Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shotgun to Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Shotgun to Double Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #200633 - 26/01/12 07:08 AM

Took me a while to catch on that Ellis is on the forum now.
Huge welcome to you!
I think I have mentioned before that he hosts a shoot in August every year. A good time with a bunch of good guys (and a few gals) and a great opportunity to see some conversion guns and shoot some pretty exotic originals too.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
apr1775
.275 member

Reged: 02/10/08
Loc: Virginia, the united States of...
Re: Shotgun to Double Rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #201772 - 06/02/12 02:15 AM

Ellis,

Many of us here have your book and consider you to be the wise old sage of home double rifle builders. I hope to read more from you.

DBLGN
.224 member

Reged: 16/10/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Shotgun to Double Rifle [Re: apr1775]
      #201838 - 07/02/12 03:39 AM

Careful with that "wise old" stuff! Especially the wise! Thanks for the warm welcome guys. As I have stated before, I have followed these forums for quite some time, but just have not posted much. I can't afford too much to be spent here. Most of all, I am just an ordinary guy the was foolish enough to undertake recording his feeble efforts and then shared them with an unwitting public that now thinks he knows something. I still have lot to learn and learn new things with every double I build. Have to tell you, there are several guys out there that have taken my information and build at least as nice, if not nicer doubles than I do. Kind of like the old martial master that is most pleased when his student(s) exceed his ability.

Thanks again!
Ellis

--------------------
DBLGN

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Shotgun to Double Rifle [Re: DBLGN]
      #201874 - 07/02/12 01:53 PM

Just got home to family and warm dinner -- and my copy of Gun Craft!

I'll look through it tonight after the kids are tucked in.
So far it looks pretty nice!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

nitro450exp
.333 member

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Shotgun to Double Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #201960 - 08/02/12 12:43 PM

Mr. Brown.

Ordered our book hope to see it soon.
Looking forward to reading it.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Hope to one day tackle a project.

Graeme "Nitro"

--------------------
"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall

45/70 DR / 12ga Paradox
470 NE DR
12 Bore DR
20 Bore DR
450 NE SR
577 NE SR

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Re: Shotgun to Double Rifle [Re: nitro450exp]
      #202038 - 09/02/12 12:13 PM

If we are considering the same shotgun model for conversion and have a 12 ga. or 16 ga. to choose from, is there a benefit to using a 12 ga. frame if the cartridge will fit into the 16 ga.? Is there a downside to using the 12 ga. in such a case?

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

DBLGN
.224 member

Reged: 16/10/07
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Shotgun to Double Rifle [Re: Mauser416]
      #202093 - 10/02/12 04:15 AM

"If we are considering the same shotgun model for conversion and have a 12 ga. or 16 ga. to choose from, is there a benefit to using a 12 ga. frame if the cartridge will fit into the 16 ga.? Is there a downside to using the 12 ga. in such a case? "

This all depends on the cartridge that you intend to build the rifle in. I build a lot of .450NE sized doubles and feel that the weight should be between 10 and 11 pounds to make the recoil manageable. While a 16B can be used, from a strength stand point, it is hard to get the proper weight. My first .450-3 1/4NE is built on a 16B frame, has over 900 rounds through it, and is still tight, but it only weighs 9.5 pounds - a bit light. Anything bigger than a .450, (500/465, .470, .475, .500) really needs to be on a 12B frame. The .500 is a another break over point - it can be built on a 12B frame, but may end up being a bit light for the cartridge. I feel that a .500 should weigh around 11 pounds, or a bit more. Anything over .500 (.577), needs to be on a 10B frame.

Ellis

--------------------
DBLGN

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6122

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com