Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Filling Holes?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Filling Holes?
      #165959 - 09/08/10 02:26 PM

I have, and am considering against my better judgement, a rifle with drilled holes in the action.
I know, we all have classics with old scope mount holes in the tops of the rear bridge and/or the top of the front ring.
These holes can be reasonably concealed with filling and stippling etc., but what about holes in the wall - a'la G&H sidemounts? Or, even worse, holes in the side of the front ring?

I have been advised to avoid this situation - unfortunately it is on a Rigby magnum so I have a yearning to resurrect the rifle to its former glory - maybe this is a lost cause?

Is welding out of the question or are there modern techniques which can make this feasable?

No Bouldersmith, I am not ignoring you, but you know how I am about square bridge Mausers...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rolland
.333 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Camp Verde, AZ
Re: Filling Holes? [Re: Huvius]
      #165961 - 09/08/10 04:53 PM

What I do:
Use a countersink 45 or 60 degrees to break the edge of the hole, then install a screw a bit longer so it sticks out a few thousands, if the hole is bored through I use locktite or something simular to lock the screw. cut the head off and very carefully pein or rivet the top of the screw so it fills the top of the hole and the countersink bore. Then file off the remaining part of the screw flush with the receiver. The reason you need to use a counter sink is to get below the threads so you don't have a line where the thread starts, otherwise you will have a dark line part way around the screw.
If done correctly peining the screw will cause it to fill all the voids and with a countersink will blend in with the receiver, you will have to blue or refinish the receiver when done. You might want to see if the screws you use will blue to match the finish some don't take blue well.
It takes practice to get it right, you might wish to practice on a piece of round stock if its the first time to see what it takes.
I have filled a lot of holes like this and when finished you won't see the spot.
I prefer this method as I don't have a Tig welder

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Filling Holes? [Re: Rolland]
      #165996 - 10/08/10 05:22 AM

Rolland,
That sounds like a reasonable way to do it.
Could they be TIG welded or would that build up too much heat on the receiver ring?
The wall holes can be filled by welding I assume, after all, custom short actions are welded up arent they?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Filling Holes? [Re: Huvius]
      #165999 - 10/08/10 06:20 AM

Huvius

It really depends what you want to spend and if you want the job done absolutely correctly.

To do it right, have the action let down (softened) the tig welding done cleaned up, threads chased, engraved as required and then it blocked up to prevent warping and low pressure gas carburised to the correct case depth. Polished and rust blacked.
Got to be done by the right people. If the gun is worth it you know who to send it to.

Now down and dirty on a NON COLLECTORS PIECE. Many times a copper heat sink is made and clamped in place, or a copper "barrel shank" made and screwed in. An experienced welder with a mig welder can put a cosmetic depth spot of weld in place with great speed and next to no heat spread, certainly no more than was used to spot anneal the places where the mount holes were drilled in the receiver ring in the first place. When cleaned up and rust blacked it will not show.

Holes in the side of the receiver ring ?? What Bubba job required those ?? For that I would only consider option (1)

Regards

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: Filling Holes? [Re: Bramble]
      #166086 - 11/08/10 10:29 PM

We all get caught up in saving some of these old treasures, no shame in that. I even know a guy who bought a .404 that needed custom bottom metal made and the whole action replaced in order to salvage the rifle. All kidding aside, that one may be more work than it is worth at the entry price. It is savable.....but how much time and money will it cost is the question.

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 854

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com