Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Extra set of DR barrels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Extra set of DR barrels [Re: Squarebridge]
      #113875 - 07/09/08 08:11 PM

Quote:

Side by side of course! My mother didn't raise no hoodlum. I think the 8x68 would be a great one, but I'm going to have to learn more about chamber pressures. Is there a handy source that lists chamber pressures of the standard sporting rounds, including the classic nitro stuff?

Consider a 8x75RS.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #113928 - 08/09/08 07:43 AM

Firstly forget CUP. You cannot work with that unit in any meaningfull way. Look up the CIP Max average pressure in PSI or Kgcm2.

Explosive force (the wrong term as propelents do not explode) or steady state, no matter. Peak force is the critical thing.

"If it looks right, chances are it is right."

With the greatest of respect, with a firearm that is akin to "hold my beer and watch this"

When I gave you the calcs for the 30-40 you will note that I gave a margin of error of 100%. Even at 200% it is still well within range of a 20G action.

If you take the published English thrust figures from past and try to make them stack up agains this method it dosent work. They were done with a base crusher and compared one cartridge to another not to an empirical standard as such. For instence by this method the 416 Rigby comes out at 5.76 tons, whereas in the published data it is listed at 17 tons. So 200% error somewhere.

This just cannot be settled until somebody does base thrust with piezo.

Regards

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Extra set of DR barrels [Re: 450_366]
      #113999 - 09/09/08 08:15 AM

In answer to your question about an American shotgun with only a "third bite", L.C. Smith, Savage, and A.H. Fox, all made guns with only one spiral lock up and all Could be considered to have only the "third bite" as they all interact with the rib extension only. There may be others that I have missed, but all these have a circular rotating lock that is a type of screw lockup.
I don't consider any of these to be fit donor guns to build any kind of rifle on. I would do a 20 gauge rifled slug gun on one, but not a high powered rifle cartridge, of any sort. I personally know of at least two L.C. Smiths and one 1894 Remington that were converted to 45/70 and have held up, so far. But I won't do one on either of these and I don't think it is safe for anyone to convert one. Bob H.

tecno
.224 member

Reged: 09/11/07
Loc: Sparreholm, Sweden
Re: Extra set of DR barrels [Re: 500Nitro]
      #114121 - 10/09/08 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Take a look The new caliber from Sweden 9,3x57R.SE

Does it give you anything that a 9.3 x 74R doesn't ?

What's the opinions ?

Yes, much lower pressure that is more suitable for my cal 20 shotgun

--------------------
Cheers Tecno
Sweden
FinnClassic 512//SOLD
DR O&U 9,3x74R
NEW>>> sbs Cal20 DR 9,3x57R.SE

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Extra set of DR barrels [Re: tecno]
      #114133 - 10/09/08 11:15 PM

Tecno -
I've thought more and more about your new caliber and it has much to recommend it. I'll take some photos that you asked for of my shotgun today and try to get them on here in the next day or so. Mine looks nearly identical to yours except mine has a Prince of Wales grip.

I also want to keep my 20 gauge barrels and not cut them, but that complicates things enormously. I don't know how to go about making a monoblock myself, and I am nervous about finding a good machine shop and telling them to "make it like this".

Are there companies out there that would speak the language here, to whom I could send my gun and have a second monoblock made and fitted? I contacted CZ and they said they don't import or make barrel sets, just completed firearms.

Thanks.

tecno
.224 member

#114337 - 13/09/08 11:14 PM

Quote:

Tecno -
I've thought more and more about your new caliber and it has much to recommend it. I'll take some photos that you asked for of my shotgun today and try to get them on here in the next day or so. Mine looks nearly identical to yours except mine has a Prince of Wales grip.

I also want to keep my 20 gauge barrels and not cut them, but that complicates things enormously. I don't know how to go about making a monoblock myself, and I am nervous about finding a good machine shop and telling them to "make it like this".

Are there companies out there that would speak the language here, to whom I could send my gun and have a second monoblock made and fitted? I contacted CZ and they said they don't import or make barrel sets, just completed firearms.

Thanks.

squarebridge

Thanks for the pictures, very nice shotgun you have there. It looks very much like mine but it does not have Greener so I think mine is a low budget version compared to your shotgun.

Surely you must have some gunmakers/shops around that can do the job for you. Hopefully you can find someone that can help you with the maching/fitting.

As regards the 9,3x57R.SE I am very much convinced that it gives what is needed for a low pressure cartridge. More and more people are getting interested in this caliber.

Cheers
Bengt

--------------------
Cheers Tecno
Sweden
FinnClassic 512//SOLD
DR O&U 9,3x74R

tecno
.224 member

#242461 - 15/02/14 09:33 PM

Update, this Project is still alive.

Last week I wrote here but obviously something Went wrong as no text apperas. Hope it will work this time.

--------------------
Cheers Tecno
Sweden
FinnClassic 512//SOLD
DR O&U 9,3x74R

Ckhobart
.275 member

Reged: 26/06/13
Loc: Reno, NV
      #242488 - 16/02/14 08:29 AM

Always copy it before you post, otherwise losing stuff to network land is no fun

MotelAlpha
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/13
Loc: Maryland,USA
Re: Extra set of DR barrels [Re: Ckhobart]
      #243564 - 10/03/14 12:58 AM

Having used the old 30-40, I can say that it is one fine caliber, and easily able (good shooting) to down most antlered game. The only reason I went to a larger 35 whelen was to stop chasing elk. Larger hole and mass. But the 30-40 should be a sweet and handy DR on a 20 gauge. Both Birdhunter (Bob, and Ellis Brown know much about these type of conversions, and their advice would be most beneficial.

--------------------
Pro Deo et Pro Patria

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4972

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com