Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: Matabele]
      #224152 - 23/01/13 07:52 AM

These step by step progress pictures are very interesting!
Keep going!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: AkMike]
      #225683 - 21/02/13 01:07 PM

Bill,

How's about an update on your progress.

It's been nearly a month now and I need a "fix".

Hoping that you've been just too busy making progress with this and you've forgotten us "onlookers".

Setterguy
.275 member

Reged: 09/06/11
Loc: Washington, USA
Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: twobobbwana]
      #225690 - 21/02/13 02:02 PM

I haven't forgotten nor have I stopped,however, I have run into significant translation problems between the CAD data and programming the CAM machine language. I think as of now I have those bugs worked out but have not yet turned the machine loose on its own. When you get a receiver to the state I have you begin to get a little goosey about ruining it. With a little luck I can post something this weekend but I can't promise. I can only promise to do it as soon as I have something significantly new. I have one side down to a few thousands of finish but it gets serious at that point. Bill

twobobbwana
.333 member

Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: Setterguy]
      #225696 - 21/02/13 02:42 PM

Thanks Bill.

I can understand you not wanting to ruin any of these actions now that they've come so far.

If you're within a few thou you don't have much room for unexpected glitches.

Is this the job that a G Code editor and back plotter should be doing ?????

Don't confuse this question as me professing to know anything of the process. I'm just trying to increase my knowledge of the process.

Once again thanks for allowing us to be "part of the audience" on your project.

Setterguy
.275 member

#225701 - 21/02/13 03:17 PM

I can add some new photos. They are just not as far along as I wanted them to be but they are illustrative of problems you may encounter.

This picture show indexing the mill to begin.

This is the mill progressing.

Mill at back end of travel.

[IMG]IMG]

You perhaps can note from this photo an example of a programming problem. If you look carefully at the top receiver you will see an extra groove that should not be there at the top of the bottom radius. We had to go into the program and find this anomoly and fix it or it would have ruined the receiver. It was only on one side and the other was fine. I was not milling the flats with this mill since we would use a different bit for that. We were only dealing with the radius at the bottom of the receiver.

Here is another shot.

I will try and post some video tomorrow if I can find out how. All for now.----Bill

Edited by CptCurl (13/03/13 09:11 PM)

Setterguy
.275 member

#225774 - 22/02/13 04:20 PM

Twobobbwana, I am not familar with the G. Code editor nor the backplotter. We use a program called Bobcat to visualize the CAD code and translate to the machine CAM code. In theory it should be easy but that is never the case on 3-D programs. That is why the tooling and setup is the majority of the cost and time in CNC processes and virtually never good for one-off jobs. It is simply not worth the cost. I am trying with this entry to post two short videos. I have not done that before so they may not work. I will try some other time and try and learn how. They are not much anyway but they do show how the results were obtained in the still pictures earlier.-----Bill

Edited by CptCurl (04/05/14 08:48 PM)

Setterguy
.275 member

#225777 - 22/02/13 04:25 PM

Well, they do open if you right click on the photo and hit run but it is not smooth like the real machining. However, they do show some information. If someone can tell me a better way to load video I would be happy to try it.-------------Bill

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
      #225794 - 23/02/13 04:42 AM

Amazing machine work. I know little (read that as nothing) of the CAD/CAM whatever machinery business. I get by with a little knowledge and minimal skills on a manual crank machines to suit my needs. This stuff is way over the top!

A question,,is the Win21 action single lug bolting system sufficient to handle the job?
I'd guess factory 45-70 and like pressured loads may not be a problem. The 21 has a lot of leverage in the long bar.
But other rounds that generate higher pressures seem to have given other builders problems.
Seems as though Galazan beefed up the locking system in some way on his 21 DR builds. I talked with David Yale when he was building a 7x57R on a Win21 a few years back. I don't think he ever did successfully complete the project dispite several changes to the design.

I've seen a couple of Parker's done to DRifles and sucessfully so with their single locking lug. They were in 30-30 and in 38-55.

