Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Barrels crossing?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Barrels crossing?
      #104383 - 06/05/08 06:22 AM

Hi!

How much does your barrels cross, as my bould is on a shotgun it seems as they cross a lot.
I could loose a house (almost) at 400 hundred meters between them. Looking thru the barrels
of course.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Judson
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/05
Loc: St. Albans Maine U.S.A.
Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: 450_366]
      #105117 - 15/05/08 07:13 AM

you will have to shoot the rifle to find out how bad things are or are not. This is best done from a standing rest and to do a good job you will have to do the shooting holding the rifle as close to how you would if hunting and not using the rest. The reason for this is that recoil starts as soon as the primer ignites the powder and the bullet starts to move. Since the centerline of the right barrel is off to the right and the left barrel off to the left of the center line of the rifle here is what happens. With recoil, the right barrel will move up and rotate to the right and the left barrel will do the oppsite. This is why a mechanical rest will not work very well for regulating. You will probably find that acording to a bore siter your barrels after regulating will look as if the will cross a bit. If you need some help feel free to call.

--------------------
It is the small calibers that are the biggest bores.

450_366
.400 member

Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: Judson]
      #105118 - 15/05/08 07:35 AM

Quote:

you will have to shoot the rifle to find out how bad things are or are not. This is best done from a standing rest and to do a good job you will have to do the shooting holding the rifle as close to how you would if hunting and not using the rest. The reason for this is that recoil starts as soon as the primer ignites the powder and the bullet starts to move. Since the centerline of the right barrel is off to the right and the left barrel off to the left of the center line of the rifle here is what happens. With recoil, the right barrel will move up and rotate to the right and the left barrel will do the oppsite. This is why a mechanical rest will not work very well for regulating. You will probably find that acording to a bore siter your barrels after regulating will look as if the will cross a bit. If you need some help feel free to call.

Yeas it did cross a bit or actually a lot.

But is there anyone who could messure their barrels to give a indication
to how much they usually cross.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
      #105123 - 15/05/08 08:52 AM

What works on some rifle may not work on anothe.
Usually shotguns cross too much but it bepends on velocity and recoil as Judson sais.
That way if you choose a heavy recoil and/or slow velocity cartridge you need more "crossing" and viseversa.
But there is much more on individual rifles.
JMHO
Martin

RSFknives
.300 member

Reged: 02/05/07
Loc: Sweden
Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: beleg2]
      #105232 - 16/05/08 01:24 AM

the double i built att the Gunsmithing school
has the barrels cross 20cm @ 100 meters.

/Roger

--------------------
life is to short to own an ugly gun.

http://www.knifeguild.se

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: RSFknives]
      #105283 - 16/05/08 02:28 PM

450 366

I'm not sure this will help, but I measured two seperate 12ga. frames sleeved to 45-70 at the muzzle. One center to center was 1.025 and the other was 1. I checked a similar 12 still a shotgun and it was about .090 Neither rifle crosses at 100yd. but we had to spread the bbls.

450_366
.400 member

Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: dale]
      #105339 - 17/05/08 05:20 AM

Quote:

450 366

I'm not sure this will help, but I measured two seperate 12ga. frames sleeved to 45-70 at the muzzle. One center to center was 1.025 and the other was 1. I checked a similar 12 still a shotgun and it was about .090 Neither rifle crosses at 100yd. but we had to spread the bbls.

Could you messure it on the breech also to see how much the are pointing together?

Quote:

the double i built att the Gunsmithing school
has the barrels cross 20cm @ 100 meters.

/Roger

Thanks that gives me an idea of how huch they could cross and work. Could you messure the difference from center to center in the breech and mussle?

--------------------
Andreas

RSFknives
.300 member

#105393 - 17/05/08 09:09 PM

lets see if i can explain this so there isnīt any missunderstandings,
when i sleaved the barrels, after soldering they crossed the centerline with 10 cm each (left barrel pointed 10cm to the right of C and the other way for the right.)

my DR was built on a BRNO 16 gauge sbs.
the measuremets att the muzzle is 24,8mm C - C
and att the breach it is 26,38mm C - C

the barrels are 596mm long

/Roger

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

#105421 - 18/05/08 06:04 AM

Quote:

lets see if i can explain this so there isnīt any missunderstandings,
when i sleaved the barrels, after soldering they crossed the centerline with 10 cm each (left barrel pointed 10cm to the right of C and the other way for the right.)

my DR was built on a BRNO 16 gauge sbs.
the measuremets att the muzzle is 24,8mm C - C
and att the breach it is 26,38mm C - C

the barrels are 596mm long

/Roger

Great thanks thats about 1,5mm that the barrels are pointing together, i will messure mine and see how much mine are.

