Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Newby Here

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
blacksmith
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: montrose, colorado
Newby Here
      #155285 - 02/03/10 03:59 PM

Gentlemen,,,,new to your forum and have been reading numerous posts with much interest,,,,I am an architectural blacksmith and build 1911/1911A1 pistols for a hobby. I am very interested in building a DR and would appreciate your wisdom and input. I just finished reading Brown's book and plan on using an L. C. Smith for my first DR. The Smith is a favorite of mine but unfortunately has a cracked barrel. I realize the Smith will restrict me to the minimun area of rifle cartridges (even the .22/.22 mag) but I want to keep "Her" in the field,,,,,,,your thoughts please, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Newby Here [Re: blacksmith]
      #155286 - 02/03/10 04:18 PM

Welcome.

Hope you enjoy.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Newby Here [Re: 500Nitro]
      #155287 - 02/03/10 04:25 PM

Go to the OSR thread and you will get the gist on the mob here mate..wink!

Welcome.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

blacksmith
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/10
Loc: montrose, colorado
Re: Newby Here [Re: gryphon]
      #155288 - 02/03/10 04:41 PM

gryphon/500 Nitro,,,,thanks for the welcome,,,,,Ugh, what/where is the OSR thread (my ignorance is showing) !!!!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #155297 - 02/03/10 06:39 PM

Quote:

Gentlemen,,,,new to your forum and have been reading numerous posts with much interest,,,,I am an architectural blacksmith and build 1911/1911A1 pistols for a hobby. I am very interested in building a DR and would appreciate your wisdom and input. I just finished reading Brown's book and plan on using an L. C. Smith for my first DR. The Smith is a favorite of mine but unfortunately has a cracked barrel. I realize the Smith will restrict me to the minimun area of rifle cartridges (even the .22/.22 mag) but I want to keep "Her" in the field,,,,,,,your thoughts please, thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Welcome.

Lots of topics on building double rifles on the Building DR and Gunsmithing forum to check out.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #155324 - 03/03/10 02:31 AM

Blacksmith,
I too love L.C. Smiths, BUT, they may not be a good choice for a conversion to a rifle unless you stay way down the line on pressures. The Smith has only the rotating screw that goes through the rib extension for lockup, and even though I have heard of one or two being converted to 45-70's, I would not do so myself. Many people think that they can do this if they stay with low powered loads, failing to realize that someone else could, at a later date, put a much stiffer load in it and cause a blowup.
You could get away with something smaller like a 32-20 or maybe even a 32-40 or 38-40 but then you have the problem of barrel weight.
You didn't say if yours was a 12 gauge but if it is, you are going to have to rapidly thin down the barrels as they come forward off the breech area, otherwise you'll have a gun that looks and swings like a fencepost. I have a 12 gauge Smith that I am going to convert to a muzzleloading rifle using 209 shotgun primer breechplugs screwed into the barrel stub ends and set up to shoot longer 45 caliber muzzleloading bullets. This releives most of the back pressure due to using cartridges. Because it is a pretty much contained system, you don't have to worry as much about a blowout. You will have to be very careful how you seat in the breechplugs though, you will want them just below flush so that there will be just room for the primer skirt between the breech face and the barrels. A new extractor will have to be made up that will just hook under the primer skirts. Whatever you decide to build, be sure to stamp the loading info on it in a very visable place. Good Luck anyway. Bob H.

BlainSmipy
.375 member

Reged: 24/11/05
Loc: Washington, USA
Re: Newby Here [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #155821 - 09/03/10 04:56 AM

Sir,

I would have to agree, that the Smith, while a fine shotgun, does not have the strength needed for a conversion. If you want to keep it in the field, re-barrel it as a shotgun. IMHO

High pressure round need at least three locking mechanisms, along with good strong steel.

BS

--------------------
You horde gold, I horde lead.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 765

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com