Setterguy
.275 member

Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: 2152hq]
      #225798 - 23/02/13 08:08 AM

2152hq,
First don't confuse me with an expert at this process. This is immersion learning for me; a good deal of it the hard way. The main reason I am posting is for others to learn along with me and see the mistakes as well and I am making plenty of them. I do believe the Winchester 21 action is plenty strong for the job. Winchester itself built a few 405 Winchester rifles on the action. They didn't continue because they couldn't get the accuracy they desired not because of any strength concerns. Also, since I am making the actions as well I am using 4340 steel alloy which has a much higher yield strength and tensile strength than the forged steels that Winchester used in their shotguns. When I harden them they will far exceed any requirements. Winchester 21s were much stronger than Parkers, LC Smiths, or Fox's (I may get some backlash from this statement). Galazan did have some design changes done in anticipation of building large DRs as I understand it;I think in the order of 577.

I really don't have any concerns if I stay about 45,000 psi or below. I would not want to do anything like 60,000 without a lot of true analyses. For example, I would like to build a 6.5X68R but I am concerned with the pressure. Also, since we can modify the internal design by alterning the code I will increase the amount of steel directly behind the striker holes in order to put in bushings and firing pins. That will substantially beef up that potentially weak point. The negative side of that is now having a hammer and firing pin and not a single integral firing pin hammer. The single hammer firing pin is virtually indestructable and can be dry fired as much as you like. Now the firing pin is subject to failure. But it is an acceptable trade-off.

I would really like to talk with David Yale. Would you PM me his contact information? Also, the reason to use the 21 as the basis of the design is my long-time love for the shotgun. It is not the ideal design for a DR but fits my needs since it will pair with the shotgun.

Hope this answers some of your questions.------------Bill

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
      #225809 - 23/02/13 09:27 AM

Thank you for the information. Very interesting to say the least.
Yale either went to the trouble of making separate firing pins w/bushings in that Win21 project or perhaps made smaller integral pins and bushed the breech face. It's been a while now & my recollection is failing me. You'd probably enjoy talking with him. Very talented gunsmith & builder.
I don't recall what all else he altered but I remember him talking about adding a cross bolt lockup to the system as the single underbolt was not enough to retain the action shut all the time.
Don't know if that modification actually came to be or not.

He's a working, advertising gunsmith,,no secret basement type.
Good machinest.

He was for several years in Yellow Jacket, Colorado. That's when I talked to him.

He's since moved his business:
J. David Yale
Delta, CO
970-874-1088

Just goes by 'David'.

Setterguy
.275 member

Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: 2152hq]
      #226440 - 05/03/13 02:35 PM

2152hq,

Thank you for the contact information for David. He and I have had two very good and informative discussions. He did, in fact, build a 7X57R DR Winchester 21 and it did fail by partially opening. He eventually stopped the project. Our discussions have caused me to reconsider the design of the receiver for greater pressure shells. Neither of us believe there is any problem with the 45-70 I am current building but I had intended to follow that shortly with a 6.5X57R. Unfortunately that cartridge is in the same pressure range as David's. So, I must either stay with lower pressure rounds or make design modifications. First let me say that in previous posts I have stated pretty confidently that 45K psi and below should not be a problem and it may not but I am now not so sure. The 7X57R is about 50K so not that far away. Until I know more please take my earlier statements as possbily too optimistic.

There is one difference in my receiver and his. He had an original Win. 21 20 ga and mine will be 4340 alloy with much higher yield and tensile strength hardened appropriately. His failure mode was most likely from elastic deformation allowing the barrels to pivot on the hinge pin enough to partially unlock. He did not experience plastic deformation though i.e. no permanent change in dimensions. So, I should experience less deformation by the metal properties. However, on close examination of the receiver it is relative thin directly behind the standing breech and on the sides near the standing breech. I have already changed the design to leave much more metal ~1/4 inch directly behind the standing breech and will thicken the side panel (boss)as well. This will add much more cross section to the weakest area. I will leave the shape the same but simply make them thicker. I need to add something here for 21 owners who might have a shotgun made after 1960. At the beginning of the custom shop era Winchester decided that the boss was not needed for strength or integrity of the receiver and that has certainly been proven true for the shotgun. However, I do not believe that to be true for a DR conversion. So, I would highly recommend that you not add a DR set of barrels to a straight sided Winchester 21-----------my opinion.

This is one good example of an advantage for the CAD/CAM approach. The modifications are not that hard to make. It will take considerable experimentation to demonstrate to me that all is safe and that is the most important thing.

Thank you again for the reference to David. It has been very important to me. I welcome any and all comments and advice.

I have made some progress and will post some pictures in a few days.------------Bill

ad_bfl
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/13
Loc: California
      #226522 - 07/03/13 03:45 AM

Hi

New user here and I just found this thread.

