Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Barrel considerations?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
TennHillBilly
.275 member

Reged: 17/05/13
Loc: Tennessee Plateau
Barrel considerations?
      #242481 - 16/02/14 04:30 AM

I have placed an AYA 12ga.on layaway until our return from Wintering on the Redneck Riviera. It has, I think, the requisite construction: Greener Xbolt, bushed strikers, cheekpieced stock. My preferred round would be .416 Rigby....I have a Ruger no 1 in this and really like it. I note a considerable number of discussions on action selection, but what about selecting a barrel? Start with a blank, takeoff barrels(e.g., I notice there are bunches of Remington 700 bbls on ebay), Something like a Douglas no 5 contour? Not sure where to start? Maybe this is just too general to answer, but thought I'd give it a chance. My immediate thought is to make the monoblock, have the Ellis book back home. Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ckhobart
.275 member

Reged: 26/06/13
Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Barrel considerations? [Re: TennHillBilly]
      #242487 - 16/02/14 08:24 AM

Sounds like a lovely starting gun

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Barrel considerations? [Re: TennHillBilly]
      #242921 - 23/02/14 06:38 AM

THB,
If this is your first conversion gun I would forget about building your own monoblock unless you have lots of equiptment and machining experience. As far as barrels go, if you use the 12 gauge barrels for the monoblock your barrel diameter needs to be as large as the shotgun barrels so they can be joined at that point. You will want to contour them to about the thinnest profile that most barrel companies offer. Even that may be a little heavy. Good luck with your project. Bob

dpcd67
.224 member

Reged: 08/07/13
Loc: USA
Re: Barrel considerations? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #246169 - 22/04/14 07:51 AM

Go with a rimmed cartridge and not the 416; go with a low pressure Nitro Express cartridge. No factory barrel contour will work; they are all way too heavy; you will have to contour your own. I take factory barrels and recontour them. You need a lathe to turn and cut the threads on the breeches anyway. You can make a monoblock from 4140 steel.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1503

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com