with JJ Perdeau, at Champlin's firearms, he told me that he twice tried to re-regulate Sabatti rifles, and both times failed, saying that the thought that they had no mid point regulation wedge. I assumed from this, that he did not completely remove the ribs, so that is why he didn't know for sure that they didn't have mid point wedge. I believe that he simply didn't want to take time/expense to make mid point wedge, so once he learned that they probably didn't have mid point wedge, he gave up on them. Ken Own, of Tennessee, has re-regulated a number of Sabatti rifles, and one can now see several .450/.400 rifles on wwew.gunsinternational that are marked as so re-regulated by him. I am sure there are others who have done this sort of re-regulation, and it is nice that Aaron Little, whom I don't know at all, is able to do it; I will have to suggest his name to the people who contacted me about possibly re-regulating their rifles. If anyone else is aware of
anyone doing this sort of work, let us all know, so we can include them in our references to others.
I happen to like the Sabatti double rifles; the actions are made of the finest strong tri-alloy steel, internal parts, of good alloy steel, well polished and fitted. All but one spring, are V or leaf springs, including the ejector springs (only the top lever spring is coil), while most modern double rifles have now moved to using coil springs. I know that there are a lot of Sabatti haters out there, but most of them don't know what they are talking about, or are deliberately trying to deceive, for personal reasons.

Aaron_Little
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: Aaron Little and my Sabatti [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #244430 - 26/03/14 10:33 AM

Thank you for the review Nolan!

Aaron Little
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

--------------------
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044

Edited by Aaron_Little (26/03/14 12:53 PM)

xrayoneone
.224 member

Reged: 27/12/13
Loc: United States
Re: Aaron Little and my Sabatti [Re: tinker]
      #244441 - 26/03/14 04:14 PM

Quote:

Welcome to NitroExpress X11!

It's great to hear of your success.
Good for you and good for Aaron.

Let's see some photos of the job he did
:-)

Cheers
Tinker

Thanks I'm glad I found this site. I'll try to get some pics up when I can I don't have any right now. Right now the barrels are in the white. When I get some money they'll go back to Aaron to be blued.

I agree with Jack. Sabattis are well made but they blew their shot with poor regulation. When I bought mine it was one of the first ones to come into the country. I usually wait for at least a year before I even consider purchasing any firearm for all the bugs to show up. I learned about the ground muzzles a year after I bought it.

I was glad to give you a good review Aaron. Thanks for fixing the rifle.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Aaron Little and my Sabatti [Re: xrayoneone]
      #244448 - 26/03/14 09:13 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the review Nolan!

Aaron Little
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Aaron,

If you have photos of the work please share.

If it isn't confidential, what do you charge for a "ground Sabatti muzzle" re-fix, including new wedges, removal of the muzzle, recrowning, re-blueing etc.

It would be good to see those owners who have troublesome rifles find someone to fix them for them.

Good work.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Aaron_Little
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: Aaron Little and my Sabatti [Re: NitroX]
      #244467 - 27/03/14 02:47 AM

Unfortunately I didnt take any pictures of Nolan's project. At the time I was more focused on getting the job done. I also had a sinus infection at the time, so I felt as if I had been punched in the head by a pro boxer. No permanent damage was done thankfully.

Right now I charge:
$500 for regulation labor(customer provides loads)
$250 to polish and slow rust blue(cost can be higher if barrels are in bad shape)
making wedges, cutting back barrels, or other types of work is charged hourly at $45/hr.

Aaron L.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Edited by Aaron_Little (27/03/14 02:49 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3816

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com