Very nice work and ambitious,just some off my head questions.

So if I understand correctly you reverse engineered via 3d scanning a model 21 action, imported those files into BobCad, tweaked them into a parametric model, and am using the CAM capability in BobCad to generate and post the G code which your trying to cleanup?

If I have that somewhat correct, what mill and controller?

My reason for asking is that the "post process" where the generic tool path code is tailored for the machine controller can be buggy/problematic.

If the simulator IS the mill controller vs an external controller that may help, but if you using a simulator outside of the mill motion controller that simulator has to know intimate details of the target controller, which if it is a old mill may be hard to get correct.

I would suggest getting some acrylic plastic and testing on that prior to tool touching those beautiful partial receivers.

Do you or the owner of the mill know GCode? or are you tweaking the cam generation process to fix tool path issues? Gcode is pretty simple, and if you have any programming experience you can learn the basics pretty easily:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCGCodeCourse.htm

Bob who owns that site has done a good job on his tutorials.

You can do a LOT with good fixtures, several zeroing points for the main features of the receiver and hand crafted G code for one offs/small runs.

Creating a parametric model is VERY useful at this stage but if your churning mill time because of buggy G code consider moving up to a better CAM package or coding by hand.

I am glad to help in anyway I can on this, I am going down a similar path but your WAY ahead of me at this point,I am still doing tradeoff designs of my fixtures, tooling and indexing.

BTW:I do not own a CAM package mostly because all I do is one offs for my own business am able to get by with simple hand generated Gcode and macros/functions which I verify in my machine controller, then I cut either air or acrylic prior to steel.

Best Regards
Al

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #226541 - 07/03/13 08:22 AM

If you haven't already done so, you might like to look at pictures showing the design changes made to Winch. 21 by CT Shotgun Manufacturing Co. for their large bore rifle version (they do the more normal 21 version for their smaller bore rifle version, as do you). Though the design change for their bigger bore rifle doesn't look terribly pretty, it reveals where beefing up is needed.

Setterguy
.275 member

Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #226990 - 14/03/13 02:06 PM

ad bfi

I will try and answer some of your questions.

"So if I understand correctly you reverse engineered via 3d scanning a model 21 action, imported those files into BobCad, tweaked them into a parametric model, and am using the CAM capability in BobCad to generate and post the G code which your trying to cleanup?"

That is basically correct in that I reverse engineered a Win. 21 but I did make some modifications creating a full 3-D cad file of all the components. We then import portions of those files into Bobcad and generate the G code read by the CNC machine.

"Do you or the owner of the mill know GCode? or are you tweaking the cam generation process to fix tool path issues? Gcode is pretty simple, and if you have any programming experience you can learn the basics pretty easily:"

Yes, G Code is routinely used but there are still anomolies lying deep in the cad code that must be determined during the validation process. You cannot simply load the program, index the item, and expect to have a a perfect copy. You really need to run the code line by line slowly. Remember all the real work is in creating the tooling, fixtures, and debugging the code. Once that is done the machine really will do its job.

"If I have that somewhat correct, what mill and controller?"

HAAS mill and integral controller.

Good luck on your project.

Doublerifle Jack,

Yes, I have seen the Galazan DRs although it was year before last at the Las Vegas gun show where I looked at the heavy caliber version and I didn't study it well. I wish I had now. I know they were going toward a 416 and a 577. I also knew I would not be approaching those. They substantially beefed up the receiver in the area where it is obvious that it is weakest. I agree that it is not especially pretty. They make a 45-70 on the flat side version of the 21 receiver. I think that is really pushing the limits. I will go with the older version with the boss for support. In anything above 45-70 in pressure I will increase the mass of the boss across and above. In addition I will add about 1/4" behind the strikers to really support the bushing and firing pins. Then I will fire a lot of proof loads with careful measurements before and after to ensure I am well within the elastic limits of the receiver. Thank you all for your help.-----Bill

Setterguy
.275 member

#226992 - 14/03/13 02:24 PM

A little progress.

We have completed the validation process for the top and sides of the receiver and milled out two of them. The bottoms will be done inconjuction with the trigger plate. We EDM wire cut out the first two trigger plates as you will see in the pictures below. However, as it seems is always the case, the computer that starts up the EDM failed and now we must find a replacement. The next step is to EDM wire cut the other plane of the trigger plate. As you will see below they are cut to shape in one plane but not the other-------------yet. We are dead in the water until the EDM is back in operation. I suppose we could mill off the rest but the EDM is so much faster and better. I will just have to wait--------------again.