--------------------
Andreas

sakmyk
.224 member

Reged: 10/10/06
Loc: Western Finland
      #105430 - 18/05/08 06:53 AM

An old magazine article about a .470NE DR made in Ferlach gives the following information:

C - C at the breech 22,5mm
C - C at the muzzle 20,0mm

Barrel length 64,5cm.

If that 2,5mm is accurately measured, then in this rifle the imaginary bore centerlines cross each other at approximately 5 meters (516cm) in front of the muzzle. In 100m the barrels are in that case crossing some 40cm.

Regards
Saku

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: sakmyk]
      #105443 - 18/05/08 09:53 AM

That is a lot more than mine. They were about .040".

RSFknives
.300 member

Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: Bramble]
      #105451 - 18/05/08 11:05 AM

the distance att the breech is decided by which action you choose,
the distance between the firingpins is most important...
and itīs not the same on many actions.

/Roger

--------------------

sakmyk
.224 member

#105492 - 18/05/08 06:08 PM

I have thought this convergence issue many times in terms of first steps of regulation. Basically, the mechanics of 'convergence - recoil - velocity' are fairly straightforward, or, at least understandable.

Is there any idea of collecting a simple database of relevant variables for example here in this forum. Many of you have regulated doubles from which you know the bullet weight & velocity and the horizontal spread of the POIs between the barrels. Then if you also measure the convergence of the bore axes, this combination of variables would give the very basics of the horizontal regulation of those rifles.

This database could then be used (instead of quesstimation) as a reference when assembling the barrels of a home built DR for the first shots.

Of course the database could also give calculations of recoil velocity if you include the gun and charge weights etc. in variable list. I don't know, however, how much added value that brings to the system, but it might be worth trying.

I guess this kind of database would soon show, if it is useful at all. We do not have to wait the results from newly built DRs, but we can start to explore the data as soon as it gathers. It will fast show if there are certain regular patterns in the behavior of those variables in well regulated doubles.

To my mind this is not even sensitive to the used donor and its breadth at the breech (distance of firing pins). A wide actioned DR is wide at the muzzle end too, and vice versa. It is the convergence at the length of the barrel that counts. Am I right?

Any thoughts of this whole thing?

Regards,
Saku

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #105498 - 18/05/08 08:06 PM

The point most people miss is that the barrels do not converge 'straight'.

The breech-ends of the barrels must be parallel, so that the chambers will be perpendicular to the breech-face. At some point forward of the chambers (usually forward of the forend loop), the barrels are bowed inwards slightly. The amount of convergence required for regulation depends on only the last inch of each barrel.

Placing a laser bore-sighter in the chambers tells you nothing. Placing them in the muzzles might give you some idea.

But remember, each pair of barrels on different rifles will be bowed together in a different curve, which is why the industry has used 'trial and error' regulation for over a century, rather than the impossible empirical solution you are seeking here.

Regulating a DR is usually a challenge, often frustrating, but always immensly satisfying. Just do it!

And BTW, I do have Ellis Brown's little 'Rule of Thumb' card sitting on my bookshelf...

...as a conversation piece!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

sakmyk
.224 member

Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: Marrakai]
      #105512 - 18/05/08 10:14 PM

Thanks Marrakai,

being a scientist I know that it takes much more than what I suggested to find an empirical solution to DR regulation. I'm inclined to think, as I think You're too, that there really is no other method than to shoot & re-solder for a true regulating of a double.

I've loaned my Ellis Brown to one gunsmith friend of mine, so I can't refer to to it right now, and I can't recall the essence of Brown's rule-of-thumb. A quick peek on Gray's 'Hammerless DR', however, is enough to convince everyone about the necessity of the trial & error method in final adjustments.

My idea is just to find some support for the FIRST setting of barrels under construction in home shop, so that the margin of error would be as small as possible for the real final regulation at the range.

You're right that I didn't really think about the curvature between the throat and muzzle in each barrel but, on the other hand, I do not buy that "last inch" statement of yours as such. Although I reckon it to be more of a figure of speech.

My copy of Wright's "Shootin' UK DR" is away with Brown's book, and can't refer that either. But if I recall it correctly, Wright mentions something about the last 4-5 inches of the muzzle in soldering-resoldering, but as I said, I'm not sure. Does any of you have the Wright at hand?