This is one side of the receiver fully meeting all requirements. No polishing has been done so you see all the tooling marks.

The other side with just a tiny bit of polishing of the tooling.

The trigger plates EDM wire cut from the host block of 4340 steel alloy.

A shot to show the comparison of the planes.

A picture of the trigger plate to show it relationship to the cut out.

Other side of the trigger plate to show perspective.

Hopefully I will be back in action before too long. I will post more when I have them.-----Bill

Edited by CptCurl (20/03/13 10:09 PM)

twobobbwana
.333 member

#227016 - 15/03/13 11:58 AM

Bill,

Great to see your progress on this. Persistence is paying off.

You must be getting close to success..............the setbacks are coming more often !!!!!

The great thing about CAD/CAM/CNC is watching what the computer can make the servos do and in turn the mill do.............the worst thing about it is the ivolvement of fickle computers.

You're certainly getting good use out of your EDM, as problematic as it seems to be, it's certainly saving a lot of milling time/milling cutters.

If I'm reading it right you'll be assembling the trigger plate on the action and then machining it along with the underside of the action !!!??? If you can combine this with fixing it with a timed oversize assembly screw it will remove one more process for you.

As you will be producing double rifles and shotguns, and you have a leaning towards mechanisation, will you be using a stock duplicator/pantograph to rough out your stocks ???

I never did manage to make the film clips work. It may be just my technical ineptitude though.

Keep up the good work.

Setterguy
.275 member

#227030 - 15/03/13 03:25 PM

twobobbwanna,
Yes the EDM is a wonderful tool. It can do amazing things and, as you say, saves a tremendous amount of milling. It actually leaves finished surfaces e.g. the water table. I will finish the other plane of the trigger plate, put it on the action and finish the milling. At least that is the plan now. We will see how it goes. I also need the EDM to cut out the area for the locking lug. It will cut out a rectangle then will finish with the mill. Regarding the stocks, you guessed correctly. I have had a 3-D scan done for the reference stock as well. They will not just be "roughed out" though. Since all the receivers will be identical in the mating surfaces, I can make very precise copies that should fit perfectly. With a little glass bedding we should be done. However, this was done in a "mesh" format and I am having trouble converting that to a useable CNC router code. I haven't bored the readers with this little problem since it seems I have a sufficient number otherwise! I have already made the stock for the 45-70 DR from traditional hand duplicating processes from american black walnut. You saw the forearm earlier in the post. The stock pattern for the shotguns is English straight grip to go with the light weight titanium receivers. If your measure of the number of problems being predictive of progress then I am nearing the end!!! The receiver and trigger plate are the real challenges and I think I now have a success path. The other parts are far more predictable and less complicated. For the steel DRs I will simply use existing forearm shoes, trigger guard and top lever. For the titanium shotguns I will have to make them out of titanium. So as soon as I get the receiver and trigger plate made it will not be long before I can shoot the rifle.

Regarding the film clips, right click on the picture. That should open a list of options. Choose the top one, "Open link" and left click on it. It should direct you to my photobucket and automatically start the video.----------------Bill

twobobbwana
.333 member

#227033 - 15/03/13 05:11 PM

Bill,

Regarding the locking lug area. In Max Gera's post on building a double rifle he shows a setup where he machines the radial area in the action where the barrel locking lug fits/mates. There is also a bit of video on www.cncguns.com in "Projects" where it shows a special tool cutting the loading ramp on a Sig (???) pistol frame. I'm sure this would be interesting to you once you cut out the window in the frame for the locking underlugs.

Supposing that your'e offering a "custom" fit for your stocks it'll be interesting to see how many files that you save for stock dimensions. It is my guess that it'll be fewer than a dozen. There can only be so many combinations of Drop at Comb, Drop at Heel, Drop at Toe, Cast off, Cast On,pistol grip lengths and diameters. Length of pull/pitch should be able to be readily cut once the stock is off the duplicator. And there is always bending if you need to "tweak" a dimension.

Please note: Custom stockmakers/Gunfitters I'm not trivialising what you do. I think you do magic. I particularly marvel at the inletting, finishing and checkering that you are so good at. And I do realise that there are huge differences in gunfit between long necked, skinny 6'6" fellas to short necked 4'2" .........err busty women.

It'll be great to see you shoot and regulate your own creations Bill.