Regards,
Saku

450_366
.400 member

#105542 - 19/05/08 07:46 AM

I put my boresighters in the mussle (bought them thinking i could place them in the breech but woke up one night and hit my forehead ) and they seem to give a hint to where the shots will land.
I messured up my barrels and they were about 26,2mm in the breech and 20,7mm in the mussle.
Thats quite a lot and then i already have spread the barrels about 2mm. Anyway now the lasers come 24cm crossed on about 100m, and they cross at only 3,5m from the breech.

--------------------
Andreas

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #105575 - 19/05/08 01:38 PM

Quote:

I do not buy that "last inch" statement of yours

Sak:
I didn't mean that only the last inch is adjusted during regulation (!). I meant that only the direction of the last inch of barrel can direct the projectile on its path. In order to get the last inch 'pointing right', at least 4 to 6 inches of rib should be unsoldered, probably more for anything but the minor final touches.

Ellis Brown's "Rule of Thumb" card came with his Good Ol' Boys Chinwag DVD, but I believe it is included in the new edition of his book. Someone should get his permission to post it here. If you follow his recipe for converting a shottie, weld the quarter-rib and loop the same distance from the breech, choose the same barrel-length, and are kissed on the dick by a fairy, you will probably find the measurements to be a good starting point.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

sakmyk
.224 member

#105588 - 19/05/08 04:16 PM

Marrakai,

OK - that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Due to the fact that English is not my native language it happens every now and then that I miss nyances or the true essence of what people are writing.

I don't have the Brown DVD. Someone here said that there really is not too much in it that would complement his book. After considering that for a while I decided not to order. That rule of thumb sounds interesting, though.

Regards,
Saku

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
      #105593 - 19/05/08 05:09 PM

For what it's worth, here are the figures.

muzzle center 1. firing pin center 1.170
muzzle center 1.025 firing pin center 1.165

450_366
.400 member

#105595 - 19/05/08 05:21 PM

Quote:

Ellis Brown's "Rule of Thumb" card came with his Good Ol' Boys Chinwag DVD, but I believe it is included in the new edition of his book. Someone should get his permission to post it here. If you follow his recipe for converting a shottie, weld the quarter-rib and loop the same distance from the breech, choose the same barrel-length, and are kissed on the dick by a fairy, you will probably find the measurements to be a good starting point.

Offcourse this was only a question how much the barrels could cross, it wont be a way to regulate.
But it will be a whole lot easyer when nowing what distance from each other i should solder them together.

If some one did a rifle and found out that the barrels should be 2mm further apart, he would hate the job building himself a new set of ribs. I will be start looking for a fairy as soon as its getting dark.

--------------------
Andreas

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #105803 - 22/05/08 03:22 AM

Gentlemen, I think most here are giving the answers to two questions, one that was asked,and one that wasn't asked! IMO, the question he is asking is the amount of conversion of the barrels for a starting point for the physical regulation to be done with the least amount of correction! The other answer is being given is in regard to working up a load after the regulation is done! These are two distinctly different things! "REGULATION" is the physical manipulation of the barrel's conversion to shoot a known load correctly! While "WORKING UP A LOAD" which is mistakenly called "REGULATING" is finding a load the will shoot to the regulation of a finished rifle!

In this case, I think the poster is asking about Physically regulating the barrels. For a starting point for this opperation, one first needs to know the chambering to be used in this rifle. Because the weight, and recoil generated will have great effect on the first setting!

Once we have that the answers can be offered!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

oupa
.300 member

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Maryland,USA
Re: Barrels crossing? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #105811 - 22/05/08 05:40 AM

All of these ideas and calculations are correct as are none of them! That is why the only solution is the tried and true, trial and error method. Every rifle is a bit different, hence every rifle will have a slightly different P.O.I. This is true even of rifles (and shotguns!) of the same make, weight, etc. Sure you can make some calculation maybe to get you close but it'd probably be just as easy to use a BIG target for those first shots and make your calculations for the next soldering according to where the initial P.O.I.'s fall on that large sheet of paper.

That said I do find the idea of assembling some data base of KNOWN convergence degrees (breech to muzzle) interesting, as said simply as a reference in the initial assembly. However, if this truely was useful I'm sure it'd be used by the established makers for many years and someone would know something of it. As yet that doesn't seem the case eh?

At any rate, given the very low numbers of such rifles to be produced by the home craftsman such an approach seems hardly worth the potential benefit. Lacking that is one of those fairies!

450_366
.400 member

#105822 - 22/05/08 08:03 AM

Quote:

Gentlemen, I think most here are giving the answers to two questions, one that was asked,and one that wasn't asked! IMO, the question he is asking is the amount of conversion of the barrels for a starting point for the physical regulation to be done with the least amount of correction! The other answer is being given is in regard to working up a load after the regulation is done! These are two distinctly different things! "REGULATION" is the physical manipulation of the barrel's conversion to shoot a known load correctly! While "WORKING UP A LOAD" which is mistakenly called "REGULATING" is finding a load the will shoot to the regulation of a finished rifle!