It's great to be that "fly on the wall" when you get to watch something like this unfold.....so it must be "giddy stuff" to actuall be a part of making it happen.

Setterguy
.275 member

#227048 - 16/03/13 02:17 AM

Thank you for the kind comments. Regarding the outside radius where the forearm shoe meets the receiver, both of those will be cut on the EDM at precisely the same radius to ensure as good a fit as you can get. You can see that radius on the milled receiver. This is one other area where the EDM cut is final spec. Another is the standing breech. The hinge pin on a Mod 21 is inserted through the side of the receiver and held in place with the cocking lever bolt. Since I will be making the monoblocs from solid stock as well the radius of the locking lug will be exactly the radius of the hinge pin itself. Although I have not seen anyone need to do it, you could make a hinge pin slightly larger or smaller if you needed to tighten up a particular gun. Thank you for the references. I will take a look at them. Hope to get the computer working next week.

I am going to shoot it for sure but Birdhunter50 a.k.a. Bob Hynden is going to regulate it for me. Thank you Bob.

Regarding selling them, I don't know if I will be doing that. I am actually making them for me and my family i.e. a set for my wife, our son, grandson, and daughter. When that is done perhaps I will see if anyone wants one. I don't know and haven't done any marketing. The reason I chose the Winchester 21, was not because it was the most popular or the most likely to sell. I am doing it just because it is what I like and that is enough for me.-------Bill

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #227055 - 16/03/13 06:50 AM

Bill:
I've been following this post from the beginning. Only wish I had the skills to do something like this.
I wanted to relay a story to you regarding the Win 21. Many years ago an old German gunsmith friend of mind had a fine cased Win 21 with two sets of barrels, one 12 gau the second was 405 Win and were suppose to be factory made. Have you ever heard of a factory made Win 21 with rifle barrels?
Bob

Setterguy
.275 member

Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: aromakr]
      #227060 - 16/03/13 08:27 AM

aromakr,
Yes, I have heard of them and seen them. In 1937 the Winchester Research and Development Department built the first double rifle in 405 Winchester. They only built a few because they couldn't get them to regulate to the accuracy that John Olin had specified at 200 yards. The Winchester 21 organization was so oriented to shotguns that rifles simply were not very important to them. Afterall they had the Model 70 rifle and everyone loved it. They just dropped the idea like they did for several prototypes. Do you know what happened to the set?

I see you are from Montana. I have a ranch north of Lewistown near Winifred.------------Bill

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #227067 - 16/03/13 10:59 AM

Bill:
I live in the Bitterroot valley, and have a number of friends in the Lewistown area.
I don't know what happened to that set, Budd had a son that had no interest in Guns or shooting. I'm sure when he passed his collection was just dollar sign's to his son and he had some choice one of a kind pieces. I had bought several really nice Sharpe's rifles from him in the early 60's. Just wish I had been smart enough to hang on to them myself. One was a 74 sporting rifle that had been originally sold to Sir Henry St.John Halford that was Capt. of the British Creedmoor team. Oh well such is life.
Thanks for the response.
Bob

twobobbwana
.333 member

Re: Winchester 21 DR in 45-70 [Re: aromakr]
      #227200 - 18/03/13 02:23 PM

Bill,

The radius that I referred to is where the underlugs engage in the action body. You mentioned that you where going to cut the windows with your EDM...the radius is within these windows.

Now that you've gone this far, and the fact that you're geared up to make 10 or a dozen, it'd be a waste to allow all that production capability/knowledge/expense to be shelved.

I understand that the legal implications and our litigious (if that's how you spell prone to suing) society may put you off..........but you can't have too many good s x s shotguns and double rifles.

By the time you make up your "family guns" you'll have the bugs worked out to the point where production won't be so daunting.

Or perhaps you've got, in your programming/jigs/tooling/machines, a saleable product to somebody who may wish to start such an enterprise.

Whatever happens it's been great to be "along for the ride".

twobobbwana
.333 member

#229183 - 22/04/13 10:42 AM

Bill,

How goes the battle ???

Setterguy
.275 member

#229373 - 28/04/13 02:15 PM

Thank you for asking. The war rages and three battles have been lost but the war continues. We have gotten the computer or its parts back three times all which have failed. The fourth time should be tomorrow. I have made no progress since my last post but hope to soon. Technology is great until it controls your life. As soon as I make more progress I will post.---------------Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 51924

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com