In this case, I think the poster is asking about Physically regulating the barrels. For a starting point for this opperation, one first needs to know the chambering to be used in this rifle. Because the weight, and recoil generated will have great effect on the first setting!

Once we have that the answers can be offered!

Well i didnt say what caliber than i tought that if not i would get a whole lot of data concerning conversion. But now when its already lost its a 45-70 with 66cm barrels in a 4kg gun.

Quote:

All of these ideas and calculations are correct as are none of them! That is why the only solution is the tried and true, trial and error method. Every rifle is a bit different, hence every rifle will have a slightly different P.O.I. This is true even of rifles (and shotguns!) of the same make, weight, etc. Sure you can make some calculation maybe to get you close but it'd probably be just as easy to use a BIG target for those first shots and make your calculations for the next soldering according to where the initial P.O.I.'s fall on that large sheet of paper.

That said I do find the idea of assembling some data base of KNOWN convergence degrees (breech to muzzle) interesting, as said simply as a reference in the initial assembly. However, if this truely was useful I'm sure it'd be used by the established makers for many years and someone would know something of it. As yet that doesn't seem the case eh?

At any rate, given the very low numbers of such rifles to be produced by the home craftsman such an approach seems hardly worth the potential benefit. Lacking that is one of those fairies!

I disagre the convergence should be a factor of recoil, elapsed barrel time and weight of the gun.
But you are right that its for the initial assembly. The finetuning could only be made on the range with a torch. But it wouldt take many rifles to see a pattern of convergence.
And if i was used to build doubles and had done so for 150 years i wouldnt need the use for a convergence table either.

--------------------
Andreas

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #105837 - 22/05/08 11:19 AM

Quote:

I disagre the convergence should be a factor of recoil, elapsed barrel time and weight of the gun.
But you are right that its for the initial assembly. The finetuning could only be made on the range with a torch. But it wouldt take many rifles to see a pattern of convergence.
And if i was used to build doubles and had done so for 150 years i wouldnt need the use for a convergence table either.

450_366, and Gentlemen, all regulators at all factories make a primary convergence, by educated guess. This, however, only a starting point, and will most times require several adjustments before the rifle is regulated.

When locking a set of double rifle barrels ( that are already regulated)into a vice with the sights lined up on a target at the distance engraved on the rear sight, what you will see is this!

The right barrel will be pointing to a point that is LOW, and on the LEFT of the POA of the sights, and the LEFT barrel will be looking at a point that is LOW, and on the RIGHT, of POA of the sights. To do this best is to chamber two empty cases, with no primers, and look through the primer hole down the barrel at the target but I suppose you could use a laser bore sighter, but it isn't needed for demonstration. This is because when the right barrel is fired, it rises UP and to the RIGHT. Also when the rifle's LEFT barrel is fired that barrel rises UP, and LEFT. When the convergence is right, the barrel being fired, will be pointing at the same place where the sights were pointing when the trigger was pulled. This is called barrel time. The barrels must be converging, because if they were parallel they would shoot high and wide.

Most folks are confused by this because there are two things that are called regulation, by the makers! ONE is the barrel's needed convergence, and the sights to point to the middle of the composite group of both barrels, and is simply the final adjustment of the iron sights.

Because the sights are REGULATED to a certain distance, it is assumed, by the un-schooled, that the shots cross at that distance, and this is not true. When a rifle is properly regulated, the center of each barrel's individual group is on it's own side of that composite group, and the sights are set half way between these two centers. The right side of the left barrel group, and the left side of the right barrel's group over lap giving you a slightly egg shaped composite group of both barrels, at the elevation marked on the iron sight being used.

The shots in a properly regulated barrel set, and with a proper load, do not cross at any distance, but shoot parallel regardless of distance.

If you tie a double rifle down so it cannot move, with the sights on the point of aim on a target at the distance engraved on the sight, the bullet from the right barrel will hit low, and left, and the left barrel will hit low, and right. This is because the recoil arch has been locked down so the rifle cannot move as the bullet travels down the bore to let the barrels point at the target on the POA when the bullet exits!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

450_366
.400 member

#105848 - 22/05/08 03:20 PM

Sorry if i wasnt clear enough, the regulation i was looking for was the one were the barrels need resoldering. And i quite understand the physics involved that makes the barrels move before the bullit exit. But i anyway want some data on the barrels out there so please anyone?

--------------------
Andreas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1491

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com